Shing Jea looks kinda bad??

20 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

No, it does not. As I wrote earlier on the official annoucement thread:

P.S. Judging by the artwork, I think it will look absolutely gorgeous. 👍

For one its not artwork and for a second shing jea wasnt really "colourful". The new sing jea feels like its in the outskirts of maguuma colour wise.

Edited by zealex.9410
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

-- face palms as well --

As I said before, and you’ve admitted about yourself elsewhere: nit-pick.

Fine, it’s too green for a jungle area. Jade Sea or Shing Jea Island. Also, Maguuma Jungle is too green. Excuse me. The Heart of Maguuma. Don’t want you arguing that either.

My apologies. Your inner nerd overpowered mine with your attention to detail and minutia. I shall endeavour to be more precise in order to please your exactitude.

Better?

Its just importand to know what region of the world its being talked about so accurate claims and statements can be made. cantha is a very diverse continent so its importand to be specific.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

Its just importand to know what region of the world its being talked about so accurate claims and statements can be made. cantha is a very diverse continent so its importand to be specific.

My apologies for any confusion the word ‘area’ may have caused. I edited the verbiage to avoid any further hand-wringing due to attention to detail. Don’t sweat it. Nerds tend to fuss over nonsense that means nothing in the long term. Either way, you're entitled to your opinion. And I respect that, regardless.

And it ain’t my first time on the forum rodeo. 😉

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, zealex.9410 said:

For one its not artwork and for a second shing jea wasnt really "colourful". The new sing jea feels like its in the outskirts of maguuma colour wise.

I've corrected myself regarding the picture in question - I missed the second one. Very sorry about that.

However, I assume the "bad look" comes from the post-processing effect used in the screenshot. I play without, which is why the respective fractal looks gorgeous to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

1) XPac isn't released, all we have is a picture. Yet people find time to complain. Can we at least wait until it's released or until there has been a beta before we naysay the thing?

2) It's been 250+ years in the world of tyria. Things will have changed over time. It's natural.

3) If you want GW1 Cantha, feel free to play that game, servers are still running.

4) This is the problem with nostalgia and why I wouldn't have gone to Cantha if I were Anet. But alas, I'm not, so we will have to deal with "but this isn't like my memory from ten years ago"-threads once again.

Ain’t that the truth.  The GW2 story is 200 years in the future from GW1, so of course areas will change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I’m all for bright colors, but that shade of green is very unappealing to me. Reminds me of the bright neon greens in Caledon, which I detest. It  just makes me think of Mountain Dew or something which is… not what I want my lush, verdant landscapes to call to mind. 😂

Hopefully the tint of that green will look different in engine when we get there.

• Thanks 3

Looking at the screenshot again the mountains/cliffs on the right side look like they don't even have textures and just raised terrain in a map editor.

So I'm assuming it's not finished, this is just a general preview of what the architecture/map layout will be with some asset previews. I have no doubt it will look amazing live though. The map artists have always been great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Yeah, it looks like an in-game screenshot!

I also like it. It does look quite saturated, but maybe this will depend on graphical settings. Overall, I think it looks great, and I doubt this is a final render of what we will actually see. Anyway, why would I want a Cantha that looks the same right after the Jade Wind and in a plague? If I want to visit the old Cantha ascethic, I'd just go log into GW1.

Some cheery/gorgeous maps would be nice tbh. Hoping the Echovald forest will remain a bit dark and gothic though, even if there is a return to "life" as it were.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zealex.9410 said:

The first image looks bland and it's a mountain side with no mist...

The terrain has no detail... green parts somehow Looks like minecraft terrain...

River and valley should be rich in flora and teeming with life not look bland olivey green.... It should have lawn green...

I love the vibrant green on second image... Makes me happy just by looking at it and also it has all the aspects of mountain side valley with mist slightly obscuring the view and lush green flora... I love the second image

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

The first image looks bland and it's a mountain side with no mist...

The terrain has no detail... green parts somehow Looks like minecraft terrain...

River and valley should be rich in flora and teeming with life not look bland olivey green.... It should have lawn green...

I love the vibrant green on second image... Makes me happy just by looking at it and also it has all the aspects of mountain side valley with mist slightly obscuring the view and lush green flora... I love the second image

Not talking about the detail or blandness of the each screenshot, strictly talking about the colours of the rocks and foliage. Ofc in other aspects like detail and foliage variety gw2 looks more detailed.

I don't really associate Shin Jea with the moody parts of Cantha, that was always the streets under the city and Echovald Forest. Even in the original Shin Jea the green really pops against the black of the mountains so making it kind of bright in GW2 makes sense to me.

• Like 3

It's actually not the colours that concern me most about the GW2 version, but the scaling.

Why are the tiles on the roof over bridge gateway so much bigger than the adjacent building (which is actually in front of it)?

It reminds me of the trees in the Elon Riverlands being taller than the surrounding mesas - ever since HoT the trees have been all over the place in scale - and the Necropolis in Vabbi being so oversized it'd be physically unable to remain standing with the building materials they've used. At some point I'd hope the art director would tell the environment artists to rein it in a bit, because it's making every map feel unhinged.

• Confused 5