As a more casual GW2 player today, what should I be doing in-game?

In the recent years I have become a very casual MMO player in general. But in GW2 what's some things very casual players like myself should do?Waiting for dungeon groups don't seem optimal for a very casual MMO player. So I no longer do those. Currently I been playing PvP unrated and doing Hearts and random event spawns. But that sometimes gets a bit boring. I want to do more things that are progressive at the same time for my time given.

You can do some Worldbosses or Metaevents, there are a lot of them to do some offers nice loot. Also you can do daily T1 fractals, it's pretty easy to find groups for them and progress up to higher tier. As a long term goal you can craft a legendary weapon. That's what i'm doing. Mix different things so you will not get bored or burned out by doing the same thing every time. Also a nice guild can be a great place to get into different types of content.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:In the recent years I have become a very casual MMO player in general. But in GW2 what's some things very casual players like myself should do?Waiting for dungeon groups don't seem optimal for a very casual MMO player. So I no longer do those. Currently I been playing PvP unrated and doing Hearts and random event spawns. But that sometimes gets a bit boring. I want to do more things that are progressive at the same time for my time given.

Hello Knighthonor,

I have the same feelings as I think you're describing here. A good place to start would be to look on the Daily Achievements and do all 3 of either PvE, WvW, or PvP.PvP dailies tend to be the quickest because if you win a game chances are you'll have them done that game, or be very close to it. After your dailies are done, you might try out Fractals for their own daily rewards. Also, checking the Meta Event timers and planning your play schedule around that. If there's something big you're working on, take time to research where you can get the materials and most profit for your time towards whatever you're wanting.

Hope this helps, cheers.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:In the recent years I have become a very casual MMO player in general. But in GW2 what's some things very casual players like myself should do?Waiting for dungeon groups don't seem optimal for a very casual MMO player. So I no longer do those. Currently I been playing PvP unrated and doing Hearts and random event spawns. But that sometimes gets a bit boring. I want to do more things that are progressive at the same time for my time given.

You could do the personal story, HoT and PoF campaigns, jumping puzzles, map completion etc. I believe the best you can do is keep track of festivals like Shadow of the Mad King, Wintersday, Lunar's New Year and Super Adventure Box.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Check your achievements tab in your hero panel. Unless you’ve been keeping up with achievements there’s a lot to do on those lists.

For somebody coming back, I don't think those remaining achievement are very casual friendly.

Not all of course but some are. And if you have a guild you can ask if others need certain achievements and group up to do the harder ones. Also, there are a fair number of guilds that tackle some on a regular basis. For example, the Shatterer set of achievements is frequently hosted by a guild that does the one at/right after reset.

Do you have the expansions? Have you done those story lines, gotten the Mastery points and achievements from all the new maps? Not all may be easily done solo but there’s lots on those lists.

Hey Knight...just to tag on to what some of the others have said. I belong to a guild that has evolved into a very casual group of players over the years. We do guild missions together once a week and, if someone needs it, we will organize a fractal or dungeon group. If anyone needs help with a story element, people lend a hand. But without exception, we are all very casual. I suspect there are a number of guilds out there that operate this way.

Agreeing with other posts—world bosses, meta events (I like Silverwastes and Dragon Stand best), personal story, and some seasonal or special events that come around. I also love creating new characters and map clearing with them, often trying new builds ways of playing while in the lower level areas. I have played through the expansions and LW stories 2, 3 and 4 (so far), but I am starting to find them a little intense for my taste, so not sure I'll continue.

Bottom line for me, I just do what I find fun and don't worry about the rest. Best of luck.

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:In the recent years I have become a very casual MMO player in general. But in GW2 what's some things very casual players like myself should do?Waiting for dungeon groups don't seem optimal for a very casual MMO player. So I no longer do those. Currently I been playing PvP unrated and doing Hearts and random event spawns. But that sometimes gets a bit boring. I want to do more things that are progressive at the same time for my time given.

For what it is worth: fractals are what would be called dungeons in most other MMOs; the things called "dungeons" in GW2 were intended to be the same idea, originally, as well as being tied to the story of the core game, but for various reasons, ended up being too inflexible to do what ANet needed.

So, rather than remove them or rewrite them radically, ANet simply moved the "dungeon" stuff to fractals; you may find those more useful to queue for.

Dailies until the next Living World update. Farming materials if you're really bored. Recently, my wife and I started chasing down that legendary trinket. It's involved, but rather fun for us. Well . . . for her. ;)

Otherwise, as harsh as it is, play other games until the next episode or seasonal event between dailies.

Keeps the burnout at bay.

Do you have Path of Fire? Have you completed your Griffon quest?

Hey , here are a list of things I do in game and recommend

If you feel comfortable enough you can try ranked pvp. I’ve been playing on my dragon hunter and Holosmith and having a good time. In both ranked and not ranked pvp there are achievements and some nice titles that you can get casually

There are mastery points in the core game that you can get by walking up to them

There are a bunch of world bosses on a timer that happen throughout the day with titles and other nice things to get. These bosses can be done casually and you can find big groups in the group finder

You can do the living story which has its own set of achievements and items

If you have path of fire you can get the griffin mount which is fun to use and can be done casually, but it takes some gold .

There are races and other events in path of fire as well

You can take your path of fire mount into the hot zones and explore and complete them which I found easier with the mounts

There are mini games you can enter such as a hunger games mode and keg brawl which are fun for a little

You can try fractals, the rank one fractals are pretty straight forwards and can be pugged in the group finder

If you like wvw there is that, there are squads and guilds you can join and chat with to help out

If you get frustrated with an activity it’s ok and good to take a break. If I can too frustrated with spvp I move into something else for the night.

As far as something that you can pretty much jump right into without any waiting time: There have been a lot of rarer/unique drops added to the game since HoT - things like weapon skins, minis, and infusions. If you like any of them are willing to take the right attitude (i.e. not raging if you don't get it after three tries), it can be a driver of fun and varied gameplay. Things like Kingmaker, Mordrem Saber, Randa's Eviscerator, Forged weapons, Inquest Mega-spanner, Sunspear and Sunscythe, for example, can all be obtained from a wide variety of activities. The different drops come from different activities - Metas, chestruns, open-world mob killing, and random events can all give you a chance at some rare drops. Mini griffon comes from activities, mini scarab, iboga, and jacaranda from mob kills. Some of the PoF profession minis still command decent coin if you want to sell them (or you can just keep them) and have drop rates where you're likely to see some. Or you can chase the Chak Egg sac jackpot from Tangled Depths meta.

Complete the storyline(s), farm meta-events, farm hero points to unlock all elites for your professions, do your dailies, get infinite gathering tools and run gathering routes, gear up your characters for the occasional fractal/dungeon run, roam around or zerg in WvW, pwn some noobs in PvP, get full map completion in core, expansion and living world maps, get your crafting professions up, craft a legendary or two, do jumping puzzles and minidungeons...

You can slowly and casually complete about 90% of the game's content, only high-tier fractals and raids aren't so casual-friendly. Just do whatever feels right!

You could always play the game with me? I could use a new friend. =)

My discord is: DreamyAbaddon#4760

Set some goals based on what you enjoy in game. I love running VB/AB/TD->DS, SW RIBA and Lake Doric leather farming and I turn the gold into gems to buy QoL and cosmetic stuff. That plus farming berries and other currencies for ascended trinkets for a stable of alts more than fills up my casual gaming time.

As mentioned, set some goals for yourself, try to do some of the harder achievemnts, craft some of the harder weapons to craft. Hopping into WvW either as a roamer or zerger can also be a quick way for some instant fun imo.

Archived