Working on Aurora and it is depressing, frustrating, and absolutely the opposite of fun.

Tarrek.7436

I have been trying to get the steps to the first achievement for this legendary complete, but I just keep running into parts that are just beyond frustrating. For example, the step that requires getting map currency from each of the zones. Ember Bay specifically has a severe lack of petrified stumps and just will not drop the petrified burl.

Many of these events require champion bosses and group events but there are no groups in the zones because they are not relevant (or everyone is running that mindless, stupid maze that is going on for far far far too long). I'd like to be able to catch up to the people who don't work for a living, but not everyone can dedicate all their time to doing content as soon as it comes out and now that it is dated I am just kittened. It is literally making me want to stop playing the game period. There has got to be a way to keep this stuff relevant. Make the map currency usable for other stuff. Add trick or treat bags to the venders in the zone for the map currency or as drops from events for example. I just wish everything wasn't locked behind such so specific requirements that force people into dead zones or to repeatedly farm currencies with abysmal drop rates.

I know this will not even be looked at or considered by devs, but I just need to vent my frustration at how much I am being forced to waste my time on things that should be considered before even being put into the game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 1

You get 250 map materials from each "Return to" Episode. Right now getting Aurora is far easier than it was a few months ago, same goes for Vision.

The map currencies are viable and used, Ascended trinkets, consumed for Unbound Magic, which can be used to buy Magic Warped Bundles, something that's way more valuable than Trick or Treat bags.

LWS3 maps are farm from dead, whenever I'm there I see people doing events, the only place where population could be a slight issue is Siren's Landing, on the Wyvern and similiar bosses.

If you find this being forced to waste your time then don't even look at Vision.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

You get 250 map materials from each "Return to" Episode. Right now getting Aurora is far easier than it was a few months ago, same goes for Vision.

The map currencies are viable and used, Ascended trinkets, consumed for Unbound Magic, which can be used to buy Magic Warped Bundles, something that's way more valuable than Trick or Treat bags.

LWS3 maps are farm from dead, whenever I'm there I see people doing events, the only place where population could be a slight issue is Siren's Landing, on the Wyvern and similiar bosses.

If you find this being forced to waste your time then don't even look at Vision.

Except I have Vision. It was easy (If not more expensive) compared to this. One step is taking days because of low drop rates and low population numbers.

I don't need the map currencies, I need the drops that are supposed to come from gathering nodes but do not. I need to complete map events that are not soloable. If there were players on the maps I would not have posted this because people would have been there, so don't act like its not a problem. Today I couldn't even get one of the stupid jade cannons in Lake Doric done without dying repeatedly and I STILL don't have the Petrified Burl from Ember Bay.

Also, I have completed all of the Season of the Dragon achievements so far.

Edited by Tarrek.7436
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Tarrek.7436 said:

I have been trying to get the steps to the first achievement for this legendary complete, but I just keep running into parts that are just beyond frustrating. For example, the step that requires getting map currency from each of the zones. Ember Bay specifically has a severe lack of petrified stumps and just will not drop the petrified burl.

Many of these events require champion bosses and group events but there are no groups in the zones because they are not relevant (or everyone is running that mindless, stupid maze that is going on for far far far too long). I'd like to be able to catch up to the people who don't work for a living, but not everyone can dedicate all their time to doing content as soon as it comes out and now that it is dated I am just kittened. It is literally making me want to stop playing the game period. There has got to be a way to keep this stuff relevant. Make the map currency usable for other stuff. Add trick or treat bags to the venders in the zone for the map currency or as drops from events for example. I just wish everything wasn't locked behind such so specific requirements that force people into dead zones or to repeatedly farm currencies with abysmal drop rates.

I know this will not even be looked at or considered by devs, but I just need to vent my frustration at how much I am being forced to waste my time on things that should be considered before even being put into the game.

31 minutes ago, Tarrek.7436 said:

Except I have Vision. It was easy (If not more expensive) compared to this. One step is taking days because of low drop rates and low population numbers.

I don't need the map currencies, I need the drops that are supposed to come from gathering nodes but do not. I need to complete map events that are not soloable. If there were players on the maps I would not have posted this because people would have been there, so don't act like its not a problem. Today I couldn't even get one of the stupid jade cannons in Lake Doric done without dying repeatedly and I STILL don't have the Petrified Burl from Ember Bay.

Also, I have completed all of the Season of the Dragon achievements so far.

I find the 2 bolded parts contradicting - on the one hand you say that you don't have time to complete content and on the other hand you say that you've already completed all the content.

Also, if you find the maps not as well populated as you want them, see if maybe there's more people when they're on the daily rotation - that should probably attract more people.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I STILL don't have the Petrified Burl from Ember Bay.

So what exactly is your complaint about? If it's just this one is easy, it's just a random drop that may take a couple of days of farming stumps if you are unlucky. I suspect it feels much "easier" to get if you just play the map occasionally and harvest any stump you come across, because you are bound to drop it eventually. It's one of those drops that feel horrible if you target farm for them directly, but will eventually be picked up without effort if you "just play" the map.

As for maps being dead, festivals, new content releases, and the like have the side effect of attracting a lot of players at least temporary, leading to a drop in people playing other parts of the game. It's only temporary. If you take your time you will get all of the group events in a couple of weeks of casual playing as long as you check the map and events whenever it suits you. As others said, living world dailies are a good place to start, as they do attract more players, and putting up an lfg to find people that are also interested in joining for those achievements might be another one.

A legendary isn't a recipe you start and finish in one go. It takes a while, and a substantial part of it is needing the patience to deal with the randomness of other players participating in group content. If things don't work your way today, try again tomorrow or next week, or even the week after. Maybe park a character at an especially stubborn event and check in occasionally to see if the conditions are in your favor. You'll get there eventually, but due to the nature of multiplayer games, you can't force it to happen at a  specific time of your choosing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

So much for not having a lot of time to play.

I don't need the map currencies, I need the drops that are supposed to come from gathering nodes but do not.

It's called RNG, all of us who finished Aurora went through that.

I need to complete map events that are not soloable. If there were players on the maps I would not have posted this because people would have been there, so don't act like its not a problem.

There's Mentor/Commander tag, there's chat, there's LFG, use it. I got Aurora before this Seasons of Dragons was even announced,. I'd be scared to imagine your complaints if you'd have to do it without Seasons of Dragons.

Today I couldn't even get one of the stupid jade cannons in Lake Doric done without dying repeatedly

That is not the game's fault.

If you are frustrated by not getting some items for the collection and getting killed by White Mantle and that is making you think of quitting the game then I'd say forget Aurora.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I suspect it feels much "easier" to get if you just play the map occasionally and harvest any stump you come across, because you are bound to drop it eventually.

So much this. I unlocked the collections a long time ago, so when I got round to focussing on them I had already completed many elements without any noticeable effort. The intent I'm sure was to encourage people to play in those maps, not come in and ninja a few drops or events. The only one I remember going after was the ghost drop in Bloodstone Fen.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zohane.7208 said:

I find the 2 bolded parts contradicting - on the one hand you say that you don't have time to complete content and on the other hand you say that you've already completed all the content.

Also, if you find the maps not as well populated as you want them, see if maybe there's more people when they're on the daily rotation - that should probably attract more people.

As far as time goes, not everyone can dedicate days of time when content is released to rush through it immediately. I took months to make vision and didn't have time to even start the season of the dragon stuff until the week of Return to Sandswept Isle. I was fortunate to have some free time to catch up.

54 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

So much for not having a lot of time to play.

Addressed above.

55 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

It's called RNG, all of us who finished Aurora went through that.

It's not an ok thing for some people to get something done immediately and others to take days or longer. "It's RNG" is never an appropriate response. I shouldn't have to explain this. Even legendary precursors have a way to craft since they just don't drop for some people.

57 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

There's Mentor/Commander tag, there's chat, there's LFG, use it. I got Aurora before this Seasons of Dragons was even announced,. I'd be scared to imagine your complaints if you'd have to do it without Seasons of Dragons.

None of this matters if there is no one on the map. There is no group to find in lfg if no one is there. Again, "I did it." just doesn't matter here. As time goes on, things need to be updated. It really wouldn't be hard to update old map venders with new rewards to incentivize going there beyond a very limited special event. When people are finished with the return to achievements, do they have a reason to go back? Not really. Heck, people still go to Bjora Marches all the time because the map currency is useful elsewhere. That's enough proof of concept right there to prove my point.

• Confused 9

No people to do the event?
Activate the people gather skill and summon players! (a.k.a commander mode) 😁

If you didn't unlock the commander tag yet, you are a beginner I guess, and the legendary items are not really an important thing to do

Edited by Zentao.6314
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

27 minutes ago, Tarrek.7436 said:

None of this matters if there is no one on the map.

That's an argument that gets brought up again and again, but no matter what point in time, I have yet to see any proof that this is actually true. So far there have always been people speaking up that have successfully and without stress been able to do these, at any time.

I suspect that the myth of "people need incentives to play this content" is based on the fact that many similar games make old content obsolete and funnel players into a very narrow set of "current" maps. This doesn't apply to GW2. One of the strong points of this game is that all maps anywhere are relevant to endgame players. Not all of them have the population to get anything done on demand, but they don't have to. There's still more than enough going on on any map in this game to allow you to finish these collections comfortably.

For reference, I don't enjoy playing on overcrowded maps, so I don't usually bother with the latest release, much less with playtime-intensive collections attached to them. As such, I haven't payed attention to either Aurora or Vision when they were released and the mad rush to "get things done" was going through those maps. I do however play all of GW2 occasionally, depending on what looks fun to me that day. By the time a friend asked me to join them doing those collections, a couple of months before the return event started, and long after those seasons had been introduced, I checked my achievement log and found that most of it was actually done, just by playing the game and joining in when I stumbled upon events. Some of what was left took a couple of play sessions (I had the misfortune of waiting a long time for some random drops in Bloodstone Fen), but nothing was even close to impossible, even at a time when people claimed that the game's pve population did nothing but farm Drizzlewood.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Tarrek.7436 said:

When people are finished with the return to achievements, do they have a reason to go back? Not really. Heck, people still go to Bjora Marches all the time because the map currency is useful elsewhere. That's enough proof of concept right there to prove my point.

You are still going on about LWS3 materials being useless and there is no reason to go back, seems like you only really decided to read a few parts of my first comment where I explained that people still go back to LWS3 maps for the materials to get Ascended Trinkets and to buy Magic Warped Packed/Bundles.

Just for you I decided to pay LWS3 maps a visit. Commander and Mentor tag in Bloodstone Fen. Commander tag in Ember Bay,, Commander tag in Bitterfrost, Commander in Lake Doric(NOT on leather farm), two Commander tags in Draconis Mons and a Commander and a mentor tag in Siren's Landing. 
So, maps are empty, right? If you'd spend the same amount of time working on Aurora - going through the nodes with multiple characters if needed - as you spend pointlessly complaining about random stuff that is completely bollocks you might have already gotten them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

I don't buy the "dead" map thing either. I think Anet is actually doing a great job of luring people into old maps through map currencies, Collections and Achievements, better then most MMO's I have played.  

Some events are sorta abandoned, like the one in Vabbi, but even that one you can get by pestering Map chat or trying to make a group yourself (and hopefully attracting someone with a tag).  

The rotating LW dailies is definitely a good way to get events done on a certain map; you may need to wait for a few days before it comes up.   As for core Tyria: a great way to get certain achievements there is to wait untill the "Daily <insert map> Event Completer" comes up for the map you need something done in. Last weeks I finally finished several Conservation of Magic achievements in Snowden Drifts, Blazeridge Steppes and Mount Maelstrom when that Daily came up.  Those events where you have to keep the Inquest from capturing Ley line coalescences are impossible to solo (for me) but when players are looking to do 4 events on that map for their daily you can be sure lots of people will join in. 🙂 

• Like 6

One of the things I like about GW2 vs. WoW is that maps are never dead. Quiet? Yes, sure. But not dead. Every day of the week there is an achievement category "Season 3 Daily" or somesuch. The featured map becomes more animated then, at least at peak hour. It certainly can take a few passages through the zone, but pretty much every event can gather enough players to complete it, especially if someone is willing to tag/mentor up for it and calls it out in map chat.

I will admit, gathering Petrified Wood in the wild is a slow grind. My rhetorical question would be "what did you do with the 250 Petrified Wood you got from Return to Ember Bay?" I know, it's none of my business.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I suspect it feels much "easier" to get if you just play the map occasionally and harvest any stump you come across, because you are bound to drop it eventually. It's one of those drops that feel horrible if you target farm for them directly, but will eventually be picked up without effort if you "just play" the map.

Yes and maybe no. After doing a lot of legendary collections it feels like there is some weird hidden system(probably an intentional side effect of something else) with the RNG items. It feels like if you don't get the drop on a particular character after a half a dozen attempts you should swap to a different character otherwise you'll be spending a long time not getting the item.  Unfortunately that hypothesis is also very hard to test(or at least expensive and tedious).

8 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I suspect that the myth of "people need incentives to play this content" is based on the fact that many similar games make old content obsolete and funnel players into a very narrow set of "current" maps.

I don't think that is a myth. I don't need to look very far, I just need to look at myself. Although that is not absolute since I will still do stuff just because from time to time.

On the other hand I do think people overestimate the amount of people required for various content. The vast majority of things can be tackled by 2 or 3 easily. With the exceptions being stuff like world bosses and various meta events.

• Like 1

I recently completed Aurora, without spending real money on it (just to be clear, that I farmed everything for it), and I already had the map currencies before the Return story missions were avaliable.

I could manage to complete it, even tho I basically only play few hours a week (working, household, children - just to reply to the part where OP talking about non-working players).

It was a long ordeal yes, but isn't one of the main things with legendary items is that they are hard to obtain (or they should be at least)?

For me, one of the reasons why I wanted to complete it was to have a goal I can work for till the new expansion is out.

Imo if you really want Aurora you have to take your time, but as others pointed out, this is not a 'must have' item, so if you can not enjoy the road till you finally get it, maybe you shouldn't do it. Spending your hard earned freetime with an activity you don't like is annoying without doubt.

• Like 5

On 10/15/2021 at 9:13 AM, Tarrek.7436 said:

There is a farming limit per day. Just do the repeatable hearts instead on all of your characters.

Honestly I think Aurora/Vision/Coalescence are the best journeys to legendary equipment. Gen 1 weapons can be straight up credit-carded, Gen 2 are at times immersion breaking for me (seriously, the curio crafting is ridiculous), and the competitive armors and trinkets, while very difficult to do so and made much speedier otherwise, can be crafter technically without a single player kill.

the three PvE trinkets, on the other hand, require patience, yes, but more importantly thorough work through the content they come from. There is grind, yes, (pre return to living world, with that the grind is almost completely eliminated), but it is far from excessive. Map explore, do hearts, do story, you could get the map currency in a week of each map playing casually. But also involving scavenger hunts, bounties, map puzzles, stuff requiring both individual and group efforts, it’s the way to do it, IMO. Tbh, that was probably my biggest gripe with Icebrood Saga, that it didn’t offer one. Would’ve made up for the disappointing finale