Irrelevant Hot Take

ywhl.8592

1 hour ago, Excursion.9752 said:

Everyone acts as if people are lining up to steal names. They are not. But I guess having thousands of dead accounts lock names is a good thing. Everyone is tilted because they can't possibly imagine someone else using their name and the only reason that is, is because anet decided to make it that way. If they had decided to go the other direction people would not care at all about this topic. People hate change is what it boils down to.

(Emphasis markup mine)

Might I suggest that you take a look at my post earlier in the thread regarding determining the ethics of taking a name used by another player, versus not being allowed to? You are making an ethical assertion that taking a name that is in use should not be considered "theft", which means you bear the burden of proof. For this to be anything other than an unfounded opinion, you need to provide convincing reasons supporting that assertion (i.e. "possession is not ownership", "EULA", etc. and not something like "because I say so"). My previous post gives some framework for considering those reasons from an ethics perspective.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

(Emphasis markup mine)

Might I suggest that you take a look at my post earlier in the thread regarding determining the ethics of taking a name used by another player, versus not being allowed to? You are making an ethical assertion that taking a name that is in use should not be considered "theft", which means you bear the burden of proof. For this to be anything other than an unfounded opinion, you need to provide convincing reasons supporting that assertion (i.e. "possession is not ownership", "EULA", etc. and not something like "because I say so"). My previous post gives some framework for considering those reasons from an ethics perspective.  

I understand the way it is. But anet has the power to make changes if they see fit. When we accepted the agreement to play the game you pretty much gave them the right to most anything they want like give names away or change how names are handled.

My wife hasn't played for four years. She logged on again for the first time since then because of the elite spec beta. I'm glad she didn't have to rename all of her characters.

I kind of like that this game's policy has lead me to more interesting names because the obvious ones were already taken.

And special characters are your friend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Source for the bolded please.

So? Inactive is different from dead, and you don't have a way of quantifying one from the other. I took a 2 year break once, is that a dead account? I'm sorry someone couldn't get the name "Gandalf the Grey". There are infinitely more names to come up with, and a lot of effort is not needed with fantasy name generators existing and the like. 

Again, I really fail to see an actual problem here aside from "QQ someone got the name I want". 

Same source, https://mmo-population.com/r/guildwars2

There's varying tiers naturally, active, inactive, very inactive, dead etc.
Plenty of players can be inactive at any time but it's completely unrealistic to think that a significant majority of those accounts are not dead, basically just one timers who tried the game for a short while and moved on.. this is a very natural thing for all games not just MMO's.
Hell most of my RL friends who have played Gw2 have no intention of ever playing it again for various reasons, while only a handful of them plan to come back someday or actively play now.

It's pointless making assumptions like that too that everyone wants some silly, no effort popculture reference for a name.
As it's been stated over and over by most who are pro changing how naming works in Gw2 the biggest issues specifically come from lore fitting single names on the Sylvari and Asuran races.
And no, using "titles" etc is not a solution either, a lot of people can't stand having titles in their character names as a cop out, and I speak as one of them.

The problem is not so much that "someone has a name I want" it's that there is no reason what so ever for such a pointless restriction to exist anymore.
It's a hinderance and a big inconvenience for a lot of players who don't want to settle for some second rate name.

• Confused 2

49 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

The problem is not so much that "someone has a name I want" it's that there is no reason what so ever for such a pointless restriction to exist anymore.
It's a hinderance and a big inconvenience for a lot of players who don't want to settle for some second rate name.

In your opinion.  I'd wager it is a far smaller inconvenience for a smaller number of players than you may believe.  /shrug

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

https://mmo-population.com/r/guildwars2

I’d have to wonder about the accuracy of numbers derived from “online sentiment”

Exactly.  From what I understand of those MMO population sites it is based on guesstimates and in my opinion just to get views and clicks.   So no real numbers.  To the best of my knowledge Anet has not provided actual user numbers for many years.   So anyone citing those websites is not providing real data.

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892

So I just made a human key-runner, and named her with the usual name I have for human females (that I've been using off-and-on for months now, just remaking the character over and over): Elena Anderson. And...unavailable. It's been a few months since I remade the character, so in that time somebody's snatched up the name.

My immediate reaction was disappointment (one day when I have enough character slots I wanted her as a permanent character for RP)...followed in short order by "Okay, cool - I'll tweak the spelling." And that worked. Elena Andersen is now running about Queensdale without a care in the world...well, beyond avoiding fifteen kazillion bandits hiding behind every bush, rock, and tree.

If the name is still taken next time I try...maybe her name will be Elina, or Elinor, or any variation of those names. Or I'll put a tiny accent mark over one of the letters. For instance, once I wanted Lorcán Of Night for a sylvari name...which turned out to be taken. Lorcán Of Níght, however, was free, and that remains the character's name to this day. The second accent mark over the i in Night is practically unnoticeable.

My point is, having a name be taken is not the be-all end-all, and certainly doesn't have to impact your enjoyment of this game that much. Just don't be dead set on *THAT* particular name with no alterations whatsoever. Be flexible, and be creative. You may come up with a variation that you like even better than the original.

I don't see what the big fuss is about regarding this "issue" since I've never had trouble naming my toons. Usually takes me about a week to come up with few names cause I want to research the words and then wait a while to see what name I prefer. If that one is taken, which is very rare, then I use another on the list. Was bit surprised to see my lastest kinda unoriginal toon name 'Lilla Lullaby' wasn't taken.

That said, I would not mind a mail notification system, eg. after period of inactivity telling you to either log in to character select screen or log in to your account management and click a button to keep your names.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Excursion.9752 said:

I did not neglect or overlook any of these. I have and know people who meet all this criteria minus the homelessness. The fact of the matter is if real life is kicking your butt or if you have made choices in your life that takes you away from contact with society for greater than three months well maybe that is more important than a video game...

I'm sure all these people are much happier now, realising that you understand their needs and life choices.

I'm also certain that they're even happier knowing that Anet understands these things, too, and has established a character naming policy around the principle that, whatever life may throw at you, you can return to this game without fear of losing anything.

Everyone acts as if people are lining up to steal names. They are not.

Some people are covetous of others' ownership of the names they want, and those people are advocating for a change in the character naming policy in order take possession of those names. Whether or not you consider that to be theft, or theft by proxy, or not, it's still ugly.

But I guess having thousands of dead accounts lock names is a good thing.

You have absolutely no possible way, at all, to know how many accounts are 'dead' (or simply awaiting the happy return of their player), nor whether those accounts encompass character names that other people covet.

Everyone is tilted because they can't possibly imagine someone else using their name and the only reason that is, is because anet decided to make it that way. If they had decided to go the other direction people would not care at all about this topic. People hate change is what it boils down to.

It would seem that those people who covet the names of others are as tilted, or even more tilted, by the fact that those names will never be theirs. The rest of us are simply glad that is the case.

I have never had trouble creating a name in this game so my post here are purely out of principle. I have played games that you lose way more than a name if you didn't log in so this to me seems pretty miniscule.

Nor me.

But unlike you I strongly support the principle that currently guides this game's character naming policy.

And the fact that neither of us has ever had a problem creating a name in this game suggests to me that the problem lies with others lack of creativity.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

In your opinion.  I'd wager it is a far smaller inconvenience for a smaller number of players than you may believe.  /shrug

I've made no claim's of it being a majority 😛 
But it's enough to warrant discussion as evident by how many times the subject comes up and continues to come up over the years.

Plus there's a financial element involved for Anet.
More freedom of naming promotes more purchase of character slots.

I've 23 in use atm with a spare one I've no intention of using anytime soon because I simply cannot be bothered to faff around with names anymore, specially on Sylvari and Asura.
I certainly won't be spending any more money on more character slots in future either.
Not because I don't want more characters, but because it's more trouble than it's worth trying to name them all.
Especially now with build templates in the game.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I've made no claim's of it being a majority 😛 
But it's enough to warrant discussion as evident by how many times the subject comes up and continues to come up over the years.

Have you read those threads?  Also, the discussion in this one is no different than in the previous ones.  That doesn't necessarily mean that the topic is warranted just because of that.

9 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Plus there's a financial element involved for Anet.
More freedom of naming promotes more purchase of character slots.

How can you make that assumption?  Based on what?

9 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I've 23 in use atm with a spare one I've no intention of using anytime soon because I simply cannot be bothered to faff around with names anymore, specially on Sylvari and Asura.
I certainly won't be spending any more money on more character slots in future either.
Not because I don't want more characters, but because it's more trouble than it's worth trying to name them all.
Especially now with build templates in the game.

This seems more of a "you" issue.  There are many players with many more characters than 23 who don't have problems coming up with names.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Excursion.9752 said:

Everyone acts as if people are lining up to steal names.

Because that's precisely what they want to do. They wanted to use a specific name, got told it's already used, assumed it is being held by a dead account, and went to forum complaining about it. Because they think that if it got implemented, they would have surely obtained that name for themselves.

That's exactly what all those threads are about.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Because that's precisely what they want to do. They wanted to use a specific name, got told it's already used, assumed it is being held by a dead account, and went to forum complaining about it. Because they think that if it got implemented, they would have surely obtained that name for themselves.

That's exactly what all those threads are about.

Reminds me of the ending of the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie:

Rocket: Question. What if I see something that I want to take, and it belongs to someone else?

Corpsman Dey: Well you will be arrested.

Rocket: But what if I want it more than the person who has it?

Corpsman Dey: Still illegal.

Rocket: That doesn't follow. No, I want it more, sir. Do you understand?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

50 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Reminds me of the ending of the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie:

Rocket: Question. What if I see something that I want to take, and it belongs to someone else?

Corpsman Dey: Well you will be arrested.

Rocket: But what if I want it more than the person who has it?

Corpsman Dey: Still illegal.

Rocket: That doesn't follow. No, I want it more, sir. Do you understand?

Me too.

Honestly if it was Rocket I'd let him have it.

Firstly racoons are adorable and I'd have a hard time saying no. Secondly he's probably got at least a dozen ways to kill me at a moment's notice and probably destroy a significant chunk of the planet in the process.

• Like 1

Nope.

I have 71 characters and I've maybe had an issue with coming up with names for ~4 of them that were already taken.

The simple solution is to be more creative with your names. You aren't entitled to a name someone else already has. It's first in best dressed. End of story.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Here's what ArenaNet says regarding 'population':

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

(Tab number 4)

Perhaps, it will change after End of Dragons...perhaps, not. 

That is the same number (11 million) from when they released account numbers in 2017. 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-path-to-the-desert-in-numbers/

So I think they just kind of did a copy and paste since today they made an new one and it says 16 million:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/celebrating-nine-years-of-guild-wars-2/

Maybe they should update that tab on the page you linked to reflect the current numbers.  🙂

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892

9 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Have you read those threads?  Also, the discussion in this one is no different than in the previous ones.  That doesn't necessarily mean that the topic is warranted just because of that.

How can you make that assumption?  Based on what?

This seems more of a "you" issue.  There are many players with many more characters than 23 who don't have problems coming up with names.

Read em? i've probably been in most of them lol
It is different in the sense that we're not even talking about taking names from inactive accounts anymore which has almost always been the focus of these kinds of discussions in the past.

It's an easy assumption to make, one of the incentives to make new characters in the past was builds.
Gw2 has a mostly casual playerbase that for the most part don't carry a million sets of weapons and armours around so they can play one of a million different builds they have memorised.
Typically a lot of players had one build per character and stuck with it preferring instead to make new characters to run different builds on.
The build template system took away from that.
Removing the name restriction would entice some people to make new characters so that they can finally use the names they want most, or at the very least would entice them to buy a name change contract.
Either way that is at least some extra money in Anet's pocket. 

People on the against side can keep mocking this entire discussion as petty and disregard it down to moaning about "someone else has a name I like" but frankly it is very very easy to throw that back at them and disregard their arguments down to "nobody can have it, it's mine, how dare you try to take my specialness away"
It's so tiresome and it contributes nothing.