Account & Character Rollback Issue (5/11/2020) - ANet Response

@Sigerk.2897 said:Can anyone say how they did it last time this happened? How did they deal with the ppl who continued playing vs the people who stopped playing until the rollback was reverted?

Nothing happened last time, everything went back to normal...the question is, is it an EU issue only or EU and US, if it's both then they'd have to wait for the U.S. devs to investigate(remotely, from home). If it's just EU, then the server team in Germany would look into the problem. Do what we did last time, keep playing and don't worry about it, just don't buy anything from the Gem shop...unless people can't control themselves.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You’re assuming that the data would be restored. There was a roll back several years and data was not restored. Only those who purchased things with money got compensated and it was restricted to those transactions. If you had an ultra rare scenario of like a precursor dropping, you could submit a support ticket. Beyond that, nothing else happened.

you are right, but this time it's a 3 day rollback and TP is bugged currently (people are screaming in wvw map for gold lost). The main point of the post is : why the server is still up ? It should be down for maintenance even if there are no backup to restore

The length of the rollback doesn’t matter. If there’s a rollback, it’s likely because there was no other option.

It should only be down if there are integrity issues. An extremely rare case of a rollback is not one of them. You are free to not log into the game for the meantime until you feel that it will be safe for you to play again.

it's not a rare case of rollback (it could happen, i agree with you).. there are many people reporting duplicate items (imagine people with 2x legendary items) and Trading Post is BUGGED : you sell your item for X gold but you don't receive any gold for the transaction: this is a valid reason to put the server offline until the issue is solved ESPECIALLY if no backup will be restored .

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You’re assuming that the data would be restored. There was a roll back several years and data was not restored. Only those who purchased things with money got compensated and it was restricted to those transactions. If you had an ultra rare scenario of like a precursor dropping, you could submit a support ticket. Beyond that, nothing else happened.

you are right, but this time it's a 3 day rollback and TP is bugged currently (people are screaming in wvw map for gold lost). The main point of the post is : why the server is still up ? It should be down for maintenance even if there are no backup to restore

The length of the rollback doesn’t matter. If there’s a rollback, it’s likely because there was no other option.

It should only be down if there are integrity issues. An extremely rare case of a rollback is not one of them. You are free to not log into the game for the meantime until you feel that it will be safe for you to play again.

Well if they don't restore it, my 45 character will have to sit in mothballs, as I won't waste any more time on a game that can't be maintained properly.

@Azala Yar.7693 said:

Well if they don't restore it, my 45 character will have to sit in mothballs, as I won't waste any more time on a game that can't be maintained properly.

I have a feeling that you’ll still be playing regardless.

@adramhel.1493 said:

it's not a rare case of rollback (it could happen, i agree with you).. there are many people reporting duplicate items (imagine people with 2x legendary items) and Trading Post is BUGGED : you sell your item for X gold but you don't receive any gold for the transaction: this is a valid reason to put the server offline until the issue is solved ESPECIALLY if no backup will be restored .

They can just shut down the TP. There’s no need to shutdown the entire game.

I have read about a rollback years ago 2016 ... which seemed to have been intentional. According to the news there were som issues with soulbound items and stuff ... where a patch introduced bugs and they had intentionally rolled 1 day back or so ... to fix it.

Now this is not intentional. They might fix it if there is a back up from directly before the rollback happend. Could also be the case that the rollback was the latest backup (and later stuff crashed and it automatically rolled back to that).

I doubt stuff like precursor (which got lost by rollback) can be restored by support manually - as there would not be any data if everything is lost. (While on the rollback years ago where it seemd intentional they probably had the data when the manally decided to roll it back.)

@"Zaklex.6308" said:Nothing happened last time, everything went back to normal...the question is, is it an EU issue only or EU and US, if it's both then they'd have to wait for the U.S. devs to investigate(remotely, from home). If it's just EU, then the server team in Germany would look into the problem. Do what we did last time, keep playing and don't worry about it, just don't buy anything from the Gem shop...unless people can't control themselves.

Easy enough for you to say but unless you know where you stand it is difficult to know what to do in game. I am unsure exactly what I have lost and to work it out will take some time. There are also questions that need answering such as "will I get back any of what was lost"? before I know what I am going to do now. "Keep playing" is really a bit of a daft suggestion at this time.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

If you think that, then you should really not rely on your feelings.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

In this scenario should be better to shut down the entire game, we're not aware if there are other issues in the game (as i said, people have duplicated items). Anyway, you agree with me, the managing is poor if the dont shut down even the TP

5 p.m. GMT+1 (Central European Time) coming around. With it soon the EU prime time with Monday raids etc.

Hope who ever is in charge over at Anet keeps that in mind. A ton of players soon to come on, about to discover what has happened (well all those which haven't been told yet by friends).

Also a ton of players who would get rather annoyed IF their progress of today gets wiped (if the weekend wipe doesn't already put them in a bad mood). Let's see how long until someone in charge decides that taking at least EU offline might be a good idea.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Donutdude.9582" said:

You're welcome.

Saw that already but it doesn't really address that the game is for some reason still online, and people are still being allowed to waste progress.

Shut down didn't happen with the last roll back either, so why would they with this one?

Maybe because the last roll back (which erased 2h of game progress) was an intentional one in order to fix a bug introduced by a patch. This roll back (which erased a whole week-end of game progress) was not intentional though.

@BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372 said:

@"Donutdude.9582" said:

You're welcome.

Saw that already but it doesn't really address that the game is for some reason still online, and people are still being allowed to waste progress.

Shut down didn't happen with the last roll back either, so why would they with this one?

Maybe because the last roll back (which erased 2h of game progress) was an intentional one in order to fix a bug introduced by a patch. This roll back (which erased a whole week-end of game progress) was not intentional though.

Intentional or not doesn’t matter unless there’s a high risk of it occurring again. With how rare rollbacks occur, this is very unlikely.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Donutdude.9582" said:

You're welcome.

Shut down didn't happen with the last roll back either, so why would they with this one? If it was just the EU servers they don't need to wait for the U.S. employees to wake up, I'm pretty sure they have staff in the EU data center to take care of it.

The main issue here is not only the rollback on EU. It's the fact that EU and NA share a trading post. Which leads to very quirky interactions, pretty much all not in favor of EU players. Having this continue, while maybe further actions have to be taken, even if only on EU side, poses even greater problems.

Also the time frame this time is far larger than last time.

One thing to look at that is important... Gems. I'm sure my gems doesn't total what it should. Some of the things I'd bought with Gems have been rolled back, but I don't think all the Gems have - not sure how I can even check.I really don't feel like playing till it's fixed. I spent a long time this weekend getting my cooking to 499. So close to 500. But it took a lot of work and ascended crafting to get there.

Is it all of EU accounts or just some? Do we know?