Why there isnt any guild wars in guild wars ?

While GW2 has moved away from the original game's design by not having PvP modes which have to be played by guilds a lot of WvW groups and PvP teams are guilds. You can play both modes 'solo' with whoever you happen to find to fight with of course, but generally if you want to do more than that the way to do it is to find a WvW or PvP orientated guild which fits your requirements and join them.

@"Ronan.9518" said:And even the first Guild Wars was named after a historical event in Gw-universe and not because you were able to GvG as far as i know. (That could be wrong though)https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

It was a bit of both. In-universe GvG is a continuation of the guild wars, but the governments of Tyria managed to shift the fighting from the mainland to small islands by banning guilds from owning land on the mainland.

Which, if I remember correctly, mirrors the real development process where originally the plan was for guilds to own towns in Tyria like they can in Cantha and would fight over the PvE maps to gain control. That was dropped because it causes various problems, like conflict between PvE and PvP gameplay and the fact that a map designed for questing and exploration isn't necessarily a good PvP arena, and vice versa. So PvP was split out into dedicated arenas and guild hall islands, which are also designed as dedicated arenas.

The name guild wars comes from the original guild wars which I think took place from 1013 AE to 1070 AE (the Third Guild War), when humans banded into guilds and fought against one another. From what I understand that's why in gw1 it only had humans for character creation.

But on a side note gvg died with the last tournament.

@Danikat.8537 said:While GW2 has moved away from the original game's design by not having PvP modes which have to be played by guilds a lot of WvW groups and PvP teams are guilds. You can play both modes 'solo' with whoever you happen to find to fight with of course, but generally if you want to do more than that the way to do it is to find a WvW or PvP orientated guild which fits your requirements and join them.

@"Ronan.9518" said:And even the first Guild Wars was named after a historical event in Gw-universe and not because you were able to GvG as far as i know. (That could be wrong though)

It was a bit of both. In-universe GvG is a continuation of the guild wars, but the governments of Tyria managed to shift the fighting from the mainland to small islands by banning guilds from owning land on the mainland.

Which, if I remember correctly, mirrors the real development process where originally the plan was for guilds to own towns in Tyria like they can in Cantha and would fight over the PvE maps to gain control. That was dropped because it causes various problems, like conflict between PvE and PvP gameplay and the fact that a map designed for questing and exploration isn't necessarily a good PvP arena, and vice versa. So PvP was split out into dedicated arenas and guild hall islands, which are also designed as dedicated arenas.

What Danikat says here is true, the name of the franchise predated the lore that was created for the game, including the Three Guild Wars that took place in the past. Arenanet had a different plan when they first started designing GW1, there is a trailer of sorts they created that shows just how very different, if you can find it. Hard to do these days, its almost lost to time. But the point remains that while the GW franchise wasn't named from GvG, it wasn't named for the Lore Guildwars either.

Never understood why some people get hung up on the literal meaning of the title for this game. I mean does there need to be a world war on crafting in World of Warcraft? There are many examples where, sure, the game has some corresponding theme to the title of what's currently going on in said game plot. This one just has a lore reason for it instead, I see zero issue. Heck a lot of titles have nothing to do with anything other then a fancy sounding name someone thought would be catchy for their new hopeful franchise.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:While GW2 has moved away from the original game's design by not having PvP modes which have to be played by guilds a lot of WvW groups and PvP teams are guilds. You can play both modes 'solo' with whoever you happen to find to fight with of course, but generally if you want to do more than that the way to do it is to find a WvW or PvP orientated guild which fits your requirements and join them.

@"Ronan.9518" said:And even the first Guild Wars was named after a historical event in Gw-universe and not because you were able to GvG as far as i know. (That could be wrong though)

What Danikat says here is true, the name of the franchise predated the lore that was created for the game, including the Three Guild Wars that took place in the past. Arenanet had a different plan when they first started designing GW1, there is a trailer of sorts they created that shows just how very different, if you can find it. Hard to do these days, its almost lost to time. But the point remains that while the GW franchise wasn't named from GvG, it wasn't named for the Lore Guildwars either.

Yes and no, it was named for the Lore more than it was for the in-game GvG, and that's taken directly from several developer quotes about the first game...well, if we want to get technical it's taken directly from quotes by the 3 original starting owners of GW, but most people forget that stuff today, and no, I'm not going to look them up for people.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"witcher.3197" said:Because 2 of the 3 founders of Anet cared deeply about PvP, and both of them left the company early into GW2's development leaving us with MO who envisioned a casual friendly carebear PvE MMO with dragons instead but they were stuck with the name.

Source? Or is this sarcasm?

Nah it's not sarcasm, it's common knowledge that the other 2 founders left by 2009 (Patrick Wyatt and Jeff Strain) and the last time we've heard about GvG in GW2 was when Jeff Strain was interviewed. From the interview we learned that:

Due to their love of e-sport and as an alternative to the relaxed World PvP, guild battles (GvG) will be present in Guild Wars 2 as well.

Then he left and Anet scrapped both the PvP focus and GvG altogether.

Source: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_The_Status_Quo

As with many franchises the name just remianed be cause it was known. GW1 was planned to mainly play GvG battles. Then later adding all the PvE stuff they retconned it a bit with a historical event called the guild wars (ppl already posted links) and for whatever reason they didn't want to add this in GW2 but the franchise remained. It was never really a good name imho, but who cares.

@"Ronan.9518" said:And even the first Guild Wars was named after a historical event in Gw-universe and not because you were able to GvG as far as i know. (That could be wrong though)https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_WarsThat's actually not completely true. Yes, there is an in-world historical event called Guild Wars that is used as an explanation for the name, but the real reason for it is that GW1 was originally supposed to be a primarily PvP game with a pve teaching lobby (the lore to explain the name came later). That idea didn't even last till the launch of the game, though (turns out players were far more interested in the pve aspect than in pvp one), but by that point it was already too late for any name changes.

Gw2 sort of inherited it, but by the point that game was envisioned, the original reason for the name was no longer relevant.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

Yes and no, it was named for the Lore more than it was for the in-game GvG, and that's taken directly from several developer quotes about the first game...well, if we want to get technical it's taken directly from quotes by the 3 original starting owners of GW, but most people forget that stuff today, and no, I'm not going to look them up for people.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to outright refuse to provide citation like that then I have no reason to believe that your source exists.

@"Snifaren.9021" said:I think in a game called guild wars and even if wasnt called that should be actually WARS between guilds on land and on treasure it will make the guild far bigger issue in the game

Because when the game came out, the people who were designing it did not like the original game.. They were focused on a very casual PvE experience and hoped WvW would catch the Warhammer online Refugees and that PvP would make up for guild/alliance battles. Neither is the case, I mean hell in launch we didn't have guild halls or guild missions it was literally "Have a guild to hang out, but otherwise its worthless."

@"Westenev.5289" said:For as long as this game is called guild wars, people will find the lack of guild content updates ironic. This is because the guild wars are something you wouldn't know about unless you checked the wiki or played gw1 (it wasn't really relevant there, either).

Not having played GW1, I wouldn't know, but you're definitely not the first person I've heard mention that even GW1 didn't really give people much lore backing to the "Guild Wars" concept.

As a new player 4-5 years ago, after I first found out what the "guild wars" actually were, I used to think it would be a good idea to introduce that concept by somehow throwing in an explanation of it into every new character intro cinematic. But over the years, I've come to appreciate just how deeply human-centric that story is, and while something like that might have worked in GW1, I really don't think there's a smart way to pull that off in GW2.

Honestly I think the best thing would be to have more city and starter area NPCs mention them, and if a new player gets curious enough to talk to one of them, they can be directed to the Priory (or whatever more scholarly npc that area might have) for a racially-themed explanation of the guild wars.