Is it necro mains that are complaining about core ranger?

Crab Fear.1624

I play both Necro and Ranger. I mainly play necro but don't see an issue on either side. Perhaps more of the damage from certain pets should be xferred to the ranger. Typically, it's best that such a large chunk of damage comes from an "active" source versus AI based minions/pets. However, once you learn the things to look out for, you could make the opposite argument that such a large chunk of damage from the ranger comes from AI that can be exploited/avoided.

In short, it's not a huge problem and large damage from AI can be a catch-22. Minor tweaking is all that is needed.

My only real grievance is that pet damage is too high. Which in and of itself isn't a problem, the solution was always to just kill the pet. But as it is now, actually going LoS from the Ranger and killing the pet before you engage costs way too much health and cooldowns. Because you're going to get Barrage'd through LoS and take at least a good 3-4 hits for 2-4k each minimum from the pet before you can burn through the pet healthbar.

Necros are completely melted by immob, condi spam, and other cc. The recent condi builds I've been testing eat through shroud and erase necros. Nothing to do with pets. People don't know what they're complaining about. Watch. When they nerf cat and bird coefficients, they will start complaining about condi rangers. Lmao.

The problem is marksmanship modifiers. They are, were, and will continue to be the problematic source for all high Ranger damage strikes.

The 2nd problem is that Arenanet keeps balancing Ranger/Pet coefficients around marks mods, instead of nerfing the marks mods.

Now every Ranger build between core/druid/soul must take marks mods to maintain damage output at all.

The solution to quick fixing all of the current problems, as well as ones down the road, is this:

1. Leave Core Pet coefficients alone. Druid and some other builds don't use marks mods. Druid even has -20% pet attributes as a drawback. Druid and some of these other build structures does not need lower pet damage than they have.
  2. Nerf marks mods. MOC goes from 50% to 25% - AOO goes from 50% to 25% - Remorse can stay 25%. This would significantly douse pet kill burst damage, but allow pets to maintain gradual damage output, which they need.
  3. Return the base coefficients of Maul/WI back to what they were before this recent nerf. Leave the nerfs to Soulbeast merge stat bonus the way they are now. This will allow Core Ranger and Soulbeast to maintain the damage output that they have now, once Marks mods are nerfed, all the while lowering pet kill burst damage.

But yeah, Core Ranger hard counters a lot of things in 1v1 right now. It's definitely the dominant side node presence imo.

It is however trash can garbage useless in any match when at least 2 of its opponents have a plat+ badge and are wise enough to just kill its pet. Really though, if opponents just kill the pet right fast, you can actually afford to completely ignore the Core Ranger and not bother with it at all. Its damage is not present enough to matter once the pet dies. In other words, you can instantly turn a match into a 5v4 advantage simply by doing a quick 2s 2v1 focus on the Core Ranger's Pet to kill it.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:I mean it seems that a good core ranger can erase a necro, maybe that's just my perspective.

Between you and @"cptaylor.2670" ...who does create more nerf threads and attempts to stir drama?....half the nerf/drama threads on this forum are from you....there are people who I see more on the forum than actually in game

But to answer your question......thief mains are the ones asking the more nerfs in general : @Vallun.2071 - @"bluri.2653" and other "pro" streamers

@"shadowpass.4236" said:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/591371955?t=03h28m49s

It took like 3 skills and some autos for core necro to kill each pet and it died in about 10 seconds both times. Tigers die just as fast as birds.

Very little effort required and all of a sudden the core ranger is hyper useless.

So who is apt to have a hard time with core ranger?

@"shadowpass.4236" said:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/591371955?t=03h28m49s

It took like 3 skills and some autos for core necro to kill each pet and it died in about 10 seconds both times. Tigers die just as fast as birds.

Very little effort required and all of a sudden the core ranger is hyper useless.

"This matchup is impossible when he runs smokescale because you can't kill it, and I'm getting gaped."

I'd be interested to see how it would play out with a good ranger and a good pet selection xd

@Chaith.8256 said:

@"shadowpass.4236" said:

"This matchup is impossible when he runs smokescale because you can't kill it, and I'm getting gaped."

I'd be interested to see how it would play out with a good ranger and a good pet selection xd

Am good ranger. I run double birds. It can be close, and it's a long fight vs necro. You gotta micro manage the pets like a madman and run away from the lich when they use it to kill your pets. But fuck up just a little. Pet dies. Then you lose.

Part of the problem is pets are even squishier now since the only thing keeping them alive is the healing skill which all had their CDs increased. Pets should really get a buff.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@"shadowpass.4236" said:

Smokescale should never be the first pet you kill. Between the Smoke Assault, Smoke Cloud, and blasted stealth from marksmanship, the window to kill that pet is very small. However, let's say that the ranger is running Smokescale + Gazelle. After the ranger swaps to Gazelle, avoid Charge and Head Toss and you'll have about 12 seconds to kill it. After Gazelle dies, the next pet swap gives you 48 seconds to kill the Smokescale which is more than sufficient.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Smokescale should never be the first pet you kill. Between the smoke assault, smoke cloud, and blasted stealth from marksmanship, the window to kill that pet is very small. However, let's say that the ranger is running Smokescale + Gazelle. After the ranger swaps to Gazelle, avoid charge and head toss and you'll have about 12 seconds to kill it. After Gazelle dies, the next pet swap gives you 48 seconds to kill the Smokescale which is more than sufficient.

Who is even bothering trying to kill Smokescale and Gazelle? Ranger is worthless without dps pets.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

Smokescale should never be the first pet you kill. Between the smoke assault, smoke cloud, and blasted stealth from marksmanship, the window to kill that pet is very small. However, let's say that the ranger is running Smokescale + Gazelle. After the ranger swaps to Gazelle, avoid charge and head toss and you'll have about 12 seconds to kill it. After Gazelle dies, the next pet swap gives you 48 seconds to kill the Smokescale which is more than sufficient.

Who is even bothering trying to kill Smokescale and Gazelle? Ranger is worthless without dps pets.

Yeah there's no real point in killing SS + Gazelle. The only skills that could realistically kill someone on that build is Maul and Gazelle's Charge but one is a giant bear every 5 seconds and the other has a 2 second stationary cast time once every 15 seconds (once every pet swap) that a single blind, cc, aegis, etc. etc. would negate.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:I mean it seems that a good core ranger can erase a necro, maybe that's just my perspective.

Between you and @"cptaylor.2670" ...who does create more nerf threads and attempts to stir drama?....half the nerf/drama threads on this forum are from you....there are people who I see more on the forum than actually in game

But to answer your question......
thief mains are the ones asking the more nerfs in general : @Vallun.2071 - @"bluri.2653" and other "pro" streamers

lol I'm not a necro main. I'm terrible at necro. Not as bad as thief, but pretty terrible. Core ranger is pretty widely known as busted.

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:I mean it seems that a good core ranger can erase a necro, maybe that's just my perspective.

95% sure that's it's mainly mesmer main trying to drag all professions into the same state as theirs. ANet did a terrible job on mesmer these last years to the point that you could say it's ruined. The necromancer obviously isn't much less ruined by the poor handling it got, just like most of the professions.

The main issue isn't the "numbers" that the balance team try again and again to "balance" but the core design behind the different profession's gameplay.

• ANet pushed ranger in an unhealthy state due to it's core mechanism, unwilling to admit that adding shit on top of that was the problem.
  • Mesmer have been pushed to far into the shatter gimmick to the point that it's unredeemable.
  • Necromancer is a balance mess with a supersaiyan broken form (nobody should be able to shield it's health and dish it's A game dps at the same time!).
  • Engi hover between broken OP and UP.
  • Guardian dominance is blatantly ignored.
  • Thief is designed around broken OP short burst when leaving stealth (And this is the true problem that lead players to complain about it).
  • Revenant is still in Alpha, maybe close to Beta.
  • Warrior suffer from ANet adding, again, an F2 to their e-spec in a fit of powercreep.
  • And elementalist is still a junky holding dear onto the water magic traitline.

There are designs that are broken and need to be revised. The game of number change that ANet play and some players root for is just sickening to this point.

@Mauzi.5892 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:i play ele and those 7k pet hits need to go

necros tankness and chain fear spam also need to tuned down

Show me those 7k hits.My core ranger pet hits 1-2k without buffs.And remember that the pet is a mechanic of the class, so it's okay if it does damage. Otherwise it just becomes a mini.

You can get those numbers easily on tigers and birds. It's fine if it does damage its just some pets are doing a bit too much.