How does Guild Wars 2 not even make top 100 games of all time?!?!

List is... weird indeed. Just offhand, Fallout: NV and Fallout 3, but no Fallout 1 and 2, for a most extreme example? WoW as the only blizzard game mentioned (with Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo titles seemingly left out or forgotten)? A number of games that probably should not be there, but several veeery iconic games missing too. And the qualifications of being on the list are heavily inconsistent, with some  games being there for being iconic, some for being controversial, some for truly being masterpieces that (re)defined a genre, but some just for being recent and having some decent press.

Still, considering how many well-known games did make it on that list (and how many equally or even better known games did not), GW2 not qualifying is not exactly all that surprising. I mean, it was almost a given that most of those games will be single player, with only small number of spots left for multiplayer ones. With those spots being very heavily contested by a number of games i'd expect to end up higher than GW2 (many of which didn't actually make it on the list either, btw)

There's just way too many "top" games than a hundred, so any such a list will be heavily biased and contentious in some way (although not necessarily as much as this one... that was really a low effort at viewer baiting)

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zoid.2568 said:

LOL Zelda breath of the wild is number 1 xD Sure it's a good game but not best of all time.

Nor is it top 100. It’s very good, but several others in the franchise are better. It exists on these lists because of its technical accomplishments 

op, GW2 is a largely unknown game. And that list - whilst skewed to the last 25 years - is formidable (it’s not totally awful, there are a great deal of top 100 worthy games in there as well as plenty of eyebrow raisers too). I wouldn’t be surprised if the compilers had heard of, let alone played GW2.

Its a safe, mainstream list. Even the indie games are safe choices. It’s also a subjective list. Their compiled opinion is just that. Opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

MMOs seems fairly under represented (other than WoW, which everyone has heard of).  I wonder if this is partly because those making the list are just more likely to play/get into single player games and don't have the time to invest into a multi player game to really see how it stands.  I'm not sure what playing GW2 for 20 hours would really give as an impression.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Based on different criteria, even I'm not sure Guild Wars 2 would be in the top 100 games of all time, though it would undoubtedly be in the top 100 MMOs of all time. 

The problem is, there are definitely 100 games that sold more copies than this one.  I'd put Dungeon Master by FTL is probably the best game of all time, but though it was pretty popular in its time, particularly on the amiga computer, I doubt it would end up on anyone's list.

Why does this list matter?  Who cares?

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Zoid.2568 said:

LOL Zelda breath of the wild is number 1 xD Sure it's a good game but not best of all time.

Its a beautiful game, nice open world, the combat is great.. but even though I owned it, I never played it. They added this system regarding weapons into the game that makes it completely unfun: your weapons break and you have to keep collecting them. After the first couple of hours, I got tired of fighting with and collecting branches and just never played it again.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Strider.7849 said:

Its a beautiful game, nice open world, the combat is great.. but even though I owned it, I never played it. They added this system regarding weapons into the game that makes it completely unfun: your weapons break and you have to keep collecting them. After the first couple of hours, I got tired of fighting with and collecting branches and just never played it again.

Yeah that annoyed me as well. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Lists like this are never going to be perfect. I doubt anyone even knows about every video game that's been made (there's literally hundreds released each week and there were dozens a week even before downloadable games and indie development took off).

More importantly thought 'best' is going to be subjective, even if you try to go by sales or aggregate reviews or whatever. You'd certainly never get a list which everyone agrees is right because one person's idea of a great mechanic essential for a perfect game is going to be the reason someone else will never play it. (Simple example: multiplayer, some people consider multiplayer an improvement to any game, but there's other people who will never play a game with multiplayer, even if you're not competing against other people.)

In this case it would help if they at least explained why some of these games made their list, instead of just making jokes about them. But I assume they're aware of the above limitation and don't expect their list to be taken any more seriously than anyone elses.

9 hours ago, Zoid.2568 said:

It's at least in my top 3, but then so is GW2. The 3rd is a relatively obscure artificial life simulation called Creatures 3. I think I'd have to make them all joint 1st because they're too different to choose between them.

I've played all the single-player Zelda games and Breath of the Wild is definitely my favourite. I've been wanting that much freedom to explore Hyrule since I first played Ocarina of Time (before then I'd only played Link's Awakening where you're stuck on a little island anyway). I used to find places I could look up over the edge of the maps, or look down from Death Mountain and imagine what it would be like if I could go off exploring all that space. Even then I'd broken out of enough maps to know it would be pointless to do it in the game, but I still liked to imagine so actually getting to do that is very exciting for me.

But that's my personal list, based on how much I like playing a game and the impact it's had on me. (Ranked by impact Creatures should probably be first since it literally changed my life by influencing my choice of what to study at university and my career.)

Guild Wars 2 is on my list for similar reasons. Exploring is probably my favourite thing to do in games, I do it even when it's not an intended part of the game, so I love games which encourage it by having varied maps and stuff to find hidden all over the place. Some of my favourite moments in GW2 are when I think I'm just mucking around climbing the scenery and then gradually realise I've found a jumping puzzle or mini dungeon. But I like it for other reasons too. I've liked the idea of MMOs since I first heard about them in the late 90's, but I had to give up on Ultima Online because I didn't have time for it and for a long time I just thought they weren't for me. So finding one I can play, which works with the time I have to give it, is really nice. I love that I can play solo and actually get stuff done, but if anyone happens to be around (and there usually is someone) I can play with them without having to form a group or commit to playing for longer than I wanted to, and then when I do have more time and want to do something more organised there's a lot of things I can jump into even if I haven't been playing with that group regularly to make sure I'm at the same point they are.

1 hour ago, Strider.7849 said:

That's easily my least favourite thing about the game, but I got used to it. Upgrading your inventory helps a lot, as does starting to find more durable weapons later on. It's still annoying but it's something I could work around. I started off listing useful weapons I found and couldn't pick up right away so I'd know where they were to come back for them later and I actually stopped doing it eventually because I had so many on my list my notes app wouldn't let me add more (I didn't know it did that) and it was relatively rare that I needed to go back for them, apart from unusual things like boomerangs or wooden weapons to use in a thunderstorm.

The part I find most annoying is that people keep telling me it's good because it encourages you to branch out and try different things, but firstly there's not that much variation between weapons anyway and secondly the one that doesn't (permanently) break is the one I'd default to using all the time anyway, so if anything it's pushing me back into my comfort zone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strider.7849 said:

Yeah, that put me off too, I found myself avoiding combat as much as I could and I quit somewhere in the desert as I simply couldn't be bothered any more. I've played a lot of open world games too so that aspect wasn't hugely novel to me either. 

• Like 2

Wow, some blasts from the past.  And some... not so blasty. 🙂

Keep in mind how the list was compiled... it's not a panel of people sitting down to discuss or vote on a top 100... it's many people submitting their list of top 10.  So while I am not in agreement with many of these selections or rankings, and certainly would have GW2 (among many other notable omissions) included within my top 100, the consensus top 10 itself seems like a pretty reasonable representation.

Well, except #3... Tetris is clever and maybe briefly amusing, but even in homage or as a genre-representative pick... that it consistently made that many people's Top 10 kind of makes you wonder how many games these people were exposed to?!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Well, except #3... Tetris is clever and maybe briefly amusing, but even in homage or as a genre-representative pick... that it consistently made that many people's Top 10 kind of makes you wonder how many games these people were exposed to?!

Things like this are why I find it hard to compare games across genres.

I really like Tetris, as something to do while I'm doing other things. I'll play it while watching TV (on a console I can pause) or listening to podcasts and things because it's engaging enough to stop me getting distracted with other things and wandering off or stopping listening to the thing I'm supposed to be focused on, but doesn't take so much focus that I can't do other things at the same time. It's easily my favourite puzzle game for that purpose (and I've played many) but not something I'd generally choose to play at other times so I'm not sure how to compare it to other games which I need to make time to play. Especially something like GW2 which is an entirely different experience.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Things like this are why I find it hard to compare games across genres.

Agreed.  A more interesting and meaningful list might have been to provide a top 10, categorized by genre, era, etc... RPG, MMO, FPS, RTS, and against other criteria like release by decade (was there anything from the original consoles?) by platform, etc... In a 100 games, I didn't notice any simulators or sports (real sports, skateboarders.. 😉), but we get 7 iterations from the Mario franchise...  

2 hours ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Wow, some blasts from the past.  And some... not so blasty. 🙂

Keep in mind how the list was compiled... it's not a panel of people sitting down to discuss or vote on a top 100... it's many people submitting their list of top 10.  So while I am not in agreement with many of these selections or rankings, and certainly would have GW2 (among many other notable omissions) included within my top 100, the consensus top 10 itself seems like a pretty reasonable representation.

I wouldn’t overlook Tetris. It’s one of the biggest selling games of all time (100million across all formats ever), one of the most influential and a genuinely excellent short burst, addictive puzzle game. For it not to be near the top would invalidate the list for many

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I wouldn’t overlook Tetris. It’s one of the biggest selling games of all time (100million across all formats ever), one of the most influential and a genuinely excellent short burst, addictive puzzle game. For it not to be near the top would invalidate the list for many

Fair enough.  I associate the widespread numbers to the fact that it has appeal to both gamers and non-gamers alike; not sure whether that is necessarily grants validity for a 'best game' list, but I concede the point... subjectivity and controversy is the appeal of these types of lists!