Relics Bring New Equipment to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

I am happy for the most part with the article section addressing legendary runes and relics, I do wish we had more information on how much significant is but equally I understand that not everything is known at this stage.

I don't mean to invalidate anyone who isn't happy but I am happy and trust anet to do right by their players.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

This is going to be an angry rant about this expansion. Let's first address some of the glaring issues with this system.

1. Every build that you are currently playing and enjoying will be taken away from you at launch and you will have to grind or shell out gold just to run the same builds you were before the expansion. The 3 relics from the "relic chest" are soul-bound and will not include any of the expansion exclusive relics. Don't take Anet's word, at least a few of the expansion relics will be more powerful than core relics, just like how Sigil of Absorption and Runes of Durability were overpowered at launch. Expect to be at a disadvantage as you balance grinding for the "OP" runes, while also trying to recover all the lost capabilities you had prior to the expansion.
  2. Legendary rune holders, and arguably even legendary armor holders are getting scammed. Legendary relics will not even exist until at least 6 months until after the expansion. When they are released you will not be grandfathered into the legendary relic system. In fact, based on the wording "each of the seven legendary runes", you wont even get the upper end of "significant" unless you have 7 legendary runes, which most people don't because who you only need 6 and nobody cares about underwater optimization. Anything less than a legendary relic for owners of 6 legendary runes is unacceptable.

Conclusion:

For the love of God do not buy this expansion. 

I understand this is a consideration for people who have legendary runes, but I don't think it changes anything for me.

None of my builds are dependent on specific runes (I never got around to making the pirate character who would use runes of the privateer) so no they're not going to be "taken away" by this update and there's certainly no guarentee I'll want the expansion-specific relics. (If something as minor as an upgrade component is too much trouble to get I always just find something easier/cheaper to use instead.)

Also if you're so sure the core relics will all be useless why does it matter that the free ones will be soulbound?

Edited by Danikat.8537
Adding a quote of the post this was in response to, from before topics were merged
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

A majority of my most-played builds were nuked from orbit with the last balance patch so I'll need fewer Relics anyway. :'>

That being said, as someone with 7 Legendary Runes I'm more than fine putting up with exotics for a few months until the legendary version is released. I'm patient. I can wait. Honestly I'm just glad we're getting any consideration for our hard work, I just hope the "substantial progress" towards a legendary relic is actually... y'know, substantial.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Also: The removal of the 6th bonus actually devalues the 7th rune because that was the main purpose to making one for Aquabreather. There's even less reason to make a 7th Leggy Rune.

Unless you need to make 7 leggy runes before you can craft a leggy relic. With the bonus effect being a primary reason for crafting leggy runes in the first place, if they don't force leggy runes into the relic crafting process somehow, they may not be very desirable.

1 minute ago, jamesg.7128 said:

Unless you need to make 7 leggy runes before you can craft a leggy relic. With the bonus effect being a primary reason for crafting leggy runes in the first place, if they don't force leggy runes into the relic crafting process somehow, they may not be very desirable.

I mean...they won't be. That's just kind of baked into this whole process. Runes in general are worth so much less without the 6th bonus. The only reason I'm going to go ahead and craft my 6 today (I've been holding off until getting this update) is for the "significant progress toward unlocking legendary relic". We won't know just how important or helpful it will be to have the 7th crafted until months down the line.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

@Josh Davis.7865

The lack of design experience really shows and as someone who is involved and signing off on these changes, it's pretty embarrassing.  "Sometime 2024" and "significant progress"  tells me that you literally had no idea up until the WvW changes and seemingly now, how this should work.  The smart move would've wait until the legendary relic(s) were implemented and then ship the changes to the six set bonus.  This is amateur hour and I'm at a loss of words on how you and your team are failing left and right with updates.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

While this post does confirm that the progress towards runes is maintained from a legendary stance in the long term is the short term for swapping these effects considered? I.E. can we submit a ticket should we need to change? Are we going to be provided a relic per character per build tab? Are we going to inadvertently just do the same grind we already did to get the legendary relic while waiting the approximate year until legendary relics are released? Personally, while this confirms ANET isn't deaf it does seem to be shortsighted to move forward with rolling out this system without an immediate response in place to the loss in functionality here. At least provide us with enough of these items to rebuild our characters on day one. The additional flexibility this will eventually provide does not reduce the cost it will take upfront to those who have already paid that price. It doesn't need to even have access to all effects like runes do just enough to where if we have a level 80 character we alternate between are not required to pay for functions we currently have or be handicapped for up to a year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Frankly, if the bonus to legendary relic is gained by making a legendary rune even post expansion launch, that's a nice thing. Instead of a "Make it now or miss out."

First, I agree whatever they do with legendary runes should hold true if you have them now or craft them later. No idea if that's whats planned. I imagine they don't actually know yet.

I think the relatively easy solution is just having "craft 7 legendary runes" achievement grant the legendary relic. If there is a non-rune way to craft it alongside that, that would allow players to choose 2 different paths. Which isn't a bad thing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm not against this change since it will allow more flexibility in general, but I am annoyed that I will need to wait almost a year to get my legendary relic.

There is also something else that is bothering me, the blog post talks about "improving core systems and features of Guild Wars 2", but how exactly does this relics system will improve our inventory management? The equipped relic on the blog post appears to be soulbound which means that we will end up carrying a bunch of relics on our alts that will take even more inventory space.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I think the relatively easy solution is just having "craft 7 legendary runes" achievement grant the legendary relic. If there is a non-rune way to craft it alongside that, that would allow players to choose 2 different paths. Which isn't a bad thing.

They could give a legendary core relic now, but they wouldn't give a legendary obscure relic without playing through their collections, as there would be no point in them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

That compromise was the point.

I don't really feel that strikes true. Currently there are runes that are way too perfect for some classes (like Firebrand rune) while other classes and bulds have no comparably broken ideal rune available for them. In this way it directly shapes what is strong to play and what not. The current rune imbalance is no better than opening up the system either, although I'm definitely concerned about the ridiculous amount of power anet wants to sink into relics as the 2 preview runes are better than everything we know on current 6 item boni.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

That compromise was the point.

I don't really feel that strikes true. Currently there are runes that are way too perfect for some classes (like Firebrand rune) while other classes and bulds have no comparably broken ideal rune available for them. In this way it directly shapes what is strong to play and what not. The current rune imbalance is no better than opening up the system either, although I'm definitely concerned about the ridiculous amount of power anet wants to sink into relics as the 2 preview runes are better than everything we know on current 6 item boni.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have 2 issues with the announced legendary relic, other then it being way too late after release...

1, Why do we need 7 runes? Right now if you had 6 legendary runes you had everything. Now you will need 7 to get progress toward the relic? So it will cost 300-400g more to be at the same spot we were before this rune-relic rework.

2, Why is it only 'progress towards the relic"? Just give the players the legendary relic if they had 6 legendary runes.

Achievement: if you have 6 legendary runes 0 AP and a legendary relic as a reward. That simple, no need to do this nonsense overcomplication and extra cost on players that worked for the items.

Disclaimer: I do NOT have any lege runes or sigils, but the way this is handled is a joke and really putting me off from buying the next xpack, let alone preorder it...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

They could give a legendary core relic now, but they wouldn't give a legendary obscure relic without playing through their collections, as there would be no point in them.

I disagree with the premise that there would be different legendary relics like that. The whole point of a legendary is that is does everything in that slot. Every legendary before this automatically gained the stat sets that came out with new expansions.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, KingJoko.1625 said:

I have 2 issues with the announced legendary relic, other then it being way too late after release...

1, Why do we need 7 runes? Right now if you had 6 legendary runes you had everything. Now you will need 7 to get progress toward the relic? So it will cost 300-400g more to be at the same spot we were before this rune-relic rework.

2, Why is it only 'progress towards the relic"? Just give the players the legendary relic if they had 6 legendary runes.

Achievement: if you have 6 legendary runes 0 AP and a legendary relic as a reward. That simple, no need to do this nonsense overcomplication and extra cost on players that worked for the items.

Disclaimer: I do NOT have any lege runes or sigils, but the way this is handled is a joke and really putting me off from buying the next xpack, let alone preorder it...

The blog post has be sneakily changed, it doesn't say 7 anymore. Tells you how much they guy who writes the blogpost knows about the game, when I started crafting the legendary runes, everyone's advise was "there is no need for the 7th"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

Runes are dead. They will all be silvers. Charm value should go down as well

Legendary runes will also go down in value unless they offer a realy good boost to legendary relic.

Hopefully is a single legendary relic, and not a legendary relic for the dragon cycle and one for each new expansion.

Months without the QoL of swapping the bonus effect freely.

Bean counter 1-0 fun.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, babana.7521 said:

The blog post has be sneakily changed, it doesn't say 7 anymore. Tells you how much they guy who writes the blogpost knows about the game, when I started crafting the legendary runes, everyone's advise was "there is no need for the 7th"

What a mess... they really didn't think this through at all..

• Like 7
  • Confused 4

The real issue is they are implementing relics as a zero sum change. If it was in addition to the 6th set bonus no one would have batten an eye and everyone would be theocrafing to see how much better they can make their builds and everyone would be looking forward to the expansion.

Yes some would complain about power creep but probably no more than it is now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3