Seriously? now a set of armor skin cost 2900 Gems?

12 hours ago, Fenom.9457 said:

Oh god, everyone’s always gonna complain aren’t they? I for one find 500 gems for chest and legs an awesome value, considering the other parts cost that much I was expecting the leg and chest slots to be 800. 

I'm not here to complain and in the just don't buy it camp, considering it's at least a direct purchase with a known price and not some exploitative gambling scheme, but when did >30€ for an ingame armor set become "awesome value"? 

Just because they previously conditioned players to even more ridiculous prices? 

How are these "micro" transactions?

Considering you can buy whole games for that with potentially hundreds of hours of content, I guess I'll remain baffled by such statements. 

But props to the games industry, your condition and desensitisation efforts are working splendidly. 

All this stuff went from free ingame content and updates and cheat codes to a couple of cents/euros micro transactions to the prices of full games, and no one is batting an eye or even stepping in to defend.

Edited by Asum.4960
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

I didn't.  Read the post again.  The only thing about the gemstore that I mentioned was outfits.

The point that I was making was that years ago Anet had stated that outfits would be obtainable in the gemstore but armor skins would be obtainable through playing the game (or maybe they meant armor sets).  You twisted that statement to make it as if I stated that gem store armor skins would be obtainable in the game.

Edit:

Still trying to find their exact post about having outfits be gem store only and armor sets being obtainable through playing the game but I'm finding references.  Those of us who were around back these should remember this.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Less-Outfits-more-Armor-Skins/page/1#post6312331

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Stop-making-Outfits-Start-making-Armor/page/1#post6440269

You were going on about a contrived point about how armor sets that are in the gemstore somehow was because outfits aren’t profitable anymore? I guess because you were under the notion they weren’t going to be? Even though in your link that’s still all forum speculation... yeah sure... I guess I misconstrued what you were trying to say?

Thats still besides the point entirely, Anet has never said, from what I can find, that they wouldn’t be selling armor skins, not outfits, at any point.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Toxic_Gloves_Skin

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Toxic_Mantle_Skin

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glowing_Crimson_Mask

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fuzzy_Quaggan_Hat

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Phantom's_Hood

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aetherblade_Heavy_Armor_Skin

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Primeval_Heavy_Armor_Skin

Just a handful of what has been available over the years since launch, check their gemstore history to see the dates they’ve been available. I’d venture a guess at saying the posts about anet not selling individual armor pieces is entirely conjecture.

Edited by Clex Mix.7624
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Asum.4960 said:

I'm not here to complain and in the just don't buy it camp, considering it's at least a direct purchase with a known price and not some exploitative gambling scheme, but when did >30€ for an ingame armor set become "awesome value"? 

Just because they previously conditioned players to even more ridiculous prices? 

How are these "micro" transactions?

Considering you can buy whole games for that with potentially hundreds of hours of content, I guess I'll remain baffled by such statements. 

But props to the games industry, your condition and desensitisation efforts are working splendidly. 

All this stuff went from free ingame content and updates and cheat codes to a couple of cents/euros micro transactions to the prices of full games, and no one is batting an eye or even stepping in to defend.

People have tried, sadly it just hasn’t gained much traction. But it’s also a bit different for game devs looking to make 1 ip last for at least a decade. I’d forgive it a bit more for a game like gw2 that isn’t pay to win so everything is entirely optional. But look at WoW and ff14, both have a sub and cash shop and I hear ff’s is worse than gw2’s. 

But as far as madden, nba2k, fifa etc all having crazy gambling schemes.... despicable just how bad they’ve gotten. Especially when they try to shove yearly installments down people’s throats

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

You were going on about a contrived point about how armor sets that are in the gemstore somehow was because outfits aren’t profitable anymore? I guess because you were under the notion they weren’t going to be? Even though in your link that’s still all forum speculation... yeah sure... I guess I misconstrued what you were trying to say?

Thats still besides the point entirely, Anet has never said, from what I can find, that they wouldn’t be selling armor skins, not outfits, at any point.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Toxic_Gloves_Skin

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Toxic_Mantle_Skin

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glowing_Crimson_Mask

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fuzzy_Quaggan_Hat

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Phantom's_Hood

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aetherblade_Heavy_Armor_Skin

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Primeval_Heavy_Armor_Skin

Just a handful of what has been available over the years since launch, check their gemstore history to see the dates they’ve been available. I’d venture a guess at saying the posts about anet not selling individual armor pieces is entirely conjecture.

No. You twisted what I said. Many years ago they said that outfits would continue to come from the gem store but armor sets would be obtainable through playing the game. The links that I provided, although not showing Anet state this, backed up this notion. Someone else even found something from Anet stating exactly this which I’m pretty sure you’ve already seen and yet you cornice to say that this is forum speculation. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

No. You twisted what I said. Many years ago they said that outfits would continue to come from the gem store but armor sets would be obtainable through playing the game. The links that I provided, although not showing Anet state this, backed up this notion. Someone else even found something from Anet stating exactly this which I’m pretty sure you’ve already seen and yet you cornice to say that this is forum speculation. 

Who cares if some randos on the forums “backed up” anything, that’s just not how things work. What probably happened is those forums discussions were working off bad info in the first place. 

And again, do you not see how one could assume you mean gem store armor pieces would be from playing the game? You keep bringing up how only outfits will be in the gemstore blah blah...

Go raid, go get the ascended pieces and leggo pieces, go do the collections in season 4 and 3. There’s your armor sets.... at this point you’re just wanting to argue over hopes. Not facts. Or logic.

Ill make this point again, if Anet had any intention of taking armor pieces off the gemstore or stop making new ones, they probably wouldn’t keep selling the ones they had, much more than I linked, and they wouldn’t have kept making them over the years, I really don’t see how the ice set is any worse... it’s all digital goods. 

Edited by Clex Mix.7624
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

Who cares if some randos on the forums “backed up” anything, that’s just not how things work. What probably happened is those forums discussions were working off bad info in the first place. 

And again, do you not see how one could assume you mean gem store armor pieces would be from playing the game? You keep bringing up how only outfits will be in the gemstore blah blah...

Go raid, go get the ascended pieces and leggo pieces, go do the collections in season 4 and 3. There’s your armor sets.... at this point you’re just wanting to argue over hopes. Not facts. Or logic.

Ill make this point again, if Anet had any intention of taking armor pieces off the gemstore or stop making new ones, they probably wouldn’t keep selling the ones they had, much more than I linked, and they wouldn’t have kept making them over the years, I really don’t see how the ice set is any worse... it’s all digital goods. 

"For example, armor sets are now exclusively designed as in-game rewards while outfits are primarily Gem Store offerings. "

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-developer-spotlight-on-crystin-cox/

The above was referenced a few times in this thread and again by me in the previous post.  You stating that this was speculation is completely incorrect.

The "gem store armor pieces from playing the game" came from either my post being misread or intentionally twisted. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

"For example, armor sets are now exclusively designed as in-game rewards while outfits are primarily Gem Store offerings. "

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-developer-spotlight-on-crystin-cox/

The above was referenced a few times in this thread and again by me in the previous post.  You stating that this was speculation is completely incorrect.

The "gem store armor pieces from playing the game" came from either my post being misread or intentionally twisted. 

Can you buy leggo armor? Reliquary? Raid specific ascended gear through the gemstore? 

Im going to take an interview with one dev with a grain of salt. I don’t think anyone would disagree that it’s silly there’s so many cosmetics in the gem store. But for the past 9 years there have been armor pieces (not whole sets) in the store. And as I’ve stated before they are optional. They give 0 player power. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not understanding the reason to complain...if you don't think it's a good value...don't buy it.  Voting with your wallet is the ONLY feedback ANet ever needs for the Gem store.

Personally, I don't think $25 is worth spending on a skin...I don't care how good it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

Can you buy leggo armor? Reliquary? Raid specific ascended gear through the gemstore? 

Im going to take an interview with one dev with a grain of salt. I don’t think anyone would disagree that it’s silly there’s so many cosmetics in the gem store. But for the past 9 years there have been armor pieces (not whole sets) in the store. And as I’ve stated before they are optional. They give 0 player power. 

What does legendary armor and ascended gear even have to do with this???

The link proves that what you had stated earlier against my post was incorrect. I’m fairly certain that if the same interview had instead backed up what you had said, you wouldn’t be trying to discredit/dismiss it. Have you read the entire interview/blog? That dev took over the team that managed rewards. 

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

The link proves that what you had stated earlier against my post was incorrect. I’m fairly certain that if the same interview had instead backed up what you had said, you wouldn’t be trying to discredit/dismiss it. Have you read the entire interview/blog? That dev took over the team that managed rewards. 

Other than the literal 1 set in question other pieces have been offered THROUGH heart of thorns up to now. I think maybe what YOU’RE hung up on is the definition to “armor sets” and the exclusivity to whic they refer to. All the “sets” you can get in game right now are ENTIRELY EXCLUSIVE to playing the game. And by your own logic it seems the dev in question is responsible for what items remained on the gem store and came out at the launch of HOT as well... 

Does it not strike you odd that you read this piece of info, likely written to placate... well this audience, and there still being gemstore shoulders gloves boots, random headpieces, glasses etc etc in the gemstore still and still being developed? It’s not like people can go on the gemstore and buy the armor specific to raids, legendaries, crafting, collections via the gem store... which is the entire point you’re missing and trying to disprove?

To sum it up for you.... there are armor sets... you can not buy... with gems. Soooo is the issue more or less why aren’t there more? Well I’d direct you to the posts from “casuals” who complain that obtaining said gear is “impossible”.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

Other than the literal 1 set in question other pieces have been offered THROUGH heart of thorns up to now. I think maybe what YOU’RE hung up on is the definition to “armor sets” and the exclusivity to whic they refer to. All the “sets” you can get in game right now are ENTIRELY EXCLUSIVE to playing the game. And by your own logic it seems the dev in question is responsible for what items remained on the gem store and came out at the launch of HOT as well... 

Does it not strike you odd that you read this piece of info, likely written to placate... well this audience, and there still being gemstore shoulders gloves boots, random headpieces, glasses etc etc in the gemstore still and still being developed? It’s not like people can go on the gemstore and buy the armor specific to raids, legendaries, crafting, collections via the gem store... which is the entire point you’re missing and trying to disprove?

To sum it up for you.... there are armor sets... you can not buy... with gems. Soooo is the issue more or less why aren’t there more? Well I’d direct you to the posts from “casuals” who complain that obtaining said gear is “impossible”.

Yes its entierly about sets 6 pieces of armor in the same style and the developer saying they would be earnable in game.

The only reason I can think of they did gloves, helmets, shoulders and shoes is it took less effort ( since it wasent a set of 6 they got around the statment they did)

Now people are trying to get them to complete all the other 1-4 piece armors they churned out tho.

And no living stories dont have sets either, season 4 4 piece corsair armor as an example.

Im think more and more that these were supposed to be rewarded for each map meta achiv but got pulled and they put in emotes instead.

2 hours ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

Armor set as defined by the wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_set.

The gem store items are not in-game rewards.

The other armor skins that have been made available on the gem store were one-offs and never approached reaching an armor set.

I'll explain how things went down years ago as I'm assuming that you're fairly brand new to the game (although I could be mistaken).  Prior to HoT, Anet was releasing armor sets while nothing was being added in-game.  Players want new armor sets and the only way to acquire them appeared to be through the gem store.  Eventually there was a discussion with Anet (this actually used to happen) and they stated they would reserve armor sets an in-game rewards and outfits would be through the gem store.  They further elaborated the armor sets would be through expansions only.  This was further backed up by the blog post that I linked.  Other posts that I linked indicate how costs it is to create armor sets.  Those could be used to justify why the cost of individual armor skins cost more that costumes are for what you get with the purchase. 

I read the OP's post and indicated how I was disappointed that we were getting an armor set through the gem store when they previously had agreed that outfits would be through the gem store and armor would be through in-game.  That post was then twisted to make me out as saying that gem store armor should be obtainable in-game.   I then stated that Anet had said this exactly what I had said but it was dismissed as being untrue and an official post about it was requested to be linked.  When one such post was eventually linked, it was quickly dismissed as one dev saying something didn't matter despite said dev being in charge of the team that did rewards.  On top of that, random things have been incoherently added to the discussion such as legendary armor and ascended armor which have nothing to do with this.

I've defended my initial statement and provided official evidence which backs it up completely.  There's really not much more to discuss with you other than things which have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes its entierly about sets 6 pieces of armor in the same style and the developer saying they would be earnable in game.

The only reason I can think of they did gloves, helmets, shoulders and shoes is it took less effort ( since it wasent a set of 6 they got around the statment they did)

Yes. The main reason why they stopped releasing full armor sets through gemstore was because they were too difficult to make. They also stated at some point that developing boots, headpieces, gloves and shoulders is much easier than chest and leg pieces.

In general, it's not even like they decided to stop releasing armor pieces through gemstore specifically - it's that the amount of armor pieces in total they were releasing went down significantly (and switching to outfits in gemstore was just a justification for that). It's even more clear when you cinsider, that doing more complicated armor sets (and gemstore skins often do tend to be flashy ones) takes them longer - with the ultimate expression of that (the raid legendary armor set) taking them a full year to make.

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes. The main reason why they stopped releasing full armor sets through gemstore was because they were too difficult to make. They also stated at some point that developing boots, headpieces, gloves and shoulders is much easier than chest and leg pieces.

In general, it's not even like they decided to stop releasing armor pieces through gemstore specifically - it's that the amount of armor pieces in total they were releasing went down significantly (and switching to outfits in gemstore was just a justification for that). It's even more clear when you cinsider, that doing more complicated armor sets (and gemstore skins often do tend to be flashy ones) takes them longer - with the ultimate expression of that (the raid legendary armor set) taking them a full year to make.

Actually, it took 2 years for the Legendary Armor (Raid). 

Armor set as defined by the wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_set.

The gem store items are not in-game rewards.

The other armor skins that have been made available on the gem store were one-offs and never approached reaching an armor set.

I'll explain how things went down years ago as I'm assuming that you're fairly brand new to the game (although I could be mistaken).  Prior to HoT, Anet was releasing armor sets while nothing was being added in-game.  Players want new armor sets and the only way to acquire them appeared to be through the gem store.  Eventually there was a discussion with Anet (this actually used to happen) and they stated they would reserve armor sets an in-game rewards and outfits would be through the gem store.  They further elaborated the armor sets would be through expansions only.  This was further backed up by the blog post that I linked.  Other posts that I linked indicate how costs it is to create armor sets.  Those could be used to justify why the cost of individual armor skins cost more that costumes are for what you get with the purchase. 

I read the OP's post and indicated how I was disappointed that we were getting an armor set through the gem store when they previously had agreed that outfits would be through the gem store and armor would be through in-game.  That post was then twisted to make me out as saying that gem store armor should be obtainable in-game.   I then stated that Anet had said this exactly what I had said but it was dismissed as being untrue and an official post about it was requested to be linked.  When one such post was eventually linked, it was quickly dismissed as one dev saying something didn't matter despite said dev being in charge of the team that did rewards.  On top of that, random things have been incoherently added to the discussion such as legendary armor and ascended armor which have nothing to do with this.

I've defended my initial statement and provided official evidence which backs it up completely.  There's really not much more to discuss with you other than things which have absolutely nothing to do with it.

I’ve played both games since launch. Much like the first, the endgame is lateral. Both games had the “elite” (not the names Elite armor) sets that was mostly what you did in endgame, weapons as well though it wasn’t crafting leggo weapons in gw1. Other than that crafting the “best” armor sets seems to be their niche. 

Gw2 offers a bit more power through ascended/legendary sets over exotic as well as infusion slots. Now what does this have to do with any of your points? Maybe the fact there’s at least 65 different armor sets outside of anything in the gemstore. Yet... here we are, saying we want more outside of the 5?ish available in the gemstore? (Depending on armor type). Yet anytime someone mentions all these armor sets they are somehow irrelevant?

Now tell me... is it the fact that maybe some of these “sets”, only obtainable in game, are only exotic? Is it the fact that some of them don’t have special effects like the Ice Reaver set? Or is it more that we as players feel entitled that because we made a purchase to play the game that we have a say on what we get and HOW we get it? 

I honestly feel like all it comes down to is “ooo looky, frost effects on this otherwise mediocre armor set, but why do I have to pay for the effect... but I still really want it”. Maaaaybe that’s the entire point of the armor? Far be it from me as a consumer to try and control how a company does business, I think crap like this will ultimately hurt the gaming industry as a whole....just not in the immediate future.

But to think that Anet is somehow contractually obligated to not design and promote the sale of a gemstore armor “set”, because of vaguely saying armor sets are exclusive to playing vs gems is naivety at best. And yes I say vaguely because they call the Ice Reaver stuff “armor skins”. And I’ve said this so many times, it’s entirely optional to buy, it’s not as if the gear is legendary quality. 

Now while I’d agree that I’d rather see the effort go into a flashier set that’s earnable by playing, which seems to be the issue.... what I think we should admit is that people want it to be easier than legendary armor... easier than something like the ghostly infusion. Because there’s just as much if not more posts about the “grindyness” of legendary armor and weapons. But then you’re going to have pushback from players that have earned  the legendary sets and thus the cycle continues. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It's not expensive at all because you don't have to buy the full set. If you want full sets, buy Outfits. I usually hate helmets and shoulders so I can just ignore those. I have plenty of gloves and boots at this point so I only grabbed the new chest and pants and mix-and-matched them with stuff I already had. I am so glad we can buy the pieces we actually want! It's amazing! I absolutely hate Outfits but I'm more active in GW2 again because armor skins are coming back and I can't wait for future styles! :D