PSA No Down State Week Starting This Friday Reset June 18th

XenesisII.1540

44 minutes ago, Junkpile.7439 said:

Maybe remove ress too so enemy would actually need to run back. If i solo kill enemy middle of 20 man guild blob they just ress him after he die.

That's the point, there's no down state so no ressing allies next week. Your health hits zero, you die straight away. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Junkpile.7439 said:

Maybe remove ress too so enemy would actually need to run back. If i solo kill enemy middle of 20 man guild blob they just ress him after he die.

You got your reward. That player gets rewarded for running with a team. Any other game mechanics designed around team play and social interaction you want to scrap so people have to run longer and be miserable?

• Like 4

On 6/14/2021 at 8:30 PM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I mean engis don't have a downstate anyways, so it's all good.

Also people can't make excuses about rallybot "pugs", so it's always funny to see people reaching for the next excuse

What!? No we may not have a downstate but we have the best get over here and spike me already state! I mean who else get the options to pull someone over for hugs so that you can get back to spawn all the faster! 

• Haha 3

On 6/14/2021 at 7:23 PM, kash.9213 said:

You got your reward. That player gets rewarded for running with a team. Any other game mechanics designed around team play and social interaction you want to scrap so people have to run longer and be miserable?

It's a long term discussion, but so far the answer remains, zerg wins. One day, unlikely, but maybe one day that may not be true but for now it is. Zerg wins. 

1 hour ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

It's a long term discussion, but so far the answer remains, zerg wins. One day, unlikely, but maybe one day that may not be true but for now it is. Zerg wins. 

The zerg wins if it's good. If it's bad the zerg gets wiped. Was there a point?

Edited by kash.9213
  • Like 1

I think it makes it easier for small scale and for intermediate 10v20 or 20v30 to make smart plays and win by not needing to secure kills. 

It doesn't matter for 1v10 or 10v30 or 20v50. The lower numbers still lose. But that's the nature of the mode. 

In the end it is a fun, if rare for various reasons, event that I look forward to. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

The zerg wins if it's good. If it's bad the zerg gets wiped. Was there a point?

It's a tangent to this thread and found in others. The point is in most cases if you end up with people left standing a side with more numbers can effectively bring their side back on the spot of the fight and lose no ground. That's not wrong in itself since a more organized side should be rewarded by having more show up. Sure the defeated were rewarded for anything they were able to bring down, but in terms of the fight, the side that won a pyrrhic victory paid nothing for it.  They lose a little time bringing up their dead but they can just motor on from there. Where as the losing side (that may more often include the side with fewer numbers) are now all strung out and are having to come back to the fight. That's where personally I see issue when discussing game balance between two sides of unequal numbers. I am not saying they should be equal sizes, nor am I saying the side with less should get an advantage, but more the mechanics aren't as punishing to a side with more numbers and the dead are not treated equally. To me the biggest argument for keeping downstate is the amount of gameplay that is added to the fight, but right now there is no difference in reviving a downed or rezzing a dead and that I think could use more distinction at some level. The reason I even mention this in this thread is this event highlights that as the it levels out the playing field by just a little. In my opinion and experience we see more larger group wipes during the no downstate events than at other times for whatever reason (which there are a number of but not part of the point).  Some of the changes discussed in the past in regards to no downstate or adjusting downstate have included that aspect of who all must run back versus can be picked back up. WvW is about large scale fights, no doubt, but it still favors zerg play over others and to me that shouldn't be the most efficient way of play since WvW is about the fights, and taking and holding ground. Anyway tldr but you did ask so forgive the long winded reply. If anything over time I think the forums have shown there are a lot of differing views to downstate and it's not just about have or have not. Good hunting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

It's a tangent to this thread and found in others. The point is in most cases if you end up with people left standing a side with more numbers can effectively bring their side back on the spot of the fight and lose no ground. That's not wrong in itself since a more organized side should be rewarded by having more show up. Sure the defeated were rewarded for anything they were able to bring down, but in terms of the fight, the side that won a pyrrhic victory paid nothing for it.  They lose a little time bringing up their dead but they can just motor on from there. Where as the losing side (that may more often include the side with fewer numbers) are now all strung out and are having to come back to the fight. That's where personally I see issue when discussing game balance between two sides of unequal numbers. I am not saying they should be equal sizes, nor am I saying the side with less should get an advantage, but more the mechanics aren't as punishing to a side with more numbers and the dead are not treated equally. To me the biggest argument for keeping downstate is the amount of gameplay that is added to the fight, but right now there is no difference in reviving a downed or rezzing a dead and that I think could use more distinction at some level. The reason I even mention this in this thread is this event highlights that as the it levels out the playing field by just a little. In my opinion and experience we see more larger group wipes during the no downstate events than at other times for whatever reason (which there are a number of but not part of the point).  Some of the changes discussed in the past in regards to no downstate or adjusting downstate have included that aspect of who all must run back versus can be picked back up. WvW is about large scale fights, no doubt, but it still favors zerg play over others and to me that shouldn't be the most efficient way of play since WvW is about the fights, and taking and holding ground. Anyway tldr but you did ask so forgive the long winded reply. If anything over time I think the forums have shown there are a lot of differing views to downstate and it's not just about have or have not. Good hunting!

I get you're overall point but don't entirely agree with it. If a zerg is getting wiped already, they're not going to get a lot of refill, especially in todays WvW because the attempt is likely to turn into a bag farm. That's usually when a map change happens. I think Down State is good for team work and for the games combat in general but I think other tools should replace the class specific Downed skills and not allow Rallying and maybe once full down we should have to waypoint. 

I haven't noticed larger groups performing differently during no down state weeks though. The last few of those weeks there a lot of people who just didn't play or didn't play any differently, but our perspectives can only tell of our log in times and servers.