Suggestion: Allow us to SKIP the story - [Merged]

Kyrios.8736

@Atomos.7593 said:

@Dark Red Killian.3946 said:Perhaps they can include a special action key in open world story dialog that when pressed skips the current dialog being done. Thus you keep pressing until the entire dialog for that story step is done you can effectively skip a lot of dialog you don’t want to spend minutes listening to.

Interesting suggestion. The dialogues in Cyberpunk work like this and I used it all the time to skip the less interesting parts of the story for me. Worked well in this regard in my opinion.

yeah a fast forward button would work wonders too!

I would really like a skip button/mote for instances that were already completed by a character. Having to repeatedly wait through 10-15+ minutes of dialogue for one or a few achievements is tedious and a waste of time. Adding motes to skip you to mid-instance checkpoints would do wonders.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:I know the reasoning. Which to me is the same energy as: we don't add xy because it might clip. In a game where there are tons of clipping problems.It's not about clipping. It's more about the potential of the script bugging out and the whole instance/event stalling and becoming unfinishable, because the NPCs ended up to not be at the place script expected them to be at that point of time.

We have already way too many of those problems in this game. No point adding more of those.

@Ashantara.8731 said:What does it say about the quality of the story when players start to ask for a skip option?

Exactly.

It could say that they've played it 100 times. It could say that they have a distinct dislike for some, or all, of the characters involved, and just want to move on. It could say that the story is bad. It could say a lot of things.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Fuchslein.8639 said:I know the reasoning. Which to me is the same energy as: we don't add xy because it might clip. In a game where there are tons of clipping problems.It's not about clipping. It's more about the potential of the script bugging out and the whole instance/event stalling and becoming unfinishable, because the NPCs ended up to not be at the place script expected them to be at that point of time.

We have already way too many of those problems in this game. No point adding more of those.

It takes effort to fix the game, that's not news. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. Anet has enough resources to fix the issues with game and also add skip option. They just need to take initiative and we as players should tell them about what we want. If enough players ask for skip option, they will eventually add it.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:My only rebuke is.. maybe not play an RPG of you don't want a story?There's plenty of sandbox fantasy fighting games.Maybe WoW is more your lane if you want to fight without any story at all

RPG is not really a genre that requires a story. Role-playing does not equal a story, at least not one predetermined. The foundations for a role-playing game is a good character development system like D&D or S.P.E.C.I.A.L. or many more. The story is something that was up to players, hence role-playing. In the past, there were plenty of dungeon crawler RPGs. Not much story, just dungeon crawling. The story was up to the players. I think only with Baldur's Gate and Fallout was when RPGs in computer games were revitalized and when the story became a strong part. Never played Ultima games, don't know how strong were they in the story department.

I like the story AND I want the skip option. The first time through a new chapter I just enjoy the story, talk to all the characters, click on everything, go slow but not focus on achievements. Then I go back through the story to pick up achievements. I want to just get through the dialog and cut scenes to get to the part with the achievement. I fail often. I don’t want to repeat the slow parts 3 or 4 times.

Guildwars 2 is still Pegi 12. This has not changed and probably never will. That is why the story appears to be a little boring, flat and over-dramatic to us adults. It is written to please teenagers.

The new story-sections were a design choice. They did not longer want to use the cut-scenes. Instead they went for that quite immersive real-time-dialogue. The cut-scenes were definitely more farm-friendly, not going to argue about that. But it actually promoted the skip/FF mentality. We ended up with a large group of players who played that content, mostly dungeons, but had absolutely no clue what happened in there. Why? Because they were always told to skip the cutscenes ^^. Aint nobody got time for that.

You can skip story-dialogue and cutscenes in other games as well, like FFXIV. But if you do, you will reach a point where you are literally standing in the middle of nowhere, without a single clue why and what you are supposed to do.

We had this discussion a while ago. Having an option to skip story-dialogue you have already seen once, fine by me. So the achievement hunters and farmers can 'work' safely. But on the first playthrough, I do not think it is a good idea. The players should have at least a serious chance to learn what is going on in that world they play.

@kharmin.7683 said:But mastery points and achievements are account wide, no? Once you've done the story, there's no essential need/requirement to do it again on another toon?

So far i can't enter PoF without listening to herald of balthazar go on about...whatever forgetable monologue it was. The fact that you can circumvent it with the teleport to friend things seems needlessly convoluted. Not to mention that you need to waste one of those things just for that.

• Like 1

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:But mastery points and achievements are account wide, no? Once you've done the story, there's no essential need/requirement to do it again on another toon?

So far i can't enter PoF without listening to herald of balthazar go on about...whatever forgetable monologue it was. The fact that you can circumvent it with the teleport to friend things seems needlessly convoluted. Not to mention that you need to waste one of those things just for that.

I thought the discussion was about core Tyria masteries and achievements.

@kharmin.7683 said:

I though it was about skipping story.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

you can also get there via guild hall which I prefer since I can also unlock a bunch of waypoints(you can also get those with TTF if the person you are teleporting to is in Vabbi)

@Yggranya.5201 said:

I though it was about skipping story.

Yes, ok. True. However, the point to which I had responded seemed to be about core Tyria mastery points and achievements. No need to split hairs.

@"Andovar Edoras.2143" said:Well im in the reverse. Id like to enjoy the lore/story in the raids, yet completely skip those dumb boss fights. So when some feel like theyre being "forced out of content" by story, i feel the same about raids (and so does a large amount of people, who dont raid because they find it elitist)

I'm with you on that. Some of the story's you can get quite immersed into and then along comes a big bad boss with it's 2 trillion hit points and it's so out of sink with the story. As far as I'm concerned the boss has nothing to do with the story what so ever and seems more force fed into the story for reasons I cannot think of.It put's me off wanting to carry on with the story knowing I am going to have to deal with more of these bosses.

Have you noticed how bosses are telegraphed? When the story has you collect, destroy or activate 3 or 4 things along comes a boss right on queue.

Annoying fight and mechanics aside. Even if you love the story, it doesn't hold much if any replay-ability. I personally think the story is a drag on new players and new content. The way the original story is now broken up in level brackets is annoying, and the the non skip-able content that requires you to do story 3 times or more making different decisions in chat with 0 affect on the outcome should not waste hours upon hours of your life to do. They should be skip-able. Then the only thing left if the combat portions, which well to be honest you can have 4 other people to help get you through if you have issues for what ever reason.

This is not a problem - since there exist a lot of ways to skip the story already. (And btw: The crafting in this game is super boring. I know a lot of other games have simple systems as well. But when I remember stuff like in "Vanguard: Saga of Heroes" ... this one here pretty simple and boring.)

For the story you can mostly ignore it and focus on other parts. You just decide not to play it. Only when you wan to go to new maps where the story needs to lead you to the first WPs ... story is needed. Not a problem since there exists TP to friend and the option to buy scrolls (which you can use with other chars later).

Imo that is enough. People should at least have played the story once - even helps to understand the map story. (But yeah you might ignore that as well and just play for the mechanics, okay.) Story/lore and the beautiful map sare one of the main strenghts of the game. And ArenaNet might want to sell TP to friend items in the gem store.

I do not see any other reason why the story should be removed. (And for the items you get from the story/map meta achievements ... often there is just a PvP/WvW reward track that offers the same in the last chest ... and you can enjoy the combat system there.)

Edit: Just skipping dialogue to save time ... would be helpful though. Especially since the checkpoints for some achievements in story instances are weird/inconsistent. Some stuff is just more annoying to do. Others has tons of ways to reset just the fight or to replay with checkpoints.

@"Eraden.8740" said:As much as I FEAR these storylines, especially the big boss fights (I am arthritic and have Parkinson's so this is a major difficulty for me) I can't honestly say that we should be allowed to skip the storylines. These storylines are what the game is about! After each finished storyline, I sit back, once my hands stop hurting and shaking so much, and reflect back on what I had actually experienced in terms of the story. While none of these stories is likely to ever give "War and Peace" a run for it's money, they ARE interesting. In the end, do you really want to toss all this hard work that the developers have done, just to get to a few new juicy tidbits?

This is sunk cost fallacy. Just cuz Anet dumped resources into something that does not mean every player wants and have to play it. If the story is not interesting enough to stand on its own, without making mandatory to access other content, then why does it even exist? Chores?

@otto.5684 said:

@"Eraden.8740" said:As much as I FEAR these storylines, especially the big boss fights (I am arthritic and have Parkinson's so this is a major difficulty for me) I can't honestly say that we should be allowed to skip the storylines. These storylines are what the game is about! After each finished storyline, I sit back, once my hands stop hurting and shaking so much, and reflect back on what I had actually experienced in terms of the story. While none of these stories is likely to ever give "War and Peace" a run for it's money, they ARE interesting. In the end, do you really want to toss all this hard work that the developers have done, just to get to a few new juicy tidbits?

This is sunk cost fallacy. Just cuz Anet dumped resources into something that does not mean every player wants and have to play it. If the story is not interesting enough to stand on its own, without making mandatory to access other content, then why does it even exist? Chores?

In so far as expansions go, to get you to the maps? Yes, you can TTF, or get some scrolls, but some people just play what they have to, to get there. "But I don't like the stories" doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose, it just means you don't like them.

@otto.5684 said:

Indeed, there is no reason why you couldn't skip the story, so it's not like there is anything to argue about anyway. Not like my ability to skip it would remove it from anyone else. So here i am just wondering why some people here do that.