Superior Sigil of Nullification [Merged]

Kirkas.1430

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:The various points made on this thread aside, I don't understand why any Sigil or Rune can exist without there being either a recipe to craft them, or a vendor from which to purchase them. I'm willing to accept that some sigils/runes are only available from vendors for map currency or game mode currency, but anything else should at least be craftable using mats that can be acquired as normal.

Imagine if you were planning to craft Feathers of Dwayna (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Feathers_of_Dwayna) when this patch hit? (Note that weapon is part of a collection achievement). Boy, would you be peeved...

Considering the price of that luxury item, a temporary increase in price barely mattersand currently instantly buying it saves you 119g over crafting it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Cyninja.2954" said:The armor is not required, thus the entire argument about grindfestwars is misplaced. It's an optional armor set which offers people something to do. Even at current highest cost of 16g per Sigil this set comes out as approximately 450 gold (lower now since Sigils have dropped and will continue dropping mid- to longterm) it is comparable to alternatives both gem wise in the shop as well as other cosmetic items and collections.

Define easy or quick? There is multiple gold farms in this game which allow 20-30 gold per hour. That's 10 hours for a new player if he starts at 0 gold to get the set. There has been far worse farms or grinds in both GW2 and just about any other MMO (some of which are NOT optional).

Collections are meant as mid- to long term goals. The fact that people finish these within 1-2 days after release just shows that people are willing to no life the game. Taking the 3 month cadence between releases, it is absolutely possible to finish most collections within this time frame. That is what they are balanced around.

If Arenanet is sucking the fun out of the game for you, then you are playing and focusing on the wrong content. Having an OCD wanting to finish every collection even though you do not enjoy the process is on you, not Arenanet.

It's always the same thing: players want unique and prestigious rewards (and/or long term goals) but then are unwilling to both pace themselves and/or invest the time and resources required.

If you try to finish every bit of new content/collection within 24 hours of release and complain only to then again complain 1 week after the patch that you are left with nothing to do, then you are doing it wrong and will leave the game. There is nothing Arenanet will be able to do against this insanity.

Collections vary in time and effort needed. But let's speak for the requiem collection. How much time should this collection need if the sigil have kept its normal price in TP?

I really can't see the "prestigious and unique" item here that should cost some hundreds of gold to be acquired. I only see some smart people benefitting from this because a developer was short-sighted when designing the collection. This collection under normal circumstances wouldn't cost neither time nor gold.

Last but not least, I am one of those players that is willing to put effort (when I have time) and finish content asap. I don't see anything wrong in this and I am sure there are many players with the same mentality. How is this relevant to "an item going from 2,5 silvers to 10 gold" is beyond my understanding.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Ralith Arkane.8371" said:This was an item that was worth next-to-nothing and thus most of the "generated supply" over the years was sold to merchants because it was
literally not worth it to put it on the trading post.
As someone pointed out earlier, there were only 1600 units at one point, and less than 60 at another since the patch has come out. 1600 is not enough to supply even a small fraction of the player base participating in the new content with the required mats. The other point is that this is a skin set not an ascended armor set, so it should not be 40 x 9g ea to 360g. 360g could make an ascended armor set, easily. The sigil requirement would not be such a big deal if the final result was a set of ascended armor rather than just a free skin application.

Also that's not including the ectos, Amalgamated Gemstones and other costs.

Not to mention the fact that the cost of this has not been designed by ArenaNet. The current cost is not the result of a deliberate decision by ArenaNet it's purely a matter of supply and demand, in sure some early buyers have made a killing here.

It may have not been a deliberate decision by ANet, but they control the economy as well as the ramifications of new content requirements. This was an easy one to foresee.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:If you don't want to pay today's market rate, wait. The sigil has no other use. Once the excitement dies down, it will fall to sub 20 silver or even vendor value. It also drops randomly from forging any four rare sigils and directly from a handful of exotics that contain it.

It is not sustainable. The sources are too costly or rare.

Perhaps treat it like they did with Amalgamated Gems. Still costly, but you can make more.If you look, Superior Mischief has a similar history and never recovered. But it wasn't an 'Aura Armor' so the outcry wasn't as great.

I am checking this topic for a while now, mostly since I noticed that this sigil's price is inflating a lot.

I see that a lot of people are defending the use of this Sigil for the recipe, for wathever reason that could it be.1- To make the set cost moreIt is a really cool looking set, I won't deny, but if the cost was the issue, it could have been implemented using a pre-determined bullion like the Icy Runestone.

2- To make so that it takes a while to obtainThere are many ways to be sure that the set could take more than a couple hours to get, like timegated accountbound crafts, timegated events and so on.

But the thing that most people ignore when trying to defend the use of this Sigil, is the consistency.

From reading the posts, we know that this Sigil has very limited sources:A Choice of reward for getting to lvl 64Random reward for mixing 4x Major Sigils on the Mystic Forge.Salvaging some really pricey Mystic Forge crafts or random rare Exotic drops.

The amount of randomness involved with obtained these, really throws consistency in disarray.

But the thing that really bothered me about this situation, was that I saw the ArenaNet flag on the post, meaning that knowledge of this is already with the developers within hours of the inflation problem, and worst, apparently a representative posted something and then removed it.

A response from a ArenaNet representative would greatly help with the situation, just to inform people on what are the plans regarding this.

@"Daniel.9713" said:But the thing that really bothered me about this situation, was that I saw the ArenaNet flag on the post, meaning that knowledge of this is already with the developers within hours of the inflation problem, and worst, apparently a representative posted something and then removed it.

A response from a ArenaNet representative would greatly help with the situation, just to inform people on what are the plans regarding this.

The thread has been merged with another similar one. I'm not up on how the Forum works, but would that merge mean that the thread has been 'visited' by an Anet employee and hence show the Anet tag?

Personally I hope we don't get the "if we stay silent and dont say anything it will go away of its own accord or they'll soon forget it" treatment.....

As I said, we won't get a single word from ANET, cause ANET knew what they were doing and they wanted to do it. The sigil problem is not an unforeseen problem at all. They wanted this.

1) There were over 25,000 sigils on sale for less than 3s each before the patch was released.2) There was a leak the same day the patch was released, with details of the new use for that particular sigil3) There was (at least) 1 player that bought all the sigils and is (or are) putting them on sale now slowly, keeping the supply low and the price high

How does this benefit Anet?Many ppl will buy gems to convert them in gold and buy the sigils to have the armor as soon as possibleMany other ppl will start playing alts to get the sigil as a lvl 64 reward, some of them buying also gems in the process.

@Andy.5981 said:

Define easy or quick? There is multiple gold farms in this game which allow 20-30 gold per hour.

There are? Could you let us all know where they are so that we can all share the wealth...

Are you serious or just new to the game?

1. RIBA
  2. daily fractals
  3. Palawadan in Istan
  4. Winterberry Forest when converting Unbound Magic from berries comes close to 20g given enough characters
  5. sets of 8 dungeon runs
  6. Leather Farm
  7. VB -> TD -> AB daily
  8. Tomb of Primeval Kings 6 chest (give average 50 silver par character for 2 minutes of running to all of them)

and those are just off the top of my head. You being unaware of popular farms is not the fault of the game.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Are you serious or just new to the game?

1. RIBA
  2. daily fractals
  3. Palawadan in Istan
  4. Winterberry Forest when converting Unbound Magic from berries comes close to 20g given enough characters
  6. Leather Farm
  7. VB -> TD -> AB daily
  8. Tomb of Primeval Kings 6 chest (give average 50 silver par character for 2 minutes of running to all of them)

and those are just off the top of my head. You being unaware of popular farms is not the fault of the game.

I have found that it is not necessarily that players do not know that these farms exist, it is more that they do not understand how to profit. I have had a number of players say they have run the farms but didn't "earn gold." So it is more a matter of players expecting the gold to come rolling in after 1 run (they think the gold comes in the form of drops or event rewards) rather than through TP investing with mats etc. Perhaps, if you have a guide or info on how to make gold from these farms, you could link it along with your list.

Edited for clarity

@Pirindolo.9427 said:As I said, we won't get a single word from ANET, cause ANET knew what they were doing and they wanted to do it. The sigil problem is not an unforeseen problem at all. They wanted this.

1) There were over 25,000 sigils on sale for less than 3s each before the patch was released.2) There was a leak the same day the patch was released, with details of the new use for that particular sigil3) There was (at least) 1 player that bought all the sigils and is (or are) putting them on sale now slowly, keeping the supply low and the price high

How does this benefit Anet?Many ppl will buy gems to convert them in gold and buy the sigils to have the armor as soon as possibleMany other ppl will start playing alts to get the sigil as a lvl 64 reward, some of them buying also gems in the process.

2 point is wrong there was no leak just someone playing and unlocking the collection quickly.If there was a leak you would have seen people buy the stuff the second episode hit instead of an hour or two after.

@keenedge.9675 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:If you don't want to pay today's market rate, wait. The sigil has no other use. Once the excitement dies down, it will fall to sub 20 silver or even vendor value. It also drops randomly from forging any four rare sigils and directly from a handful of exotics that contain it.

It is not sustainable. The sources are too costly or rare.

Perhaps treat it like they did with Amalgamated Gems. Still costly, but you can make more.If you look, Superior Mischief has a similar history and never recovered. But it wasn't an 'Aura Armor' so the outcry wasn't as great.

It doesn’t need to be sustainable as demand isn’t sustainable either. Demand will give out well before supply does.

@Clyan.1593 said:

@"Malediktus.9250" said:150g-200g is still cheap and very reasonable for this kind of quality armor set. On par with converting gold to gems for a gemshop outfit. People blowing this "problem" out of proportions whenever they cannot unlock something the minute they see it.Even t3 cultural armor which is ancient costs quite a bit over 100g.

Sure, you can argue like that. But yesterday evening the TP had only 1600 sigils of nullification for sale. Now divide that by 25...Where do all the sigils come from for all the other players? They have to buy the weapons I guess, but some of them are crazy expensive.I personally think they shouldnt have used a sigil that has no recipe. That's quite the mistake.

You’re forgetting how much of that supply cycles every day. I remember a thread about precursors years ago and a dev missed transaction data which showed that the inventory turned over much more often as indicated by looking at just a graph.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Define easy or quick? There is multiple gold farms in this game which allow 20-30 gold per hour.

There are? Could you let us all know where they are so that we can all share the wealth...

1. RIBA
  2. daily fractals
  3. Palawadan in Istan
  6. Leather Farm
  7. VB -> TD -> AB daily

Well I've read and re-read my post and I'm trying to work out how I said it was the fault of the game.

No I'm not new to the game, I've just never seen the attraction of farming the same things time after time after time.

So are you telling me that you can do all 8 things mentioned above in 1 hour and get 20-30 gold?

Excuse my ignorance as well, my abbreviation dictionary might not be the same as yours.

@Andy.5981 said:

1. RIBA
  2. daily fractals
  3. Palawadan in Istan
  6. Leather Farm
  7. VB -> TD -> AB daily

Well I've read and re-read my post and I'm trying to work out how I said it was the fault of the game.

No I'm not new to the game, I've just never seen the attraction of farming the same things time after time after time.

So are you telling me that you can do all 8 things mentioned above in 1 hour and get 20-30 gold?

Excuse my ignorance as well, my abbreviation dictionary might not be the same as yours.

No. Many of them like RIBA and Istan you can just stick to one of them and farm it infinitely to earn gold to purchase the sigils as suggested.

I only see RIBA, Istan, and the Jahai farm yielding enough to provide 20-30G/hr.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

1. RIBA
  2. daily fractals
  3. Palawadan in Istan
  6. Leather Farm
  7. VB -> TD -> AB daily

No. Many of them like RIBA and Istan you can just stick to one of them and farm it infinitely to earn gold to purchase the sigils as suggested.

I only see RIBA, Istan, and the Jahai farm yielding enough to provide 20-30G/hr.

Thank you for the explaining. I think I'll stick to playing the game rather than endless cycles of the same thing.

It is interesting to note that there has been a supply drop in nearly all forms of Superior Sigils since the price spike in the Superior Sigil of Nullification. It seems that players are hedging against a future use being added for many of the undervalued items.

I will reiterate my prior points on Sigils/Runes:

1. Every one should have a recipe.
  2. Every one should be salvagable.
  3. Legendary Weapons should get the ability to swap Sigils without losing them.

@Andy.5981 said:

1. RIBA
  2. daily fractals
  3. Palawadan in Istan
  6. Leather Farm
  7. VB -> TD -> AB daily

Thank you for the explaining. I think I'll stick to playing the game rather than endless cycles of the same thing.

The hilarious irony is how you'll have to repeatedly farm Jahai for the Mistonium you need for not just the first 6 pieces, but the 12 after that too. Mistonium doesn't drop like Winterberries.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

1. RIBA
  2. daily fractals
  3. Palawadan in Istan
  6. Leather Farm
  7. VB -> TD -> AB daily

The hilarious irony is how you'll have to repeatedly farm Jahai for the Mistonium you need for not just the first 6 pieces, but the 12 after that too. Mistonium doesn't drop like Winterberries.

Or just be patient and accumulate the necessary Mistonium gradually over time by doing other stuff (3 per day from home Mistonium node, various amounts from catching events or various node spawns while working on various achievements on the map, etc). I've never attempted to farm Kralkatite Ore which seems similarly hard to obtain, but I had amassed ~1150 of them by just doing daily home instance mining and doing a bit of map completion in Istan with some alts before spending some of it a few days ago.

@Kalendraf.9521 said:

1. RIBA
  2. daily fractals
  3. Palawadan in Istan
  6. Leather Farm
  7. VB -> TD -> AB daily

Or just be patient and accumulate the necessary Mistonium gradually over time by doing other stuff (3 per day from home Mistonium node, various amounts from catching events or various node spawns while working on various achievements on the map, etc). I've never attempted to farm Kralkatite Ore which seems similarly hard to obtain, but I had amassed ~1150 of them by just doing daily home instance mining and doing a bit of map completion in Istan with some alts before spending some of it a few days ago.

Missing the point of my retort, but whatever :) I'm 10/18 of The Best Offence so far, I've no qualms using my characters in Jahai. The retort was to the 'sticking to playing rather than endless cycles of the same thing' of which Jahai/Mistonium is under that umbrella!

@Mewcifer.5198 said:I see a lot of people saying it's no big deal because they just leveled a bunch of characters to get the sigils. That's fine and all for them, but leveling and deleting characters should NEVER be the main way an item is introduced into the game's economy.I agree that it shouldn't be the main option for getting the sigil. On the other hand, keyfarmers (who already level and delete characters regularly) are probably enjoying this. For those that do the weekly key farm (3 BLKs by level 60), they can tack on a few more levels and earn an additional ~10g+ profit by getting the sigil and selling it.

@gerrylix.5234 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Supply will sort itself over time as players go back to leveling new characters (veterans are starting to get those instant level 60 scrolls) and playing other areas where they can get the drops that have those sigils. Arc being such a drop that stands out as I used to get it a lot.

Sure, over a long period of 6 month or more this sigil might come down again.But who cares if a material for current content has a reasonable value in half a year?I also don't see any argument for this price tag, the collection has plenty other stuff to buy and grind.

Anet just didn't think about the consequences and we are getting 0 response.
Looking at some TP charts makes me even think that this stinks a bit and can very well be insider trading.

Or it'll be sooner than that. I can see the price being around a gold each by the next episode release.

I suggest looking at the charts more closely before throwing out the accusation of insider trading.

"can very well be" =/= accusation

But as a longtime EVE player i know very well what bounderies devs sometimes overthrow for personal gain.It is a possibility and not a fact and in the end it doesn't really matter who bought 18k sigils in one swoop.

What matters is that the economy is damaged big time and takes away fun from many players for an unforseeable future unless it is fixed.

as we have seen may times in the past ... either it fixes itself or Anet intervenes. Threads like this are rehash and useless.

@killermanjaro.5670 said:I can understand some collections needed as gold sinks, but this one is just ridiculous. Its backed poorer players into a corner of either ignore the collection, wait for what will most likely be an extremely long time in the hope the prices come down (limited acquisition methods and rich tp players will make sure prices are high for a while yet), or give in to extortionate prices which once again helps the rich get richer.

If collections have to be gold sinks then I think they should just have items with a fixed vendor price like the griffon collection, that way there's max cost, everyone pays the same, and it doesn't mean the rich can monopolise the supply to try and extort the poor.

I don't get this mentality ... poor players are disadvantaged because they are poor and they are poor simply because of how they play the game; the choices THEY make. Never should Anet not do something because of the 'poor' people ingame. That's just not a consideration to game design.

Archived