test

Whaoz.8630

It's not changing. I like that they've held their ground against addons.

To see what a hell it would be if they allowed addons, just look at WoW. Asmongold just did a stream where he almost broke down crying at the arms race between the addons and the raid designers. He came to the conclusion that it would be best if they just straight up banned addons.

That being said, I do wish I could disable the XP bar at the bottom.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It's never a good idea to assume other people already know about the problem you want to raise and completely agree with your opinions on it. Unless you can find an existing topic where you could simply type "Me too" because they've described exactly what you want to say it's best to assume no one else has said it before and explain exactly what the problem is and why it's a problem for you. (Calling in @kharmin.7683 because this would be an ideal time to know if there is an existing topic on this subject.)

It's possible that then other people will come along and agree (maybe they'd never thought about it before but realised you're right, maybe they never knew how to explain the problem or were nervous about starting a topic, maybe they kept forgetting) but without that info the best you'll get is people trying to guess at what you mean and then you risk the topic being derailed by people talking about unrelated problems that bother them but not you, or simply derailed by people talking about having to guess what the problem is.

Also when a game is 11 years old and the problem has existed since the begining (which I assume is the case here since the UI is largely unchanged) it's safe to assume it's not that the devs just haven't gotten around to it or haven't announced the change yet and you're going to have to persuade them rather than just demanding an update on the situation. It's likely they don't think there's a problem to solve.

3 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

It's not changing. I like that they've held their ground against addons.

To see what a hell it would be if they allowed addons, just look at WoW. Asmongold just did a stream where he almost broke down crying at the arms race between the addons and the raid designers. He came to the conclusion that it would be best if they just straight up banned addons.

That being said, I do wish I could disable the XP bar at the bottom.

I've never played WoW so I don't know how they do it but Elder Scrolls Online addons can only work through an API so the developers control what information they have access to and what they can do which limits their impact. It doesn't limit it enough for some people, but apparently they can do a lot less in that game than in WoW and I imagine Anet could do something similar, but maybe limit it even more so they can only change the UI.

The current GW2 UI doesn't bother me, but there are some minor changes I'd make if I could. The main one is having a more detailed version of the current options to hide some UI elements, with some of the current options split into multiple sections and more conditions for when to show and hide them. For example I'd like to split out the skill bar, health bar (orb? whatever it is) and boon/condition markers so I can hide the skill bar outside of combat, the health bar (and dodge bar) only when it's full and keep conditions and boons on screen all the time. Oh and if the special action key shows up it would still appear even if the skill bar is hidden.

Likewise I'd like to be able to hide or show text down the right side of the screen seperately based on what it is rather than all together, so I can hide the story and achievements but show events or whatever. Although I think for me that would have to be done manuall - have a 'hide' button next to each section (and then a menu where I can see everything that would be there to unhide it again) because what I want to see is very variable.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Whaoz.8630 said:

You're all fighting over addons and what I assume is a GW2 influencer is getting in the way of the kitten posts

I just wanna move my ability bars. What the kitten are you all talking about?

People assumed things because you didn't actually say what your problem is. "What the kitten are you talking about?" applies to your OP equally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

I want a modular UI. Literally just let me move kitten like almost any other MMO.

To reiterate

I feel the UI prioritizes design over functionality. 

Health circle placed inbetween my action bars created more distance between them than needed. On top of the way bars are already arranged horizontally despite my bindings not being arranged that way. This means all the info I need in combat is arranged in a clusterkitten of ability bars thrown wherever, spanning across the entire bottom of my screen, instead of all the info being neatly stacked and consolidated in one area. Some of this can be class specific too, like Engi toolbelt corresponding with utility bar but being placed above the weapon bar hurts my head sometimes. Also Soulbeast.

The bigger gripe I have is muscle memory. I don't have my bindings arranged horizontally like they are displayed on the UI which makes it difficult to tell which binding is where. I could obviously learn where the abilities correspond, but consider that I'm swapping weapons, abilities, and professions by the minute.

Other MMOs I play I can watch my cooldowns and combat simultaneously because of how optimized I can make my UI. GW2 feels like I have adhd going back and forth to my bar to my buffs to dodging mechanics. And I don't have to use a single addon for it.

Want to emphasise

kitten addons

kitten addons hard

Big reason I don't play that MMO

Edited by Whaoz.8630
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Whaoz.8630 said:

I want a modular UI. Literally just let me move kitten like almost any other MMO.

To reiterate

I feel the UI prioritizes design over functionality. 

Health circle placed inbetween my action bars created more distance between them than needed. On top of the way bars are already arranged horizontally despite my bindings not being arranged that way. This means all the info I need in combat is arranged in a clusterkitten of ability bars thrown wherever, spanning across the entire bottom of my screen, instead of all the info being neatly consolidated in one area. Some of this can be class specific too, like Engi toolbelt corresponding with utility bar but being placed above the weapon bar hurts my head sometimes. Also Soulbeast.

The bigger gripe I have is muscle memory. I don't have my bindings arranged horizontally like they are displayed on the UI which makes it difficult to tell which binding is where. I could obviously learn where the abilities correspond, but considering I'm swapping weapons, abilities, and professions by the minute.

Other MMOs I play I can watch my cooldowns and combat simultaneously because of how optimized I can make my UI. GW2 feels like I have adhd going back and forth to my bar to my buffs to dodging mechanics. And I don't have to use a single addon for it.

Want to emphasise

kitten addons

kitten addons hard

Big reason I don't play that MMO

The suggestion is valid, but previous dev comments suggest it can’t be done. It was hard coded to avoid this and the issue is that legacy code is extremely messy and prone to break masses of the game. And that’s assuming anyone there still know the in depth details of it.

Its something they are very reluctant and scared to touch.

Im not saying they won’t do it, but the indications are after 11 years that it won’t be changed. GW2 is doing extremely well without UI changes, but it’s also in its later years. Im struggling to see it happening at this point. I would expect it to be a very, very low priority if it was doable as well

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AlenaVolkova.8179 said:

I prefer Guild Wars 2 MMO UI than any MMO's. Namely WoW, Wildstar (RIP), Ark Fall (RIP), and PSO2 NGS, they all have bloated information all over my screen.

What about Aion?

I always though it had the best functionality and flexibility. You can put whatever in you bars (even emotes, food...) and you could put them where ever u wanted them (I had my utility bar vertically on the right hand side) and create a lot of them. Frame your screen if you're into that.

• Confused 1

Addons are bad, I hated them in wow. The UI improvement addons are fine but the addons that give you more information than the original game intends are just bad.

But GW2 UI has a lot to be desired for.

The player boons, conditions and effects are on the opposite side of the screen to the enemy conditions and boons. Thats just bad design. You want to look at both at the same time. Same with player and target health bars.

The boons and player effects themselves are atrocious. Small icons in the corner all mushed together regardless of their importance. Short term player effects that you want to combo into are in the same line as long term meaningless effects that you only want to check once per hour or pretty much never. And theres just too many and they even hide behind minimap at some point which I would consider plain bug.

The raid and party frames could have more customization. If I play a support in a squad I would like to have party frames for my group because thats where all the relevant info for me is (boons for my group). But I would still like to see the rest of the squad's health bars, especially if I am a healer I can maybe help outside my subgroup. 

There are other gripes but these are the worst because these are vital combat information. It also widens the skill gap between players in a meaningless way. I think a lot of players rarely actively follow target boons and conditions and their own conditions and boons just because it is hard in a fast paced combat and with such UI. And they unload CC into stability or just spam cleanse whenever theres something red on the lower right because it's just really hard to follow all of these because of bad UI.

Now imagine you have both player and target frame with neatly arranged boons and conditions with decently sized icons in the same region of the screen. Preferably close to your abilities cooldowns. One look at that part of the screen gives you all the required combat info. I think a lot of players would start to play better naturally just because they would notice the effect synergies naturally. Oh I unloaded my rapid fire into a elementalist and nothing happened to him and I took dmg. Maybe that icon under his hp bar means I shouldnt do it next time. Oh I have 1 stack of vulne, no need to cleanse, oh I have 10 stacks of burning if I dont cleanse right now I'm dead. 

• Like 2

I've always wished we could resize different UI elements individually without it being restricted to the "Interface Size" limits. Mine is set to "Small" which limits how far I can stretch certain things like the mini-map and preview window. I can't increase the size of the chat box text either (which is super microscopic by default and still small at Large text) unless I set entire interface to max ("Larger") which makes everything massive. I also have to change whole interface to larger to get a better look at things in preview window.

Take a page out of FFXIV's book where it lets you right click nearly any window and set it's size.

Then there's their juicy af custom hotbar system.... Can't even re-order weapon skills here.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1