This game is going to look like Tera.

Aodlop.1907

Look, I totally understand where these threads are coming from, but the thing is, we always had a bunch of "immersion breaking" stuff. The silly tonics. The silly minis. Hell, I still have a years old picture of a giant kitten norn in Rata Sum square riding a broom in a pink tutu. Then there's all the SAB stuff.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

This is a "muh immersion!!!" thread.

I don't like how they keep adding oversized cat pillows, arcade mounts, legendaries that shoot rainbow unicorns, and all that awful stuff. 

Immersion matters in MMOs. It just does. This isn't Fortnite.

I just said last night that we are going full final fantasy lol. There are purists that prefer the realistic look to a game about death and war, but i think this game past that threshold a long time ago they are catching the anime craze but that craze is niche. Seen mainly in mobile games Asian games and gen z.  The cost is too the mainstream gamers who prefer a more realistic approach. The numbers have been done and anime is not huge but they are loud.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

5 minutes ago, Trovixar.1605 said:

Unfortunately, I don't think there has ever been a developer that completely respects the lore and environment that they put so much time and effort into making.  In other words, even they don't care so much about "immersion" and what not...which always makes me think that such developers are a tad bit incompetent when they want to shove the importance of "story" down my throat and how I should be taking it seriously along with the disco balls, rainbow unicorns, plushy mounts, cat chairs, etc.

I think the division between fluff and dark theme really hit between hot and pof. You see the influx of more fluff items and the game going to a lighter place rather than the dark murderous themes before. even the creatures between the expansions have become fluffier. War and death are ugly and brutal, and I fully expect to experience that when the undead and the abominations come after me, but when a pudgy choya is spitting at me it just dont have the same effect. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Artemis.8034 said:

I just said last night that we are going full final fantasy lol.

I would argue that we've gone beyond Final Fantasy. I play XIV on and off along with GW2, and at least in Final Fantasy, the dumb anime stuff is thematically relevant to the IP and fits in world. Stuff like the giant cat pillows don't feel like they belong in Tyria. It's not helped by the fact that the colour palette doesn't even look like it ties in with anything around it. It seems to have a cell shaded sort of quality to it that makes it stand out, rather than blend into the world. That's honestly the only real issue I have with it. You want to add cat pillows for the people that want them and will pull out their wallets? Cool, do it. But add them in a way that makes them feel like they were made in Tyria. I think they missed that mark here. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I don't like how they keep adding oversized cat pillows, arcade mounts, legendaries that shoot rainbow unicorns, and all that awful stuff. 

To be fair as much as i like fashion and cosmetics.. Is sadly becoming to look arcadish and no immersion

• Like 10
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I feel more immersed when I can make my characters look like how I want them to look.

• Like 6
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, RegnieRiku.4102 said:

That's honestly the only real issue I have with it. You want to add cat pillows for the people that want them and will pull out their wallets? Cool, do it. But add them in a way that makes them feel like they were made in Tyria. I think they missed that mark here. 

Emphasis mine, but yes. Translating things so they fit into the world is what helps with immersion, not just keeping things out of the game entirely. The Jade Bot skins and the cat chair seem outsourced because their art styles differ so dramatically from the rest of the game, and that's what makes them stand out in a bad way. If the cat chair had been a goofy stuffed Charr or Chauncey von Snuffles III done to fit the aesthetic of the world, it'd have fit right in alongside the various goofy backpacks we have.

I don't mind if they want to emulate other franchises or add in-jokes from the real world, but I do wish they'd go through the Tyria filter first.

• Like 15
  • Confused 1

Hmmm.  The developers provide the tools.  It is the users who abuse those tools.  I have seen several tastefully done outfits and cosplays.  The parts used in those outfits are pulled from a wide variety of armors and infusions.

Some players choose to wear all the most revealing armor parts at the same time, others stack visual infusions to an absurd degree.  Because you cannot convince such players to dress their toons moderately, you want the devs to only produce moderate or conservative fashion.  Such a limitation would cripple the cosplayers and stifle creativity.  
"Some of you may die, but that is a price I am willing to pay."

You cannot control what people choose to put on their toons, and this bothers you.  What if you could convince the devs to only make the skins that you approve of?  Then you could force those silly players to dress properly.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
punctuation
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

3 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Hmmm.  The developers provide the tools.  It is the users who abuse those tools.  I have seen several tastefully done outfits and cosplays.  The parts used in those outfits are pulled from a wide variety of armors and infusions.

Some players choose to wear all the most revealing armor parts at the same time, others stack visual infusions to an absurd degree.  Because you cannot convince such players to dress their toons moderately, you want the devs to only produce moderate or conservative fashion.  Such a limitation would cripple the cosplayer's and stifle creativity.  
"Some of you may die, but that is a price I am willing to pay."

You cannot control what people choose to put on their toons, and this bothers you.  What if you could convince the devs to only make the skins that you approve of?  Then you could force those silly players to dress properly.

I’m not sure who you are referring to here. The op at no point refers to armour or armour combinations and how players choose to dress. That is an entirely different topic of discussion to this.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I’m not sure who you are referring to here. The op at no point refers to armour or armour combinations and how players choose to dress. That is an entirely different topic of discussion to this.

Op referenced Terra in the title, and from what I have read, Terra was known for rather revealing armor and spawned several memes.  Then Op bookends their post by mentioning Fortnite Which is also memed for it's clothing options.
Op was very careful with their word choice, but clothing is definitely part of the "immersion" discussion.

@Randulf.7614 I was addressing the people reading this thread.   If the shoe fits, wear it.  If the shoe doesn't fit, then it wasn't meant for you.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 2
  • Confused 9

By lore, Charr are a bloordthirsty warlike race yet we've players making cutesey kitty-cat Charr since the beginning, and now you have magical girl Thieves running around healing people. The game is over a decade old, and times have changed. Will you change with the times too, or get stuck in the past?

All I can say to people is let yourself grow a little. I can only imagine how they must feel to get upset about a plush cat chair they don't even buy or use and rarely see outside of a city hub.

For me, being cringe, feeling comfy and having cute social interactions is my immersion.

Btw, its a whole running theme in the game that alot of this is actually canon and a result of cultural mixing and the rapid progression of technology in the last decade which has made alot of the races less conservative. The gemstore isn't a separate entity but an in-game global trade network run by the Black Lion Trading Company.

The new offerings are likely coming from Cantha.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

What successful MMO stays vanilla and does not add silly cosmetics people want? They all evolve over time and add shiny things that players clearly want. If you don't like it, ignore it? I mean I don't like the kitty chair but why should I care how someone else is enjoying the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

It's fun service for publisher tho. )) Boy I missed Tera

• Like 1