Hypothetical Poll - How long should it take to craft a set of Open World Legendary Armor?

A Hamster.2580

Time gate for hypothetical open world legendary armor  

130 members have voted

1. 1. How long should a set of open world legendary armor take at the absolute minimum? Please read the assumptions and notes in the post below this poll before voting!

• There should not be any open world legendary armor!
    • The open world legendary armor should take 0-5 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 5-7 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 7-9 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 9-11 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 11-13 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 13-15 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 15-17 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 17-19 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 19-21 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 21-23 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 23-25 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 25-27 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 27-29 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 29-31 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 31-33 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 33-35 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 35-37 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take 37-39 weeks minimum.
    • The open world legendary armor should take more than 39 weeks minimum.

This is assuming you can play at least 4 hours per day, you have all the gold in the world to buy the materials, and you already have the required spirit shards, karma, obsidian shards.

Please keep in mind that the time gate for Raid legendary armor is 5 weeks (assuming you can clear all raid bosses and strike CM's from week 1).

The time gate for WvW legendary armor seems to be 22 weeks per the wiki (assuming you can reach the diamond chest every week).

The time gate for PvP legendary armor is hard to calculate but seems to be even longer than WvW.

I used the wiki for these so correct me if I am wrong and I will edit this post (if possible).

If you want, feel free to elaborate your choice below.

Edited by A Hamster.2580
  • Confused 7

44 minutes ago, Voltekka.2375 said:

Oh wow. Another open world leggy armor topic. 

This topic has been discussed to death and been revived more times than Zhaitan's minions 

I also can't wait for nothing new to be said by anyone and for the same ~7 people to talk in circles for almost 30 pages before the thread gets locked. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Here we go again 

everyone’s here and ready? Grab some snacks, this may take a while. 

There should not be any open world legendary armor!

Yeah . How was your day ?

There should be any open world legendary armor!

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6

Envoy will always be considered more prestigious than anything from OW because of the difficulty associated with it and the animations. Even though I have enough LI for my first envoy set, have crafted coalescence, I say let them eat cake. This game was designed to be casual friendly, causals should have a path to legendaries. Heck, maybe they'll raid more if they have access to the builds that are required via legendary stat swapping. Also, never do another meta like DE. If it takes that much experience/organization, it belongs in instanced content. I have refused to play DE meta with the communities that organize it (like Hardstuck and Skein Gang) because I feel like they would get more raiders with strong builds than a normal group and therefore carry, and in my opinion, I should be able to win metas with complete random strangers. And I haven't passed a single DE meta, even when the comm has tried to organize roles or lead. It's terrible design for OW content. It'd be fine if it was instanced. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Those that did not get Legendary armor would want it to take less (like me).

Those that got it would want it to take even more (to feel more proud and achieved themselves).

I personally want to get it from WvW, but without so many hours per day needed to get it - I would say there is a great mismatch between Raids and WvW in time invested.

Would I want to get it from Raids? Yes - when Warrior gets love it deserves, so, maybe after November patch? 🙂

Edited by Mikali.9651
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

This is assuming you can play at least 8 hours per day, you have all the gold in the world to buy the materials, and you already have the required spirit shards, karma, obsidian shards.

That's a lot of assumptions which are very very far from regular players. I'd say this time amount is pretty much on the absolute top end hardcore wise.

Which begs the question:"who is the target audience for this additional set"? At these play times, there is very little argument to be made that this set is for "casual" players or players who are unable to use one of the existing legendary armor acquisition methods.

Please keep in mind that the time gate for Raid legendary armor is 5 weeks (assuming you can clear all raid bosses and strike CM's from week 1).

The time gate for WvW legendary armor seems to be 22 weeks per the wiki (assuming you can reach the diamond chest every week).

The time gate for PvP legendary armor is hard to calculate but seems to be even longer than WvW.

I used the wiki for these so correct me if I am wrong and I will edit this post (if possible).

5 weeks for raid/strike legendary armor only applies to the first set. This assumption is also very unrealistic. The clear rates for strike CMs or full clears are far below even raid full clears (and most often done by the same players). Let\s not even talk about Harvest Temple CM (or for some KO CM).

WvW and Spvp take as long as they do due to their time/resources gates. A player with 8 hours per day (even a player with 2 hours per day) can easily achieve both targets easily.

If you want, feel free to elaborate your choice below.

As with all of these threads, once again the main reasons for lack of additional legendary armor acquisition methods escapes the topic creator.

- it's not about total time it takes, the large disparity between raid/strike armor and wvw/spvp should be evident here

- it's about incentivizing content and encouraging players to try more than just open world. solving for this issue is far more important than "arguing" over how long it should take. Obviously the most direct solution thus becomes:"make it so long that the incentive remains" which ultimately means insane durations

- we've been told by the developers that legendary armor is a lot of work to implement. there needs to be value besides "I can get shiny via open world" to the game to warrant this design decision

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Which begs the question:"who is the target audience for this additional set"? At these play times, there is very little argument to be made that this set is for "casual" players or players who are unable to use one of the existing legendary armor acquisition methods.

I was reading your response that you gave to this guy for the WvW Legendary set , in which  Arenanet shouldn't  change the pace of the acquisition (make it more faster)  but instead they should make WvW more fun for the population.

Shouldn't we do the for other modes (make them more fun) , rather than prohibiting the Armor to a specific mode ?

For example if people think that Gear inspect would help the Instance "fun" factor , i am up to it

Edit: I  thought it was funny at first , but now that i am thinking more of it , the idea of Legendary that allows you to change Stats only in that mode (participate in Raids/OW events/PvP events every 3 months  so you can change your stat 2hour>1hour>30min>15min>etc in other modes (essentially progression that is missing from the Legendaries)) , could be a nice idea for each mode's long-term reward to hunt . If that mode becomes "fun" to be at

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

1 hour ago, Woof.8246 said:

I was reading your response that you gave to this guy for the WvW Legendary set , in which  Arenanet shouldn't  change the pace of the acquisition (make it more faster)  but instead they should make WvW more fun for the population.

Shouldn't we do the for other modes (make them more fun) , rather than prohibiting the Armor to a specific mode ?

For example if people think that Gear inspect would help the Instance "fun" factor , i am up to it

Edit: I  thought it was funny at first , but now that i am thinking more of it , the idea of Legendary that allows you to change Stats only in that mode (participate in Raids/OW events/PvP events every 3 months  so you can change your stat 2hour>1hour>30min>15min>etc in other modes (essentially progression that is missing from the Legendaries)) , could be a nice idea for each mode's long-term reward to hunt . If that mode becomes "fun" to be at

First off, the legendary WvW armor set is designed around players who enjoy the mode or at the very least spend a significant time in it. As such it already achieves its primary purpose to some extent. The main complaints come from players who are "not" enjoying the game mode wanting adjustments made.

Second, the remaining legendary items (outside of the armor and 1 ring) predominately require PvE (both open world as well as instanced), which achieves another design goal: incentivize diversity in content. You'll fast realize this is also a major complaint main "only" WvW players have. Not unsimilar to the complaint only PvE players have with gift of battle or legendary WvW armor.

That is already a very different premise and outset for design decisions.

Open world content is no "mode". It is PvE just as any instanced content is PvE. If one of the goals is to incentivize players partake in as much diverse content as possible, in case of instanced content which the developers refer to as "aspirational content", there would need to be a good reason to add more options to 1 game mode.

That is not to say I oppose the idea of an additional PvE set (I did in the past due to the games economy, but that has gone out the window by now anyway so might as well), I am merely saying:"all the arguments back and forth on these forums keep missing the issues which need fixing or addressing". None of which are time-frame or grind.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

21 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

First off, the legendary WvW armor set is designed around players who enjoy the mode or at the very least spend a significant time in it. As such it already achieves its primary purpose to some extent. The main complaints come from players who are "not" enjoying the game mode wanting adjustments made.

Second, the remaining legendary items (outside of the armor and 1 ring) predominately require PvE (both open world as well as instanced), which achieves another design goal: incentivize diversity in content. You'll fast realize this is also a major complaint main "only" WvW players have. Not unsimilar to the complaint only PvE players have with gift of battle or legendary WvW armor.

That is already a very different premise and outset for design decisions.

Open world content is no "mode". It is PvE just as any instanced content is PvE. If one of the goals is to incentivize players partake in as much diverse content as possible, in case of instanced content which the developers refer to as "aspirational content", there would need to be a good reason to add more options to 1 game mode.

That is not to say I oppose the idea of an additional PvE set (I did in the past due to the games economy, but that has gone out the window by now anyway so might as well), I am merely saying:"all the arguments back and forth on these forums keep missing the issues which need fixing or addressing". None of which are time-frame or grind.

Now that we have the "easy mode" for raids , people will test it out for the environment/story and get the skin . If we give the WvW/PvP set a better look , other people will follow suite  .

As i said in the past , people get allured by the cosmetics/looks like the Imperial Everbloom Sprout, from CM Temple

It would better if we increase the "fun factor"  in these modes , like for example implanting the GearCheck ,  or implanting an official DPS Meter , where people in CM modes/T4/Guild-Perk-Trait where it's members   could see and link , in-game

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Your poll is going to look incredibly lopsided because there are so many options supporting OW legendary armor, but only one opposing.

Defining 8 hours a day is also hugely problematic. That’s at the extreme end of play time.

If I had to design the OW path, however, I’d look at WvW.

Of the three current paths to legendary armor, WvW is the most similar. You can solo camps and guards, or you can find a zerg and follow along. It takes the least skill and personal responsibility, for lack of a better word.

It takes 20 hours a week to reach the diamond chest, and 22 weeks of doing that for a full set of armor. It seems reasonable to me to use that same amount for OW.

It’d require some sort of time gate to keep your theoretical 8 hour a day OW player from blowing through their 440 hours in 8 weeks instead of 22, but ArenaNet has no compunctions about implementing time gates.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Thanks 2

They screwed up keeping the armory functionality to the existing modes of acquisition. These restrictions were fine before, but with the QOL expanded so much, its not right to keep it restricted. Doesn’t really matter if the usual crew hate the conversation, its not going away.

Edited by Hashberry.4510
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

9 hours ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

The only time gate is how much ranked you can stomach before quitting for the day (or for good). If you spam matches in the low plat region (hovering between g3 and p1) it's feasible to finish a set in 1 full season + mini-season + next full season.

9 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

That's a lot of assumptions which are very very far from regular players. I'd say this time amount is pretty much on the absolute top end hardcore wise.

7 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Which Open World-only PvE players play 8 hours a day continuously? 

5 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Defining 8 hours a day is also hugely problematic. That’s at the extreme end of play time.

The reason why I made the assumption of the player playing at least 8 hours per day for the OW legendary armor set is so we can compare the time gate of it to the time gates of the current three legendary armor set. If I do not make that assumption, someone will rightfully make the argument of "what if the player only play a maximum of 4 hours per week?". That would make the poll useless. Please keep in mind that we are discussing the absolute minimum amount of time needed to craft this hypothetical open world legendary armor and also comparing it to the absolute minimum amount of time needed to craft the current three legendary armor sets so we also have to assume the 8 hours per day play time. I just pick 8 hours because I know that should be enough for someone to meet the time gates of the current three  legendary armor sets.

Edit: I changed it to 4 hours

Edited by A Hamster.2580
  • Confused 5

58 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

The only time gate is how much ranked you can stomach before quitting for the day (or for good). If you spam matches in the low plat region (hovering between g3 and p1) it's feasible to finish a set in 1 full season + mini-season + next full season.

So how long would 1 full season + mini-season + next full season be? I do not play PvP at all.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

This poll is so useless. Too many options. There are minimum times for the PvP, WvW and Raid armour sets. The real question is, should or shouldn't there be an OW legendary armor set. And as others have said, this has been discussed at length various times.

4 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Your poll is going to look incredibly lopsided because there are so many options supporting OW legendary armor, but only one opposing.

Guys it's really not that hard to do the math. For example, since 38% of players pick the "no legendary armor" option, you can do 100-38 = 62%. So 62% as of right now do want open world legendary armor as opposed to 38%.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4