So whats yall thoughts on Soto's Masteries?

They're okish. Nothing really stands out either way and there is a lot of room for improvement (but it also could have been a lot worse).

My biggest gripes at the moment are the fireball and the "rift scan" related ones. A 25 sec CD on what is essentially just an AA (and a rather weak one at that) is just atrocious and them coupling the rift farming to a consumable instead of designing the mastery to let the player choose which level he wants to farm (provided he already got the related upgrade) is just another negative in my book.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Maxed Flight Training and it is ok but sometimes layline travel is annoyance even if I dismount and glide it still forces traveling because of gliding. whole "mount combat" element kind of sucks. Otherwise as a griffon very fun map for flight really. 
Astral Ward 2/4 so far nothing impressive but recently found out that you need to craft those tier2 and tier3 one time use motivators and it killed my motivation sort of, not that I was extremly hyped over rifts to begin with but it is what it is.

Heart of obscure 2/5 and honestly ? chests locked behind last mastery which also don't give much rewards is bad and i am not maxing out that mastery for now. 

Also agree with comment above about rift scan thing .

Overall pretty bland, not touching Soto that much it is kind of boring honestly, went back to doing something else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I never got this stupid ley-line acclimation mastery i p me off to no end when I'm using the griffin to fast cross the map and all of a sudden you get snagged by a ley-line you dont see and get pulled across the map. I usually just rage quit the game when i find out I'm further way from where I'm going then when i started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

The skyscale line is ... okay. Improvements need to be made, like a Leyline Ride On/Off toggle.

The other two have issues. Both of them really, REALLY lean into mistakes I thought they learned to avoid after HoT, in that the Mastery lines are mostly about just getting to access the expansion and rewards. There's no "Mastery" in a merchant finally deciding to talk to you. Earning their trust should be part of the story, maybe a heart you have to complete, but not a Mastery. Same with someone finally deciding to tell you how to craft the things you're using to fight their enemies for them! If they're too stuck up themselves to tell you how to craft what you need, maybe they SHOULD die! And if the challenge for a treasure chest is to reach the area and find it, then it's insulting to hide opening it behind a Mastery that unlocks it, and that's ALL it does. We can do better than that in a wolf den in Queensdale.

If they want to fix them... Well, it's too late to do that, really. They can patch them somewhat, but they're out and it's too late to avoid that mistake any more.

First, they need to add Updraft Generators and Ley Looms to other zones. A LOT of other zones. One Ley Loom in an obscure place could lead to a few more that make a high-up network to quickly cross zones. Then they could be useful in other maps, like mounts and gliding are, but not really disrupt the zones themselves.

Second, they need to make the chests worth opening. Put Kryptis Motivations into them, with the rares only appearing in the big chests. Not every chest, but a decent chance, so it's worth looking for the chests if you want some.

Finally, The Astral Ward Mastery line is beyond saving. Scrap it, make the features automatic, and come up with something better.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Most of them are only OK. Boosting flying mounts is nice. I do have 2 gripes, though.

1) Ley-Line Acclimation for flying mounts clearly isn't thought out well. If you accidentally catch a ley-line, it can screw you over.

2) Combat Launch is another one that isn't thought out well. There are no skill icons or anything that let's me know what the CD is. You can also unintentionally waste it if you get attacked just before you mount.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 4

Good:

• The fireball mastery is pretty fun, since the Skyscale is pretty slow. Gives a little goal to do while traveling towards a target. I think some people just forget about it, though.
  • Free Bond of Vigor for Skyscales. Nice for how slow they are.
  • Mounting in combat for Skyscales is actually kind of fun for taking out turrets or contributing to a boss fight.
  • Updrafts are fun to use on mounts.

Neutral:

• Why are Kryptis Motivation crafting recipes masteries? They cost too much to make, so they are already gated off in their own way. Should be to make those recipes cheaper to craft!

Bad:

• Arcane Treasures. The only time you want to open them is while you are leveling up the masteries to open up Arcane Treasures or for that Griffon skin achievement.
  • Who wants to activate Updraft Generators manually? I forget about them or fail to notice them while traveling in a group. They are difficult to use while on a Griffon. Ley-Looms have the same issue, although it's actually a good thing that they are turned off sometimes.
  • Ley lines kidnap people.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Palador.2170 said:

The other two have issues. Both of them really, REALLY lean into mistakes I thought they learned to avoid after HoT, in that the Mastery lines are mostly about just getting to access the expansion and rewards. There's no "Mastery" in a merchant finally deciding to talk to you. Earning their trust should be part of the story, maybe a heart you have to complete, but not a Mastery. Same with someone finally deciding to tell you how to craft the things you're using to fight their enemies for them! If they're too stuck up themselves to tell you how to craft what you need, maybe they SHOULD die! And if the challenge for a treasure chest is to reach the area and find it, then it's insulting to hide opening it behind a Mastery that unlocks it, and that's ALL it does. We can do better than that in a wolf den in Queensdale.

So much this.

• Like 3

Updrafts for mounts are a nice addition.  However, the updraft generators and ley looms feel like the pointless filler they are.  If you wanted to place an updraft at a particular location, you could have just placed an updraft there.

The small upgrades to the skyscale are welcome, but not very impactful.  The cooldown on the ability to mount in combat is too long for a simple QoL upgrade.  I dislike the fireball skill.  The targeting feels bad and outside of the adventures its sole purpose seems to be to make combat less engaging.  For example, the Amnytas meta, which wraps up with a riveting yoga session followed by Zhaitan 2.0.

But first place in the category of "Why would anyone think this is a good idea?" goes to...mounted leylines.  Just...why?  There is literally no reason I would ever want my griffon to be snagged out of flight by a leyline.  Please remove or rework this.

All in all, SotO masteries brought us a few minor upgrades, some annoying downgrades, but mostly some useless filler.  I am enjoying the expansion overall and feel the price is well worth it, but I feel like the well has run dry on ideas for masteries at this point.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

But first place in the category of "Why would anyone think this is a good idea?" goes to...mounted leylines.  Just...why?  There is literally no reason I would ever want my griffon to be snagged out of flight by a leyline.  Please remove or rework this.

Why? Because people have been asking for it ever since griffons were released.  I know you've seen the threads; you've been around here long enough.  I agree, though, with the majority's sentiment that they need to be re-worked or have some toggle/option.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Chests specific masteries... running out of ideas? 
Tower masteries, similar to Arborstone
Flight masteries: leyline DISASTER for Griffon.

Benefit of having both PoF and SotO masteries on Skyscale: Underwhelmingly unnoticable.

On the other hand, I was not expecting ground breaking masteries. However still extremely and utterly dissapointment in ignoring our feedback on auto pickup leyline on Griffon. Bad move, very bad move and I will continue to say it: WILLINGLY destroying the Flight mechanics of a mount like the Griffon is a bad move, VERY bad move.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Chests specific masteries... running out of ideas? 
Tower masteries, similar to Arborstone
Flight masteries: leyline DISASTER for Griffon.

Benefit of having both PoF and SotO masteries on Skyscale: Underwhelmingly unnoticable.

On the other hand, I was not expecting ground breaking masteries. However still extremely and utterly dissapointment in ignoring our feedback on auto pickup leyline on Griffon. Bad move, very bad move and I will continue to say it: WILLINGLY destroying the Flight mechanics of a mount like the Griffon is a bad move, VERY bad move.

Dident they already do chest specific masteries in icebrood saga?

You did get a fancy attack with that mastery that worked on some enemies to tho so if this new mastery only work on chests its a downgrade.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

You did get a fancy attack with that mastery that worked on some enemies to tho so if this new mastery only work on chests its a downgrade.

It's only for chests, and you still have to play simon to open them 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Only that there it gives you sensible loot (e.g., you can open the chests within Strike Missions). The SotO chests are completely pointless except for the extra loot you receive when you are doing the A New Look achievement.

No idea what those Unusual Coins are good for, to be honest. It doesn't feel like it was worth it leveling that specific Mastery.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Only that there it gives you sensible loot (e.g., you can open the chests within Strike Missions). The SotO chests are completely pointless except for the extra loot you receive when you are doing the A New Look achievement.

No idea what those Unusual Coins are good for, to be honest. It doesn't feel like it was worth it leveling that specific Mastery.

apparently you need a crap ton o them for the legendary armor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not really impressed with the masteries. It really feels like a situation of  'create a problem, sell the solution' like it's a straight up acknowledgement that they made the maps intentionally annoying to get around. Updraft generators disrupt the flow as you have to stop to activate them and hope you're positioned correctly for it to work. The improved wall bounce is barely an improvement. Fireball is pretty worthless as I'd rather just dismount and fight so they designed a reason for it in shooting the eyes in amnytas in one phase of the meta. Could take or leave locking the crafting of kryptis motivations behind masteries because they're simply too expensive to craft unless you've been hoarding for a while before soto's release and they're annoying to use in the heat of the moment anyway. Yet they're required if you want to do rifts above t1 without leeching off someone 😐. The motivations seem to be a resource dump as you don't only craft them with materials gotten for running said rifts. 

Combat launch is awesome at times, except for when you're inadvertently still in combat and blow the three minute cooldown because you hit your mount key a second too early. Leyline riding has been more of a hindrance than a help in older zones as sometimes it just yoinks you and forces you to use an evade to get out (looking at you tangled depth lanes). Unsure which magically enhanced ley lines restore endurance or if it means all ley lines. Haven't paid enough attention or cared which says something on its own. 

Mastery to unlock chests that still require a minigame is so uninspired it's not even worth mentioning. The only one I actually enjoy in the new content is combat launch and it's not without issues. 

If I had to sum them up in one word it'd be lazy. That's my take on the masteries so far. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/22/2023 at 6:48 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

Why? Because people have been asking for it ever since griffons were released.  I know you've seen the threads; you've been around here long enough.  I agree, though, with the majority's sentiment that they need to be re-worked or have some toggle/option.

I don't get it.  Why would you want leylines to grab your griffon out of flight and steal all of its momentum?  Is there some upside to this I'm not considering?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Oh? Must be an oversight on my end, then. Let me check...

You are right. 🙂 Well, that's something at least. Means I will have to keep opening those chests. 😄

The coins weren't needed for anything legendary at first, it was 250 essences of Despair instead. They changed it with the September 12th update without notice.
It doesn't take too long if you open the large chests daily and then they go back to being useless 😄

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I don't get it.  Why would you want leylines to grab your griffon out of flight and steal all of its momentum?  Is there some upside to this I'm not considering?

Most people wouldn't.  It's yet another case of not being careful in asking for things from Anet.  People wanted this ability; Anet delivered it.  But not as many would like.

• Confused 2

I stopped the Flight Training mastery shy of Ley-Line Acclimation. I love zooming around the new zones on griffon way too much to take it. Disappointing, because it'd be nice to have Rising Spirits. Enhanced Updrafts are awesome. Enjoy Combat Launch. Fireball does more damage than I thought it would. I can't tell that Wall Spring did anything for me even though it's supposed to launch farther having trained the original Wall Launch.

Just finished Ley-Loom Operation on the Research mastery. Haven't used it yet, but maybe it'll still be useful for gliding, since I'm not taking Ley-Line Acclimation. Once again, feels bad to have to advance a mastery just to open chests.

Astral Ward seems like a waste of a line. Two mastery points to enable the resting mechanic? And the rest of the line is just more gates that I knocked down as soon as possible and felt no better for having done so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2