Best Birthday yet

Tasida.4085

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Oglaf.1074" said:Any screenies of the sets out yet...?

Is the light set on the left, medium in the middle and heavy on the right? I assume so, since that's the order they're listed in but I couldn't see anything on the pictures to say which is which and apart from the heavy set they look fairly interchangable to me.

Not sure why the female heavy set needs a tea towel tucked into the belt, but other than that they look nice. I'll have to wait and see them on my characters before choosing one though as most of mine aren't human and I assume they look different on other races (especially charr and asura).

They probably will also look better with less... contrasting dye job.

Also the female light one has actual trousers..!

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Any screenies of the sets out yet...?

Is the light set on the left, medium in the middle and heavy on the right? I assume so, since that's the order they're listed in but I couldn't see anything on the pictures to say which is which and apart from the heavy set they look fairly interchangable to me.

Not sure why the female heavy set needs a tea towel tucked into the belt, but other than that they look nice. I'll have to wait and see them on my characters before choosing one though as most of mine aren't human and I assume they look different on other races (especially charr and asura).

Light, medium, heavy correct

@Oglaf.1074 said:

Dang it, and I was literally just mashing F5 on Dulfy. :astonished:

Edit: oooooOOOOOoooo I really like the heavy helmet with the poofball tail and visor...!

I haven't chosen mine yet, but heavy is my preferred at this point

@Oglaf.1074 said:

They probably will also look better with less...
contrasting
dye job.

In that case I might pick light since there's no other trousers (except the embroidered ones and those have random holes in the sides) and I think I have a better selection of medium and heavy armour in general.

I actually like when people use contrasting dyes in screenshots like this because it makes it obvious what the dye channels are. If the colours are too similar it can be hard to tell if differences are due to different materials affected by the same dye or different dyes. I do the same in-game sometimes, if I can't tell what a channel affects I'll put a really bright, contrasting colour into it so it stands out. Weirdly there are some armour sets where a dye channel only affects pieces which are almost always hidden (like details on the belt on medium armour, which is almost always covered by the top).

@Gandrogh.1530 said:Permafrost or sea abyss as reward. They are the whitest and the blackest dyes available

If you're planning to use Abyssal Sea on something specific I strongly recommend previewing it before choosing it. On some materials (mainly cloth) its pure black, on others it fades from black to turquoise or just looks dark green/blue. Kind of like Midnight Ice/Fire or Heirloom.

I love that and I'm planning to get it for exactly that reason - I think it will look amazing on some armour and especially mounts with the 'two-tone' effect, but I can imagine someone being very disappointed if they got it expecting to make their heavy armour look darked than Shadow Abyss and found it goes green instead.

@Danikat.8537 said:

contrasting
dye job.

In that case I might pick light since there's no other trousers (except the embroidered ones and those have random holes in the sides) and I think I have a better selection of medium and heavy armour in general.

I actually like when people use contrasting dyes in screenshots like this because it makes it obvious what the dye channels are. If the colours are too similar it can be hard to tell if differences are due to different materials affected by the same dye or different dyes. I do the same in-game sometimes, if I can't tell what a channel affects I'll put a really bright, contrasting colour into it so it stands out. Weirdly there are some armour sets where a dye channel only affects pieces which are almost always hidden (like details on the belt on medium armour, which is almost always covered by the top).

Oh I didn’t mean to imply that Dulfy does anything wrong. Contrasting dyes like that are great for demonstration purposes.

But of course the sets will look way better with “proper” dye job in the end.

@Danikat.8537 said:

contrasting
dye job.

Light armor has pants but it also has a buttcape.

Actually light is a skirt and medium is pants with butttcape (for human females): http://dulfy.net/2018/08/24/gw2-sixth-anniversary-birthday-gifts/

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Gandrogh.1530" said:Permafrost or sea abyss as reward. They are the whitest and the blackest dyes available

If you're planning to use Abyssal Sea on something specific I strongly recommend previewing it before choosing it. On some materials (mainly cloth) its pure black, on others it fades from black to turquoise or just looks dark green/blue. Kind of like Midnight Ice/Fire or Heirloom.

I love that and I'm planning to get it for exactly that reason - I think it will look amazing on some armour and especially mounts with the 'two-tone' effect, but I can imagine someone being very disappointed if they got it expecting to make their heavy armour look darked than Shadow Abyss and found it goes green instead.

After 6 years, I know to preview dyes but thank you very much for the reminder because sometimes I get carried away and click "choose" before really thinking about it. Abyssal Sea is gorgeous on metal armor but agree it's only so-so on cloth. And while I have never gotten the love for Permafrost -- it seems to wash out all details -- I'll probably get it anyway, because it's so blinding. Vabbian Bronze is great on metal as well.

• ArenaNet Staff

Thanks for all the positive comments! I will be sure to include this thread in this week's internal newsletter, as it's always cool to share player responses to new things.

I hope everyone continues to enjoy their gifts. Remember: Cake is a treat, not a meal, so don't down too much of the sugary stuff. :D

@Izzykins.8624 said:Congratulations and Happy birthday everyone!! @"Gaile Gray.6029" Do you suppose characters that were deleted (example: if it was your oldest one) can be restored? I put in a ticket because I deleted my oldest toon before I even knew GW celebrated CHARACTER birthdays and not accounts ._.

You'll have to submit a formal ticket making the request. Chance are no, because so much time has elapsed and there isn't a "backup" of the specific toon. And it might not be possible unless you have an available character slot.However, it costs you nothing to ask.

PS Be clear about what you're asking. There was a similar post about this and the player made if very tricky for anyone reading to know just which toon they were asking about and what they wanted from it. So for example:

I'd like to restore my character, Izzy Kinz, created on or near 27 Aug 2012. I am hoping to get anniversary presents from them. Unfortunately, I deleted them to roll a different profession, without realizing the consequences.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:I haven't chosen mine yet, but heavy is my preferred at this point

I'll admit that I was really, really torn between light and heavy, but in the end Light won out because the character who opened it is a Weaver.

This Weaver:
MkdgwYD.jpg

If only the game allowed your armour to change dye depending on your attunement, eh?

FYI if anyone's thinking of getting the light armour for the trousers be aware that the skirt it part of it too, not part of the top.

(And also previewing just the skirt/trousers, using the code from Dulfy, and then trying to preview the full thing appears to have crashed the game. But that might be a one off.)

@Ashantara.8731 said:OMG, how come I got mine as well when I did not participate in the beta? :o 2190 days. <3

It's nothing to do with the betas, everyone's accounts were reset between the betas and launch. It's your oldest character from launch onwards, and today is the anniversary of the first day of the headstart period so the oldest characters first birthdays are today.

(Well, technically tomorrow is the anniversary, but computers don't easily understand leap years, the birthdays are just every 365 days, so it's today.)

Archived