When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

7 hours ago, De Dominator.9834 said:

Was going to start a new discussion but this feels more fitting...

How would people feel if a the Tengu or another new race came in an expansion in the place of a new system/mechanics?

Every expansion so far has focused on the addition of new mechanics, elite specs and masteries across all of them, Gliding in HoT, Mounts in PoF, Fishing and Skiffs in EoD etc. But how would you feel if a future expansion added a new race instead?

As much as I would love a new race, namely Tengu, it seems to me that such a large and expansive addition could only be made as part of an Expansion and would have to come at the cost of another additions and personally I worry that would limit the amount of new content available at end game, while it would be fun to get and play a new race once you finish the racial personal story and join an Order any new unique stuff from it would more or less be done, and while there would obviously still be new maps, events, raids etc. a lack of actual mechanics could hamper the amount of enjoyment to be had.

No, I'd definitely rather have a new mechanic than a new playable race.  New mechanics can be used by all my characters, while at best the addition of Tengu would, for me, only be a single character deal.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, De Dominator.9834 said:

Was going to start a new discussion but this feels more fitting...

How would people feel if a the Tengu or another new race came in an expansion in the place of a new system/mechanics?

Every expansion so far has focused on the addition of new mechanics, elite specs and masteries across all of them, Gliding in HoT, Mounts in PoF, Fishing and Skiffs in EoD etc. But how would you feel if a future expansion added a new race instead?

It really depends on the value I get from the expansion based on OTHER things in it. I mean, that assessment isn't any different than other expansions. Other expansions have had things in them I wasn't interested in either; it still bought them. I HATE the idea a new playable race would be 'subsidized' by packaging it with other desirable expansion content and I don't doubt people would resent that. 

I'm only against this idea because it's a low-value proposition. If Anet wants to incorporate a new playable race FOR FREE, they can go for it. I think it's  stupid idea but considering how unlikely people are going to be willing to pay for it or how resentful they would be if it was packaged in a expansion, I think it's the only option they have. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

I have recently thought that the best way new playable races could be introduced is alongside a sort of soft reset of the world.

Given the current longtime narrative of Guild Wars 2 is seemingly coming to an end, with End of Dragons implying we are going to defeat the final Elder Dragon and put a close to that storyline, and given they have said that this wont be the end of GW2 and the game will see future releases, there will be a need for a large scale central storyline for future content and expansions, would be a sort of new beginning, if this came with a large scale change to the current open world maps, and based of how Guild Wars 2 maps work (this is my assumption and wishful thinking, I may be entirely wrong and this is not possible) it could be possible to create new instances of every open world map only accessible to people who have completed the original Guild Wars 2 content, could see changes like Orr being restored, less Elder Dragon influence etc. and new races could come in here with players having the option to start new characters of the new races in this new instance of the world. Would basically divide all of Tyria into separate pre-EoD and post-EoD open worlds. Now realistically thats probably way to large scale, they would have to introduce ALOT of new content to these new versions of the core Tyria maps in order to encourage players to re-explore them, and I imagine it would divide the player base way too much. But, focusing purely on my wishful thinking, I imagine that would be the best way to implement new races as you could create new characters and start over in this semi-new open-world, have new stories revolving around whatever the new overarching plot is etc.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Soft reset?  Anything that divides the player base is a bad idea, IMO.

Yeah I mention that. I was basically just positing that the scenario I described is the only one I could imagine were new races could be implemented seamlessly and without the issue/with the playerbase supporting it.

Could also take the same logic and basically just apply it to a hypothetical Guild Wars 3 and having new races be implemented in that. But I doubt we will ever get a Guild Wars 3. But yeah, it was less an actual suggestion and just hypothetical.

• Like 1

This is one of the few suggestions that actually does warrant the argument, “If they were going to, they would have by now.”

Implementing a new race takes more and more labor the older the game gets, because with every LW chapter and expansion there is more voice acting that would need to be done, more animations that would have to be created, and more armor skins that would need to be adapted.

As the game goes on it simply costs more to add a new race, but the possible return on that investment (whatever it might be) doesn’t appreciably increase.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would play GW2 Classic.  Would love to see Scarlet again.  Maybe the server starts out with original recipe and then at a certain age HoT gets added, then PoF gets added.  If you start a new character on the classic play mode you start in the newest server that is plain vanilla GW2 and each server evolves on a schedule.  Maybe you can join any server to join the story at the given point in time.

Tengu don't have to wear other racial armor, no need to make a million armor copies for them.  No one else can wear Tengu armor and Tengu can't wear your armor.  Tengu need Tengu armor.  We already have the concept of racial armors.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/5/2021 at 4:06 AM, Dawanarth.4601 said:

Would a reset work like WoW Vanilla ? Because appart from nostalgia there is pretty much no point to going for it

Honestly, if there was a reset and I was Anet, I would be taking OUT races, not putting more in. Just way too much headache to deal with for so little benefit. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Nol Fran Shee.1285 said:

No one else can wear Tengu armor and Tengu can't wear your armor. 

I love the idea that players would be happy rolling a Tengu character, only to discover (as variously proposed) the character has no personal story and can only wear one set of armour (so presumably locked out of legendary armour).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

I love the idea that players would be happy rolling a Tengu character, only to discover (as variously proposed) the character has no personal story and can only wear one set of armour (so presumably locked out of legendary armour).

well the personal story isn't the current selling point of GW2. I don't mind if the Tengus start at level 80.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Tengu yes over the year this has been a hot topic  some wer sad when the Charr wone out but have not given up hope one day Tengu will rule the game that is  just after  Arena net  fixes the mistake  of getting rid of the monk class  i know for one ill make the best Tengu healer in the game

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Animando.7956 said:

well the personal story isn't the current selling point of GW2. I don't mind if the Tengus start at level 80.

Yeah, the personal story is a non issue. Devs have shown in the past that they're ok with cutting corner if it makes sense (like with newer legendary weapons having no collection attached to them). I don't see why a personal story would be mandatory.

That said, I would find that cool if Tengu had a separate mission from the Dominion of Winds or in Cantha. Not all races have to start in Tyria or go through the same path as core game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3