Advert Eyesore

Svarty.8019

4 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Good way for them to inform those unaware of the sales but they should have an option to hide it. Have a check box in the window to hide it after you click on it.

I agree.

The expansions are also advertised in the gem store and that advert could mention that they're on sale right now. It does eventually, but you have to click through several screens to get to that point and I think they're always advertised there if you don't have them so without the added info the initial advert doesn't stand out. If it mentioned the sale then they could add a way to hide the banner (or not have it at all) and people would still be able to find out about the sale.

I also got pop-ups advertising PoF and EoD next to the daily login chest, but I was in a bit of a hurry and already knew about the sale so I didn't read them and now can't get them back to see if it mentioned the sale or was just reminding me there's expansions I don't have. So that was fairly useless for me, but for people who do read them that could be enough.

• Thanks 1

I understand this type of advertising for FTP accounts, but I freaking paid for mine, and somehow I hoped that buying the game would save me from crap like this.  

In any case, I won't buy the expansion until I can buy it for gems, like  I did with the previous one; I pre-ordered HoT and I learned my lesson :)

• Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Justfor.6018 said:

I understand this type of advertising for FTP accounts, but I freaking paid for mine, and somehow I hoped that buying the game would save me from crap like this.  

In any case, I won't buy the expansion until I can buy it for gems, like  I did with the previous one; I pre-ordered HoT and I learned my lesson 🙂

Expansions are never going to sell for gems as company policy prevents it. You couldn't have bought an expansion with gems since its never been physically possible.

And you learned your lesson.. about what? Preordering the best expansion of all time?

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I did make a thread a while back asking folks what were the least annoying places to put in game advertisements.
I got so much venom and many angry responses. 
Only a few folks actually answered the question about placement. 
I knew in game advertisements were inevitable.

At least they aren't advertising for a third party, yet.

😛

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, MintyMin.2718 said:

The platform with worst advert eyesore is YouTube. You are forced to watch up to 30 secs of lame advertisments frequently. That made me hate whatever they are selling in  the advertisements. Bad adverse effects.

uBlock Origin and Vanced (mobile) player solved that issue years ago.

I remember ~5 years ago using a PC without adblock, and finding they'd increased it to two adverts before you get to watch the video, plus an arbitrary one somewhere in the video.

God no.

• Like 4

I don't think it's that bad, it's a line of text below the menu. It would be better if there was a way to hide it after you've seen it, but it's not like it's a massive banner advert you have to clear before you can play, or random pop-ups in the middle of something.

Also it's an advert for more of the game you're already playing, which to me is very different to things like Youtube adverts which are for unrelated products.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Yeah recently hopped onto an alt account for achievements and noticed the advert. It's seriously not that big though, like 1.5 inches by a third of an inch/2 cm by 0.5 cm, and not that in the way either. Just off in the left hand corner.

Won't lie and say that there's a certain level of conditioning to want to close all advertising pop-ups, but this is the first and only time this sort of advert for an in-game purchase was unclosable to our knowledge. 

Also AFAIK this is the first sale for EoD (the only expansion that alt doesn't have) which is pretty reasonable when you consider most people who didn't initially get it wanted to wait for a sale, and they'd probably want to know when that sale was.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, MintyMin.2718 said:

The platform with worst advert eyesore is YouTube. You are forced to watch up to 30 secs of lame advertisments frequently. That made me hate whatever they are selling in  the advertisements. Bad adverse effects.

I have two words for you:

uBlock Origin.

Edit: Beaten to it by LSD.4673!

Edited by Mungrul.9358
Ninja'd!

IMO the best place for an in-game advert for a sale is in the gem store. There already is a banner advert or whatever you'd call it on the front page of the gem store advertising the expansions (again it only shows up if you don't have them) and they could add something to that to say there's a sale on. But then I don't tend to look at those, I go straight to the promotions tab to see what's new or discounted in the gem store itself.

Adverts on the login screen are useless to me because I never read anything on there. I also didn't read the pop-ups when I first logged in, so apparently they're no good either.

I assume Anet added the on-screen advert because they want to make sure no one can say they didn't know or weren't told. It's small but hard to miss entirely so if you don't see it you probably weren't playing anyway. But one way to do that and avoid annoying people who don't want to see it would be to make it so you can manually clear it once you've read it. I'd have preferred mail because I can wait until I have time to read it (unlike the pop-ups) and refer back to it if I want to, but it's not on screen all the time.

But I don't think the on-screen advert is a big deal, even though I have no intention of buying the expansions* so I don't need to be told about it. It's small enough that it's not in the way of anything and doesn't stand out that much.

*My main account already has them all, my second account doesn't need them and it's useful to me to be able to compare full, paid base-game only and free accounts.

• Like 5

They seem to be doing some kind of A/B Testing as I get the advert on roughly half of my accounts and there doesn't seem to be any logic like "Show the advert if the account has no expansion" or anything. Some of my accounts are basically identical (roughly the same amount of AP, roughly the same age, etc.) and still: only some show the advert while others don't.

Personally, I would expect permanent on screen adverts for the gem-shop from crappy F2P games but not from an AAA game.

Let's just hope they don't make the mistake of starting to push the gem shop harder.

I love how they design a UI to be free of clutter, then eventually add adverts..

To be fair though, it’s not a true guild wars advert until a full pop up about it appears in the middle of the screen advertising the sale with some npc loon shouting at you:

”BY OGDEN’S HAMMER, WHAT SAVINGS!”

• Haha 2