“Not like WoW”? False, this game is competing with WoW

Trying to be noticed i see, i'll bite.GW2 combat is at least more dynamic than WoW and i know that people have different opinions on what make mmorpg combat "dynamic", but i prefer having less skills with limited skill slot than 20 skills that do slightly higher damage with same animations.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't play World of Warcraft.I have never played World of Warcraft.I don't want to play World of Warcraft.I'm 284.93% NOT interested in World of Warcraft.I will never be interested in that game.I've played the Guild Wars franchise since 2005.They aren't the same to me, ever.Please stop trying to get me to play that cartoonish game, because you will never get me to.

I love gw2 the more i play it, only thing that gets me is the wait for content patches. But i can understand in a f2p game its going to be a bit longer in between new stuff. But the beauty of gw2 is i can go and play wow for a bit or w/e game and come back and not feel like i have to start all over. With wow if i left for a few months and came back i was far behind and had to race to catch up. WoW is a behemoth of a game no doubt, but its a treadmill also that you pay for. So with that said if you miss some time you feel cheated because you pay and now you are left behind. But if it ever went f2p it would definitely be the biggest game in the world for an mmo. But it couldnt sustain f2p because of how much it costs to maintain.

The classic similarity game its like Coke (WoW) vs Pepsi (GW2) or Ford (WoW) vs Chevy (GW2). Yes they are similar to each other in a lot of ways, but each has its niche in the market. They are competitors and always will be. Hate to say this but if WoW did not exist GW2 probably wouldn't either in fact the creators of GW2 had worked for Blizzard at one time. They created Battle net and other features used in WoW and other blizzard games today. They even suggested to blizzard to use the Buy to play concept. With the buy to play concept you can keep GW or GW2 or even both on your computer while other subscription based titles run alongside of them.

@"Ballistic.2570" said:I can't believe people are saying it's a doom and gloom thread because the OP pointed out that 2 MMOs are competing with each other. GW2 is also in competition with ESO and FF14. Oh the horror!

To be fair, XIV has my attention much more nowadays. :pBut I still check in when something happens, like a festival, LW drop, or balance patch. Still in my guild's Discord to keep in touch, still logging in every (other) day.I still like my characters in game, I'm just having a hard time deciding what to do with them that isn't "grind materials for legendaries."

Counter argument, Warcraft has stolen many ideas from GW 2 and added it half baked, so the GW 2 feels like WoW, cause WoW copied GW 2. M+, "world quests", farming nodes for everyone, story instances, server links, making the combat more action oriented and more added but badly in warcraft.

@Brother.1504 said:The reasons gw2 is different then Warcraft have been stated so many times over the years. I’ll humour you with a few differences that pop into mind.

Gw2 doesn’t lock you out of your characters if you don’t pay your sub or gold equivalent. Wow does.

trueGw2 has never increased the level cap. Wow does every expansion and now they even need to squish levels due to issues.

trueAs a player of gw2 since beta leveling is trivial. I make a new alt, click some tomes and bang I’m max level. Open a few stored boxes and I’m max geared. Warcraft the leveling experience is a feature of their content but everyone’s goal is to rush through it quickly because let’s face it, leveling sucks.

false, leveling is for some an experiance that balongs to games with levels.ifAnet wanted to trivalize leveling they could just as much remove levels and put it all on the same level.Game play style. Gw2 people play as they want. I’ve been in guilds that focus on wvw, or spvp, or world boss trains, social guilds, musical guilds focusing on the instrument toys, casual PvX guilds, exploration guilds, raiding guilds, for profit guilds that people pay in game currency to get a carry, etc, etc. Warcraft you level then you raid. Or you don’t progress your character.

false, you can still play as they want, just because you only care about end-game doesn't mean everyone else does.I could go on but hopefully you get the point.

Technically any game that competes for my gaming time is in competition with GW2. I stopped playing Blizzard games when they started charging by month. That means I left them after Warcraft 3. I've been gaming since the Atari days and will not ever move to the monthly subscription model. If GW2 continues to not charge a subscription fee they will continue to have an advantage over WoW regardless of thier product's quality.

Everything I stated is true. Leveling is trivial when you can literally roll a new alt and be in a raid with max gear in under 30 minutes. You can’t do that in Warcraft.

As far as playing the way you want in Warcraft, you’ll always be limited by the gear treadmill. Or resign yourself to being subpar in item level and left behind the curb. It’s just the facts of that game.

I’m not dissing WoW, loads of people like that game. I’m just of the opinion that gw2 is a very different experience and definitely not a wow clone.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:How do I become a paid shill for GW2, cause that sounds AWESOME. I'd do that kitten in a heartbeat.

~5 years of reliable media content, with a strong reputation, desirable audience, and a knack for improvisation. Helps if you also have a Twitch or YouTube channel, but it's not necessary. Maybe some sort of degree in communications and/or business marketing.

@Mortifera.6138 said:I can’t believe people still say this game is not like WoW. That it caters to a different audience. That may have been true at one point, but everything since HoT has been to make this game more like WoW. They catered to hardcore players, added raids, added mounts, added grind for legendary gears, added the Skyscale grind.... No one even talks about the Manifesto anymore. So yes, this game is like WoW. Yes, they are competing.

see and that is where you are wrong, just because one company is competing with the other does not mean they are like there competitor. Guild wars 2 is far from what world of warcraft is, comparing world of warcraft to guild wars 2 is like comparing an apple to an orange yes they may be both fruits but they each have there own taste and design. Guild wars 2 is designed far differently from World of warcrafts lack of talent as where guild wars 2 actually has talent working on there game. There's also a ton of features that Guild wars 2 has that World of warcraft doesn't. Cause trust me No one and I mean no one at this point is trying to become or be like world of warcraft as it is not the end all be all mmorpg anymore or the number one mmorpg anymore. World of warcraft is now seen as a joke that many are already working on superceding and if i'm not mistaking gw2 has more active accounts than world of warcraft has subscriptions, same goes for final fantasy who has probably more subs than WoW now, as world of warcraft keeps flushing itself further down the toilet.

@maddoctor.2738 said:Does it have dodge now?Can you move while casting all abilities?Does it put an emphasis on active defenses instead of defensive stats to mitigate damage?Did they remove the ability to target allies in order to send them healing/buffs?Did they, finally, remove the global skill cooldown?Is experience and loot shared now among those that hit mobs?Did they remove the gear treadmill from World of Warcraft?

If the answer to all the above isn't a yes then I'm not sure how anyone can say the two games are similar.

I much prefer GW2 to WoW but did want to answer some of these since I've played the other game recently (and let my sub lapse because it just didn't hold my interest like it used to).

1. No
  2. No, much to the displeasure of most of the playerbase. Shaman class got hit even harder than before.
  3. Some classes do, but I played tanks mostly so I can't answer in depth.
  4. Unsure, since I hardly played support or healing classes.
  5. No. It got WORSE. The forums basically exploded when the GCD became more restrictive.
  6. As of Legion, yes. Finally. Made things much friendlier and people are less afraid to jump in and help out with mobs. Way more group oriented and casual friendly in that regard. You don't even have to group up to get credit for the mobs you attack together.
  7. Treadmill still activated!

What I noticed is that a lot of QOL already found in GW2 has been added to WoW. Makes for a smoother experience, but it still wasn't enough to keep my sub, at least continuously.

nope, totally target different audiences

• WoW, SWToR, BDO, etc are linear progression where you just face roll everything lower level content or poorly geared players than you as long as there is no real cap to the ceiling; yes, i do respect the fact that there are a group of people, possible large base of the MMO players enjoy face roll and 1 shot everything
  • GW2, once you get L80 and fitted out with Ascended gears, it is practice, practice and keep on practice and get good

for me personally, i got tired to continue grind to the artificial temporary ceilings in WoW with every expansion and every patchwith Guild Wars I can take a year tour around the world, and come back and still be relevant, just bit rusty skill and senses wise

@"The Greyhawk.9107" said:Almost none of use took the manifesto too seriously, even former crazed fanboys like myself. Any company, gaming or otherwise, is going to make promises and exaggerate and all that horseshit. And kitten does change over time, its been 7 years since GW2 came out and even longer since the Manifesto video. A lot of the people that were with Anet at the time have left. All that said, I am personally inclined to think that Anet did come pretty close to the designs and philosophies laid out in the manifesto, and have stay fairly close as time has gone by. I have my criticisms, and I've been vocal about them, but I still do enjoy this game a great deal.

So many people say that, but to me that just smacks of the sort of after-the-fact rationalisation done in the hopes of distancing oneself from a group in order to mitigate feelings of shame over something bad, "Oh I knew it all along, even if I got on board the hype train, spent a lot of money on gems, expansions, character slots etc. Huge fanboy, but even so - I was never fooled(and an therefore better and more intelligent than others who also invested). I threw my money away assuming I was being lied to and still gave it over gladly(because...?) But hey, at least I'm not as dumb and gullible as those others over there -those clods actually took somebody at their word and believed the manifesto was going to stick. Who does that anymore? Hahaha...haha...ha..."

Not putting words in your mouth mind, but that's how it comes across every time I read that sort of thing. Point is there's nothing wrong admitting to feeling you've been had or even being a little angry about it. After all the shame doesn't lay with those taken in, but with those who've played them false.

And yes, while things do change over time, generally they tend not to change in such wide-sweeping fashion, not such that a company does nearly a complete reversal from their professed mission statement.

@crepuscular.9047 said:nope, totally target different audiences

• WoW, SWToR, BDO, etc are linear progression where you just face roll everything lower level content or poorly geared players than you as long as there is no real cap to the ceiling; yes, i do respect the fact that there are a group of people, possible large base of the MMO players enjoy face roll and 1 shot everything

• GW2, once you get L80 and fitted out with Ascended gears, it is practice, practice and keep on practice and get good

for me personally, i got tired to continue grind to the artificial temporary ceilings in WoW with every expansion and every patchwith Guild Wars I can take a year tour around the world, and come back and still be relevant, just bit rusty skill and senses wise

lol, i have played them all, i bet many other players have done the sameBDO didnt last long though, they prolly have the worst story in mmos

@battledrone.8315 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:nope, totally target different audiences

lol, i have played them all, i bet many other players have done the sameBDO didnt last long though, they prolly have the worst story in mmos

i aint even sure there's a proper storyline (?), i think the last part of the story was you are in the middle of clearing within forest area, very south of Calpheon, you beat up this guy you met at Heidel got corrupted, Belmorne i think was his name, then there's basically nothing follow up after it?

the additional zones they added are ridiculously inaccessible

• the desert city, barely any players there, all people do there is move their wood boxes there to level up their trading
  • the ocean island, you are basically spending hours to ferry there, and the island is completely abandoned; I only went there to fishing to fill the knowledge book and try to get S rank for npc knowledge

@ugrakarma.9416 said:WoW graphics is fugly and childish, what they are competing for? the 12yo(or less) playerbase? im gonna felling like a kitten playing that.

I find GW2 somewhat more childish since the introduction of bunny ears, sun glasses, etcImmersion was never a strenght for WoW, but GW2 became worse.This is one of the 2 things that make WoW my favorite between the two. The other is the fact that my resto shaman is always accepted in every content (dungeons, raids, bg, arena ...) - the only content where a spec might not be accepted is mythic dungeon, and it is still not common - while when I played GW2 my support guardian was not always accepted (despite the game said it was a defensive support class during the creation character).

Blizzard and Arenanet has an history. Arenanet founders Wyatt, Strain and O'Brien where all working for Blizzard when they left and started Arenanet. So it is obvious that, atleast at first, they wanted to do something different. Wyatt and Strain went onwards to different positions in the gaming industry and to genre's further away from the MMORPG genre.

I disagree that GW1 and 2 have been competing specifically with WoW. They are the lead game in the genre and so they look at WoW, but it is not a real competition. What does worry me is a change of direction after HoTBefore HoT and in the manifesto, Arenanet aimed to do things better then WoW. Something they also did in GW1. I remember that the success of GW1 came with factions and the title system in it. It draw out a lot of WoW players, as it solved the need for a reward for the grind between content releases. Blizzard quickly introduced titles in WoW as well to counter it. It wasn't the first time that GW1 and 2 where revolutionising. Going free2play was another one. Ohters had done it before, but it was basically a very crippled version of the game. F2P GW2 is very much playable and enjoyable.

Arenanet was boundbreaking. They didn't care about what an MMO was supposed to be or do, but focussed on what they see best for a game. By looking and imrpoving things from other games, but also by their own innovations. That part is gone it seems and I miss it.

Speaking of Patrick Wyatt. A few years ago, he ended up at Amazon game studio's. They recently announced they are working on a new Lord of the Rings MMORPG, so it seems that once more after TERA he is in direct competition with Arenanet and Mike O'Brien. Something that shows some promising signs for the future of this genre.

@BlueJin.4127 said:

@Scipion.7548 said:I find GW2 somewhat more childish since the introduction of bunny ears, sun glasses, etc

www.wowhead.com/item=44803/spring-circletwww.wowhead.com/item=52489/rhinestone-sunglasses

Since before GW2 even launched.

It is true but I rarely see WoW players wearing that, while on GW2 it is sadly very common. My immersion is always broken because of this.

I dont really understand why people say gw2 is great because you dont need to grind, but that is what most people do, just take a look on how populated are the farming maps : Istan pre-nerf, dragonfall, SW.In gw2 we dont grind for gear, we grind for skins, which is the same thing but more mind numbing and way less rewarding, you just need to faceroll mobs in PvE spamming auto attacks.

WoW maybe doesnt compete with gw2 for the casual pve audience which are interested in open world PvE content and single story mode released every 3 months.But it competes for the hardcore Raiders, WvWers to some extent and casual and hardcore PvPers.Combat mechanics in gw2 are better, but the skill ceilling in wow(classic) is much higher because you need to have a knowledge of the game in general not only on classes, wow is way more complex game compared to gw2 PvE and PvP wise.WoW will not have updates but it's better not have updates than have bad ones.