Constantly dying in game, it's very frustrating

Macabre.3829

I'm playing one of the supposedly tankier classes, guardian.
But even in open world killing normal monsters, pulling 3 or so means I could die if I'm not careful.
On world bosses I die in a second. I see nothing on the ground, move in to melee, boom insta-dead. What the actual kitten?
And I have been playing MMORPGs since 2005.

The only good thing about it is that people try to help and res you.

Why aren't classes more tankier considering tanks and healers in game don't exist?

The game mechanics are really killing the will to play the game. I don't like it. It's frustrating and when something becomes frustrating, I look elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, Macabre.3829 said:

But even in open world killing normal monsters, pulling 3 or so means I could die if I'm not careful.
On world bosses I die in a second. I see nothing on the ground, move in to melee, boom insta-dead. What the actual kitten?

Why aren't classes more tankier considering tanks and healers in game don't exist?

The game mechanics are really killing the will to play the game. I don't like it. It's frustrating and when something becomes frustrating, I look elsewhere.

Guardians are not Tanks. Yes they wear heavy armor, but they are not tanks. Also until you get Celestial Gear at level 80, try Power vitality toughness gear until you get Celestial Gear. As for leveling, try Sword and shield, or just Mace and Shield, plus Scepter. NOTE: to the players laughing, there's no need for it, this guy is obviously very new to the game and has not fleshed out how Guardians work in the overall scheme of things.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Macabre.3829 said:

This was happening to me constantly when I first started the game. It took me a while to find tanky classes with simple mechanics that I could play and actually stay alive with. One is a hammer/sword/sword revenant. The other was staff/greatsword minion master reaper. Four years later, those are still the most durable, easy to play classes for me.

5 minutes ago, Macabre.3829 said:

GW2 is about out-damaging your enemies, go Berserk or go home. Or go to another game.

Block, Aegis, Dodge and Blind are supposed to make up for the lack of tankiness.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

You are dying because no matter which class/build you play. Surviving depends much more on active skill usage( aoe blinds, CC, evading, blocking, dodging, boons and the list goes on.) to survive/mitigate damage than any other MMO out there. You cannot just stand there and "tank" the damage. No one can no matter how tanky they are. 

My suggestion is maybe trying to look up some info videos about how combat mechanics work in GW2. And maybe look at Metabattle. They have some pretty decent builds for every game mode, and usually explain how the rotation/gameplay works etc.

Best of luck with this game, and I really hope that you at some point will come to love the combat as much as I do. Since it is the best in the industry, but yeah the skill ceiling is also the highest. 🙂 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a newbie. I have ascended weapon on two characters and berserker gear. Yes it's probably why I'm dying so often because my hp is 12k, but it's still really stupid.
I just ALT + F4 a quest in the crater quest in season 3 where the anomaly kept kicking me into the falling debris and getting one shotted again.

Stupid kitten design.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9

49 minutes ago, Macabre.3829 said:

I just ALT + F4 a quest in the crater quest in season 3 where the anomaly kept kicking me into the falling debris and getting one shotted again.

Stupid kitten design.

I really have no idea what this means, but sounds like a story episode? Some of those do have specific mechanics to complete them. Some of the world bosses/events also have certain mechanics to them. Story chapters after the personal story do ratchet up the mechanics -- if that is what you are truly trying to complete.

I refer you to the wiki to look up whatever it is you are trying to complete.

Aren't you the same person that complained about weapon swapping the other day, because you felt the need to stick to an "optimized rotation"?

Gear and rotations aren't the only thing you need in this game to succeed. You really are on your own out there and need to understand what your skills do, how to mitigate damage (dodges, skills, effects from traits, sigils, and runes), and how to react to what situation.

Being aware of the fight you are in and reacting accordingly is much more important than sticking to a theoretical skill rotation. You need to know what skills to save or use in what fight. It's not as clear cut as other games where you have a specific role and can rely on other players bringing other roles to do the jobs you can't do yourself.

I'm playing a berserker dragonhunter as well as a viper firebrand myself, and have played them both through large parts of story (two different characters). Yes, they're both squishy, especially if I don't pay attention, but nowhere near the level you make it sound. I do however have the advantage of years of experience in this game on a variety of different classes.

If you want "tankier" classes, you need to use different equipment with defensive stats. You won't be able to put out maximum damage, but it'll still be enough damage to get through open world and personal story comfortably. Eventually you'll gain enough experience in this game's combat system that you end up back with glass cannon gear (berserker/viper), but for most players this experience doesn't come overnight. You need to go out there and earn it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Macabre.3829 said:

I'm not a newbie. I have ascended weapon on two characters and berserker gear. Yes it's probably why I'm dying so often because my hp is 12k, but it's still really stupid.

Stupid kitten design.

How can it be really stupid if other people playing the same classes aren't dying constantly.  Maybe you shouldn't have picked a guardian because you THOUGHT it was tanky. I never found a guardian tanky. You'd probably die less on a necro.  

Guardians have lower HP because guardians block a significant percentage of the attacks against them automatically.  If you're blocking one of of every four attacks it means you need less HP.  If you're just using zerker gear, at least you should try marauders. You'll do less damage but you'll have more HP.

But calling it a stupid game design when you've chosen a class you assume to be a tank is probably not going to get you very far. The game design is fine. You saw a class, decided it was a tank based on tropes from other games and entered with that thought process. Other classes are simply tankier.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I know the fight they're talking about, it's where you're in the story instance with Caithe at the bottom of the crater in Bloodstone Fen. In that fight, melee with a guardian makes you highly likely to go splat unless you're great with your blocks and dodges. Far easier to range the anomaly down with scepter/torch and the use of Sword of Justice. Due to low health, guardians often rely more on knowing an enemy's weakness and how to exploit them, along with well-timed use of blinds/blocks when dropping large combos.

I main a guardian, and one of the things I did early on after reaching lvl 80 was deliberately throw myself into various different groups of mobs. I learned quickly how to mitigate damage for just long enough to unload a combo, even on pure glass gear, at which point I'd dive out of middle and swap to scepter/torch or scepter/focus to kite out of the way and assess what was left of the enemy. I'd then pick off the most dangerous ones with ranged attacks while I waited for cooldowns, before swapping back to GS and pulling together/nuking the remainder. Other times you don't immediately open with the AoEs, as there's a very dangerous single enemy in there that might not get caught (Mordrem Snipers for example). Times like that, the ranged 1200 pull on DH's Spear of Justice is awesome. You yank the dangerous one out of the group, take it out with single target damage while the rest of the mobs are running over, and then you're back to the original route of balling them up/mitigating damage as you drop your AoE combo on them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

Aren't you the same person that complained about weapon swapping the other day, because you felt the need to stick to an "optimized rotation"?

Gear and rotations aren't the only thing you need in this game to succeed. You really are on your own out there and need to understand what your skills do, how to mitigate damage (dodges, skills, effects from traits, sigils, and runes), and how to react to what situation.

Being aware of the fight you are in and reacting accordingly is much more important than sticking to a theoretical skill rotation. You need to know what skills to save or use in what fight. It's not as clear cut as other games where you have a specific role and can rely on other players bringing other roles to do the jobs you can't do yourself.

I'm playing a berserker dragonhunter as well as a viper firebrand myself, and have played them both through large parts of story (two different characters). Yes, they're both squishy, especially if I don't pay attention, but nowhere near the level you make it sound. I do however have the advantage of years of experience in this game on a variety of different classes.

If you want "tankier" classes, you need to use different equipment with defensive stats. You won't be able to put out maximum damage, but it'll still be enough damage to get through open world and personal story comfortably. Eventually you'll gain enough experience in this game's combat system that you end up back with glass cannon gear (berserker/viper), but for most players this experience doesn't come overnight. You need to go out there and earn it.

LoL So no weapon swap, no dodge, pretty soon the game will have to play itself!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Macabre.3829 said:

Stupid kitten design.

I think you are missing the point of guardian. It is not an inherently tanky class. Guardian is only tanky if you understand its mechanics that heal you passively and when to use aegis/dodge. 

Killing 3 veterans at once on guardian in zerker gear is easy if you understand the mechanics but it is difficult if you do not.

I realize you are just venting, but if you are looking for a solution you should build more defensively. Marauder gear is 8k more life for a minimal dps loss. You could also go condi firebrand with celestial gear and feel like a god.

Edited by LuRkEr.9462
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Macabre.3829 said:

It is only considered a tankier class because it has a decent amount of access to defensive tools. A lot of it is also active defenses.

Stupid kitten design.

That sounds like you aren't bringing any stun break or stability.

Alternatively that entire encountered can be trivialized by making use of the gliding skills. It can't kick you if you never even get near the ground which is made very easy by the two nearby updrafts.

• Like 2

Stupid kitten design.

And here's your problem: you have pure damage, no defences armor, probably playing elementalist (judging from the hp), which is the most squishy proffesion, and you are suprised it's slightly harder than usual?

The game itself is already too easy. Don't give up and I believe you will get better! 

• Confused 5

>play with a zerk gear and only 12k HP
>fail to understand the class strenght (or in this case defense)

>dies and blame the game

Have you considered

-reading your skill and put skills that break stuns

-putting skills that grants stability and/or aegis

-using the heal that blocks all incoming attack

-using the dodge mechanic at the appropriate time

-have some range weapon and kite while waiting for your CD

-having some form of AOE cleave if you're going to pull for multiple foes

-have more HP (aka replace some zerk gear with marauder or straight up switch the entire gear for something more tanky)

-getting better at the game

• Like 8

Lot of variables you're not mentioning. Your experience could be affected by

- Being in a high-level zone as a low-level character.
- Having less-than-average gear, with no defensive bonuses to health or toughness.
- Pulling in too many mobs at the same time while still learning the game.

Also, it can very easy to miss stuff during world boss events if there are a lot of players sharing your foot space. Not every effect is marked by orange circles (i.e. Inquest Mark II Golem with its electrified floor tiles). Some of the scaled-up mobs hit very hard, too.

But, alas, I'd need more information to provide better feedback.

Edited by NorthernRedStar.3054
  • Like 2

While I don't "main" any certain class, Guardian is probably one of my favorites to play. I have roughly the same HP as you do and I do okay because I play defensively as a Guardian opposed to offensively . That being said, I think this might be helpful: Use sword or mace in main hand and focus or torch in the other. The reason I say focus is because it gives you a DoT attack and an attack that blocks 3 attack with Aegis, and if you have it with a specific trait (Communal Defense under the Valor trait line.) it covers an additional 5 people with Aegis as well. Again. I have a weird play style and specialize in giving out those heals. I suggest the sword and torch due to it giving you a distance closer and that sweet, sweet burn (and cleansing conditions). Aside from that, I really can't think of anything else. Good luck and try to stick with it. 

I can only give one one piece of advice that is playing full dps build which included gears and food/utility is a disaster.

Full dps build was meant to be used in group contents where you are not alone and friends to cover up your mistakes so you can stay alive, by accepting the full glass cannon playstyle while soloing you are bound to bring upon yourself a massive pressure of concentrate on dodging, staying alive while dealing damg and this is the trade off of going full dps you lose def in return, this basically happens in any other mmrpgs so it's nothing new.

I've seen so many guardian around having this problem same as yours, some will overcome it by practicing what others already mentiond in this thread, some will seek to solve the problem by switching gears and as a guard fan myself i cannot stress this enough how good celestial guard can be (except raid).

Many great players in this thread already gave you valuable advices on how to play the class so ima stay out this part but you should open up a little.

• Like 1