Vault of the Khan-Ur/Grothmar Meta reward structure is horrid and needs severe improvement.

meri.9187

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I’ve seen how the metas scale with a low population of players and they’re quite doable. Granted, months from now, your best chance at doing them will be during the first couple meta cycles after reset but that’s the case with a lot of metas.

I tried to do Effigy twice yesterday evening (PT zone). It failed both times. We did not have enough DPS to kill Effigy within the time limit.

It fails because people don't work together during the torch phase and waste time. It also fails if people abandon the Effigy to kill the champs.

If some event requires high levels of coordination and/or very good knowledge of mechanics and optimal strategy, but provides very low rewards it is doomed to be abandoned in this game.You can blame people for not doing the right thing. But people do wrong and selfish things all the time. I believe that it's developers' job to design an activity/event in such a way that even inexperienced/non-organised players are capable of completing it. These are open-world events, not raids.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:They really overdid the fluff content here: 54(!) achievments for an emote. It's ridiculous. Ooze Pit and CoF which were dungeons in gw1 are now visually cluttered public events and you get usually 1 rare if you do the whole two hours... er WAT!?!?

I would be fine with 100 achievements if they were less repetitive. Right now it feels like ArenaNet is trying to retain map population by forcing them to do the same thing over and over again for APs.

I've gotten a chili node from the vault of Khan-Ur so it isn't always just the value of the Recovered Charr Artifact. Not testing my luck further (chili nodes also drop from metas) so now I just sell my meta keys on TP.

It would be nice if the Khan Ur headgear drop rate was increased though. You can't get that from the PVP/WVW reward track and the price is astronomical right now on the TP. Map completion yields one Recovered Charr artifact so unless you have massive amounts of characters you are only going to have a handful of tries.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I’ve seen how the metas scale with a low population of players and they’re quite doable. Granted, months from now, your best chance at doing them will be during the first couple meta cycles after reset but that’s the case with a lot of metas.

I tried to do Effigy twice yesterday evening (PT zone). It failed both times. We did not have enough DPS to kill Effigy within the time limit.

It fails because people don't work together during the torch phase and waste time. It also fails if people abandon the Effigy to kill the champs.

If some event requires high levels of coordination and/or very good knowledge of mechanics and optimal strategy, but provides very low rewards it is doomed to be abandoned in this game.

It doesn’t require any of that. It’s just people who think they can run the torch the entire, fail, and then try over and over thinking the next time will be different.

You can blame people for not doing the right thing. But people do wrong and selfish things all the time. I believe that it's developers' job to design an activity/event in such a way that even inexperienced/non-organised players are capable of completing it. These are open-world events, not raids.

It is designed in a way that inexperienced players are capable of doing it. One of the issues is that people tend to not pay attention and/or figure things out.

I'm going to have to agree that the reward for getting into the vault is ... unrewarding.

There is a chance of a good reward, but it's a very small chance. You could do this every day for a year and not get the "real" reward. Without a way to make sure that you DO get it eventually, getting that one rare feels less like "Congratulations!", and more like "Sucker!"

Of course, leaving with the boobyprize feels extra bad when you realize you got it from a room full of literal PILES OF GOLD, none of which you can take. It's like sneaking into Fort Knox, and deciding to leave with just their toilet paper supply. An impressive trick, but ...

I still ask myself why I even bother playing the game.The only reason I haven't left is cuz I'm over 14k hours in with 39k AP. Too much time and money went into it that now it's too late to leave.You summed it all up pretty nicely and Anet doesn't even play their game in their off time to understand anything people say. It's absurd that you need 2h to finish meta and open the vault, unless you just decide to buy keys (but that just encourages irl money spending, as you're not playing the game to earn gold but convert gems to play - but maybe that's what Anet wants)They have no regard for people who work, most have families, so if you worked and had 3-4 hours after work, you'd spend most of it with your family, which leaves little to no time for actual game. And there's a lot that one might want to do, but here they are doing single meta that takes 2 hours to do... for reward that's pretty much nothing considering the time that went into it. Another problem is that it has 20-30mins between each event, so if you're like me and you have everything done, you can do daily in between 2 of them but then that leaves you with break between other metas which they're so short that you don't have time to start anything else to kill time. So you're either just going to give up and go play something else in the game, something else entirely or just AFK-ing most of the 2h.I even told my bf, I feel like GW2 became an "idle/clicker" game for people who have done everything - you come in, you afk 15-30min, click and press buttons for 5min, then afk for another 15-30min.I wonder if next major patch will bring "moves a day thing" as well, so once we spend our 100 clicks, we either wait 1h or pay 400 gems. (I feel like I just gave them an awesome idea)

@"Palador.2170" said:I'm going to have to agree that the reward for getting into the vault is ... unrewarding.

There is a chance of a good reward, but it's a very small chance. You could do this every day for a year and not get the "real" reward. Without a way to make sure that you DO get it eventually, getting that one rare feels less like "Congratulations!", and more like "Sucker!"

Of course, leaving with the boobyprize feels extra bad when you realize you got it from a room full of literal PILES OF GOLD, none of which you can take. It's like sneaking into Fort Knox, and deciding to leave with just their toilet paper supply. An impressive trick, but ...

I really feel like they should change the 'common' reward to a raspberry . . .

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:I still ask myself why I even bother playing the game.The only reason I haven't left is cuz I'm over 14k hours in with 39k AP. Too much time and money went into it that now it's too late to leave.You summed it all up pretty nicely and Anet doesn't even play their game in their off time to understand anything people say. It's absurd that you need 2h to finish meta and open the vault, unless you just decide to buy keys (but that just encourages irl money spending, as you're not playing the game to earn gold but convert gems to play - but maybe that's what Anet wants)They have no regard for people who work, most have families, so if you worked and had 3-4 hours after work, you'd spend most of it with your family, which leaves little to no time for actual game. And there's a lot that one might want to do, but here they are doing single meta that takes 2 hours to do... for reward that's pretty much nothing considering the time that went into it. Another problem is that it has 20-30mins between each event, so if you're like me and you have everything done, you can do daily in between 2 of them but then that leaves you with break between other metas which they're so short that you don't have time to start anything else to kill time. So you're either just going to give up and go play something else in the game, something else entirely or just AFK-ing most of the 2h.I even told my bf, I feel like GW2 became an "idle/clicker" game for people who have done everything - you come in, you afk 15-30min, click and press buttons for 5min, then afk for another 15-30min.I wonder if next major patch will bring "moves a day thing" as well, so once we spend our 100 clicks, we either wait 1h or pay 400 gems. (I feel like I just gave them an awesome idea)

Dailies, strike mission, jp are the things I do between metas. Been working out nicely for me so far . . .

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:I still ask myself why I even bother playing the game.The only reason I haven't left is cuz I'm over 14k hours in with 39k AP. Too much time and money went into it that now it's too late to leave.You summed it all up pretty nicely and Anet doesn't even play their game in their off time to understand anything people say. It's absurd that you need 2h to finish meta and open the vault, unless you just decide to buy keys (but that just encourages irl money spending, as you're not playing the game to earn gold but convert gems to play - but maybe that's what Anet wants)They have no regard for people who work, most have families, so if you worked and had 3-4 hours after work, you'd spend most of it with your family, which leaves little to no time for actual game. And there's a lot that one might want to do, but here they are doing single meta that takes 2 hours to do... for reward that's pretty much nothing considering the time that went into it. Another problem is that it has 20-30mins between each event, so if you're like me and you have everything done, you can do daily in between 2 of them but then that leaves you with break between other metas which they're so short that you don't have time to start anything else to kill time. So you're either just going to give up and go play something else in the game, something else entirely or just AFK-ing most of the 2h.I even told my bf, I feel like GW2 became an "idle/clicker" game for people who have done everything - you come in, you afk 15-30min, click and press buttons for 5min, then afk for another 15-30min.I wonder if next major patch will bring "moves a day thing" as well, so once we spend our 100 clicks, we either wait 1h or pay 400 gems. (I feel like I just gave them an awesome idea)

You make it as if players can’t earn gold from playing the game and use that to purchase the keys. It doesn’t encourage people to buy gems more than anything else in the game. It’s no different than people spending two hours doing world bosses. The metas are spread out enough that you can do other things in between them. You have high playtime hours and high AP so clearly the two hours isn’t the real issue for you. If it is, just spend ~30 min and farm the gold for the keys. I’m sure that earning 4.6G in less than two hours is manageable.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:My main concern is that after a very short time, metas like effigy will be impossible to complete unless there is a dedicated squad doing metas. Unfortunately, the reward structure makes it highly unlikely that such squads will be formed.

I hope ArenaNet will address downscaling of all events, so they are doable with a small number of people. Or they make meta more rewarding, so the map is included in LW meta trains.

Like they addressed the events in HoT that you have to do to complete masteries and legendaries? Still can't get several because no one ever does them...the same will happen here. They used the same formula that they can't seem to see is broken.

@MokahTGS.7850 said:

@Ol Nik.2518 said:My main concern is that after a very short time, metas like effigy will be impossible to complete unless there is a dedicated squad doing metas. Unfortunately, the reward structure makes it highly unlikely that such squads will be formed.

I hope ArenaNet will address downscaling of all events, so they are doable with a small number of people. Or they make meta more rewarding, so the map is included in LW meta trains.

Like they addressed the events in HoT that you have to do to complete masteries and legendaries? Still can't get several because no one ever does them...the same will happen here. They used the same formula that they can't seem to see is broken.

can you give an example of an event that doesn't get done? Cause every time i enter the jungle their are still people doing them.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

You make it as if players can’t earn gold from playing the game and use that to purchase the keys. It doesn’t encourage people to buy gems more than anything else in the game. It’s no different than people spending two hours doing world bosses. The metas are spread out enough that you can do other things in between them. You have high playtime hours and high AP so clearly the two hours isn’t the real issue for you. If it is, just spend ~30 min and farm the gold for the keys. I’m sure that earning 4.6G in less than two hours is manageable.

Then what is the point in Anet making updates if I go elsewhere to earn money in order to do them? I thought new updates are there to be played, how dare I tell Anet to make it less annoying to play a game I paid for and poured 7 years of my life in. Interesting how they finally added some content and people are supposed to go do something else to earn money in order to do current content faster instead of Anet just coming to their senses and realizing that people have work, families and other games to play.But I think, above all, that I should try and get myself off of forums eventually because everybody here just defends them with their lives as if Anet is just divine. (which never works cuz it's a weird feeling of "Let's go see how people are defending them today" and once I do I regret it cuz I'm left angered and in disbelief)Seems to me like everybody here barely plays when all of you think Anet is perfect, that game is doing well and perfect. No wonder Anet never changes for the better when all they do is read forums (which actually, I doubt they do, other than forum people but they're not devs, we need actual devs to read) and see praise. People should be loud and tell Anet to do something about the dying game. I am mostly blunt here on forums but the thing is, I tell it how it is because I wouldn't be spending 14k+ hours in this game if it wasn't dear to me. I met my soon to be husband in it, and a lot of other things happened cuz of GW2. But sure, all of you should just sit and be completely blind to what's going on, people like you and others here on forum just praising them for anything and everything and not telling them the hard truth is why they're going to fail. Things people are asking for like build templates are coming like .... 7 years TOO late. Few times when we were loud, someone from them comes here or Twitter and goes like "oh no we're being attacked"... and people suddenly turn into gold fish and don't remember what happened and are like "oh you go Anet!"... Things like hairs, I'm 100% sure they'd earn so much more giving us hairs especially after 4+ years of not having them, plus they got a bunch just sitting there somewhere not being used when they can easily just release them. But nope, they'd rather make and pump out some ugly chairs .... but actually maybe that's the whole thing, it might be them knowing it's mostly an afk game now, so they give us chairs to sit on while we do so.

The rewards template isn't okay. I mean, where are we going hun? A SHOULDERPADS BOX FOR ~300g on Tp? Same with the head gear? Seriously ANET, increase the drop rate.... if you think putting something that rare and expensive will push me to spend rl money, you have put your finger in your eyes or should I say, your whole arm in your eyes! It's that horrible poorness and unrewarding feelings that push me more and more away from the game. How I am supposed to buy your all brand new gemstore stuffs if I'm not even able to earn enough gold for 100 gems!!! I don't have time, can now play only 3 hours a day (but I don't want to do during those hours the same content again and again.... :disappointed_relieved: ) It isn't that hard to apply HoT reward scheme in LS..... seriously, unid gears, you took me for what? Not even ascended gears/weapons, or simple crystallized gemstones, unique exo from exotic hunter box.... I want to drop during each meta chain at least 1 1gold+ item. Not things we find everywhere. It's the KHAN UR VAULT, full of GOLD and we just have, an unid gear! There is definitely something wrong there! Even Npcs are better paid!Want the new armor/item in less than 1 month, not in 99 years! :anguished:

CONSIDER ADDING EBON SHOULDERS AND KHAN UR FACE BOXES TO THE CHILI MERCHANT, IN THIS CASE I CAN AT LEAST WORK TOWARD THEM! thx.Apart that, I have nothing to say about the merchant itself. I'm happy for the decos, the T-shirt and banner backpacks. :+1

@Trise.2865 said:Did you have fun playing?

No: Then no reward is worthwhile.Yes: Then no reward is necessary.

I had fun doing each meta event for the first time, but now that's done, why should I do it over again? Oh yeah, I'm not.

Your comment makes perfect sense if we were playing Mario Kart, but it is counter to the virtual skinner-box that is an MMO, and since we are playing an MMO....

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:I still ask myself why I even bother playing the game.The only reason I haven't left is cuz I'm over 14k hours in with 39k AP. Too much time and money went into it that now it's too late to leave.You summed it all up pretty nicely and Anet doesn't even play their game in their off time to understand anything people say. It's absurd that you need 2h to finish meta and open the vault, unless you just decide to buy keys (but that just encourages irl money spending, as you're not playing the game to earn gold but convert gems to play - but maybe that's what Anet wants)They have no regard for people who work, most have families, so if you worked and had 3-4 hours after work, you'd spend most of it with your family, which leaves little to no time for actual game. And there's a lot that one might want to do, but here they are doing single meta that takes 2 hours to do... for reward that's pretty much nothing considering the time that went into it. Another problem is that it has 20-30mins between each event, so if you're like me and you have everything done, you can do daily in between 2 of them but then that leaves you with break between other metas which they're so short that you don't have time to start anything else to kill time. So you're either just going to give up and go play something else in the game, something else entirely or just AFK-ing most of the 2h.I even told my bf, I feel like GW2 became an "idle/clicker" game for people who have done everything - you come in, you afk 15-30min, click and press buttons for 5min, then afk for another 15-30min.I wonder if next major patch will bring "moves a day thing" as well, so once we spend our 100 clicks, we either wait 1h or pay 400 gems. (I feel like I just gave them an awesome idea)

Then what is the point in Anet making updates if I go elsewhere to earn money in order to do them? I thought new updates are there to be played, how dare I tell Anet to make it less annoying to play a game I paid for and poured 7 years of my life in. Interesting how they finally added some content and people are supposed to go do something else to earn money in order to do current content faster instead of Anet just coming to their senses and realizing that people have work, families and other games to play.

Then do the metas. The option to farm gold to purchase the keys is available to those who don’t want to do them which you appeared to fall under based on your post. The metas take no more time to do than your typical meta (5-10 min).

But I think, above all, that I should try and get myself off of forums eventually because everybody here just defends them with their lives as if Anet is just divine. (which never works cuz it's a weird feeling of "Let's go see how people are defending them today" and once I do I regret it cuz I'm left angered and in disbelief)

There’s a difference between defending Anet and defending something particular in the game. They can be mutually exclusive.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:I still ask myself why I even bother playing the game.The only reason I haven't left is cuz I'm over 14k hours in with 39k AP. Too much time and money went into it that now it's too late to leave.You summed it all up pretty nicely and Anet doesn't even play their game in their off time to understand anything people say. It's absurd that you need 2h to finish meta and open the vault, unless you just decide to buy keys (but that just encourages irl money spending, as you're not playing the game to earn gold but convert gems to play - but maybe that's what Anet wants)They have no regard for people who work, most have families, so if you worked and had 3-4 hours after work, you'd spend most of it with your family, which leaves little to no time for actual game. And there's a lot that one might want to do, but here they are doing single meta that takes 2 hours to do... for reward that's pretty much nothing considering the time that went into it. Another problem is that it has 20-30mins between each event, so if you're like me and you have everything done, you can do daily in between 2 of them but then that leaves you with break between other metas which they're so short that you don't have time to start anything else to kill time. So you're either just going to give up and go play something else in the game, something else entirely or just AFK-ing most of the 2h.I even told my bf, I feel like GW2 became an "idle/clicker" game for people who have done everything - you come in, you afk 15-30min, click and press buttons for 5min, then afk for another 15-30min.I wonder if next major patch will bring "moves a day thing" as well, so once we spend our 100 clicks, we either wait 1h or pay 400 gems. (I feel like I just gave them an awesome idea)

Then what is the point in Anet making updates if I go elsewhere to earn money in order to do them? I thought new updates are there to be played, how dare I tell Anet to make it less annoying to play a game I paid for and poured 7 years of my life in. Interesting how they finally added some content and people are supposed to go do something else to earn money in order to do current content faster instead of Anet just coming to their senses and realizing that people have work, families and other games to play.But I think, above all, that I should try and get myself off of forums eventually because everybody here just defends them with their lives as if Anet is just divine. (which never works cuz it's a weird feeling of "Let's go see how people are defending them today" and once I do I regret it cuz I'm left angered and in disbelief)Seems to me like everybody here barely plays when all of you think Anet is perfect, that game is doing well and perfect. No wonder Anet never changes for the better when all they do is read forums (which actually, I doubt they do, other than forum people but they're not devs, we need actual devs to read) and see praise. People should be loud and tell Anet to do something about the dying game. I am mostly blunt here on forums but the thing is, I tell it how it is because I wouldn't be spending 14k+ hours in this game if it wasn't dear to me. I met my soon to be husband in it, and a lot of other things happened cuz of GW2. But sure, all of you should just sit and be completely blind to what's going on, people like you and others here on forum just praising them for anything and everything and not telling them the hard truth is why they're going to fail. Things people are asking for like build templates are coming like .... 7 years TOO late. Few times when we were loud, someone from them comes here or Twitter and goes like "oh no we're being attacked"... and people suddenly turn into gold fish and don't remember what happened and are like "oh you go Anet!"... Things like hairs, I'm 100% sure they'd earn so much more giving us hairs especially after 4+ years of not having them, plus they got a bunch just sitting there somewhere not being used when they can easily just release them. But nope, they'd rather make and pump out some ugly chairs .... but actually maybe that's the whole thing, it might be them knowing it's mostly an afk game now, so they give us chairs to sit on while we do so.

They are meant to be played and have been. It doesn't take 2h to get the 4 keys. Like players still camp matriach for a 1g AG while you can do flame for more and ash for 3.5 g in the same time. You know the events and times. You know the areas you can make money in. They can't make every area 25g an hour and if they did prices of everything would increase to compensate. Your other complaints are valid but Anet wouldn't design chairs if fools didn't buy a chair for their pixels to afk in.

There's a difference between afking for 2h almost and afking for 5min before Matriarch ...Plus even if you did VB TD and AB metas, you're literally afking most of it. 5m afk before Matri, then 15-20m before Gerent and then afking 10min after Gerent kill because it dies so fast now, and then 15m before Tarir ...

And im saying ... that design is bad. It would be much better if they're all like SW Vine, you can get them any time if pre events are done.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Then what is the point in Anet making updates if I go elsewhere to earn money in order to do them? I thought new updates are there to be played, how dare I tell Anet to make it less annoying to play a game I paid for and poured 7 years of my life in. Interesting how they finally added some content and people are supposed to go do something else to earn money in order to do current content faster instead of Anet just coming to their senses and realizing that people have work, families and other games to play.

Then do the metas. The option to farm gold to purchase the keys is available to those who don’t want to do them which you appeared to fall under based on your post. The metas take no more time to do than your typical meta (5-10 min).

But I think, above all, that I should try and get myself off of forums eventually because everybody here just defends them with their lives as if Anet is just divine. (which never works cuz it's a weird feeling of "Let's go see how people are defending them today" and once I do I regret it cuz I'm left angered and in disbelief)

There’s a difference between defending Anet and defending something particular in the game. They can be mutually exclusive.

I am doing events, but I can still dislike the whole design of it. Cuz I'm not going to waste gold and then have to do some mindless farming more than I do already.

And I'll just give an example, latest thing we were angry about is the whole theater thing. People were mad, Rubi came and said something about people attacking them, the anger immediately died down.... now.... fast foward, patch day ... if you read little blue text for Merchandise Collector achievement, it literally says something about going to Bangar's Rally and all we got is merch....hmmmm..... does is not ring a bell ?People were mostly angry about the whole merch ad at their thing.... and their theater thing could be like "a rally"... so what I'm saying is, here are people being mad at Anet for false hype and 30min for merch sales, and they're having a laugh about it to the point of literally making a mock achievement ....They DON'T care. But people still defend them...

I agree with the OPAnd I would say, the Recovered charr "artefact" need a rework of his loot table, maybe add an "uncommon" rarity line with possibly mystic coins, T6 mat, amalgamated gemstones, idk ...Right now it's probably ;99,8999% one yellow0,1% one of the 5 weapons0,00009 Visage of the Khan-Ur0,00001% InfusionHorrible reward design for a daily box who needs 4 meta events

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Trise.2865 said:Did you have fun playing?

No: Then no reward is worthwhile.Yes: Then no reward is necessary.

I had fun doing each meta event for the first time, but now that's done, why should I do it over again? Oh yeah, I'm not.

Your comment makes perfect sense if we were playing Mario Kart, but it is counter to the virtual skinner-box that is an MMO, and since we are playing an MMO....

Think about that.

@"Payne.1250" said:I agree with the OPAnd I would say, the Recovered charr "artefact" need a rework of his loot table, maybe add an "uncommon" rarity line with possibly mystic coins, T6 mat, amalgamated gemstones, idk ...Right now it's probably ;99,8999% one yellow0,1% one of the 5 weapons0,00009 Visage of the Khan-Ur0,00001% InfusionHorrible reward design for a daily box who needs 4 meta events

Good reward design for me -- I just sell the keys, and let other people play Fashion Wars lottery.