Should the Skyscale map currency be reduced?

I do believe most players should have their skyscale by now, i mean for people with busy life i understand but spent like 2-3 hours of your free time farming everyday and eventually you'll get it, just do it and don't think too much. Keep thinking about it will only make thing progress slower

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ultramex.1506 said:I do believe most players should have their skyscale by now, i mean for people with busy life i understand but spent like 2-3 hours of your free time farming everyday and eventually you'll get it, just do it and don't think too much. Keep thinking about it will only make thing progress slower

This is the problem. People who work (the big spenders like me) do not have 2-3 hours a day to complete the mount. I am lucky to have 30 minutes to play during the week.

On a side note: If you want people to repeat content, make it engaging.

@Josiah.2967 said:

@Ultramex.1506 said:I do believe most players should have their skyscale by now, i mean for people with busy life i understand but spent like 2-3 hours of your free time farming everyday and eventually you'll get it, just do it and don't think too much. Keep thinking about it will only make thing progress slower

This is the problem. People who work (the big spenders like me) do not have 2-3 hours a day to complete the mount. I am lucky to have 30 minutes to play during the week.

On a side note: If you want people to repeat content, make it engaging.

Oh.....are you still planning to get it? Seem like Anet won't reduce the amount, only time-gate.

I just completed the skyscale collection... I'm very happy with my skyscale once upgrade, I find it likely I wont use any other mount except when I have to.

I'm still not happy with the collection. I think the maps should give the currency a little easier and I likely won't be back to most of them..

but its done now... for casual players, expect the mount to take a month, and just tip away at it, you'll get there.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel the need to say this again. I know it's been said multiple times before.

The currency requirements for skyscale are absolutely unfun. It has brought my play time to an absolute stop. I do not appreciate having to map complete on 5 toons.... for not even half of the required mistonium. Some maps are okay. The hearts that reward 25 currency per is doable, even though I hate it.

But man. This is not fun. I hate it. It has driven me to apex and another character... I feel even though I'm trying to get it done, I'm barely denting it. I will just buy 5 per day from the vendor in dragonsfall but it will probably be another month until I have the skyscale.

Screw this. I hate it. I had heard so much complaints about it but after being FORCED to go to all lws4 maps (as somebody who doesn't play those maps) and having the events and repeatable hearts shoved down my throat. Ugh.

No thanks. Please change it. Maybe 200 trade contracts and 100 of each currency.

You not playing those maps before was an active choice you made, just as you made the choice to get the Skyscale. It really isn't that bad. Do hearts, don't waste your time on map completion. Use multiple chars. Do the meta events and rift events. You're not forced to do anything, you make the choice yourself going for those things.

Also don't do hearts that annoy you. In Kourna for example I just skip the first one at the camp because it absolutely sucks and can't be completed within 1 minute as the others mostly can be.

@Blocki.4931 said:You not playing those maps before was an active choice you made, just as you made the choice to get the Skyscale. It really isn't that bad. Do hearts, don't waste your time on map completion. Use multiple chars. Do the meta events and rift events. You're not forced to do anything, you make the choice yourself going for those things.

Also don't do hearts that annoy you. In Kourna for example I just skip the first one at the camp because it absolutely sucks and can't be completed within 1 minute as the others mostly can be.

I work 12 hour shifts and have other things to do in my life. In the 2-4 hours I can manage to play every 3rd day or so I don't want to have to play 5 different characters on these godforsaken maps for a tiny bit of progress. Maybe 25 of all currency per heart wouldn't be so bad... sigh....

@"Calvsie.3675" said:I feel people came into Skyscale with the completely wrong mindset. Instead of "WOW a good long term goal to keep me engaged for a couple week to a month!" they were all "WANT IT NOW" and then proceeded to not be happy.

Except the problem was that they timegated each step. Thats what people were complaining about. They forced players to stop working on it until reset the next day. That is what made them unhappy.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@"Calvsie.3675" said:I feel people came into Skyscale with the completely wrong mindset. Instead of "WOW a good long term goal to keep me engaged for a couple week to a month!" they were all "WANT IT NOW" and then proceeded to not be happy.

Except the problem was that they timegated each step. Thats what people were complaining about. They
forced
players to stop working on it until reset the next day. That is what made them unhappy.

So my comment stands. Why is everyone in such a rush?

@"Calvsie.3675" said:I feel people came into Skyscale with the completely wrong mindset. Instead of "WOW a good long term goal to keep me engaged for a couple week to a month!" they were all "WANT IT NOW" and then proceeded to not be happy.Perhaps because it wasn't a good long-term goal for this kind of engagement. Or a good type of engagement for this long-term goal. Or both.

@Calvsie.3675 said:

@Calvsie.3675 said:I feel people came into Skyscale with the completely wrong mindset. Instead of "WOW a good long term goal to keep me engaged for a couple week to a month!" they were all "WANT IT NOW" and then proceeded to not be happy.

Except the problem was that they timegated each step. Thats what people were complaining about. They
forced
players to stop working on it until reset the next day. That is what made them unhappy.

So my comment stands. Why is everyone in such a rush?

Because if they want to get it done in a day...why not? If they have the capability then let them go for it. Timegating doesn't create a challenge or make finishing something more satisfying or worthwhile, it just feels like some daily chore you have to deal with because you're being forced to not continue something despite being completely able to.

This game is not a game where one seeks challenge as this game presents very little challenge to those you might deem more "hardcore" gamers. GW2 is very casual, and that would normally be fine if Anet didn't design things almost entirely around the casual audience. They need to have a mixture. Thats why people go elsewhere for challenging PvE.

Went a little off-topic there but...

I understand them wanting to make Skyscale accessible, as it should be, but the way in which they did it just made the illusion of "challenge" with the time gating just grating and annoying. I imagine its less of a problem for people who are like "Well thats fine, I can pick this up when I get back from work tomorrow." Casual mindset. As opposed to "If I focus on this I could easily get all of this done tonight" Hardcore mindset. Time gating isn't a challenge, its just waiting in line at the DMV only to have it close before you can get to the desk.

You work 12 hour shifts, thats fine, i also just finised with my exams and will be joining the navy. I want to complete skyscale but it can w8, its not going anywere and i have all the time in the world to work for it.

Its also iirc not required anywhere so im not locked out of any content.

@LaFurion.3167 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:You not playing those maps before was an active choice you made, just as you made the choice to get the Skyscale. It really isn't that bad. Do hearts, don't waste your time on map completion. Use multiple chars. Do the meta events and rift events. You're not forced to do anything, you make the choice yourself going for those things.

I work 12 hour shifts and have other things to do in my life. In the 2-4 hours I can manage to play every 3rd day or so I don't want to have to play 5 different characters on these godforsaken maps for a tiny bit of progress. Maybe 25 of all currency per heart wouldn't be so bad... sigh....

Then this game probably isn't for you if you're looking for a quick progression because you work too much. Time is a finite resource, and besides you're using it much more wisely anyway as IRL is more important for most people than a game but don't let that be confused with the right to be handed something in a game that requires time as well over somebody else who has that time to spend.

This is the problem most people are faced with in terms of mmo's when they have a job, families, etc and time becomes more of a juggling act and a real thing than a mere concept you take for granted because some people can just play all day without responsibilities. It is the reality.

You'll get it , in time... While it will probably be longer than others you'll still eventually get it.

You arnt being forced to grind .If you dont like the game then move to something else.Grinding is all about making things take a long time , thats the whole idea of it , keeps people playing the game longer.If everyone could get everything they wanted in 1 day , the game would very quickly run out of players as they would all be bored with nothing left to do.

@mdee.5194 said:You arnt being forced to grind .If you dont like the game then move to something else.Grinding is all about making things take a long time , thats the whole idea of it , keeps people playing the game longer.If everyone could get everything they wanted in 1 day , the game would very quickly run out of players as they would all be bored with nothing left to do.

Except grind done well actually provides adequate return for the time you invest into it. GW2...does not have that.

I could go play BDO for a week, 5 hours a day grinding the same mob rotation for that 5 hours and come out of it with enough silver to actually upgrade pieces of my gear along with having gained quite a good chunk of experience towards my characters next level.

GW2 grind is just...it doesn't feel rewarding. It doesn't feel like you're actually earning anything. Especially when the ways you typically earn money in PvE are tied to meta events and such that only occur at certain times or after other events have completed.

Its a stark contrast to GW1 where you could spend 5 hours a day for a week grinding for ectos in UW and you'd actually come out the other end with your time well invested even if you only got a few ecto drops because they are expensive and also used as its own form of currency in the game. On top of the skill points you earned for those UW runs.

@zealex.9410 said:You work 12 hour shifts, thats fine, i also just finised with my exams and will be joining the navy. I want to complete skyscale but it can w8, its not going anywere and i have all the time in the world to work for it.

Its also iirc not required anywhere so im not locked out of any content.

Grats and thank you to a future vet!!! Enjoy your time there...

I know it looks daunting, You don't have to map complete, you just have to do like the first mission or two on each to gain access or even just tp to friend as long as you own all of LW4. You obviously have to complete the last chapter though. It's a grind, but it's doable. I don't do metas and such and am fairly new to GW2 and it took me about 2 weeks to complete. There were parts that I was very glad when they were done, but I also enjoyed parts of it since I hadn't actually seen some of the arease I had to go to before. In return I got a mount with unique characteristics which is more than I could say for any mount I ever ground for in WoW. Many kittens were uttered while getting it, but once I had it, totally worth it.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

forced

Maybe they could have used that time to farm the necessary currency, and then they'd have most of it when it was time to continue? Just a thought.

@Ygdrasill.9135 said:I know it looks daunting, You don't have to map complete, you just have to do like the first mission or two on each to gain access or even just tp to friend as long as you own all of LW4. You obviously have to complete the last chapter though. It's a grind, but it's doable. I don't do metas and such and am fairly new to GW2 and it took me about 2 weeks to complete. There were parts that I was very glad when they were done, but I also enjoyed parts of it since I hadn't actually seen some of the arease I had to go to before. In return I got a mount with unique characteristics which is more than I could say for any mount I ever ground for in WoW. Many kittens were uttered while getting it, but once I had it, totally worth it.

@Ygdrasill.9135 said:I know it looks daunting, You don't have to map complete, you just have to do like the first mission or two on each to gain access or even just tp to friend as long as you own all of LW4. You obviously have to complete the last chapter though. It's a grind, but it's doable. I don't do metas and such and am fairly new to GW2 and it took me about 2 weeks to complete. There were parts that I was very glad when they were done, but I also enjoyed parts of it since I hadn't actually seen some of the arease I had to go to before. In return I got a mount with unique characteristics which is more than I could say for any mount I ever ground for in WoW. Many kittens were uttered while getting it, but once I had it, totally worth it.

Since you're new, I'll give you some advice. Play the new zones when they come out. Obviously if you're new you couldn't do it before, but you can do that from now on. Do you know how much of a grind it was for me to get my skyscale, at least the currency part? Zero. Because I had enough currency from each zone, because I play those zones. People play the story, leave the zone and don't look back. But you have 3 months at least before the next chapter comes out, and those zones can be completed, have chests to farm, often have meta events, have achievements to hunt...between farming my home instance daily and playing the zones, I had more than enough currency from each zone before the collection ever came out. Not playing the zones is a choice people make. They'd rather being doing whatever else there is when doing it. But I assure you many people in this game only needed a bit currency to catch up or, as in my case, there was no need to grind at all.