All the best players play mechanist...

AliamRationem.5172

12 hours ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

Up to everything else would make people roll on everything way too easily.

Unless you mean improving AA damage while nerfing other damage abilities so bad players don't do 1/10 the DPS of top players (but 1/5) ?

I'm not saying that classes that are too powerful shouldn't have small nerfs like the engineer's gun which has not been increased but completely abused. But Anet has a hard time with nerves. We can see that some classes should not be touched too much and others are very badly done when they nerf. He should do it progressively but some classes need to be a little more up to par with the others.

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, Kuma.1503 said:

After watching my guild leader have a meltdown about the Golemancer Runes trolling us by punching the Orb on HT. I can safely say there is at least one (1) fight where Pmech is not optimal.

You would be better off with Scholar runes anyway. Even Ranger runes are a decent alternative to Golemancer.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 7:16 PM, Karagee.6830 said:

This game-destroying profession needs to go in the bin and the dev responsible needs to be assigned to something else. Like coffee duty or something.

And yet it was made by the guy who has 2k axe FB time. Its funny how that balance dev who balances FB and designed Mechanist wanted salt from the fans from the June 28th patch. That discord conversation was something else. 

the 2 most broken classes the game has ever seen, both balanced/designed by the same person. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

I think that for MOST years of the game it was 'risk v reward' - and then as balance teams came and went with priorities set elsewhere, designs where set mostly at the mere whims of whomever was paid to 'balance'.  There was a LOT of damage control being done by Grouch/ Josh afterwards which I'm certain resulted in a lot of behind-the-scenes conversations with the team. They know they dropped the ball - now they have to address it.

I firmly believe in a risk v reward attitude. A more challenging design/ build should have inherent design intent to assist it (for example, a squishy Ele should be doing more damage than a tankier, sturdier class). If not, and all benchmarks are designed to be equal, then all professions should be equal (damage, boon accessibility, health pool, armor pool, etc). 

Edited by pallas.8150
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, pallas.8150 said:

I firmly believe in a risk v reward attitude. A more challenging design/ build should have inherent design intent to assist it (for example, a squishy Ele should be doing more damage than a tankier, sturdier class). If not, and all benchmarks are designed to be equal, then all professions should be equal (damage, boon accessibility, health pool, armor pool, etc). 

Yes and no.  Yes to the idea of balancing based on sturdiness (and range, and general usefulness to a party), no to any balance even remotely related to benchmarks.
You can do 58k dps (exagerated numbers intended) on golem all you want and only be able to deal 23k in a real situation, because your perfect rotation is in tatters the instant you have to move or deal with mechanics. That's why Mech is so strong. Yes, Untamed is top dog on the benchmarks, but in a real fight, mech is reliable and that's what count. All mech players can reach the benchmarks easily, the rotation of the most difficult mech build is a joke compared to anything above. You'll sooner see a mech player reaching top dps than an untamed player. And the benchmarks put a 6-7k gap between them in favor of the untamed.

So... benchmarks are worth half-nothing. Useful to get a vague idea of the max potential of a build, in perfect circumstances, but nothing else. No sane person should balance based on benchmarks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hot take but I think Mechanist is a broken class BECAUSE it's one of the most well designed classes to a fault that shows the flaws/weaknesses of other classes and the game mechanics themselves. The way the Mech works and synergizes with signets/engi stuff is what Rangers have wanted in their pets forever. They try to nerf it but it rebounds easily for all modes/condi/power/support/heals. ANET must really gut it to nerf it to where some ppl want. Rifles made it worse because ranged > melee in any MMO usually but absurd levels with Mech. I enjoy Mech but it's not my fav/main class. Not every class should be high skill ceiling piano man playing n versatile BUT not to the point of why run anything else? Mech is only hated because of this, jealousy (Im jealous lol) and just idk but I personally think the design by itself is really great - but for GW2 it's not lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, EriskRedLemur.7153 said:

Hot take but I think Mechanist is a broken class BECAUSE it's one of the most well designed classes [...]

Hell no, it is the exact opposite of good design and as ranger main it isn't anywhere close to what i'd like my class to be.

Has nothing to do with "every class needs to be high skill piano gameplay", because there is a huge gap between that and the brainless abomination that mech can be.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 9/1/2022 at 2:30 PM, Kaladel.1670 said:

Yes and no.  Yes to the idea of balancing based on sturdiness (and range, and general usefulness to a party), no to any balance even remotely related to benchmarks.
You can do 58k dps (exagerated numbers intended) on golem all you want and only be able to deal 23k in a real situation, because your perfect rotation is in tatters the instant you have to move or deal with mechanics. That's why Mech is so strong. Yes, Untamed is top dog on the benchmarks, but in a real fight, mech is reliable and that's what count. All mech players can reach the benchmarks easily, the rotation of the most difficult mech build is a joke compared to anything above. You'll sooner see a mech player reaching top dps than an untamed player. And the benchmarks put a 6-7k gap between them in favor of the untamed.

So... benchmarks are worth half-nothing. Useful to get a vague idea of the max potential of a build, in perfect circumstances, but nothing else. No sane person should balance based on benchmarks.

Is there no alternative to SnowCrows?  If I look over at another game's logs site (actually literally every other major MMO's logs site, it's kinda franchised) it's all individually sorted by dungeon/raid/instance/boss.  So if the Black Hat casting class is especially punished by a fight's movement, that will be reflected in the actual encounter's aggregate logs (which show the percentile distribution, because bell curves are *chefs kiss*).  And rDPS (think DPS generated by boons) will be calculated as well.

100% agree, the sole use of the golem is verifying if someone has a rotation practiced to the point of a rigid competency.  Not if they can actually play that in the more rigorous environment of a raid.  ANet doesn't seriously use Stormcrows to balance off of, do they?

• Like 1

Atleast the last gent in charge of balancing was using Benchmarks and the GW2 wiki, while ignoring the requested input from a discord that existed for that reason only. 

That situation blew up and ended with an astonishingly well done Soulbeast balance patch. But now, after that patch, all we got was nonsense that looks like someone, again, balances according to wiki knowladge only.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Radina.6057 said:

Atleast the last gent in charge of balancing was using Benchmarks and the GW2 wiki, while ignoring the requested input from a discord that existed for that reason only. 

That situation blew up and ended with an astonishingly well done Soulbeast balance patch. But now, after that patch, all we got was nonsense that looks like someone, again, balances according to wiki knowladge only.

Don't insult the wiki people.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:29 PM, Gorem.8104 said:

And yet it was made by the guy who has 2k axe FB time. Its funny how that balance dev who balances FB and designed Mechanist wanted salt from the fans from the June 28th patch. That discord conversation was something else. 

the 2 most broken classes the game has ever seen, both balanced/designed by the same person. 

That they dont have (had?) checks in place to prevent such literal trolling I will never understand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1