Guild Wars 2 Ruined My Marriage...

Wow. That is a really powerful story. Thank you for sharing that with us. GW2 has been a saving grace for me as well, since I also went through a very dark period about a year after launch, but not to the extent you have. I'm happy that you're happy now with someone who truly loves you and with your kids. I've seen relationships where one half suddenly pulls a 180 and completely changes. I understand the desire to hold on, to try and make it work. I have similar ideas about relationships. You don't leave when it gets hard but you try to work it out, together. And it's natural to look to yourself to find out what's wrong and try to fix it. But marriage is a 2-way street. It doesn't and never will work if only one half puts in the work. Vows aren't meant to be broken, but you've taken vows together. If he breaks them left and right, that absolves you from holding on to yours. You're either both in it or neither of you are. There really is no middle ground in a relationship when it comes to this. It's either together or not at all. I had to learn this lesson too when I was young, though luckily not the hard way like you have.

I'm glad you're still here, enjoying the game with all of us. All the best to you and yours!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aaricia.9758 said:

turns out I'm not the one shooting blanks

Got a good belly laugh out of that line!

Help can come from the strangest places and I'm glad you were able to remove yourself from a seriously bad situation. 

Its odd what we all put up with day to day and justify as it being okay or normal. Until the time someone or something actually crosses the line you never really knew you had. I am grateful that everything is going well for you and I am saddened that you had to go through that for so long. Hopefully those who need your message, receive it well, and help them make those hard decisions that will change their situation for the better asap.

Thanks for sharing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• ArenaNet Staff

@Aaricia.9758, thank you for posting your story here. I'm sorry you went through so much, but happy to hear you are thriving now. 

And thank you for letting us be part of your story. There aren't good words to really express how much that means, but it's wonderful and humbling to hear. Thank you again. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for sharing.  It's unfortunate that there are people in the world who are capable of treating someone the way you were treated.  It's good to hear you broke free!

Going forward, please remember that in the midst of adversity, you found the strength to pull yourself through.  If times get tough again for any reason, remember that strength.  It will serve you well.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Aaricia.9758 said:

By August 25th, 2012, when Guild Wars 2 released, I was single and back home surrounded by my friends, family, and running through Tyria with my guildmates.

@Aaricia.9758 that sentence was epic to read after what you had endured.  Ultimately you had the inner strength, resilience and resolve to get out of  the awful situation you were in, really must have been no easy feat I can't possibly imagine how difficult it felt with or without Gw2 friends. 

But I really like your story and appreciate your time in sharing it with the Community: For me it sums up in a nutshell what is often not spoken about that much; many of us just take for granted and that's Community Appreciation.  Everything especially, on forum tends to be very much directed at/towards/about Anet, but as players we are the ones playing alongside each other, against each other - and without each other Gw2 would not exist as it does: Imagine playing Gw2 as a solo-player offline game ?

Gw2 Community is the only reason I bought EoD. Period.  

Edited by Greg.7086
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't really have much to add that others haven't already said, but thank you for sharing your story. It was wonderful and inspirational to read. :) I'm glad that you're in a much better place now, and I hope that you and your family (both organic and digital) will have many more great and exciting adventures in Tyria and elsewhere!

• Thanks 1

I went through almost the exact same situation some years ago. I won't ask why you didn't leave, i'll ask why he didn't treat you decently. Men like that are malignant narcissists but when we're young and desperate to please, we don't recognize that. I'm so glad you're now in a healthy, loving relationship! (Met my hubby in a game, not GW2, but i always felt they are an often unrecognized portal to hope and support that most people disregard) Best of luck and much happiness to you in the future! 

• Like 3

One of my wife's friends is going through something similar - she broke up with him, but he is the father of her two children. He is a useless self loving mother's boy who can do nothing wrong according to his coddling Mum. Yet he has been cheating for years, before they even got married as it turns out. He is also the worst father I have ever seen. Truly a pathetic man, who can't even keep his own newborn from crying. 

I am glad you found someone better OP, and that you escaped your awful past relationship.

12 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

I am glad you moved on but i really don't understand why women deal with nut jobs like that..

Because it doesn't start as toxic. It starts as a whirlwind of fantastically falling in love. Deeply in love.

Bad people lull good people into commitments, treat them well to start with, but then slowly chip away at their victims self esteem and self worth. It starts as small comments, ie about their victims appearance or fitness, then into bigger negative comments, ie about how they present themselves or act in public or with friends. Eventually it becomes a tumbling ball of negative comments from the abuser, to the person who is deeply in love with the person they think the abuser will turn into, always trying to "get better" or prove them wrong.

I suggest looking up things like narcissistic abuse, love-bombing and darvo. It really is horrific, and is exactly why domestic abuse now includes a whole host of other things beyond physical violence.

• Like 4

I want to thank everyone in this thread who responded with kindness, compassion, and understanding. It's a rare thing to find such warmness in an online community---especially on a place as open to the public as an online forum. Thank you for being an amazing community and showing that online gaming is so much more than just "strangers playing make-believe" (someone else's words, not mine). You're all fabulous. <3

• Like 4

9 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

It's not a woman thing, it's a person thing.  Men put up with nut jobs also.

I guess so.

9 hours ago, Aaricia.9758 said:

I want to thank everyone in this thread who responded with kindness, compassion, and understanding. It's a rare thing to find such warmness in an online community---especially on a place as open to the public as an online forum. Thank you for being an amazing community and showing that online gaming is so much more than just "strangers playing make-believe" (someone else's words, not mine). You're all fabulous. ❤️

I hope now you can enjoy life again and be a much happier person. Have a great life Aaricia. Not all fellas are like him as well.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Thanks 1