Coming Tomorrow 7/10/18 – Balance Patch

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

@TotallyNotJazzie.1493 said:Is there a possibility of future reworks in the pipeline Anet?

There certainly are. :)

I know this is digging, but I hope the PvE uses of DH Longbow are being reviewed. Feels strange to have a spec that gains access to a new ranged weapon, whom universally never use it in fractals/raids in preference to our other ranged weapon (Scepter).

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very broad question here you may not be able to answer (or already has been). Does your balance team follow a waterfall or agile methodology (or neither)? From the outside it seems sort of waterfall with the release dates between balance patches. It could be doing agile though (make changes in two weeks, test internally, ect.) I'm not really experienced enough of a developer to infer why either would be best. I'm just interested in how it's gone about organizing something as daunting as balance for an MMO. I wouldn't even know where to start myself.

• ArenaNet Staff

@apharma.3741 said:How long will we be looking at for balance patches at the moment if an unintended consequence of tomorrows balance patch makes something very unfun to play against where you see it stacked 3-4 on almost every team like condition scourge was at Path of Fire launch or condition mirage now?

That question doesn't have an easy answer.

If something mechanically breaks as a result, we hotfix that as soon as we're able to. That means creating a fix, getting it tested and having a hotfix build prepared for it.If something is unfun/less fun, that's much harder to measure and really subjective. We try to get appropriate changes out as soon as the next standard build.

@apharma.3741 said:How long will we be looking at for balance patches at the moment if an unintended consequence of tomorrows balance patch makes something very unfun to play against where you see it stacked 3-4 on almost every team like condition scourge was at Path of Fire launch or condition mirage now?

That question doesn't have an easy answer.

If something mechanically breaks as a result, we hotfix that as soon as we're able to. That means creating a fix, getting it tested and having a hotfix build prepared for it.If something is unfun/less fun, that's much harder to measure and really subjective. We try to get appropriate changes out as soon as the next standard build.

Thanks for the info.

@"TotallyNotJazzie.1493" said:Is there a possibility of future reworks in the pipeline Anet?

There certainly are. :)

What about elementalist? Currently, there is no "right" way to balance it without it leading up to broken skills or they not working the way they are supposed to, as a whole. I'd love for meteor shower to just be something like a stronger lava font or some sort.

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:We wanted to give everyone a heads up that we’ve got a balance patch releasing tomorrow.

Since the last update targeted underwater balance and the deadeye in particular, we’ve been listening to your feedback and are addressing some of the issues raised about each of those. There has also been a broad effort to target outliers traits and abilities on each profession.

We look forward to seeing you in game!

Many of us, including myself, have been giving strong feedback about how to change Deadeye for the better. Speaking from a PvE (Raids, Fractals) point of view, Deadeye only needs:

• DPS - Bonus Damage scaling of Malicious Attacks increased from 10% to 15%
  • Support - Fire for Effect to grant 10 Might for 18 seconds.

These two changes would put Dagger/Dagger Deadeye into a strong niche of high single target with low cleave for a DPS build while the changes to Fire for Effect would allow for a Might provider that isn't Druid without a massive opportunity cost.

I really hope the balance team has been listening to all of the posters that have contributed so much - from evidence about WvW to Raid DPS rankings - in the Thief forums.

I have my fingers crossed.

Archived