Do you enjoy map completion? Why or why not?

Honestly, map completion is a great way to gather materials and gain xp, but it's very tedious. I usually turn off game sound while doing it and listen to YouTube videos or an Audiobook instead.Last time I needed to do it for a Legendary, though, I did it with a friend. That made it much more fun and enjoyable. Even more so when we made the hearts a race.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it a fun thing to do sometimes. The rewards however tend to be disappointing.

As I have played the game longer, I find map completion much less interesting. Exploration is not fun when you do it the second time. Surely not on the fourth time.

Also, something about the exploration in PoF and LWS4 rubs me off the wrong way. It is much less interesting that it was before.

No. Why? Because after the first time (assuming you at least did it without guides first time, searching (mostly) for everything yourself) this part isn't a game any longer, but a chore. And imo a chore-like activities in game (anything that makes you repeat some pattern to easily get a guaranteed result) is just a game-design kind of fault and must be avoided whenever possible.

It was OK the first time. It wasn't nearly as fun the 2nd time, and even less the 3rd time... You get the picture. After doing it across 8 characters, I haven't found the drive to do it for any more. At my rate of crafting legendaries (only 4 since launch), my supply of Gifts of Exploration should last me for many years to come.

The first time is very enjoyableSecond time onwards gets a little tedious though..Mounts have definitely removed a great deal of that tedium, making map completion much faster and this more enjoyable.. but after several 100% cartographers.. it's something I only really do when the mood hits now.

Some maps like Queensdale and Kessex I find a lot of fun to explore and complete.. but others like Snowden and Timberline tend to be very boring for me.Guess it really depends on the map and my mood.

@Kalendraf.9521 said:It was OK the first time. It wasn't nearly as fun the 2nd time, and even less the 3rd time... You get the picture. After doing it across 8 characters, I haven't found the drive to do it for any more.I can't even imagine what made you to do it even the 2nd time, seeing like you were already disliking it back then. In my case, I can't find enough incentive to do it even 1 time. Usually I just play the map I like, doing events at it (at least it's real game-like content) and exploring it, for the sake of curiosity; don't usually do hearts, unless they naturally are filled while I do events. Then, when I've got bored with the map, and see the completion is almost done (85-90%), I may invest some effort into it, if I really feel blue. Otherwise I just move to another map.

Can't even imagine why people do all those chores on purpose. Somebody wrote something about relaxing this way, but if I feel like doing some boring repetitions to relax a bit, instead of playing a game, I just move to my piano and start practicing, or clean my house. At least these chores make some sense.

I find map completion to be an enjoyable way to farm Black Lion Keys that keeps turning up new locations I hadn't really noticed. I stopped taking the same route on each map every time I went through, and just started going where I felt like going.There are, of course, maps and hearts that I try and get out of the way first because they are annoying. Used to be Lornar's Pass was my least favorite map, but having a Springer mount made a big difference there.

I just liked exploring, so I did 100% map completion on something like 4 or 5 characters. I haven't done any more since though, because repeating the same activities too many times can get a bit boring. Much the same reason why I don't go to the HoT maps anymore.

My first map completion was back when WvW was still in the mix. It took me almost 6 weeks before my server went green and I was able to get the tall spire. At that time, I hated everything about it. Only did it to make a legendary great sword.Since that time, I have done 25 map completions.The second time was to have the enjoyment of it.After that, it became a chore.Some characters, I made, insta leveled and then set off for map complete.Mainly to get the reward so I could make a legendary.Over time, I found that while I enjoy running around maps, doing it all at one time, sort of sucks.It takes the enjoyment away.So now, I do map complete in small doses.I will normally run a character around each map, to get the wp, then at a later date, do the map.I have found, for me, small doses of map complete are easier to digest.I actually went about 6 months between map completes because I got burn out.I burned out because I did 6 map completes in 7 weeks, from zero to 100%.My way of doing now, allows me to enjoy it, without the heavy burn out.

I enjoy it because (1) it's relaxing (admittedly, others may find it boring); (2) I do a lot of gathering along the way; (3) I run into a diverse collection of players across the various maps; (4) finally.... it's a part of a larger set of activities for me—I bounce around a lot—HoT, PoF, WvW, LW maps for currency, fractals, and mapping. I'm always moving around within the game.

I enjoy it and find it relaxing, to the point where I've completed it on 13 characters and am working through on another. Even one of the first things I do with a new character is complete all the LW3 maps (except Doric because those hearts are brutal and mobs hit annoyingly hard). I also have ADHD and get frustrated if I'm watching something that isn't fully engaging, so map completion gives me something to do with my hands and absorbs excess focus. I've tried doing this with other games or drawing and nothing else has come close.

I've also stopped grinding maps from 0-100% in one go, since I found that made things worse. I'll just hop into a map I haven't done, grab WP's and POI's and any quick hearts and move on. Usually I leave a map at 50%-75% and come back later to finish up. This also helped me move away from getting stressed over spending ~1 hour doing a map and not getting a key. Now if I don't get a key it's nbd because I "only" spent ~20 minutes on said map.

It's also a nice way to gather mid tier mats and it never hurts to have excess GoE's sitting around when you flip legendaries.

I liked map completion in Guild Wars. In most of GW2 I like it, also. However, I rarely play lengthy sessions. So, I prefer exploration I can accomplish by myself. Thus, I dislike when exploration objectives are gated behind completion of some group thing which may not even be up during that play session -- or the next several.

Sometimes. I don't mind doing Orr, Hot, SW or any map that doesn't have hearts. So many of the hearts are such a boring process (I really loathe the PoF/LS4 repeatable hearts. Taking something tedious and forcing it to be repeated any time an achievement or whatever needs it later makes it 100x more tedious).

I play since beta, and I always have a toon working out world completion. The first times I did it (3 times), WvW was still part of it and we had no mounts. Believe me, in comparison, world completion as is today is a piece of cake ! =)

For me, this is a side activity with low priority. I dedicate a toon to it, usually one who is working out a weapon achievement. When I have something to do in explorable (events for example), I take this toon and aside of my main objective, I also take the time to do the pois, vistas and heart quests near the location where I am. How much I do depends on motivation. I never force it. With time passing by, world is completing here and there, bits by bits. When I reach 80% done, I then give it a bit more focus by completing unfinished things dispatched all over the world. Out of all the methods I tried over the years (area by area, east to west, regions by regions, ....), this one is the least boring to me. I keep my fun at it and it is always nice to get a BL chest key. :)