Solo content has become too hard for me.

@Diva.4706 said:Title says it. I am not saying the game is too hard for everyone, just that most solo encounters are really hard and I usually fail, (the later queen pavilion solo fights being completely impossible). The constant knock downs and knock backs are very aggravating, making it hard to even play my character. I am more casual and struggle with action combat, coming from more old school type MMOs. So the game has become less fun for me, and I feel the game is moving away from what it once was, and targeted more for the younger audience.

You are completly wrong.

The game is easier now, as people have more and more ascended gear, not like before, when the Queen's gauntlet was released.

@Diva.4706 said:Title says it. I am not saying the game is too hard for everyone, just that most solo encounters are really hard and I usually fail, (the later queen pavilion solo fights being completely impossible). The constant knock downs and knock backs are very aggravating, making it hard to even play my character. I am more casual and struggle with action combat, coming from more old school type MMOs. So the game has become less fun for me, and I feel the game is moving away from what it once was, and targeted more for the younger audience.

I suspect it's gotta be more than the queen pavilion that brings you to say that solo content is too hard in this game. Could you offer more examples? I ask because I'm interested. I find a lot of level 80 content annoying more than too hard but I can totally see why people might have difficulty with some content, so can totally appreciate you feeling this way. I just think that a few different examples might make your point clearer cause it seems that currently it's more about this event than the game in general.

Liadri and the special bosses are supposed to be very challenging. That's why Liardi gives you such a high amount of AP and a title.

@Diva.4706 said:I am as good as I can be, changing class/build won't make ME play better. I'm just not that good. I have played GW2 since launch, so getting better isn't going to happen.That's unfortunate. But that doesn't mean that any content should be made easier so that you are able to do it, it just means that that content isn't for you. The Queen's Gauntlet achievements aren't even required for the meta achievement, so I really don't see the issue here.

I think the issue is the division between players are dramatically increasing and it is proving difficult to balance accordingly. You see by the comments above about “get gud” or “ its too easy, it melts on seconds” that even players still dont get that everyone has different skill levels. I dont really think is an easy answer to sorting the issue - too easy and players complain. Too hard, players complain.

There are definitely parts of this game that just aren't solo friendly. Much of the expansion and story content is like this. It can be done, but it's frequently tedious and annoying even for someone with reasonably decent builds and skills. My opinion is that Toughness and Healing Power don't scale as well as they should for solo play. They should be desirable stats for solo play but the truth is pure offense is usually better for attrition, which is just bad balance.

ArenaNet cannot make everyone happy here. We have players with all skill levels, from ultra-casual to super-hardcore. If ArenaNet tailors the game to the casuals, the hardcore players complain, if the devs tailor the game to the hardcore player base, the casuals will complain. In the end, the game contains a bit of everything, allowing everyone to enjoy the game for at least the part that fits them.

The Gauntlet went quite well for me until I met Liadri the Concealing Dark who functions as roadblock with my skill level. Deadeye Dunwell was quite hard as well, because of his insane damage, but I got him in a few tries. Strugar and Chomper also prove to be quite hard, Chomper killed me a few times after entering berserk mode. The other bosses came quite easy to me.

In story mode, ArenaNet usually includes ways for most players to finish it. For example: players who get defeated may get rezzed over and over again, while the boss retains the damage done to him/her. This basically allows any player with any build and any skill level to finish the content, in a slower pace. Usually, skilled / hardcore players can get extra rewards on the same encounter for not dying, dodging all attacks or finishing special objectives.

@Airdive.2613 said:I think Queen's Gauntlet is mostly a build challenge. If built correctly to match your opponent, your chances of winning improve dramatically.

I've no idea if this is still true... but it definitely was designed to be that back in 2013 when it first came out. Here's a fun fact that not everyone will remember. In 2013, changing builds involved visiting a retrainer to reset traits. ANet put a retrainer in the Pavilion so players did not have to leave to change builds.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:ArenaNet cannot make everyone happy here. We have players with all skill levels, from ultra-casual to super-hardcore. If ArenaNet tailors the game to the casuals, the hardcore players complain, if the devs tailor the game to the hardcore player base, the casuals will complain. In the end, the game contains a bit of everything, allowing everyone to enjoy the game for at least the part that fits them.

The Gauntlet went quite well for me until I met Liadri the Concealing Dark who functions as roadblock with my skill level. Deadeye Dunwell was quite hard as well, because of his insane damage, but I got him in a few tries. Strugar and Chomper also prove to be quite hard, Chomper killed me a few times after entering berserk mode. The other bosses came quite easy to me.

In story mode, ArenaNet usually includes ways for most players to finish it. For example: players who get defeated may get rezzed over and over again, while the boss retains the damage done to him/her. This basically allows any player with any build and any skill level to finish the content, in a slower pace. Usually, skilled / hardcore players can get extra rewards on the same encounter for not dying, dodging all attacks or finishing special objectives.

I am pretty much this. I have seen games in the past add more harder content (because some players want more challenge), and they lost a large part of the player base. A friend I play with has done no content in the festival, because for him it is not fun. I feel he is slowly leaving the game, because he often also comments that the game has got harder.I suspect many players are still running builds from years ago, unaware that anything has changed, because there is no actual gear progression.Anyway, I love MMORPGs, but for me they have evolved into action arcade games, rather than worlds we explore.

@Diva.4706 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:ArenaNet cannot make everyone happy here. We have players with all skill levels, from ultra-casual to super-hardcore. If ArenaNet tailors the game to the casuals, the hardcore players complain, if the devs tailor the game to the hardcore player base, the casuals will complain. In the end, the game contains a bit of everything, allowing everyone to enjoy the game for at least the part that fits them.

I am pretty much this. I have seen games in the past add more harder content (because some players want more challenge), and they lost a large part of the player base. A friend I play with has done no content in the festival, because for him it is not fun. I feel he is slowly leaving the game, because he often also comments that the game has got harder.I suspect many players are still running builds from years ago, unaware that anything has changed, because there is no actual gear progression.Anyway, I love MMORPGs, but for me they have evolved into action arcade games, rather than worlds we explore.

they have never been, all MMORPG I ever played - and those were a lot - are all designed around conflict, be it pve or pvp. Actually, the ones who are stronger on the exploration/make your own game side are the harshest pvp experiences I ever had, like Eve. Because all theme parks pull your strings, some are just better at obfuscating that. But if I had to guess, I'd say you don't enjoy free for all worlds either.

@Diva.4706 said:I am as good as I can be, changing class/build won't make ME play better. I'm just not that good. I have played GW2 since launch, so getting better isn't going to happen.

It's not about a different build making you better (although some builds are easier to play which can help) it's about how the gauntlet works. Each boss has different abilities, which means you need different tactics to fight them.

For example Halmi Hammerfell, the first boss, only has a melee weapon and he's quite slow to attack but does a lot of damage if he hits you. So one option to beat him is to use ranged attacks and stay out his way. When I fought him on my ranger I equipped a signet which gives me a 25% speed boost so I can run away faster than he can reach me and I just stayed out the way and attacked him with my bow until he was dead.

Whereas Windcaller Kieldia's big threat is knockdowns, both from her attacks and from the tornadoes she summons. So using traits or skills which give you Stability is a big help because then you're not spending as much time knocked down and have more time to actually fight.

And again the Gauntlet is supposed to be difficult. Regardless of what other people think of it, whether they genuinely found it easy or they're just showing off. When Arenanet designed it they wanted it to be hard, and to get harder as you go along. If I remember correctly a lot of the fights were designed by Crystal Reid who is now one of the lead raid designers. Every time they mention it they use descriptions like "challenging" "powerful champions" "Increasingly difficult" etc. It's not intended to be representative of solo content generally. Giving up on the game as a whole because you can't beat the Gauntlet would be like giving up because you can't beat raids - it's one optional area designed for people who want an extra challenge. If you don't enjoy that you can just skip it.

@Diva.4706 said:

Has your friend been to Labyrinthine Cliffs? There's almost no combat there and a lot of the activities are intended to be quite easy, like the races (if you don't have PoF you can rent a mount for the skimmer race, and anyone can join the dolyak race). And if you want to do Boss Blitz try getting onto a busy map using LFG - then there will be more people to help.

If your build is ok to begin with and you're properly geared up, you may not need to play around with your build too much. You can do quite a bit with just swapping weapons and utility skills around. Boss has too much CC? Slot in skills/weapons that give stability, blocks, invuln, aegis, or evades. Even stun breaks should work since most of the gauntlet bosses were from before the recent trend of unbreakable stuns.

@Biff.5312 said:The thing is, if you are a casual player, you shouldn't expect to be able to beat all the content. Why not stick to casual play? There's tons of content in this game that isn't difficult.

True enough, however, there appears to be a trend toward more difficult scenarios in the personal story which I believe ought to be something that can be done solo. Even us casuals should have a fair shot at progressing through the story line without raid-like mechanics. I am not saying story = raid .... rather, to some it is beginning to feel that way.

Absolutely, optional content should have a variety of difficulty as the player base is so diverse but the story content shouldn't. At least, not as current trends appear to be.

@Diva.4706 said:I am as good as I can be, changing class/build won't make ME play better. I'm just not that good. I have played GW2 since launch, so getting better isn't going to happen.

If you are unwilling to learn the basics, you won't get far anywhere in GW2. Refresh your knowledge on the stats, pick a weapon type (two if your class allows) and build around that. If your weapon inflicts a fair amount of conditions, go with one of the various condition builds. If your weapon is deals pure damage, build around that.

Learn the limitations of what you are using and base your tactics around that.

It honestly doesn't matter whether any of us responding think the Gauntlet is too hard or too easy or just right; what matters is that the OP is finding it hard.

Likewise, though, people who think it's too hard should also consider the possibility that a new approach might make it feel easier. So instead of arguing with those offering suggestions, try out the ideas, see if any work. As players, we can make adjustments to our build/style right now, whereas even if ANet agreed with the OP, the Gauntlet won't change this year. (Plus, there's good reason to doubt that they'd agree.)

And if adjusting doesn't appeal, that's okay, too. There simply will always be content in the game that doesn't appeal to everyone. There's no need for people who hate parkour to bang their head against JPs. Not everyone has to learn to fly a griffon well enough to complete an adventure. There's plenty going on in the Festival without running the Gauntlet.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a certain style of gameplay and not wanting to adjust that style to fit different content, whether it's new or recycled. But that doesn't mean that the game should change to suit that style.

It's kind of funny. Hardly anyone actually understands. It isn't my build, it's that I have a hard time moving/dodging & using abilities at the same time. It's just too much. When I have literally a split second to react and move out of multiple red rings. I don't have the skill set. Action combat is my nemesis.

@Diva.4706 said:It's kind of funny. Hardly anyone actually understands. It isn't my build, it's that I have a hard time moving/dodging & using abilities at the same time. It's just too much. When I have literally a split second to react and move out of multiple red rings. I don't have the skill set. Action combat is my nemesis.

How can you be so sure that some other build wouldn't make it seem easier? I accept that active combat is challenging for you; I find it hard to believe that it's not worth your time trying some of the suggestions.

Alternatively, if you're convinced that it's you & not your build, why are you so convinced this is a change of direction for the game? The tier 1-3 encounters are virtually unchanged from 4 years ago, and yet we have new skills, gear, & specializations to fight them. Maybe it's just that there's always been parts of GW2 that don't appeal to you.