Everyone just runs away in WVW

HowlKamui.5120

I've been playing sPVP for a while and recently started doing some world vs world. I also play ESO for reference btw. Everything in GW2 is better than ESO in all aspects (the responsiveness of the game/ the mechanics/ the classes) except for one: no one wants to fight in WVW as compared to cyrodiil. Everyone just runs away, or fights you for a while before porting back in their towers.

Everyone just seems to just want to zerg. Don't get me wrong, ball groups are fun and all, but i want small scale fights or duels while roaming the map. Am I doing something wrong here?

I really want to enjoy WVW GW2, because I like every single aspect of this game over ESO except the large scale pvp experience (which is the most important game mode for me), so advice would be nice.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mikdepadua.8376 said:I've been playing sPVP for a while and recently started doing some world vs world. I also play ESO for reference btw. Everything in GW2 is better than ESO in all aspects (the responsiveness of the game/ the mechanics/ the classes) except for one: no one wants to fight in WVW as compared to cyrodiil. Everyone just runs away, or fights you for a while before porting back in their towers.

Everyone just seems to just want to zerg. Don't get me wrong, ball groups are fun and all, but i want small scale fights or duels while roaming the map. Am I doing something wrong here?

That's weird. Are you ganking lonners with 5 other allies? I don't have any trouble finding 1V1 against thiefs, warriors or reapers.

@mikdepadua.8376 said:We're mostly 2 people (my brother and I). I think mounts are a big offender of why small scale fighting doesnt happen

Ever since the update, alot of builds can no longer fight outnumbered due to massive nerfs to defensive cooldowns and sustain in general.Hurts Power builds double because power got nerfed too.

If yur gonna run around as a pair and look for solos to pick on, high chance they are just gonna run.

This is also the reason why people ball up these days instead of roaming : because it's just not gonna be safe or fun if yu roam solo and 2 or more players decide to gank.

There's the occasional skilled player which will gladly tango outnumbered but usually they are skilled to the point where he will run around till one of yu get bored and goes away before engaging in a 1v1.

@mikdepadua.8376 said:I've been playing sPVP for a while and recently started doing some world vs world. I also play ESO for reference btw. Everything in GW2 is better than ESO in all aspects (the responsiveness of the game/ the mechanics/ the classes) except for one: no one wants to fight in WVW as compared to cyrodiil. Everyone just runs away, or fights you for a while before porting back in their towers.

I really want to enjoy WVW GW2, because I like every single aspect of this game over ESO except the large scale pvp experience (which is the most important game mode for me), so advice would be nice.

Wouldn't you get more small scale fights by going back to Spvp then? You don't have to worry about territories, and other random WvW mechanics in Spvp...

D:

@"mikdepadua.8376" said:We're mostly 2 people (my brother and I). I think mounts are a big offender of why small scale fighting doesnt happen

The reason small scale doesn't happen is because the game has two groups left. Zergers, who want to zerg, and veterans who know that your 1v1 or even 2v2 is really just you trying to bait 1 -2 people into a group of 5-10. And even if you didn't set out with that idea in mind, we know that as soon as we engage you 2v2, the blob server you play on will have 10 people just "appear" and there goes the "fight".

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

Wouldn't you get more small scale fights by going back to Spvp then? You don't have to worry about territories, and other random WvW mechanics in Spvp...

D:

Because farming gear doesnt matter there. I dont know if im making sense, but it's nice working towards something on a game mode you like.

@"mikdepadua.8376" said:I think I got it. It's the mindset everyone has. everyone thinks dying is too much of a hassle that they'd rather stand around inside a tower and wait for a zerg rather than engaging in fights.

It's less about "engaging in fights" and more about engaging in a fight I have a chance of winning. I'm not good enough to 1v2 decent players, and I don't think my builds would do well. I'm very comfortable doing 1v1, but I'm not going to leap at you 1v2. If either of you were alone, I know a lot of people on my server wouldn't hesitate to go for it. Being in a party at all in WvW, in my opinion, drastically reduces your chances of getting a fight.

As a suggestion to actually help: take another team's camp and hang out. They'll come to you.

@mikdepadua.8376 said:I think I got it. It's the mindset everyone has. everyone thinks dying is too much of a hassle that they'd rather stand around inside a tower and wait for a zerg rather than engaging in fights.

Nah it's just that in every game mode +1 is a thing, if the OP plays a lot of PvP he must know that most of the time you do not fight the same number as you have.In wvw even more since +1 is usually more like +5. Or +50 when you are in T1.

Hit camps, especially t2/t3 camps, they will come. If you sit outside of their keeps they are just people running back to their squads, they aren't built to fight roaming builds there's zero reason for anybody to dismount and fight 2 gankers they have no chance against. If you want to fight actual roamers, look for upgraded camps.

The only difference mounts make is it points out who actually wants to fight and who doesn't according to the situation, I'm sure there's lots of people who don't like fighting certain classes, or don't like fighting outnumbered to start, or fighting certain guilds because they know it won't be a fair fight and extras are coming.

If your group is going after roamers they won't fight you when they're obviously at a disadvantage to begin with, just like you obviously wouldn't jump into a group of 5, unless it's someone with a build that's capable of taking on multiples. I personally wouldn't engage 1v2 unless it's certain classes.

with how builds work you either commit to smallscale or large fights. so if you're running around trying to fight players in the latter category they won't really stand a chance. so they're most likely only trying to get back to their group. i mean i'm not going to swap to a roaming build if i'm just running back to a larger fight.usually there are some spots where people gather for the types of fights you want. learn the maps and you'll eventually see where they gather.

What builds are you running?

GW2 is a casual PvE storymode game, and WvW is just a side mode with much less content updates. So, lots of ppl will jump into WvW from time to time, mostly doing some quick dailies. They meet hardcore WvW-roamers that have specialized on 1 vs 1 duel builds, cheese builds or ganking. So they run away.

Some fight elite demanded points per kill, and after the introduction guess what: more fight picking, more ganking, more run-aways. Why give the enemy server free points? Just pick fights that are guaranteed wins.

If you and your friend run together, with the same guild tag, as (idk) Holo + Weaver, with 25 power stacks . . . hell I would run too :# :3

well, taking aside the pleasure of most players to stick to blobs, I'd say running away just shows that the self preservation instinct of solo, unprepared, players works well in wvw and that's a good thing withing a warzone. it's part of the battle itself. your approach of getting your victims is also part of the strategy, being it outpacing them when they try to run away, pulling them out of a larger group, placing yourselves in the way of their objectives, ganking... there are lots of ways you can get fights if that's what you're after. you just need to get a bit creative.

If you're messing with our people I'll probably get at you right there but I'm going to press you and peel around at my pace, from your end that can look like anything from a one shot to avoiding you because there are other people on the map and I might have two or three things going on... or nothing going on and I just don't care if you're there. People are crafting builds and finding the type of action where those builds are rewarding. You might think you've got something and that people are afraid of you, but you should also consider that people have sized you up in a second or two and aren't very concerned with you at the moment.

I get some time after work to mess around in WvW so I build to cover our players, groups, and squads and there's nearly always something for me to do and at all different scales. WvW isn't open world, but it's in that area and people are surviving before ensuring a kill normally, that's just natural. You need to pack for engagement and control maybe, mounts shouldn't be a huge issue for you. You also need to know how to be subtle in a way that gets people to move without knowing you moved or turned them, I fish a lot of people off of walls with Scorpion Wire.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:If I see a horde of players you can bet a Charr's left buttcheek I will run. No need feeding them war score for no reason.

That kinda goes against your signature btw.

kitten it... :joy:

I choose death if I know I can't run anyway. Usually down one or two before I drop. Makes me really want no downstate even more when that happens.

A lot of the small scale and dueling builds in wvw are really annoying to fight, either because they can just sustain & kite forever, or because they are some ganking gimmick that relies on toxic game mechanics. Zerg players avoid small scale fights at all costs because most zerg builds have no chance of beating a "roaming" build, even if the zerg player is far more skilled. Other small scale fighters are often reluctant to commit to a fight because as others have said, there is usually a zerg or a ganking group nearby that wont hesitate to step in and end the fight. You might have some luck on the borderland maps, EBG is usually a mess.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:If I see a horde of players you can bet a Charr's left buttcheek I will run. No need feeding them war score for no reason.

That kinda goes against your signature btw.

kitten it... :joy:

I choose death if I know I can't run anyway. Usually down one or two before I drop. Makes me really want no downstate even more when that happens.

That feeling when you are in combat but you hear the Rapid Fire from the distance and a thief stealthing up :)

XvCLqxC.png