Poll: Should you be able to use existing accounts with the Steam version of Guild Wars 2?

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:This is not something ANet can do anything about. Steam won't let them. If they are on steam, this has to happen. All MMOs on steam have the same thing.

You'll have to explain; it's definitely allowed to have games on Steam that require or allow you to create an account for another service to play. Unless it's a new policy developers have to abide by to get a game on Steam, as there are many new and old games (such as the original Guild Wars and MapleStory) that do not have the same thing. New games that need other accounts include titles published by Microsoft, Ubisoft, and EA.

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:This is not something ANet can do anything about. Steam won't let them. If they are on steam, this has to happen. All MMOs on steam have the same thing.

not necessarily, SWTOR and PSO2 both mmos that were recently put up on steam, you can still use your existing account from another platform/non-steam. though not MMORPGs, Warframe and Path of Exile allows the same (linking/un-linking or simply logging in from steam with steam integration) or like Destiny 2 where you can cross-save between console and steam

@Ayrilana.1396 said:What benefit is there to going through Steam?

Among other less important community features: Ability to use Steam Wallet for Gem Store purchases, earn sellable Trading Cards and other rewards as effective rebates on all Gem Store purchases, more payment methods for Gem Store purchases, ability to sell items from other games for Steam Wallet to fund Gem Store purchases.

If I have a regular account why would I need to use Steam? (serious question)

I would imagine it is a money issue. Steam & NC Soft probably have agreements to sell stuff on their own platform... so you have to play/pay one or the other. But we can all play together, so no worries. Seems like a non-issue to me.

@Dante.1508 said:Yes we should and other mmorpgs had no issues, i can guarantee its to do with GEMS.. I have a feeling its because of other countries getting cheaper Gems on steam.. as money is already converted there, not forced to use USD.

FFXIV has the same set up. So some MMO's do have that problem.

Either all Steam or all FFXIV site, you can't mix or match or launch the game from any but the appropriate launcher.

Also probably best to allow it so the Steam review score of Gw2 doesn't tank, scaring away new players. Lots of people are going to give Guild Wars 2 negative reviews not only upon Steam release, but for a long time after, if they're not able to use their existing account. Best to avoid that. Most of the people I talked to in-game said they were looking forward to the Steam release, but they didn't read the part where existing accounts can't be used. They're gon' be mad!

@Ayrilana.1396 said:What benefit is there to going through Steam?

Numbers. Simply put, steam lists the amount of players online at any given time. Now this is a big deal. Why? Someone looks at the store page of Guild Wars 2, is interested but unsure so clicks on Community Hub. In the top right, it shows players playing right now. Using Ark as an example, right now there are 32k in game. Naturally your mind will go, oh so a nice amount of people are playing, I'll give it a go. Now imagine clicking that and seeing only 500 people in game. For an MMO, you will go oh....so not that many people to play with, I'll pass. Thing is, you don't know that that 500 is only a small margin and don't see the other 30k playing with original accounts.That's one of the benefits of Steam and steam integration of OG accounts. Like ESO on steam right now has 5k people playing and that whole reason is that people linked their already existing accounts to steam. If they hadn't allowed that, it would be much lower in my opinion.

Con of Steam:They want a bite of everything. There's a reason why games like Warframe will send you to their own website to buy their cash-shop currency. Because steam wants a piece of that pie. Steam wants a piece of the sale price for the game as well. See, even though ESO allows linking an existing account to steam to play, you still need to buy the steam version of the game as well, in essence, you'd pay for the game twice. Something that might not sit well with people.

I don't see any suggestion in the OP or this poll for gems to be available for purchase on steam, and not exclusively through the in-game store. If this was the case then a compulsory revenue cut for steam may be a valid point. Have I missed something? If the poll is only asking whether it would be good if the option to use steam was also available for existing players and not only new ones, then I think it would be nice to have this option for all the players if it is possible.

I think this is a good idea - it'd be easier to group up with friends on leading PC gaming platform. Same goes for better integration with GeForce NOW service. Easier to stream your gameplay etc. So there is plenty of consumer friendly features... Player base boost as a bonus.

I understand that the income is cut by 30%, but existing accounts already paid ANET 100% for all those years. It'd be very friendly of ANET to allow choosing the best platform for their players.Also there is nothing that prevents them of making marketing promotions, that keeping non-steam account gives them 100% income - this is a great place to provide additional gifts for keeping ANET-native account.

Overall I think that conversion of steam/anet-native account would be very welcome.