So, the new skyscale skin?

Not my thing at all. The primeval skins are about my limit for undead/ghostly mounts. Plus all the smoke effects look annoying, I think I'd spend a lot of time trying to dye those so they don't show up.

But I'm glad other people like it. I'll stick with the skins from the first skyscale pack.

The armor on it is a little distracting, I had to go with a very dark black so it like of blends more with the skin. My biggest gripe with it is the horns not being dyed along with the body, I wanted to make a white version but the horns are fixed as a dark grey.

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:Has to many horns, i don't like to ride a prey. (biological/evolutionary only prey's have horn, but predators have not.)

Til that Charr are prey animals.

Hm, the teeth are predator, the horn are prey, so they are a mixture, their ancestors must have been somewhere in the middle of the food-chain.

Teeth and claws are predator. Anyway, we have a sample size of one, the Earth. That’s not big enough to say that predators won’t have horns on other worlds.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:Has to many horns, i don't like to ride a prey. (biological/evolutionary only prey's have horn, but predators have not.)

Hm, the teeth are predator, the horn are prey, so they are a mixture, their ancestors must have been somewhere in the middle of the food-chain.

Teeth and claws are predator. Anyway, we have a sample size of one, the Earth. That’s not big enough to say that predators won’t have horns on other worlds.

I put a lot of thought into this last time this topic came up (probably too much) and I think that's definitely a factor. It's true that in real life vertebrates, carnivores don't have horns or antlers. Unless you count some reptiles which have horn-like protrusions on their skin, which aren't really horns. It's only some ruminants that have horn/antlers. (If you include invertebrates then it's a lot more complicated, starting with how you define horns.) But because they're only found in species which are relatively closely related it's difficult to say why.

As far as I can tell it's not clear if it's because the mutations which lead to horns didn't occur until after the ruminants had split off from other mammals, or because the same mutations proved a serious disadvantage to other species and so those individuals never survived. As far as I can tell scientific literature on the topic focuses mainly on the advantages horns provide to those species that have them, not why other species don't. But considering they're often mainly used for competition between individuals of the same species and only occasionally for defence I don't think it's as simple as 'you only need horns if something is trying to eat you, therefore having horns shows you are prey". If anything "you need horns if you're fighting amongst yourselves often enough to justify built in weaponry" would be more accurate. Which could easily explain the charr having horns.

But in this case maybe a more important point is that it's very, very rare to see a dragon without horns. You'd actually have an easier time finding images of dragons without wings or legs or (visible) teeth than a dragon without horns, spines or some sort of bony spikes. The only image I can find of a dragon without horns is from an April Fool's Day prank about Bangor University successfully breeding Welsh dragons, where they've photoshopped a reptilian skin pattern onto a baby bat. But of course an adult Welsh dragon has spines, and a horn on the nose. Considering the massive variation between dragons (to be expected in fantasy animals, especially ones which are so popular and with so many real-life inspirations) it's actually quite surprising that this one feature is so common.

@Danikat.8537 said:As far as I can tell it's not clear if it's because the mutations which lead to horns didn't occur until after the ruminants had split off from other mammals,

Several plant-eating Dinosaur had horns as well, e.g.:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triceratops with his 3 horns beeing the prey of the Tyrannosaurus (no horn)

@Danikat.8537 said:But in this case maybe a more important point is that it's very, very rare to see a dragon without horns.

Probably, that has the same explanation as charr's horns: Artists want to make them look most dangerous giving them all possible kinds of build in weapons, but don't care much about biology/evolution :)

Abit MLP vibe, luna and chrysalis, thin lithe body instead of normal bulk, but a Zhaitan Dragon-esque. Maybe the devs are referencing that, but I doubt it unless devs say something. Also possible its coincidental.I blame the silver stuff, especially the crown, circular burn holes and black with green.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Can we call the Narwhal a horned predator?

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:As far as I can tell it's not clear if it's because the mutations which lead to horns didn't occur until after the ruminants had split off from other mammals,

Several plant-eating Dinosaur had horns as well, e.g.:
with his 3 horns beeing the prey of the Tyrannosaurus (no horn)

@Danikat.8537 said:But in this case maybe a more important point is that it's very, very rare to see a dragon without horns.

Probably, that has the same explanation as charr's horns: Artists want to make them look most dangerous giving them all possible kinds of build in weapons, but don't care much about biology/evolution :)

Well, horns aren't a feature mutally exclusive to herbivores. The Carnotaurus would be an example from the past.

Today we have things like the Jackson’s Chameleon, Narwhals and Cerastes cerastes, the horned desert viper.