Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Recommended Posts

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"Swagger.1459" said:This affords a veteran player the option to do MORE of what THEY like to do during THEIR game time, while still earning a current they might need or that item they might want.Nice theory, but unfortunately humans don't work that way. A sizeable number of the so-called veterans will just use it to power-farm whatever is considered the most profitable content of the time, to the detriment of not only their own enjoyment but also the health of the game population as a whole.

I said it before: the game wins nothing from even more people grinding out events in the Silverwastes and Istan instead of participating in content all over the game world.

That's not a "theory", that's a fact. If a veteran player earned an additional "universal" trade-in currency, for specific "things" like other currencies, that gives them more time to do things THEY want to do because they are still progressing...

Players like doing different things and will keep doing them regardless... And who cares if someone farms or doesn't farm? What does it matter to you personally? Why would it matter to you if someone else wanted to play the game and go kill 1000 champions or complete 200 meta events to earn an account bound permanent banker?

And this right here clearly tells me you didn't really think about the suggestion more "to the detriment of not only their own enjoyment but also the health of the game population as a whole.".

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@miraude.2107 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:But this system would not be the answer.

and how do you know that?

I'd be excluded from your vet system even though I've been playing for 4 years as the only criteria I meet is the core story and the meta events is so vague I don't know if you are talking world bosses or all the significant events that happen in a zone. Want to know how to make me feel like I should leave the game? Initiating the system you have decided upon. It would definitely make me feel that even though I have given money to the game, the devs do not want me as I'm not the player they are after. They want those that will grind away at the game, not casually log on and dink around doing random things for a few hours then logging off.

Why not expand on what they already reward in the system, the yearly birthday gifts? Year 4 you get a backpack, why not add some things into that for retention like weapon/armor skins, mount skins or the like? A vendor in each city that is like Dry Tops that each year you have played gets you access to items from that tier that you can buy. Add a growing instance that can be decorated like ESO's housing system or Rift's dimensions and visited by others. It starts out small but each year you get a wing added that you can expand on and show your accomplishments. Something other than this 'you aren't a vet because you don't raid/pvp/wvw/fractal/etc.' I've played enough games to know, that those that have introduced systems like that don't last long as the community gets so toxic to new players, the new players look elsewhere.

"I'd be excluded" isn't a valid argument. Eventually you can be included by playing and participating. Right?

Because I chose not to make a topic that expands on 1x per year, per character, b-day gifts. B-day gifts are not even closely related to this topic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:This affords a veteran player the option to do MORE of what THEY like to do during THEIR game time, while still earning a current they might need or that item they might want.Nice theory, but unfortunately humans don't work that way. A sizeable number of the so-called veterans will just use it to power-farm whatever is considered the most profitable content of the time, to the detriment of not only their own enjoyment but also the health of the game population as a whole.

I said it before: the game wins nothing from even more people grinding out events in the Silverwastes and Istan instead of participating in content all over the game world.

That's not a "theory", that's a fact. If a veteran player earned an additional "universal" trade-in currency, for specific "things" like other currencies, that gives them more time to do things THEY want to do because they are still progressing...

Players like doing different things and will keep doing them regardless... And who cares if someone farms or doesn't farm? What does it matter to you personally? Why would it matter to you if someone else wanted to play the game and go kill 1000 champions or complete 200 meta events to earn an account bound permanent banker?

And this right here clearly tells me you didn't really think about the suggestion more "to the detriment of not only their own enjoyment but also the health of the game population as a whole.".

Just cause you say it is a fact does not make it a fact, where is your info, your research ?

This idea of yours is just "What you Want" this system wouldn't be better then the current, its more restricting. Better to add then to change. Personally am a veteran of GW2 played for 6+ years and played GW1 since launch of Factions and I wouldn't enjoy your system any more then I do the new maps having to grind out currency for each one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@starhunter.6015 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:This affords a veteran player the option to do MORE of what THEY like to do during THEIR game time, while still earning a current they might need or that item they might want.Nice theory, but unfortunately humans don't work that way. A sizeable number of the so-called veterans will just use it to power-farm whatever is considered the most profitable content of the time, to the detriment of not only their own enjoyment but also the health of the game population as a whole.

I said it before: the game wins nothing from even more people grinding out events in the Silverwastes and Istan instead of participating in content all over the game world.

That's not a "theory", that's a fact. If a veteran player earned an additional "universal" trade-in currency, for specific "things" like other currencies, that gives them more time to do things THEY want to do because they are still progressing...

Players like doing different things and will keep doing them regardless... And who cares if someone farms or doesn't farm? What does it matter to you personally? Why would it matter to you if someone else wanted to play the game and go kill 1000 champions or complete 200 meta events to earn an account bound permanent banker?

And this right here clearly tells me you didn't really think about the suggestion more "to the detriment of not only their own enjoyment but also the health of the game population as a whole.".

Just cause you say it is a fact does not make it a fact, where is your info, your research ?

This idea of yours is just "What you Want" this system wouldn't be better then the current, its more restricting. Better to add then to change. Personally am a veteran of GW2 played for 6+ years and played GW1 since launch of Factions and I wouldn't enjoy your system any more then I do the new maps having to grind out currency for each one.

It's not "restricting", it's adding in a new reward system for long run players who participate in the game...

"and I wouldn't enjoy your system any more then I do the new maps having to grind out currency for each one."... Well then you would love it because as you played naturally you'd earn a "universal" currency that can be traded in for currencies you do want!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Etria.3642 said:Love how the veteran status is defined by things done and not simply time played.

Not. I like rewards but I do not care for how this idea is proposed.

I agree ... we already get rewards for things we do.

If we get another level of rewards system, it doesn't make sense to base it on something that we already got rewarded from doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The more rewards that get handed out, the more likley of the economy inflating occurrs, unless new gold sinks are introduced to absorb all the new rewards.I just cant get the obsession with rewards in this game .Eventually people will want rewards for just standing in the game doing nothing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea. Also, why do people repeatedly cry elitism? After all, reaching all those goals requires a bit of work on one's part - so what? That is the whole point here. It is not that hard; I have achieved all that, others have too, hence the term "veterans."

Plus, you can get the suggested rewards without this, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My account turned 1 year old last week, and I met every one of your criteria minus the raiding, and I hardly consider myself to be a veteran.

Additionally, there already exists rewards for "Veterans", in the way of Birthday rewards, many of which I'm sure I'll never see (doubt I'll be playing this game 5 years from now), as well as rewards unlocked through the accumulation of Achievement Points.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also meet all requirements except the Raid wing and fractals 25-50 and I do not think it is a good dea. The rewards for your coins are too all-encompassing and too plentiful and will rather frustrate new players then entice them: before this Cornucopia opens up for them they first have to reach all sorts of goals, that they might not want to pursue otherwise, like Leggies, Raids, Fractals till 50 and such. The beauty of this game is that there are many types of goals and ways to play it, and people can take their pick. They should not feel pushed into doing ALL those things ASAP because such a reward system awaits them.

New player who is interested in the cool Ambrite weapons: "Dang, those Geodes are slow in coming and those Dry top Keys are expensive! Is there a quicker way to earn them?"
Veteran: "Yeah, start earning Veteran coins; only needs "insert huge list of achievements"!"

I think new players would hate it, and also players that simply do not want to be pushed into doing certain content. Which is the majority I would think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ashantara.8731 said:I like the idea. Also, why do people repeatedly cry elitism? After all, reaching all those goals requires a bit of work on one's part - so what? That is the whole point here. It is not that hard; I have achieved all that, others have too, hence the term "veterans."

You are right, elitism doesn't fit. A better fitting description would be over the top greed and laziness.

GW2 must be one of the most rewarding, least effort games if you stick with it in the entire MMO genre currently, mostly attributed to the non existent gear extension. Yet people still want more.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Plus, you can get the suggested rewards without this, too.

That's more of a reason NOT to offer them as freebee side rewards as to not devalue the content where these rewards are available originally. So people who actually do the content feel rewarded or can make use of the rewards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cyninja.2954 said:You are right, elitism doesn't fit. A better fitting description would be over the top greed and laziness.

I don't know. By now, I have everything I wanted gear-wise, but I still like the idea of additional veteran rewards. Laziness is definitely something you can't accuse me (and most veteran players) of.

GW2 must be one of the most rewarding, least effort games if you stick with it in the entire MMO genre currently, mostly attributed to the non existent gear extension. Yet people still want more.

Some veterans are often bored, hence additional rewards can be motivational. Of course, adding more content in the form of frequent new open world quests (like the Caladbolg one) that will have you journey across the world and experience new, exciting adventures apart from the monotonous LW storyline would be appreciated more, but the devs already seem to have their hands full as is. Raids and fractals aren't everyone's cup of tea, and they are repetitive quickly, as are LW episodes (especially if they feature story missions as boring as the last episode's ones). People hunger for adventure, and if there is none, they seek compensation in forms of grinding for specific items or skins. It is easier for devs to add rewards than to add new content.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Plus, you can get the suggested rewards without this, too.That's more of a reason NOT to offer them as freebee side rewards as to not devalue the content where these rewards are available originally.

Well, I don't really care what the rewards would be. I just like the OP's idea as a new concept, that's all. And I don't mind their suggestions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:But this system would not be the answer.

and how do you know that?

I'd be excluded from your vet system even though I've been playing for 4 years as the only criteria I meet is the core story and the meta events is so vague I don't know if you are talking world bosses or all the significant events that happen in a zone. Want to know how to make me feel like I should leave the game? Initiating the system you have decided upon. It would definitely make me feel that even though I have given money to the game, the devs do not want me as I'm not the player they are after. They want those that will grind away at the game, not casually log on and dink around doing random things for a few hours then logging off.

Why not expand on what they already reward in the system, the yearly birthday gifts? Year 4 you get a backpack, why not add some things into that for retention like weapon/armor skins, mount skins or the like? A vendor in each city that is like Dry Tops that each year you have played gets you access to items from that tier that you can buy. Add a growing instance that can be decorated like ESO's housing system or Rift's dimensions and visited by others. It starts out small but each year you get a wing added that you can expand on and show your accomplishments. Something other than this 'you aren't a vet because you don't raid/pvp/wvw/fractal/etc.' I've played enough games to know, that those that have introduced systems like that don't last long as the community gets so toxic to new players, the new players look elsewhere.

"I'd be excluded" isn't a valid argument. Eventually you can be included by playing and participating. Right?

Because I chose not to make a topic that expands on 1x per year, per character, b-day gifts. B-day gifts are not even closely related to this topic.

He already told you that he "participate" into the game. But according to your "requirement list" he will be not included.It seems that according to your criteria he is not participating enough to be included. We had so many topics regarding the effect of exclusion for the playerbase and yet, another one asking for exclusion appears.

No wonder the developers gave the game the direction it has now. If the players not only don't protest against exclusion but they ask for exclusion, then the devs. have all the reasons to think they are right.

But, if you think that imposing arbitrary criteria is OK, I will add some another for qualifying as veteran: the valid mail address of the gamer should be a Netscape one being more than 6 years old and at least 1,5 years older than the GW2 account. Also, to be a veteran, the owner should be able to prove he is older than 50 and also as a vet. he should be able to prove that he has at least 1 year of military service for his country. For female players - proving the age is allowed but not mandatory (at least in some EU country is not polite to ask the age of a lady) and also the military service is allowed but not mandatory.

For other posters, please feel free to give other suggestions to complete the exclusion requirement list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Hazteur.8165" said:I'm not really suggesting adding the skins but Im more suggesting only that be it. I would be concerned for the concept to be dead on arrival from Anet otherwise. As I said I think the meta info that Anet has could sway it one way or the other but I think its in their interest to have these things that are out there only obtainable by rng or the gold/gem/cash synergy, cash being the key one. If there is an alternative way to get the items other than the trio it will reduce the value significantly therefore the desire to buy gems and turn them into gold which is probably a decent percentage of the use of gems and cash, while though I concede the actual gem store only items are probably the majority of their cash infusion. That's my concern of include access to some of those other nice things. Where as vet skins might retain the player base which is also very important aspect of the industry. Its a good idea just need to make sure its healthy for all.

Reward options and diversity attracts more players so we have to keep that in mind.

Where are you getting this Reward Options attracts more players.. you have continuously been countered that it is not the rewards that attract or retain it is the quality of the content put before tplayers, which imo has been GW2's issue for some time. Replay value of the game won't imo be addressed by adding another layer of rewards.ANET, as you have already stated, have developed a reward system that incentivises players to keep coming back each day.. yes Daily login, which does not discriminate against any player based off some arbitrary notion they should be considered veteran and hold extra status.I still do not understand what you consider "veteran" status to be based off. If it is time, then as others have stated they might of been here since before day, like me but have never felt compelled to race to the achievement pinnacle, or complete every raid (or any raid), or be a pvp tourno winner (or even a participant), be top rank WvW player.. simply put players do what they want because they enjoy it not because it pushes them to some special snowflake veteran reward.What needs to be addressed is the quality of content and its replayable value.. rewards are a minor part in that imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Some veterans are often bored, hence additional rewards can be motivational. Of course, adding more content in the form of frequent new open world quests (like the Caladbolg one) that will have you journey across the world and experience new, exciting adventures apart from the monotonous LW storyline would be appreciated more, but the devs already seem to have their hands full as is. Raids and fractals aren't everyone's cup of tea, and they are repetitive quickly, as are LW episodes (especially if they feature story missions as boring as the last episode's ones). People hunger for adventure, and if there is none, they seek compensation in forms of grinding for specific items or skins. It is easier for devs to add rewards than to add new content.

In my experience, more rewards are only a temporary and often even detrimental strategy to combat boredom.

Let's assume rewards were increased, how do people legible for those rewards feel once they get used to them? Bored again but now with even less reason to engage in content. As such, in the mid- and long-run players will be left with even less to do.

The most efficient way to fight boredom is add more content and motivate players to engage in said content. Yes, rewards can function as a motivator to get people to play content, this is not achieved when increasing rewards for "veteran status". Rewards can not permanently replace content.

The login rewards and veteran rewards currently are designed to encourage players to get achievements and stay with the game. Increasing them will have no effect on content, especially when designed so that people can go:"Oh nice, I have that already so now I get more free stuff", which most of the suggestions are from TC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might want to read those yourself and not just use the title because they are not in support of your suggestions. Unless you simply read the title and skipped the details about proper integration into the game as reward and how most of the recommended rewards are already in place in GW2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Swagger.1459" said:

[...]The suggestion...

Milestones to start earning veteran rewards...

  • 10k AP
  • Core Map Completion
  • Core Personal Story Completion
  • Participated in all Core Map Meta Events
  • Crafted 1 legendary
  • Dungeon Master Achievement (Complete 8 explorable dungeons.)
  • Fractal Initiate (Complete each fractal scale from 1 to 25.) PLUS Fractal Adept (Complete each fractal scale from 26 to 50.)
  • Complete 1 Raid Wing
  • Rank 100 in WvW OR SPvP
  • https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Griffon_(mount)

I would change this to: Complete 8 of these to the choice of the player. This allows for a bit more flexibility and prevents players to be forced to complete that one or two requirements that is not compatible with their playing preference or skill level. Some players just hate PvP/WvW. Some players cannot complete any raid. Some players will never get the pricy resources to obtain a legendary, some players never can get any group for the dungeon paths.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...