Acquiring Gift of Battle Is Hell

17 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

There is also the painting thing.

At least for EoD there is an alternative for the second time around.

Ah, yes. I've done the painting once, but have been forgetting about it. Probably something to do with where it is located relative to the rest. Thanks for the reminder.

I also did the Mori Village last night for the daily, and it's kinda comical how little of a sliver of a bar you get from repairing Perimeter Defenses there. At least there's the option of doing the items where you collect materials in the basket, but I've had some difficulty with losing the items or having the game not acknowledge I have all the items when I reach the cooking fire.

Edited by Gibson.4036

I haven't read the entire thread, but, in case it hasn't been spelled out for those wanting GoB changes, may I suggest storing up Potions of WvW Rewards obtained by doing WvW dailies?  You can complete the WvW Big Spender daily by buying a Badge of Tribute from the War Room vendor in the guild hall.  You can go to your home borderland and stand in the circle to claim one of the 5 ruins in the center of the map for the Master of Monuments daily.  Or you can go kill a veteran creature that spawns in specific locations on each of the maps for the Veteran Creature Killer daily - I personally prefer doing that on an opposing team's alpine borderland since your spawn is VERY close to a spawn for one of the veteran creatures.  Save up 80 of those potions, and you can instantly complete any reward track you want.  I've got a 1000 potions in my bank right now.  Because I took the time to stack them up doing my dailies, and, honestly, skipping a PvE daily or two that I didn't feel like doing, or that would have taken much longer to complete.

I understand some people really don't want to WvW or can't WvW.  But, this game has many, many things that take time to complete and require preparation.  Getting a GoB is just one more. 

• Thanks 1

Will i dont think a non wvw option should be available without having gotten the GoB through WvW a few times, it probably is a good idea to make the GoB acquirable through non WvW means after gotten a few through WvW when we should expect a person to have done it enough to form an opinion.

• Confused 2

27 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

Will i dont think a non wvw option should be available without having gotten the GoB through WvW a few times, it probably is a good idea to make the GoB acquirable through non WvW means after gotten a few through WvW when we should expect a person to have done it enough to form an opinion.

So again, if I’ve done one of the gift of explorations let’s say, 4 times, I never have to do it again either?

• Like 3

It's actually rather easy to get gift of battle. Yes, it can be annoying that it cannot be obtained like quick quick quick.  but doable in a day or two.  In fact I got a stack of 25...... and others known to got a full stack over the years.  If you not into spending alot of time in wvw, just do their quick daily and get the pots.  That will help towards the gift

46 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

They should improve WvW rewards so getting it is easier for everyone.

They have implied in the latest blog post that it is being worked on but we'll have see how long the wait will be. 😕

3 hours ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

So again, if I’ve done one of the gift of explorations let’s say, 4 times, I never have to do it again either?

I would suggest the following:

A vendor that accepts 2 GoEs for a GoB, and 2 GOBs for a GoE.

However, to buy the GoE with GoBs, you need to have done the corresponding map exploration at least once. So Core Tyria for Gen 1s,  HoT/PoF for Gen 2s, and EoD for Gen 3s.

For the GoB:

Every time you complete the gift of battle, you'll get a regular gift of battle and  will get a token to unlock the ability to trade GoEs  for a  lesser version of the Gift of Battle of your choice:

Gift of Battle (Gen 1)-- (only works with Gen 1 weapons )

Gift of Battle (Gen 2)-- ditto

Gift of Battle (Gen 3)-- ditto

To avoid confusion, this restriction will only apply to weapons. Any of these will work on armor/trinkets

Unlocking them all allows you to trade for the regular Gift of Battle

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Confused 4

I'm no big fan of WvW, but I don't find playing that game mode for a gift of battle to be that hard.

I go around mostly alone, killing npcs and dolyaks and flipping camps. I sometime win a 1 vs 1 battle against another player. Most of the time I loose. No big deal. I respawn and start again.

Except for the occasional battle against another players, everything else is quite similar to PVE.

Learn to read the map (what is happening and where), look around before engaging an NPC or taking a camp. It will help you keep out of trouble. And if you absolutely don't want to fight another player, run away or teleport back to safety before the engagement begin.

Edited by Blanche Neige.7241

4 hours ago, Blanche Neige.7241 said:

I'm no big fan of WvW, but I don't find playing that game mode for a gift of battle to be that hard.

I go around mostly alone, killing npcs and dolyaks and flipping camps. I sometime win a 1 vs 1 battle against another player. Most of the time I loose. No big deal. I respawn and start again.

Except for the occasional battle against another players, everything else is quite similar to PVE.

Learn to read the map (what is happening and where), look around before engaging an NPC or taking a camp. It will help you keep out of trouble. And if you absolutely don't want to fight another player, run away or teleport back to safety before the engagement begin.

I don't think anyone is complaining about it being hard. It's very unpleasant is the problem (to some, including me)

It's several hours of endlessly boring afk gameplay if you don't care about anything but GoB. I think it's fine to push people into WvW but doing it the 4th time it's what I enjoy the least. Where I do end up questioning several times what I'm doing and why I spend my time like this. Something I have very rarely while playing because I simply choose what I enjoy, having a good time doing it. Usually there's an enjoyable option. But if I wanna progress my character, unlocking the ability to swap builds easier then I need to play WvW. Not for long in the grand scheme of things but for a very unenjoyable week. 

And yes, I fully support alternative acquisition methods for GoE after acquiring it once. Make both alternative acquisition methods twice as long and I'm happy. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

there should be potentially another way yes. It becomes a question about when pushing people into WvW stops being useful to the game. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

They should improve WvW rewards so getting it is easier for everyone.

They have implied in the latest blog post that it is being worked on but we'll have see how long the wait will be. 😕

I am all for improving rewards in WvW, for the entire game for that matter, but GoB is very easy to get now. It is one of the few unique WvW rewards that is not difficult to get.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Erise.5614 said:

I don't think anyone is complaining about it being hard. It's very unpleasant is the problem (to some, including me)

It's several hours of endlessly boring afk gameplay if you don't care about anything but GoB. I think it's fine to push people into WvW but doing it the 4th time it's what I enjoy the least. Where I do end up questioning several times what I'm doing and why I spend my time like this. Something I have very rarely while playing because I simply choose what I enjoy, having a good time doing it. Usually there's an enjoyable option. But if I wanna progress my character, unlocking the ability to swap builds easier then I need to play WvW. Not for long in the grand scheme of things but for a very unenjoyable week. 

And yes, I fully support alternative acquisition methods for GoE after acquiring it once. Make both alternative acquisition methods twice as long and I'm happy. 

You can get that ability to swap builds via legendary gear without ever playing WvW though, so what is the real concern?

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

You can get that ability to swap builds via legendary gear without ever playing WvW though, so what is the real concern?

Crafting a legendary is cheaper if you already have at least some of the materials needed + crafting is more of a special moment than simply buying it, imo.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There are a very bitter minority who will make enough noise that Anet will change the game for them.  Map completion includes wvw? Gone.   Give them some more time, I'm sure Anet will capitulate.   Maybe they'll introduce a gem store item called the 'gimme that!"  pay 2400 gems and you get whatever item you otherwise don't want to put in the effort to get. 

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Certainly.  And if they want to WvW, they can go right ahead and do so.  Anet doesn't need to push players into content.  They'll gravitate toward it if the interest is there.

So what changed that you considered pushing in the beginning of the game oke, but not now?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I would suggest the following:

A vendor that accepts 2 GoEs for a GoB, and 2 GOBs for a GoE.

However, to buy the GoE with GoBs, you need to have done the corresponding map exploration at least once. So Core Tyria for Gen 1s,  HoT/PoF for Gen 2s, and EoD for Gen 3s.

For the GoB:

Every time you complete the gift of battle, you'll get a regular gift of battle and  will get a token to unlock the ability to trade GoEs  for a  lesser version of the Gift of Battle of your choice:

Gift of Battle (Gen 1)-- (only works with Gen 1 weapons )

Gift of Battle (Gen 2)-- ditto

Gift of Battle (Gen 3)-- ditto

To avoid confusion, this restriction will only apply to weapons. Any of these will work on armor/trinkets

Unlocking them all allows you to trade for the regular Gift of Battle

I like that idea. You could also do it this way.

1 GoE for 1 GoB (gen1)

1 Gift of Maguuma or Gift or Desert for 1 GoB (gen2)

1 Gift of whatever there is in EoD for 1 GoB (gen3)

To unlock this purchases you need to get GoB at least once through WvW.

The same you could exchange GoB for exploration gifts if you do the corresponding exploration at least once. Allthough I think 2 GoB for 1 GoE is a steal. Maybe just my perception because I have a ton of them.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

It fosters TP barons which is not great for the economy and poses a very different level of connection and short to mid term goals.

Girding pure gold is significantly less engaging than crafting a legendary yourself. Something I also care about.

Like. Ok. Let's look at this another way. Legendary items are supposed to be the extreme end game rewards. Something legendary to work towards. It should get you to see sides of the game you aren't as familiar with and be something to work towards one small piece after another.

I do think it's good that crafting legendary items in general requires WvW and PvP components. I even think there should be a component that can not be bought directly forcing PvP participation. But, the key purpose ought to be getting people to try out everything in a smooth way. If ANet pushes to hard or reinforces negative experience by requiring repetition you just end up with spite reactions if not disengagement. Which is bad for the game overall.

Just as other hypothetical examples. One could make an account bound item that is very fast to acquire (let's say ~2 hours). And make all other necessary materials tradable to drive up the gold rewards players in those modes receive and pull in more players who do like the mode but consider the rewards lacking. Something other than the PvP shards because that values is far too low. Even memory of battle is too cheap. I'm talking about 250-500g worth of items. So 5 - 10 times higher than Memory of Battle.

Or make it an account bound unlock. Once you've proven you've given it a fair chance of enjoying it through 8+ hours of gameplay allow a player to self decide what they enjoy doing. And just entirely opt out of the mode. Again, purchasing it at high prices or doing something significantly higher effort elsewhere. 

These aren't the people making WvW fun. These are people like me flagging camps back and forth. Deliberately ignoring enemies because it means more consistent, easy reflagging and easier participation.

Is that really what you want to defend, what you want to encourage for your game mode? What you want to see more of?

Edited by Erise.5614
  • Confused 2

On 3/22/2022 at 6:11 PM, Caliboom.3218 said:

Can't have another way to obtain the GoB, nope, gotta go through a gamemode you dislike to obtain it, no alternatives allowed, even if they take longer, after all, how else are WvW players supposed to get easy kills? Gotta farm PvE players going for the GoB, obviously!

If PvE players want another way to get a GoB, then GoE also have to recieve the same treatment.