WHAT RACES WOULD YOU LIKE TO ADD TO THE GAME?

Nortt.9310

On 7/21/2021 at 4:05 AM, firedragon.8953 said:

Playable race?

Honestly, none.

Race adds nothing substantial in terms of gameplay mechanics in GW2. It would be a lot of work for a few moments of novelty. 

I feel like you're vastly underestimating how much a new race adds to the gaming experience for players like me. When WoW came out with the Zandalari I re-subbed and made multiple new characters and leveled them all to max level even though I already had characters using the same class as the new Zandalari were using.

Race adds a lot more than just novelty. It adds a whole new flavor of roleplay and a new culture to deeply invest in on top of new aesthetics to play around with in relation to gear and weapons. A new GW2 race would add even more since it'd come with a new level 1-10 experience and potentially a new racial capital.

I understand why Anet doesn't want to do it because of the workload but it kind of bugs me when people insist adding a new race wouldn't add anything of value to the game. New races are one of those big hooks that can get me coming back to a game and the range of playable races is a deal breaker for me if they don't have anything suitable to my preferences. GW2 has charr and sylvari who are my go-to choices here but the pickings are pretty slim otherwise. The game could use another option or two for the sake of variety.

... At the very least give Norn a racial battle tonic for their forms so they don't play like larger humans 99% of the time.

As for MY preferences. Tengu and Largos seem the most likely but have already been talked about a ton.

Personally I'd love playable nagas or krait even though I am fully aware it'll never happen. Same with centaurs. Though I think they could manage a sort of springing animation for the snake people the centaurs just wouldn't have good looking dodge animations.

I'd also love hylek even though they were a minor race in the personal story. Maybe one of the unique tribes from Maguuma instead?

Basically the further from human the better. Another true beast race like the charr but with a different flavor would make me so very happy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ehecatl.9172 said:

I feel like you're vastly underestimating how much a new race adds to the gaming experience for players like me. When WoW came out with the Zandalari I re-subbed and made multiple new characters and leveled them all to max level even though I already had characters using the same class as the new Zandalari were using.

Race adds a lot more than just novelty. It adds a whole new flavor of roleplay and a new culture to deeply invest in on top of new aesthetics to play around with in relation to gear and weapons. A new GW2 race would add even more since it'd come with a new level 1-10 experience and potentially a new racial capital.

All that may be true, but you forget that the first two chapters of the personal story is directly affected by the race of the character, all of which would need to be created for each race. Ideally, the new race would be added into the main story, but I doubt ArenaNet wants to rewrite the Zhaitan plot and all that history to add in a new race. If we're not rewriting the Zhaitan story, then the new race PC will not be the Commander. And if you're not going to be the Commander, that means certain lines being recorded twice, once for each version. Or you become a separate Commander of the Pact, and have to explain how that happens, and still miss out on killing Zhaitan yourself. Which then leads, how do you add the new race into the story? Simple answer: you don't.

As for a fantastical world where such things aren't an issue, I'd like to see tengu or largos as playable. Skritt may be cool, but the whole variable intelligence element makes it too complicated for an MMO (though perfect for a theoretical pen and paper RPG). I wouldn't mind seeing more of either the ogres or grawls in any capacity, since there aren't many of them in the game. Hylek are... well, if they weren't colour coded, it might've been better. Playable kodan would be cool if not for both the combat transform and their general lack of customization. I'm still not sure what to think about quaggan, because they're supposed to be culturally peaceful, but we've seen them start to be a bit more willing to fight.

As far as races introduced in the expansion, I'm not greatly impressed by the Itzel or the Nuhoch. The Exalted are a bit too glowy and close to mursaat for my comfort. Awakened raises so many questions. (pun not intended, but certainly welcome) Not sure how I'd feel about orphaned dragon minions like the Unbound Risen, Branded or Destroyers/Icebrood becoming playable. Including GW1 races... since we haven't seen some of them since then, I'd just assumed they've died out or are otherwise not associating with the 5 races.

Alas, I'm not especially creative in trying to make my own race, nor do I have a great passion to make one, either. Do we want to make something more original, like the charr? Or something more akin to a new asura: familiar but distinctly different? I just can't think of something.

1 hour ago, Rognik.2579 said:

All that may be true, but you forget that the first two chapters of the personal story is directly affected by the race of the character, all of which would need to be created for each race.

I literally mentioned this fact in my post. I understand why it'd be a lot of work for Anet to do, I just disagree that it wouldn't add value to the game or be worth doing.

Also you're kind of forgetting that Anet straight up ignores timeline inconsistencies already. Canonically it is impossible for the PC to be a revenant because Rytlock was the first, yet the Pact Commander can be a revenant while fighting Zhaitan before the class even existed yet. So that argument against a new race being Pact Commander doesn't work.

The Commander is a narrative void. If the player makes a Tengu the game will just treat the PC as having always been a tengu because the lore around the Commander already is inconsistent and paradoxical. 

12 hours ago, Ehecatl.9172 said:

I literally mentioned this fact in my post. I understand why it'd be a lot of work for Anet to do, I just disagree that it wouldn't add value to the game or be worth doing.

Also you're kind of forgetting that Anet straight up ignores timeline inconsistencies already. Canonically it is impossible for the PC to be a revenant because Rytlock was the first, yet the Pact Commander can be a revenant while fighting Zhaitan before the class even existed yet. So that argument against a new race being Pact Commander doesn't work.

The Commander is a narrative void. If the player makes a Tengu the game will just treat the PC as having always been a tengu because the lore around the Commander already is inconsistent and paradoxical. 

This can work I mean why not. The problem will be it will be some work to make a story until the pact part. Probably not more work then making a new class. 

2 hours ago, adormtil.1605 said:

This can work I mean why not. The problem will be it will be some work to make a story until the pact part. Probably not more work then making a new class. 

Sadly, I don't see that happening, either. Once they introduced elite specializations and that one would come out each expansion, it basically locked out new classes since a new class would probably need retroactive elites for each expansion, and that just doubles work from there on out.

Just as a pipe dream, I would love Dwarves, Kodan or Ogres.

Personally I just want to see more beast races as in most games I love to play as Orcs. 

Charr is the closest I get to this, but for me, I really don't like how they run. Really wish I could have them walk bipedal instead. 

Tengu.

Largos.

Tengu.

Whatever Razah was.

Tengu.

Humonid sentient golems.

Tengu.

Three skritt working together as one character.

Tengu.

Awakened.

Tengu

A new never seen race from the west continent on the other side of the unending ocean.

And of course, tengu.

But I don't see it ever happening, unless the story ever breaks from being the Commander, or newer characters have to play the older story from the Eye of the North as visions of a different character who is the commander. 

• Like 1

Tengu or Skritt.

Tengu because they fit the lore, they go way back in it and were also present in Guild Wars 1.

Skritt because those things are very funny and I'd have a blast playing as them, especially if they'd have funny voice lines, like the NPCs have.

Edited by Crono.4197
Small typo

24 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

Tengu or Skritt.

Tengu because they fit the lore, they go way back in it and were also present in Guild Wars 1.

Skritt because those things are very funny and I'd have a blast playing as them, especially if they'd have funny voice lines, like the NPCs have.

SKRITT! I'm hit!

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 3:52 AM, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

Three skritt working together as one character.

In the earlier days of MMORPGs there was exactly something like that - three smaller, fluffy creatures acting as one. Unfortunately I can't remember the game, never played it.

Three Skritt would be incredible funny to play as an adventure or a festival activity, but as a playable race...

• 1 month later...

I want something between an Asura and a human. DO NOT picture the image about how these would come to exist, but lets say somewhere in rata novis, humans and asura inter breed. You get something that looks like a asura but tall with human skin. 

Aka something that looks like elves- big ears, human skin with large eyes. It would be freaky and the lore fans would loose their minds, but pve players would be happy because elves are BEST.  

10 hours ago, AusarViled.7106 said:

I want something between an Asura and a human. DO NOT picture the image about how these would come to exist, but lets say somewhere in rata novis, humans and asura inter breed. You get something that looks like a asura but tall with human skin. 

Aka something that looks like elves- big ears, human skin with large eyes. It would be freaky and the lore fans would loose their minds, but pve players would be happy because elves are BEST.  

That's quite the assumption you're making about PvE fans.

On 8/7/2021 at 10:50 AM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Margonites: It's basically humans with glowing body parts so no real issues with armors... Well, you got 6 eyes instead of 2...

Two of my characters RP as New Margonites from the Reformed Church of Abaddon. Glowy purple effects with bronze themed armor. The Rev channels Mallyx a lot. Got mount skins to further the idea. It’s great 

as to the OP- I wouldn’t mind playing a Tengu, but overall I just don’t see ANet putting forth all that effort for such a small payoff. Maybe in a fractal or something? Like the Joko one reanimating us as Risen, we could do instances as Tengu (or other races, as well)