Top 100 in europe is around 1515 MMR

Its a side effect of the shrinking playerbase for PvP. The number of players in the game mode is becoming so low that they can barely fill the leaderboard even if they're on the lowest tiers.

Also, its a result of the huge skill gap in this game. Even though a ~1500 rating may seem low, a player managing that rating is still ten times as skilled as the majority of the population, and that skill gap only gets wider with each generation since new players aren't challenged in any way.

I'd wager at least 2/3rds of the playerbase don't even read their skill tooltips.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Funnily enough that makes PvP even less attractive. I remember when I last played PvP on a regular basis some years ago, I'd at least get some motivation out of being barely able to reach plat 1 and trying to hold my rank there for extra pips etc. If that is where the cream of the crop is playing right now, that means that incentive is simply not existing for the interested casual anymore (and I'd see myself as that regarding PvP).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Its a side effect of the shrinking playerbase for PvP. The number of players in the game mode is becoming so low that they can barely fill the leaderboard even if they're on the lowest tiers.

Also, its a result of the huge skill gap in this game. Even though a ~1500 rating may seem low, a player managing that rating is still ten times as skilled as the majority of the population, and that skill gap only gets wider with each generation since new players aren't challenged in any way.

I'd wager at least 2/3rds of the playerbase don't even read their skill tooltips.

That's because anyone with any non-trivial amount of skill has completely LEFT. All that's left are try-hard meta-rhymes-with-bores that exploit the system and unsuspecting new players.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

That numbers seem to be entirely deserved given the amount of effort ANet puts at PvP and WvW.

Don't worry, Riot is gestating a MMO: if has PvP (probably) you'll learn how a competitive game mode receives propper support.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Zoser.7245 said:

And are those top 100 different players? Because watching the population in tournaments... it could be 30 players and 60 alts even with the wintrading.  🙄

This is along the truth right here ^

You know what, I had written a much bigger post but then I edited it just to say: Ranked is aaaaall messed up and ruined for so many reasons at this point. They just need to delete Ranked and leave Unranked for the funzies and ATs for competitive.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

It might improve towards the end of the season. For the last few conquest seasons you were "top 250" if you had like 1525+, whereas through the season it was even lower.

Though yeah the same for top 100 is just tragic. They did some nerfs with last patch; too little too late but hey. At least they did some changes.

Edited by Hotride.2187

I bet at the end of the season top 100 will be 1650.

3 hours ago, Pati.2438 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 or Switch duo que with 5 man que so we are finaly able to play this gamemode with friends. A idk 10 min que uptime would be totaly fine to me at all xd

10 min for 5 ppl que? this is VERY optimistic.

Edited by Spellhunter.9675
  • Like 2

competition is just gone

even when you try to have fun you're thrown into really scuffed matches cuz ppl are q dodging each other for easier matches, even if the players are not particularly good you just can't carry cuz they duo and you basically got pray to have another decent player playing solo on your team, otherwise it's going to be 500-150

funny thing, my friend was streaming a core staff ele/spellbreaker duo and they won against a god of pvp duo playing EoD specs lol

on top of that if you g3+ you'll experience some "mysterious" DCs when you winnin by 150 pnts

and the general feeling of abandonment with patches and report system not working

there're 3 ways to get banned in pvp today, doing something really big and now the most important part is teapot joining the shitstorm to make anet actually look at it. You openly hack get caught on camera by somebody willing to open a ticket and send footage or being racist on chat.

Aside from that you can do anything being sure you won't get banned.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Khalisto.5780 said:

competition is just gone

even when you try to have fun you're thrown into really scuffed matches cuz ppl are q dodging each other for easier matches, even if the players are not particularly good you just can't carry cuz they duo and you basically got pray to have another decent player playing solo on your team, otherwise it's going to be 500-150

funny thing, my friend was streaming a core staff ele/spellbreaker duo and they won against a god of pvp duo playing EoD specs lol

on top of that if you g3+ you'll experience some "mysterious" DCs when you winnin by 150 pnts

and the general feeling of abandonment with patches and report system not working

there're 3 ways to get banned in pvp today, doing something really big and now the most important part is teapot joining the shitstorm to make anet actually look at it. You openly hack get caught on camera by somebody willing to open a ticket and send footage or being racist on chat.

Aside from that you can do anything being sure you won't get banned.

Care to share ur staff ele friends stream?

Yes. I think the matchmaking works that it has a bottom floor and a ceiling ... distributing the players so in the middle will be most (afaik around 1200 or so) ... and the higher you go the more rare it gets.

If there are less players in total ... the top 250 or 100 ... will obviously cover a bigger range. In the US with the lower amount of players it might even be worse then lol. And in the 2 vs. 2 previous mini season I think it was weird ... someone seemed to have "broken the system" ... the algorithm somehow seemed to have calculated something about 2100 for the top player. (For the top of the top tier that actually should end at 2100.)

I usually check until last of the 250 - most of the time this is  at 1400-1500 or so. Then top 100 more high.

Keep in mind though that the top list requires a certain amount of matches to be played ... to be listed! (Might be easier in the mini season than in the actual season. This number was at 30 already I think ... yesterday. Meaning you'd  havene eded to play 3-4 matches regularly since season start. Not everyone might want to do this.) Might sort itself out once the people finish their seasonal chests for the few golds ... then less playing (less driving the min required numbers up and others can catch up that are below that number).

Edited by Luthan.5236

June patch was so bad it took away my will to play, even unranked is far more than I can take.
As far as I'm concerned, I can't be bothered to do anything other than vibing in FFA; many other medium-to-high level players I've talked to feel exactly the same... for those that can still bear even just the FFA, that is, and that is a minority. Most of them got tfo this game and that's it.

He-who-shall-not-be-named was so vocal on Reddit advertising his garbage work, but went totally silent mode when patch notes came out and people realized the extent of just how bad his work was. We're talking about the guy who made his own personal goal to make everything as unfun as possible on every class he touched (Virtuoso, but also Mechanist, but also staff Mirage, but also the recent Chrono changes... and I suspect the mantra rework we've seen on mesmer and guardian came from him, it's just the style), which is the same thing he did back when he worked in ESO from what I've heard, and honestly the results are under everyone's eyes. Game turned into a cookie clicker lookalike; nothing wrong with that, but this is not what any designer worth his salt would do. There are people who need to be reassigned to a different role.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

You know what, I had written a much bigger post but then I edited it just to say: Ranked is aaaaall messed up and ruined for so many reasons at this point. They just need to delete Ranked and leave Unranked for the funzies and ATs for competitive.

The playerbase is nonexistant. It took several years of neglect&mismanagement to get us here, but we are definitely looking at a dead gamemode. Not a dying one, an actually dead one. I used to get really antagonostic towards anyone suggesting this, but at this point... just do it. Go nuts, rework everything, trash old formats and mechanics, and come out with something new.
It won't be nearly as good as conquest used to be for the first 7-8 years of this game, but it will be better than NOTHING, because people will actually play it. Just because its new. Even if it's sh*t.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Vancho.8750 said:

SHUSH, you are spilling trade secrets, it will get nerfed and how are people gona buy A.S.S.

Speaking for myself though I just finished setting up another account to both get A.S.S. and jade runestones for my personal consumption. I'll be making my 2nd gen3 leggy on Monday when I get my new A.S.S. shipment.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
off color humor removed.

1 hour ago, Bazsi.2734 said:

The playerbase is nonexistant. It took several years of neglect&mismanagement to get us here, but we are definitely looking at a dead gamemode. Not a dying one, an actually dead one. I used to get really antagonostic towards anyone suggesting this, but at this point... just do it. Go nuts, rework everything, trash old formats and mechanics, and come out with something new.
It won't be nearly as good as conquest used to be for the first 7-8 years of this game, but it will be better than NOTHING, because people will actually play it. Just because its new. Even if it's sh*t.

The only way this to happen is if massive shitstorm is created that Arenanet has to at least try something for PR reasons, it seems that is the only way to get them do anything that is not subpar Living world content, being reasonable and calm just gets swiped under the carpet as Old people grumbling.

"BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD PVP AND YOU HAD TO COUNT DODGES!!" 
"Yes, yes grandpa now take your meds."

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Let me tell ya. Obliterating ranked pvp from this world ALONE would bring people back. For one, they don't have to stress about some stupid ranking that does not mean jack in this game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1