Am I the only one missing the old dialogue scenes? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Am I the only one missing the old dialogue scenes?

Am I? I mean I know they had their limitations, like talking to someone lieing in a bed, or not standing up, but still, to get a close up of our characters, with emotes and everything, it made them look more alive and cool, now we just stand there moving our mouths with a speech bubble :/

Comments

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

Not me. I was never a fan of the old cut scenes, and I'm glad they're gone. They might work in specific instances, but they definite pulled me out of the story.

• Amaranthe.3578Amaranthe.3578 Member ✭✭✭

Hell naw. What they are doing now is much better imo.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

I much prefer the way it's all handled in game now, so much so in fact that I really wish they would revisit the personal story and remove those cutscenes, instead allow the dialogue to play out in the open world like it normally does now.

• I like the way it is now. Although being able to skip more things would be nice.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Boysenberry.1869 said:
    I like the way it is now. Although being able to skip more things would be nice.

Being able to skip all dialogue.. I really dont want to listen to the same dialogue for the 5th or 6th time when doing achievements :/

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• notebene.3190notebene.3190 Member ✭✭✭✭

I miss them. What they do now is fine too, except for sound. With a 5.1 setup, they keep voices relative to this invisible microphone that’s a few feet in front of your face, and directional. If you look away from who’s talking, it falls off the center channel, which is realistic, but do you notice how they don’t really do that when you are watching TV or a movie? What people are saying is important. They need to force all story conversations in the center channel and crank it up a few notches.

In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

• IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would prefer them to what we have now. I never DC'd during those, but with the current long-winded dialogues at the end of a chapter, I DC frequently.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

I dont miss them, in fact, they’re one of the nails i dislike replaying core campaign.
    That static, dead, interaction
    And automatically hiding the headgear, when sometimes the headpiece is part of a character’s design.

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

They were pretty kitten imo, the only advantage was the ability to skip it.

• kurfu.5623kurfu.5623 Member ✭✭✭

I prefer the dialogue scenes that you could skip.

Sadly they'll probably stick with the "new" system from now on.

This is my signature. It is not very exciting.

• What we have now is pretty good in my book, even if you can't skip any dialogue. However, I really liked the old dialogue scenes because I could see my character and how they'd react.... And I thought it was kinda unique. (I sometimes replay dungeons for their dialogue scenes 😂 just for old times sake).

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

Being able to skip them was nice, but I appreciate more the immersion of running to an area where principal NPCs from the story are standing there, telling you the story, while other players are running past you doing their own thing.

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭

if they would make our characters use emotes in the new system I guess that would be better to me... but our characters feel so flat now, like just standing there arms to the side of the body doing a veyr unnatural dialogue...

• @notebene.3190 said:
    I miss them. What they do now is fine too, except for sound. With a 5.1 setup, they keep voices relative to this invisible microphone that’s a few feet in front of your face, and directional. If you look away from who’s talking, it falls off the center channel, which is realistic, but do you notice how they don’t really do that when you are watching TV or a movie? What people are saying is important. They need to force all story conversations in the center channel and crank it up a few notches.

Left-and-right forward, please, or at least send the bass range to the subwoofer. My 5.1 setup has a sort of "tinny" effect on the centre speaker in GW2, which might be because they aren't feeding the .1 (subwoofer) channel as well, so the bass frequencies are lost.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Mewcifer.5198Mewcifer.5198 Member ✭✭✭✭

Being able to skip them was a big plus. Although they didn't work well for anything beyond one on one conversations where the scenery didn't matter so much. I feel like they would still be nice to have for situations where your character is having a conversation with a single npc.

My list of suggestions for GW2
    Akkebi | Akkebyyon | Alister Kebi | Akkebi Revi | Akkebi Mememachine | Occultist Lulu | Shadow Stalker Lulu| Bonebreaker Lulu
    Max Masteries | 16k AP

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭

everyone wants to skip them I guess everyone has lots of alts XD i must be one of the few people to play 1 char in gw2 LOL

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think there's pros and cons to both.

The old style was good because you could see and hear everyone clearly and there was nothing else going on so you could concentrate on the dialogue, or alternatively you could skip it. But it was absolutely terrible for any kind of 'action' scene because all you saw was the characters standing there. Also because it looked like people reading lines to each other it tended to pull me out of the game and remind me I was listening to actors reading lines, which made any issues with the voice acting very noticeable.

The new one is much better for action scenes and in some cases pacing because you don't have to stop what you're doing for dialogue, but it can be really annoying if anyone is behind you, off to one side or too far in front because you won't be able to hear what they're saying and may not have time to read it because there's too much going on. More than once I've had to wait until a conversation and the related running/fighting/whatever is over and then stop everything to read what was said in the chat box because I couldn't follow it at the time, which is even worse for pulling me out of the game than watching characters recite lines.

My preference would be for them to use a mix of both, plus the animated cut scenes, based on what's appropriate for the scene. If nothing else is going on and/or it's better to see the characters close up then use the old style. If things need to happen during the conversation then use the new style, but bear in mind what you're expecting the player to do and try to make sure people we need to hear are going to be within range and in front of us.

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

• I liked them a lot, because being able to see my characters' faces as they talked and reacted made me feel a lot more connected to them.

But I think that the newer style gives the devs a lot more freedom of story-telling. It's hard sometimes to take in all that's going on without missing things, you have to pay attention to a lot and make sure to move to all the spots where dialog can be seen.

So I agee with Danikat that a mix of the two would be ideal. I doubt that will happen though.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@coso.9173 said:
    everyone wants to skip them I guess everyone has lots of alts XD i must be one of the few people to play 1 char in gw2 LOL

Has more to do with achievements i think. ecspecially the "dont get by X" ones, with no mechanic to just reset at that spot.

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• @Kaliwenda.3428 said:
    I liked them a lot, because being able to see my characters' faces as they talked and reacted made me feel a lot more connected to them.

Yeah, this. Guild Wars 2 has a bit of a smaller ratio of character size to effective play area than a lot of other games have, so I don't spend an awful lot of time really zooming in close and looking at my character, or other characters. The cutscenes were a good way around this.

The new style is fine, too, though.

• Durzlla.6295Durzlla.6295 Member ✭✭✭✭

Honestly for the most part I like how it is now, however, when it’s just a long section of talking, and no real walking around or action etc I prefer the old cutscenes.

"But my children sing to me. Listen. They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family. As their mother, I have to grant them their wish."

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Being able to skip them was nice, but I appreciate more the immersion of running to an area where principal NPCs from the story are standing there, telling you the story, while other players are running past you doing their own thing.

Meanwhile GW1 had both ...

• Edelweiss.4261Edelweiss.4261 Member ✭✭✭

Currently, I just alt-tab for a bit, look back, alt-tab again, and finally it is time to do things. I vastly preferred the old cutscenes. Not only could you skip the entire thing; you could skip forward past just the part you don't care about. Find a certain character annoying? Just hit next until they disappear. Instead, I find myself sitting around waiting on dialogue for waaaay too long.

• Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018

I actually enjoyed seeing my character in those cutscene things, although they could have been done better, I was kind of looking forward to them.
    Over all, I think the current presentation is better, but it's really what keeps me from pulling multiple characters through the story, as I really can't be bothered to sit there for lengthy unskipable dialoge parts which I have already seen.

"As you know, those who you once called friends have become enemies." ~Glint

• yes, I miss "old" dialogue cutscenes. The "proper" Old dialogue cutscenes from GW1 ;)

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

I prefer the old scenes as well, but I guess I'm in the minority.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

they are all horrible, impersonal and bland.
    the first one was a horrible system as if 2 stick figures had an interview, the second one just wanted to scratch my eyes out and the further they go the more i wish bioware made GW2.....

• I didn't mind the style of having people talking over a background, but I could not stand that there was only 2 characters at a time, regardless of how many people were in the conversation, and that there was no movement and scene compositions with a frame of reference for their positions and sizes, just 2 models on the screen and may not be talking to each other at all.

If the models could come from offscreen like when someone walks in the conversation, and if the models could be smaller and be positioned in the screen more freely, like in visual novels, I could have sanded it more.

• Aridon.8362Aridon.8362 Member ✭✭✭

I personally hated them. I found them to be pretty bland like old people and Tapioca pudding.

• Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

You don't need to see your character's face and body emote or do stuff that isn't mashing attack buttons. It's not like customization is important or anything.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

The emotes are nice though why can't we have access to them all whenever we want.

These cutscenes were such a load on the dev team that the work could have been used for meaningful content. This is why we now have a quick paced LW update schedule and none of these cut scenes.

• I miss the skippable dialogue. It's fine the first five times but I have 12 toons I put through story and I end up switching to Candy Crush while the dialogue plays because I just don't want hear Brahm whining any more or Joko speechifying -- let me kill him already. On the plus side I have a high Candy Crush level.

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm part of the minority(?) who doesn't care for the story at all, so as long as there's a skip option I'm good.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.