Decade Armor

28 minutes ago, patton the great.7126 said:

Wait I'm confused. Is this a legendary set or just another skin set?

Unfortunately, we don't know yet.

Judging by the weapons held in the promo picture and the wording of the announcement, we have a pretty good idea that the decade armor will:
- Be an armor set (separate pieces)
- Have dye channels (not sure how many)
- Most likely look the same across all armor weights (excepting that sometimes the skirt will be connected to the top part for some)
- Be available for everyone to work on - permanently - at their leisure

We don't know:
- If it's just skins or actual gear (probably gear, since they pointedly don't call it the decade armor skin set)
- What rarity that gear might be (idk bro, get hyped I guess)
- If the cape is part of it (big shruggy; it probably is, but it could also just be a teaser for the 10-year gift as some have speculated)
- What, specifically, will be required to earn proofs of legend (Single completions of tasks? Tiered completions? Bear-wrangling? It is a mystery)
- If the tokens for purchasing the armor will be awarded strictly through achievements or awarded by the activities themselves as part of the loot table (My guess would be achievement only, but in that case, I hope they provide more achievements than you need to complete the set so people can have some choice of how they complete theirs)

Hopefully, all things will be made clear on the 23rd.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, patton the great.7126 said:

Wait I'm confused. Is this a legendary set or just another skin set? Does anyone else miss the mini system for gw1 birthdays???

For some reason, anet saw fit to release something vague and let speculation run wild. And the ways we can reason it based on what we know are pointless, because it could go either way. For example, some people point out the Proof of Legend was in GW1 too and has nothing inherently to do with legendaries, but then if we're supposing that anet is at all rational, they'd have to think that calling it that is going to mislead some people if it's not legendary.

Then there's points like: some skins (even if exotic or ascended armor to go with it) hardly seems like sufficient motivation for people to get out and revisit content they've done before, but at the same time, legendary armor path through these achievements would be a huge deal, so why not say it upfront and it would be strange timing considering they just started trying to make raids more appealing, which is the only PvE source of legendary armor.

In other words, you can come up with reasons for either direction, but nothing remotely conclusive, so prob the best thing to do is assume it's a single set of skins across different weight classes, since that'd be the lowest expectation.

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

legendary armor path through these achievements would be a huge deal, so why not say it upfront

If that's the case then the main reason to "not say it upfront" would be exactly because it "would be a huge deal" so that they could reveal the details in their celebration stream.

On the other hand if it would just be a bunch of skins then there is no reason not come clean about it beforehand, you don't want to get peoples hopes up just for them to be disappointed in the moment you actually want them to be exited but A-Net isn't exactly known for flawless marketing so anything goes I guess.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Would be nice if the Decade Armor was Ascended quality and stat swappable.

With the constant meta changes and costs to acquire or change gear stats it's always been a headache to gear up multiple characters with differing armor types and weapons.

On top of that those with the least amount of play time would benefit the most from it as well as new players.

I wouldn't want to be a Steam newbie trying to level and gear a Chronomancer for fractals/raiding. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7

2 minutes ago, Kaleban.9834 said:

Would be nice if the Decade Armor was Ascended quality and stat swappable.

With the constant meta changes and costs to acquire or change gear stats it's always been a headache to gear up multiple characters with differing armor types and weapons.

So, it should be legendary then?

• Haha 5

On 8/16/2022 at 7:14 PM, Busty Bombsalot.4570 said:

We really should get a free set of Legendary armor for all of our toons that are 10 yo. Not something you have to go out and work for. We already did ten years of work. Give something back to the players that have made this game great.

I totally agree 100% for those who have endured and stayed loyal 10yrs, this just seems to be enticing the steam newcomers

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

7 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Depends on what is meant by stat swappable. If it was swappable by the mystic forge, it'd be like other ascended.

Then it wouldn't be worth mentioning in the post since it would be just regular ascended 🤨

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

So, it should be legendary then?

In essence yes. If we're talking a quest chain similar to the Return to Living World series than it's not so farfetched.

As I pointed out, the type of player that stat swapping is most beneficial for are those who have the least amount of time to play and/or are not incentivized or can't commit to the time requirement for farming WvW, PvP or Raids.

Since meta builds change frequently as ANet drops new balance batches, it's not a big ask for a player who's got 5k+ hours into the game and multiple sets of Ascended equipment or Legendary equipment to adapt to the new meta. It IS a big ask for brand new players (Steam anyone) or those with minimal time such as older players with kids and jobs to adapt to a constant shifting meta in a game that has over 40 different end game attribute combinations. Yes there may only be 5-10 that are meta at any one time, but again that can shift at the whims of a balance team that has made, shall we say, "questionable" decisions over the years.

Hell, ANet could even add Legendary Insights as rewards for killing actual Legendary enemies in the Open World. Whether they be bounty targets, boss enemies like Tequatl and the Shatterer, or even the occasional Legendary that pops up during a RIBA farm. They would count against the 30 weekly cap, so whether you're killing bosses in the Open World or Raiding, you'd be subject to the same time frame.

And ANet will have to do something about gameplay parity anyways. Compare the ease of acquiring Mystic Coins for example in the first few years of the game's release to now where a 2nd Gen Legendary weapon takes almost 500 to craft. They used to go for about 2 silver each, and are now 70+. Yes not every new Steam player needs all Legendary all at once, but it's a little silly to expect longevity and loyalty from incoming players if they are gatekept by the game's established market barriers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kaleban.9834 said:

Since meta builds change frequently as ANet drops new balance batches, it's not a big ask for a player who's got 5k+ hours into the game and multiple sets of Ascended equipment or Legendary equipment to adapt to the new meta. It IS a big ask for brand new players

Yeah, because new players that don't play a lot need to constantly swap their builds to the latest top meta ones or the game is so unplayable for them, right?

Your reasoning here just doesn't hold.

2 hours ago, Kaleban.9834 said:

but it's a little silly to expect longevity and loyalty from incoming players

It's a little silly to claim longevity shouldn't be expected from players because long term goals are long term. 🤦‍♂️ Exotic and Ascended gear is in the game too. The less you play, the more it's probable you're completely fine with just exotics in the first place.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Kaleban.9834 said:

Since meta builds change frequently as ANet drops new balance batches, it's not a big ask for a player who's got 5k+ hours into the game and multiple sets of Ascended equipment or Legendary equipment to adapt to the new meta. It IS a big ask for brand new players (Steam anyone) or those with minimal time such as older players with kids and jobs to adapt to a constant shifting meta in a game that has over 40 different end game attribute combinations. Yes there may only be 5-10 that are meta at any one time, but again that can shift at the whims of a balance team that has made, shall we say, "questionable" decisions over the years.

This would be sound logic if:
-There had been no meta prior to the introduction of the legendary armoury
-There had been no balance patches prior to the introduction of the legendary armoury
-Everyone playing the meta were unemployed.
-Everyone was required to play the meta
Unfortunately reality interferes with your tired rhetoric

1 hour ago, Kaleban.9834 said:

Hell, ANet could even add Legendary Insights as rewards for killing actual Legendary enemies in the Open World. Whether they be bounty targets, boss enemies like Tequatl and the Shatterer, or even the occasional Legendary that pops up during a RIBA farm. They would count against the 30 weekly cap, so whether you're killing bosses in the Open World or Raiding, you'd be subject to the same time frame.

Do you, in your heart of hearts, beleive that world bosses on farm, represent the same accomplishment as raid kills?
That Fire Elemental is as representative of a player's skill as Sabetha?

Edited by mindcircus.1506
  • Like 7
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

If that's the case then the main reason to "not say it upfront" would be exactly because it "would be a huge deal" so that they could reveal the details in their celebration stream.

On the other hand if it would just be a bunch of skins then there is no reason not come clean about it beforehand, you don't want to get peoples hopes up just for them to be disappointed in the moment you actually want them to be exited but A-Net isn't exactly known for flawless marketing so anything goes I guess.

Exactly, that's the thing. We can try to reason what makes sense from their viewpoint, but who knows if it actually does.

54 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

People that are wanting free legendary armor are only setting themselves up for disappointment.  We've never received anything for birthdays even close to legendary.  There's no evidence to support the wild speculation going on.

If it was legendary, my expectation would be that it's akin to Aurora and Vision, in that the collection is just to get the precursor and you still have to gather a lot of mats to make each piece be legendary. Which wouldn't exactly be "free", just an alternative path. BUT, I think it makes the most sense to assume it's nothing more than a skin to keep expectations realistic.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Exactly, that's the thing. We can try to reason what makes sense from their viewpoint, but who knows if it actually does.

If it was legendary, my expectation would be that it's akin to Aurora and Vision, in that the collection is just to get the precursor and you still have to gather a lot of mats to make each piece be legendary. Which wouldn't exactly be "free", just an alternative path. BUT, I think it makes the most sense to assume it's nothing more than a skin to keep expectations realistic.

Why would you even think that it will be a set of legendary armor? There was this one funny thread here that got closed that advocated for legendary armor, nothing more. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

On 8/16/2022 at 9:56 PM, jamesg.7128 said:

Likely to be ascended at best. Also, I just finished both Aurora and Vision collections. I thought I wouldn't have to go back through all that again 😖

Draconis Mons is waiting for you. You didn't think you could escape that easily did you?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Hitlit.7630 said:

Draconis Mons is waiting for you. You didn't think you could escape that easily did you?

Well, the part most people are complaining about for that map is not the JP, but the druid backpack. Which is something you do only once.

Now, Chalice of Tears... if i'll find out i'll have to do it once again, i will have some strong words to share.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Then it wouldn't be worth mentioning in the post since it would be just regular ascended 🤨

A compromise (and I'm not expecting anything like this, just noodling how it could be, if it was going to be, which as I say I don't expect it will be):  Something akin to Caladbolg or the Bloodstone Fen trinkets.  Swappable without forging, but requiring a visit to an NPC and some sort of currency, so it can't be done on the fly like legendaries but takes fewer steps than forging and doesn't risk destroying anything by mistake.

I'm interested to find out on Tuesday, and cursing myself for having made a home improvement contractor appointment for that afternoon.  I still have Aug 25 internalized as the day things happen and wasn't even thinking that Tuesday would be the big day.  I should know better by now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/16/2022 at 3:59 PM, Labjax.2465 said:

Depends on how you view marketing I guess. Supposing that it was legendary, if they want it to be shock and awe surprise, your view on it makes sense, but there's also value in letting people generate hype about it early by passing along the word. And dropping info on something called Proofs of Legend without clarifying whether it's legendary is kind of a weird in-between place, IMO. If it turns out it is legendary, then it becomes like "well duh, Proofs of Legend, legendary." If it isn't, then it's like "well that seems a bit misleading then."

I just don't want letdown after a week's worth of speculation, ya know. Letting people's imaginations run wild isn't great for setting expectations.

But that is just my view on it.

Has there ever been something in game with legend/legendary in the name that hasn't involved legendary acquisition?

I completely agree it's a strange in between place. I think it's legendary, but you're right, i can't really be hyped unless they clarify. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4