End of Dragons Elite Specialization Updates

Fire Attunement.9835

20 hours ago, Matoro.9708 said:

This is why I'm not preordering it.

Tbh if they randomly listed changes happening with no physical way to try it, it'd likely lead to problems. Players don't tend to act well towards changes they can't physically test as they generally assume the worst. 

I pre-ordered primarily because if you plan to keep playing the game it's gonna just be awkward not owning a expansion. 

• Like 3

My thoughts about mechanist and untamed (I played them the most in beta events).

Let’s start with Mechanist. I do not like the idea of AI golem so much, but ok that’s not the big deal. First problem it’s a heal skill, only one heal can affect mech others can not ¯\_()_/¯. Adding «Rocket Punch» to «Rocket Fist Prototype» was not good idea, because it forces you to use mace instead of other weapons.

I do not like visual look of mech (npc mech in guild chat videos were even better), this heavy shoulders and green tubes on back, movement animation for me it feels not good at all. It would be great if players could change appearance of mech and its color (maybe anet should add some skins?). I think firearms trait line should affect mech too (in condition damage variant), «Mech Arms: Single-Edge Cutters» feels underwhelming too low condi damage, anet should add some burning to it. In the end playing mechanist feels like you are a support for mech, mech do work and mechanist just waiting for reward.

Mechanist animation looks boring (the best animation I’ve seen - holosmith)

Untamed animation has a nice look. I really like it. But in terms of gameplay this spec lacks damage and sustain. Pets have very low defence and attack potential. I would like to see a full-fledged rework of pets, as well as nature magic trait line. Untamed trait line do not bring something new into the gameplay. Some skills have too long cast time

Edited by Sea Wolf.7368

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 5:16 PM, Loboling.5293 said:

Any updates? I'd love to know if Bladesworn got a ranged weapon finally. Off-hand melee pistol is alright, but pair it with a ranged main hand pistol. When will we be able to sheath the gunblade? I'd love to know this. Looking forward to an update!

Devs are laughing at you right now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Good for you that there are two other elite specs you can choose to play. 
I am really looking forward to play Harbinger and Virtuoso. 

Good for you ! Iam glad you enjoy them! Really do  , for me as ranger main i didnt like untame and did not found any real appiling of the other 8 new specs as well

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks Anet for keeping us up to date with the changes...🙃

There's still time to give us an update, I may buy it still if I like what I hear. Although I can also wait to see YouTube videos and see the changes that way, come release.

I'm glad the elite specs don't seem too poorly balanced, as a former PvP and wvw vet, but otherwise, I'd need a bit more to sell this expansion to me.

I hope there's an update for us to read up on, but I've pretty much given up hope on that now. I hope the expansion is a success, despite those of us not participating. I'll be in The Gandarean Fields...😂

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/9/2022 at 3:11 AM, GuriGashi.5617 said:

Can you post a list of elite spec changes before release?

That would be neat. But i doubt they would.  The specializations (catalysts, untamed, "willbender" for example) trigger quite a good amount of negative reactions.  I don't think they will risk any fan outrage just right before launch in case people find the changes not agreeable.  Don't hold our breath is what i'm saying.

Edited by quaniesan.8497

Warrior players have been telling us for years that they’d like to be something other than a banner warrior in groups! We agree, and we’re going to rework banners and spirits to fit our shared boon system and open new options for warrior and ranger players. Both professions will have access to new boon support roles using revamped banners, spirits, and related traits.

Can we finally have turrets rework? This problem exists more than 6 years. Engineer need some attention too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the issue with all the new specs, and class changes in general within the past couple of years. Diversity. No, more diversity doesn't automatically make it better, that's the problem, every class shouldn't be capable of support, damage, and all of the other roles, that ruins the idea of Class Fantasy and creates clunkier problems. 

Quick Note: Most of this is from the perspective of a PVP player, I used to PVE alot but I don't much anymore because I've lost interest, so this is more towards PVP. Feel free to add-on or correct me if you beg to differ on what I say

They're so focused on wanting to add "more diversity" that they've actually done the opposite and made a bigger issue in Class Fantasy. Alacrity was originally a Boon pertaining to Chronomancer, the reason for that was because it was Chronomancer's boon, specifically designed to be ITS boon, NOT anyone elses'. 

It's called Class Mechanics, now that Willbender and other classes are capable of it, it doesn't make Alacrity be unique or anything. Of course that is merely one example, but the one example should get the point acrossed.

Whoever designed these classes doesn't know how Class Fantasy works at all, and is more focused on some diversity kitten. Take Elementalist for example, back in Core Game, it was considered the most diverse class, because it was the Generalist, but the way it was executed made it work, because they didn't try to do it all in ONE spec. 

Elementalist could go Zerker Ranged, Support, Tanky, even use Short-Ranged (Daggers) and be what Elementalist was the most, a Generalist. It was THE Generalist Spec. And it worked, the problem was it was TOO strong, or TOO Weak. You can't do a class that can do a little bit of everything because Jack of All Trades are always like that. That's just the way it is. 

Then came HoT, where Celestial was gone, and everything became kinda bunkery, but it wasn't like Zerg Versus Zerg where everything was done in 2 seconds, which is what PoF did later on. The problem was, Elite Specs came out and while I love the idea, it was horribly executed. 

Elite Spec, specifically for Elementalist, caused Tempest to be a power-up...that was it. But at first it was only a power-up for Support & Condi damage. The builds for Zerker, or something else, wasn't as strong then, it was a Power-Up for few to specific roles rather than "Generally" Everything which is what Tempest is now. 

As of right now the only difference between Tempest and Weaver is their playstyle. Weaver is more offensive while Tempest is more defensive. 

To make things short, essentially they keep wanting everything to be "generalist", the problem is that if the spec is capable of filling every role then what makes that spec special? Elite Specs should do things that Core could not originally do.

I.E Tempest like it was originally meant to be, heavy support, or heavy condi. Weaver actually originally was pretty pure DPS, with low defensives, in PVE it still is, in PVP its kinda mixed. It's a power-condi hybrid, As far as Weaver goes, its pretty good.

But for the new ESpecs, Catalyst especially, it tries to do too much at once, some people have argued that its actually powerful, but when you compare it to other specs it's overall too weak. Part of the problem is because everything ZVZ in WVW and PVP now. Even PVE has a good portion Zerg V Zerg. But also because instead of making Catalyst focus on few roles, like ZERKER, which we haven't had a pure Zerker Ele that's really good since Core, or some kind of Tank, like it was DESCRIBED IN THE TRAILERS, You know a "Steady Presence in Combat", would be great.

Instead its more of a Generalist. Same goes with Willbender, it can support, power-condi dps, etc, kitten it can already do, instead of focusing on 1 - 2 roles. I.E a pure Condi or Pure Power Willbender would create a much cooler class fantasy than...doing things Guardian can already do.

TLDR: I had something originally written out to make this shorter, I forgot it and it became unarticulate. I'm not good at TLDRs, so...yeah have fun...

well gw2 base line was precisely to break that clasic fantasy... you could say limitations, i mean guardian is the tipical fantasy paladin, but then it becomes dh and hits like a truck or fb and burns everything, willbender is breaking the tipical slow guardian and making it faster and agresive, more active so to say.

as for boons, true alac was the uniqueness of chrono but now alacrene has orders from avobe, lorewhise having a comander or veteran giving orders is meant to increase efficiency so it giving alac makes sense, right now an elite shouldnt be unique because of boons, dunno in pvp but in pve it would be disastrous for the meta, instead chrono gives alac and quickness in its way and has his unique mechanics like continuum split, while rene has his( though rev is in fac inneed of a rework cof cof) and then willbender has his and so on, thus i think its well done, clases able to do the same thing in their unique way is what makes people try them and choose the one they like the most, not like " oh i wanna suport, but the only good suport in the game is a chrono that i dont like or im not skilled to use it  so im going to leave the game"

its true that being... jack of all trades in one elite, like willbender or vindi having bith power and condi is more of a bother, if both were just power id be better( mostly vindi because rev needs a pure power while willbender is a bit different)  but i can understand they wanna try it st least.

and last.. yeah elites right now are more different playstile to cores but... i think that only applies to pvp, maybe wvw and a couple on pve, if you go to raids, fractals etc youll see everyone running elites, maybe a core guardian around but meh, thing is cores really have a big diference in dmg, suport healing etc but un pvp modes its more difficult to see, because its pvp, i think you understand

I tried and tried and gave every chance to harbinger, I simply detest it,t it's clunky and a walking meme at this point. It's like the poor emo cousin of the engineer.

While I completely understand Anet is trying to "spread the love" they simply killed previous specs damage wise. I am all for business, revenue and so on, but this is the wrong way to do it - nerf older elites to sell a new expac.

Can't wait for tomorrow raid LFG where I might get kicked as scourge/reaper dps.

What happened to bring the player not the class? With all these nerfs (not referring only to necro) you are forcing people to play a specific class. And since you removed the 10 man boons, you are forcing people to play the highest dps class when raiding. 

I just realized something, I am complaining about the raid comps, when I am pretty sure Anet completely forgot that game mode: just like wvw and pvp and fractals (not  mentioning dungeons those are dead,  buried and commemorated at this point).

Come to think of it, was there any other reasons for these nerf despite pushing players to  buy the expac? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1