About The New Forum Emoji Reactions - Just As Bad As The Old Thumbs Up Or Thumbs Down Vote [Merged]

2 hours ago, Zavijah.2695 said:

Disagreeing with what someone says is a perfectly legitimate form of feedback. 

If I can tell some they, or their idea are stupid, in a much more polite way with an emoji, then I am all for it.

Well, if you could tell them that, you;d have done so, instead of using an emoji.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zavijah.2695 said:

If I can tell some they, or their idea are stupid, in a much more polite way with an emoji, then I am all for it.

Sure, because it communicates "Your post is stupid" when someone asked a technical question about the game and the person gave an accurate answer, even with a helpful link, and then gets a confused/cry reaction? How can such a post be considered "stupid" or "not be agreed with"?

Get real. 50% of the time, those reactions are used by trolls venting their real-life frustration online. That's just sad and shouldn't be encouraged, nor is it "polite" in any way. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

well now.  Lets say that you start a discussion, even an irl discussion, and I say, "I disagree," and then I walk away.  You can ask me why, but I don't have to elaborate.  I don't owe anyone an explanation for my opinions.  I assume these emojis are people saying their piece and walking away anonymously.  I do agree that a thumbs down button would be useful.  Perhaps a disagree button instead of a dislike button.
Frankly I often have an opinion but I can't articulate it very well.  However I don't want people to take silence as if it were agreement or approval.  Just because I am not good at rhetoric, doesn't mean that I should remain silent.

Claiming that leaving an anonymous emoji is cowardly is a rather shortsighted thing to say.  There are obsessive people who would hound a person relentlessly for an explanation.  They would harass a person, desperate to know why someone's opinion doesn't match their own.  In those cases creating a simple post of, "I disagree," becomes a risk that is not worth the effort.  You can't know if an obsessive will be triggered by your post and then begin a campaign of harassment.
If anything we need more emojis so that we can express a wider range of emotions anonymously.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

well now.  Lets say that you start a discussion, even an irl discussion, and I say, "I disagree," and then I walk away.  You can ask me why, but I don't have to elaborate.  I don't owe anyone an explanation for my opinions.  I assume these emojis are people saying their piece and walking away anonymously.  I do agree that a thumbs down button would be useful.  Perhaps a disagree button instead of a dislike button.
Frankly I often have an opinion but I can't articulate it very well.  However I don't want people to take silence as if it were agreement or approval.  Just because I am not good at rhetoric, doesn't mean that I should remain silent.

Claiming that leaving an anonymous emoji is cowardly is a rather shortsighted thing to say.  There are obsessive people who would hound a person relentlessly for an explanation.  They would harass a person, desperate to know why someone's opinion doesn't match their own.  In those cases creating a simple post of, "I disagree," becomes a risk that is not worth the effort.  You can't know if an obsessive will be triggered by your post and then begin a campaign of harassment.
If anything we need more emojis so that we can express a wider range of emotions anonymously.

I can sympathize that when it comes to things like feature suggestions or changes to the game, someone might desire to express a "do not want" without explaining why, but that seems like a solid argument for polls, not reaction buttons. Reaction buttons are far too ambiguous for matching context properly. Polls OTOH could be straightforward and get right to the point of how people feel about something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just be proud of what you post, lol. If you truly believe what you post, then why does a few emojis cast doubt? Honestly, if 98 people disagreed with me, 1 person thought it was funny, and 1 person actually thought it was helpful, then I think it was worth posting. This isn't reddit where people can actually get your post hidden.

It's especially ironic since people are sometimes so aggro as posting their opinion as the definitive truth.

I mean yes it could be better, but there's a fundamental problem that goes beyond emojis. If you're going to make a topic, don't act surprised if not everyone agrees with you. And don't speak on behalf of other people (eg, speak of "the pve community", when it's just you and maybe your other friend that may or may not exist).

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Heart: "Like"
Sad: "It makes me sad to think of that..." or "Why did you remind me that it used to be like that?"

Confused: "You...how did you get that idea?" or "Do you even know what you're talking about?" or "What does that have to do with anything?"

Laugh: "Oh you poor innocent child, it doesn't work like that!" or "HA!"

That's how I use them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
14 minutes ago, Metaljaw.6437 said:

Do you just like the emoji? Are you actually confused? Are you confused about the confused emotion? Is there just a general haze of confusion? Do we need a more comprehensive set of reaction emojis to alleviate your confusion? I'm confused!

Mesmers. The forums are filled with Cries of Frustration.

They're running Torch, so most of the time you can't see them. Also explains periodic flames.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Haha 17
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Well. This question is as easy to answer as these questions: 

Did sand get its name because it’s in the middle of the sea and the land? 

why do we call it a hamburger when it’s made from a cow?

does repeatably pushing the elevator button make the elevator go faster? 

we may never know. 

Edit: bring the confusion! We need more of it! 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Well. This question is as easy to answer as these questions: 

Did sand get its name because it’s in the middle of the sea and the land? 

why do we call it a hamburger when it’s made from a cow?

does repeatably pushing the elevator button make the elevator go faster? 

we may never know. 

Google seems to think all those questions have pretty simple answers.

For the OP's question, it just gives me back all the countless threads on the forum asking the same question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

28 minutes ago, Metaljaw.6437 said:

Do you just like the emoji? Are you actually confused? Are you confused about the confused emotion? Is there just a general haze of confusion? Do we need a more comprehensive set of reaction emojis to alleviate your confusion? I'm confused!

These are just emoji trolls. I just ignore those since they mean absolutely nothing.  You can give the most basic answer that is completely neutral and still get a few of those. Some forummers will log onto multiple accounts when arguing some points to "upvote" their replies and "downvote"  yours. They probably think doing so makes their arguments seem better.

• Like 2
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

It's the forums way of letting people "downvote" each other, it's just really passive aggressive. You'll get a warning for very mild personal attacks, so people stick with being "friendly" while giving confused emojis. I think some people just spam them for everything they disagree with.

Your experience will be better when you remove them

Edited by DexterousGecko.6328
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1