About The New Forum Emoji Reactions - Just As Bad As The Old Thumbs Up Or Thumbs Down Vote [Merged]

8 minutes ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

Confused emoji = down vote,

and people calling the down voters as "trolls", "passive aggressive", "harassment" or "no lifer", seems to not handle the fact that its a disapproval emoji. Its almost like they want to live in a delusion that their opinion are right and everyone against it is trolling.

Yes, majority used it as a downvote. But if you frequent the forum enough, you'll see posts that says absolutely the most neutral and non-controversial comments get the confused emoji. And I'm not talking about any sort of debates or arguments whatsoever. Just basic comments. Do check out some threads that are totally non-controversial.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

12 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Yes, majority used it as a downvote. But if you frequent the forum enough, you'll see posts that says absolutely the most neutral and non-controversial comments get the confused emoji. And I'm not talking about any sort of debates or arguments whatsoever. Just basic comments. Do check out some threads that are totally non-controversial.

*clicks confused emoji*

there does seem to be a group that click it for every post no matter how benign it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

I agree. Removing them all would be better. No more useless notification.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure you can disable the notifications for them. Somewhere in forum profile, IIRC. Was one of the first things I did when I joined the forums, unbearable otherwise. Later, I blocked them, but that's not supported by the forum software itself.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Important note: it's only a downvote in the minds of people who use it as such. The number or type of reactions on a post has abolutely no impact whatsoever on it's visibility or where in a thread it appears so they can be safely ignored (that goes for positive reactions too). Those who actually have something to say will say it, whether they click an emoji button as well doesn't matter.

(The forum software does contain the means for the reputation system, but it's not implemented on this forum and seems to consider any and all reactions to be a positive, so if it was ever turned on those spamming confused reactions would have sabotaged themselves by giving a considerable boost to their targets.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Nope, and there have been many complaint threads about it already, one even several pages long.

It's a troll emote for most part, worse than the crying one. There have been requests to remove these, but to no avail.

Removing them won't do anything unless you want fake toxic positivity where everything is always nice and happy.

Either no emoji, or negative emoji.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I didn't understand it either, until I was told it is the downvote button. Then it clicked as to why it appears on anything fanboys wouldn't like to see psoted. It's such an awful way to welcome people to the forums too. It's used far too much.

You were the only post that didn't have a confused reaction yet. I feel like that isn't allowed in this thread. So I fixed it.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

FWIW, I'm pretty sure you can disable the notifications for them. Somewhere in forum profile, IIRC. Was one of the first things I did when I joined the forums, unbearable otherwise. Later, I blocked them, but that's not supported by the forum software itself.

I looked for it but never found it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

I looked for it but never found it

Hmm, trying to remember what I disabled. If in the top right, you click the arrow to the right of your name and then click Account Settings and then Notification Settings on the right side of that page, it may be one of the settings there. I'm not sure there is one specifically for reactions, but if you disable most of it, it might stop it from notifying you of reactions. I was thinking there was a setting specifically related to reactions, but maybe I just disabled most of it and that's what stopped it.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Hmm, trying to remember what I disabled. If in the top right, you click the arrow to the right of your name and then click Account Settings and then Notification Settings on the right side of that page, it may be one of the settings there. I'm not sure there is one specifically for reactions, but if you disable most of it, it might stop it from notifying you of reactions. I was thinking there was a setting specifically related to reactions, but maybe I just disabled most of it and that's what stopped it.

There is "These notifications will be sent whenever someone mentions you or interacts with content you have posted."

But it's not separated between reply and emoji.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

There is "These notifications will be sent whenever someone mentions you or interacts with content you have posted."

But it's not separated between reply and emoji.

That might be the one I disabled. I didn't have any interest in being notified when someone mentions me or quotes me either, so I guess I didn't think about if someone might want one disabled, but not the other.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

I agree. Removing them all would be better. No more useless notification.

As petty as it sounds, negative emoji reactions (especially divisive confused-but-actually-not confused, but really just bitter but not really ones) do mess with your head for an inordinate amount of time.  Stalwart or not, they'll get to you.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

and people calling the down voters as "trolls", "passive aggressive", "harassment" or "no lifer", seems to not handle the fact that its a disapproval emoji. Its almost like they want to live in a delusion that their opinion are right and everyone against it is trolling.

If I write something positive about Raids/Hardcore content for example, and check the forums the next day to see 50-150 confused reactions spammed on my posts, sometimes going as far back as ~3 years, which no one will ever read anymore anyway - while I personally might find it hilarious that someone is wasting their time on such a thing, I'm fairly certain the intended effect is harassment/trolling. 

But even using it as a Downvote, a system which doesn't exist on this board, in lieu of an actual conversation is at best counter productive to what a forum is for.

If I have a bad take on something, I'd rather be told and then have the ability to either learn from it or argue it, depending on validity - and I like to extend that same courtesy to others. 

If you just anonymously drop Emojis you imo might as well not participate in the conversation, as nobody gains anything constructive from that - but to each their own.

TL;DR:

The act of disagreement (taking offense, etc.) is entirely pointless in of itself, without the "with what, how and why". Missing that is the annoying part. You can disagree with me all day as long as you can communicate it intelligibly - I might even learn something.

Edited by Asum.4960
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

Humanity managed for millennia without thumbs up and thumbs down buttons on every thought they have. If anything is delusional, it's thinking people need to know who approves and disapproves of every thought they have at all times, en masse.

Makes me think of that phrase that goes around, something like "it's none of your business what other people think of you." As in, it's really not healthy to be obsessing over other people's thoughts about you all the time. You really don't need that information. No one does. If you are trying to be part of a community, you need a baseline sense of whether you are staying mostly in line with the norms of that community. If you are trying to be friends with someone, you need to know if you are on good terms with them. Stuff like that. You don't need to know every time someone is frustrated with you and wants to say something behind your back to vent without requiring a confrontation, but downvote systems basically encourage people to express the stuff they'd normally express in private, but in public and passive-aggressively. If it was the kind of thing you want to say to someone's face and confront them about, you wouldn't need a reaction button for it. That's why people call it passive-aggressive.

As reddit has shown in great detail and constantly, almost no one uses the downvote as a way of cleaning up stuff that is off-topic or doesn't contribute to the discussion. They use it to say they disagree or don't like what the person said. Which circles back around to, no one needs to know that from every other passer-by. I would say the same about approval reactions. Nobody needs to know who all approves either. It's too much information and it's too lacking in context to be of any use to the person. It just adds noise to spaces that might otherwise have interesting conversation.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

54 minutes ago, Asum.4960 said:

If I write something positive about Raids/Hardcore content for example, and check the forums the next day to see 50-150 confused reactions spammed on my posts, sometimes going as far back as ~3 years, which no one will ever read anymore anyway - while I personally might find it hilarious that someone is wasting their time on such a thing, I'm fairly certain the intended effect is harassment/trolling. 

But even using it as a Downvote, a system which doesn't exist on this board, in lieu of an actual conversation is at best counter productive to what a forum is for.

If I have a bad take on something, I'd rather be told and then have the ability to either learn from it or argue it, depending on validity - and I like to extend that same courtesy to others. 

If you just anonymously drop Emojis you imo might as well not participate in the conversation, as nobody gains anything constructive from that - but to each their own.

TL;DR:

The act of disagreement (taking offense, etc.) is entirely pointless in of itself, without the "with what, how and why". Missing that is the annoying part. You can disagree with me all day as long as you can communicate it intelligibly - I might even learn something.

On one point I agree that some people disagree on a topic without any base but only because it goes against theirs.

But on the other, if you drop an opinion in a public forum (not your known group of friends/family), there's 3 intakes on it, either people agree with you, or disagree or introduce an better alternative.

Example, if you posted that "skyscale should be sold as gem store item", and instead of reading 7+ lines of every comment to understand if people agree or disagree with you, emojis play that part easily. You will get how many agree with you or disagree with you, it's not just for your benefit but for others having the same thoughts.

And there's gonna be explanations for it on the replies, those who "down voted" might read those comments and if they agree with they are gonna drop a like/thank emoji, this way people don't have to repeat it.

And there's always players repeating the same question every time, instead of browsing for it in forums and eventually people get tired of explaining it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Just use these ublock rules.

en-forum.guildwars2.com##.ipsFlashMsg_bottom
en-forum.guildwars2.com##.ipsReact_button
en-forum.guildwars2.com##.ipsReact_reactions
en-forum.guildwars2.com###elFullNotifications

Edited by rune.9572
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Humanity managed for millennia without thumbs up and thumbs down buttons on every thought they have. If anything is delusional, it's thinking people need to know who approves and disapproves of every thought they have at all times, en masse.

Makes me think of that phrase that goes around, something like "it's none of your business what other people think of you." As in, it's really not healthy to be obsessing over other people's thoughts about you all the time. You really don't need that information. No one does. If you are trying to be part of a community, you need a baseline sense of whether you are staying mostly in line with the norms of that community. If you are trying to be friends with someone, you need to know if you are on good terms with them. Stuff like that. You don't need to know every time someone is frustrated with you and wants to say something behind your back to vent without requiring a confrontation, but downvote systems basically encourage people to express the stuff they'd normally express in private, but in public and passive-aggressively. If it was the kind of thing you want to say to someone's face and confront them about, you wouldn't need a reaction button for it. That's why people call it passive-aggressive.

As reddit has shown in great detail and constantly, almost no one uses the downvote as a way of cleaning up stuff that is off-topic or doesn't contribute to the discussion. They use it to say they disagree or don't like what the person said. Which circles back around to, no one needs to know that from every other passer-by. I would say the same about approval reactions. Nobody needs to know who all approves either. It's too much information and it's too lacking in context to be of any use to the person. It just adds noise to spaces that might otherwise have interesting conversation.

You do realise that kitten sapiens survived mainly because they were able to maintain a community or society. And tho they didn't have "thumps up" or "thumps down", people voted in one form or another.

Disagreement is part of a society, you don't have to give kitten about it, but it does play a role. We are not living in a individual based civilization,and just cause people disagree doesn't mean your wrong. 

If you don't want people to disagree with you "publicly" then don't post in a public forum. Come on brother, your bubble is too obvious.

And the number of agreements/disagreements will decide whether your opinion is your opinion or a public one, this will help both players and developers.

P.s. yes there are people who downvote out of spite or just in general disagreement with out any base same for up votes, but those percentages are less. So if you get few domnvotes and no replies,you can ignore it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1