Reactions to the Finale, Judgment [Poll]

What is your reaction to the finale?  

320 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the ending to the Icebrood Saga, Champions - Chapter 4: Judgment?

• Very Positive
    • Positive
    • Neutral
    • Negative
    • Very Negative

Devs August 2019: We're gonna do another LW season saga instead of an expansion, but don't worry it'll be expansion level content.

Devs April 2021: Here's another 20 mins of instanced content and another pointless mastery - but hey, you got all those repetitive achievements to grind so that'll keep you busy...

If that was expansion-level content then I don't want to know what they've got planned for EOD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I wish that ArenaNet just left the elder dragons alone for now (with the skeleton crew working on IBS) and deal with them one by one in future expansions. Only that would have paid respect to the greatness and majesticy of these Elder Dragons.

Many of us are sick and tired of the Elder Dragons dominating one storyline after another (Taimi: "Oh look, my instruments are running wild again!" - Commander: "Shut up already!").

I, for one, am glad that we will be done with them and finally able to hopefully move on to something more appealing.

• Like 1

Enough was delivered for me to believe it was time to end the dragons. (I also thought Game of Thrones’ ending was brilliant in that it teaches the audience you don’t always get what you want, though Jon and Tormund were the OTP.)

Primordous can be sold as the ultimate destroyer and needed to be stopped before he got going.  There would be no talking to him.

Jormag talked a good game but was just as bad. 
It was time.  It was a beautiful finale and Primordous looked great. 
However, Yes, this buries so many story threads for the norn, asura, dwarves, and Kodan, that it was cruel to bring them into the story, and further cruel not to give them a moment after. 
That this wraps up in 15 minutes in contrast to dragonfall, dragon stand, and drizzle wood also is not the ANet standard expected. 

People are miffed over what this seems to indicate for the story and what the writers think about the story and lore. If we can just hand wave away all the lore and plot points away in approximately 30 minutes, then why does anything matter?

What was the point of the Eye of the North expansion all those years ago? Why did we have to stop the Great Destroyer? Why did we get the bow? Why did we resist and kill Balthazar? Why did we return to the Eye? Why did we gather together all these different factions?

The whole thing was solved because, ley lines? Oh but the characters are acting out of character now and doing the very thing they said they wouldn't do, how convenient.

Now we may never see the depths of Tyria, we may never see the old Asuran world, the skritt and where the dwarves fought the destroyers the first time around.

Why does anything matter if we squash all the established stories? We might as well be back to shooting the dragons in the face again because nothing happens after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, rrusse.7058 said:

Now we may never see the depths of Tyria, we may never see the old Asuran world, the skritt and where the dwarves fought the destroyers the first time around.

Adding to that, we probably won't even go into the ocean depths either to fight Sea Dragon.. will end up being a lets lure it onto land with some miracle solution scenario we magically come up with at the last minute again..
No water maps, no Quaggan, Krait and Largos home regions to explore.. no need what so ever to fix up the water combat that is in dire need of some TLC..

I really want to get excited about this last dragon but I just can't right now.. not after how the last two went out.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Denial phase: When Aurene can come back to live after being impaled by crystals, then Jormag and Primordis can come back after their kissing incident.

Neither Primordus nor Jormag have Joko's Lich magic, which was the reason that Aurene was able to revive herself.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 5

It would be better to get nothing before the EoD or get EoD not this/next year, but much, much later. This was an Icebrood Saga, an expansion level content, and we got something even smaller than usual LW. Jormag suddenly stopped be smart and cautious, became just a foolish suicide brat. Lost everything that was in their character.

Primordus... Is just... Argh. I was waiting for asuran lore, for depth of the Tyria. Kittens, for skritts' lore! And we have like a couple of minutes of the Primordus face and a Taimi line long ago "We have lost everything!". That's all asura had, and we already knew that we lost everything because of Primordus, thank you very much.

This chapter in particular is much shorter than every chapter before. All we got were 2 instances, two short battle. And that's all. This is not a conclusion of the saga, this is some kind of a cruel joke. Battle of two elder dragons, who unsuccessfully fought long ago, fought so hard, that Jormag was still bleeding? Booped—kissed—nuked. This isn't even a battle. This is some dragons' mating went wrong.

Edited by nopinopa.4861
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nopinopa.4861 said:

(...)

Primordus... Is just... Argh. I was waiting for asuran lore, for depth of the Tyria. Kittens, for skritts' lore! And we have like a couple of minutes of the Primordus face and a Taimi line long ago "We have lost everything!". That's all asura had, and we already knew that we lost everything because of Primordus, thank you very much.

(...)

But we got a funny, unisono "we have research to do!", which seems to be all the lore they want to provide for asura. Funny researchers, they are all so weird and cute...!🥴

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Many of us are sick and tired of the Elder Dragons dominating one storyline after another (Taimi: "Oh look, my instruments are running wild again!" - Commander: "Shut up already!").

I, for one, am glad that we will be done with them and finally able to hopefully move on to something more appealing.

If there is more content after EoD I'll be genuinely surprised. I think WP is correct when he said even Anet is tired of this game. How long can they keep going after all the elder dragons are dead?

• Sad 2

That first poll did have some colorful language to describe bad, although it wasn't any kind of swear word or anything. But I do remember seeing someone claim that the poll selections were edited at some point (changing the attitude of it after people voted for it), so maybe that shouldn't be allowed..

I feel like, however, instead of using some kind of thermonuclear plot device on them, Anet should have concocted some kind of epic bus for them to ship them off into dead plot land. They already teased then punted Primordus in season 3, and they did send the human gods on a road trip to a place far far away in "Path of Fire". Maybe such narrative measure could be seen as farcical, because how can these dragons be written to simply not matter any more. But perhaps such a farce wouldn't be as bad as this disappointment.

But you know. Killing  a character doesn't even have to be the end of their story. Vlast's first development as a character in PoF was dying, but we did get some more of his story after that. Ah, what is this optimism. Laughing at myself... more named character are functional dead in this story than have actually died after all.

Edited by PseudoNewb.5468

Much like my disappointment with how they rushed and shoehorned in an ending for Lazarus, I am disappointed here.

Then I think back to how ANET wanted to move to GW2 from 1 because of challenges and all they really did in the end was exchange one set for another and story releases that some of us have been invested in for over a decade at this point being treated like this makes one not very happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2021 at 5:26 AM, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I feel sad. Such a waste of story potential.

Not that the mission itself was bad. The mechanics were nice, the visuals were nice. And if it was just a struggle between the dragon champions in absence of the Elder Dragons themselves it would be a nice prelude for things to come.

But this? This was too easy. And I don't mean the mission difficulty. I mean to end the epic story of Primordis en Jormag this way. I was so hyped for the awakening of the Elder Dragons after I saw the end of Guild Wars: Eye of the North and later the Claw of Jormag world boss. (Where the claw was just a lieutenant of Jormag)

I wish that ArenaNet just left the elder dragons alone for now (with the skeleton crew working on IBS) and deal with them one by one in future expansions. Only that would have paid respect to the greatness and majesticy of these Elder Dragons.

Basically this. I do like the final mission from a gameplay perspective. Visuals are nice, mechanics are nice. But it felt like Primordus never really got a lot of screentime throughout the entire series, despite being the very first Elder Dragon we ever got introduced to. His death and departure reminds me a lot of Lazarus, who basically only showed up for one fight in an instance and then he was gone. The Mursaat deserved a better send-off than that.

I'm also not a big fan of the very expensive/grindy rewards that Champions overall has; it's cast a sour note over everything, and the seeming rarity of the Pristine Dragon Eyes hasn't done a lot to improve my opinion.

• Like 1

I love the cinematic cut scene where the two dragons go at it.

The original fight is ok. I only did it once, solo story mode.

The final fight with Ryland is very anticlimatic. Sure, he is a central character of IBS, but come on! We had two elder dragons annihilate each other. By then, Ryland's part of the story is over. I'd rather have seen him escape and star as a returning villain. Maybe admit defeat and redeem himself as Canach did. Not this. On top of things, that fight was longer and harder (but not difficult) than setting up the two dragons.

That episode was delivered in four installements, something entirely new for the Living Story--or however Marketing decides to brand it. (Brand, Marketing, Kralkatorik . . . there's something about that.). Had the whole Champions episode been delivered at once, the Judgement part would have felt more epic. What we get is "all that for that?" I think of the finale of Season 4. So much more satisfying! I would also add the the grind to bring in the seven (?) allied factions that preceded it all also felt as if it was building up for something more than a zerg of NPCs to distract the two champions of the battlefield from focusing on you.

4 minutes ago, SexyMofo.8923 said:

The lore is beyond buchered at this point. Just throw the entire game in the trash and start work on GW3. 

At this point would be happy with a true GW1 spiritual successor in gameplay style because GW2 sure as dolyak plop isn't it and the fanfic that passes as storytelling at many points throughout the game just doesn't cut it, and every possible story point they setup in EOTN in 2007 to setup this game has been treated with such disrespect from Lazarus and the Mursaat, to Primordus and the Dwarves and Asura, to Livia and the Scepter of Orr. Literally every single one of those premises for this game has been treated horribly.

Not sure I'd want such a successor from ANET at this stage though.

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

A lot of you guys are incredibly ungrateful for what we were provided. Anet went through some major changes over a year ago and then 2020 hit everyone which probably made it even harder on them as a company. Especially given gaming is technically NOT an essential necessity. They didn't have to make any content for us during that time, yet they managed to right on schedule every 2 months.

I will agree some of the story elements could have been improved, and I would've liked to see the 2 elder dragons have bit of a boxing match before they went at each other's throat in the big "clash" during the finale. However as I re-played Dragonstorm, I realized that ending was the BEST possible outcome for the story and the dragons.

I say that because Jormag was pent up on nothing but rage and was sick and tired of being in the shadow of Primordus for so long. So what did Jormag do? Took the kill shot the moment it got one. I completely understood that approach, and it eliminated 2 very big threats that would've needed a much longer storyline to properly outline both dragons had they not chosen to take both out together.

I applaud Anet for getting us the content during one of the hardest years in history. They deserve more credit than people want to ever give them. I love Guild Wars 2, it's my go-to game/thing to do when I need to get my mind off things bothering me in my life. I'm grateful for this game and I'll support it until the day it closes its doors - which I hope isn't for a very long time.

All those threatening Anet and being "entitled" because the story didn't go the way they wanted need to check themselves, or do what they say and find something else to do. I'm sure Anet is under a LOT of pressure to get this new expansion completed for those who are constantly whining at them for new stuff to do, and people still have the guts to call them out for being "incompetent".

Thank you Anet. ❤️

Edit: I knew I'd get laughed at or ridiculed, but I don't care. Just shows who the better person is.

Edited by Caitybee.3614
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 4

On 5/1/2021 at 9:35 PM, rrusse.7058 said:

What was the point of the Eye of the North expansion all those years ago? Why did we have to stop the Great Destroyer?

To stop the Great Destroyer from, you know, destroying everything. It also delayed the awakening of Primordus by some years, which in turn prevented it from being even more powerful.

Why did we get the bow?

Because the legend of Asgeir states that a Jotun magic infused weapon can harm Jormag, so obviously trying to get such a weapon would be beneficial to us. It also put Braham on the path of becoming ready to handle the burned he faces in IBS, which was necessary to take down Jormag.

Why did we resist and kill Balthazar?

Because at the time there was no entity that would replace Kralkatorik, and keep the balance of the world in check. Following Aurene's ascension(which she wasn't ready for during PoF) there is. Letting Baltahzar do what he was trying to do would have destroyed the world as a result, which is obviously bad.

Why did we return to the Eye?

Because Aurene was drawn there by the magics of the scrying pool, and told Ryltock and company to bring you there after Bangar shot you, as she mentions. It also serves as a very useful base of operation in the far north, where Jormag's primary forces are, so its useful for that reason in the war against Jormag.

Why did we gather together all these different factions?

Because Jormag and Primrodus's minions were rampaging all over the world, and the forces of the Pact, which had been severely depleated due to the campaings against Zhaitan, Mordremoth, and Kralkatorrik, not to mention the death of Almorra, stretched them to the point that they couldn't do everything themselves.

The whole thing was solved because, ley lines? Oh but the characters are acting out of character now and doing the very thing they said they wouldn't do, how convenient.

Aurene tried to stay out of it because she believed the balance could be maintained. The ever escalating battles between Jormag and Primrodus across the DRM proved that was impossible, and forced her hand. The PC/Dragon Watch said they wouldn't kill more Elder Dragons becuase they didn't have anything to replace them with, or to control the flow of magic, now they do with Aurene. It wasn't just out of nowhere.

Rata Novus and Thunderhead Peaks.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Rata Novus and Thunderhead Peaks.

Rata Novus isn't the old Asura world, it was founded after the fall of the Quora Sum and the other cities.  Thunderhead isn't in the Depths where the Stone Dwarves held off the Destoryers for years.  Just because we've visited one dwaven or asuran region doesn't mean there isn't value in going to another if those encounters are competently written with new stories and information. 

And people tell me I can't grasp nuance.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Caitybee.3614 said:

A lot of you guys are incredibly ungrateful for what we were provided. Anet went through some major changes over a year ago and then 2020 hit everyone which probably made it even harder on them as a company. Especially given gaming is technically NOT an essential necessity. They didn't have to make any content for us during that time, yet they managed to right on schedule every 2 months.

I will agree some of the story elements could have been improved, and I would've liked to see the 2 elder dragons have bit of a boxing match before they went at each other's throat in the big "clash" during the finale. However as I re-played Dragonstorm, I realized that ending was the BEST possible outcome for the story and the dragons.

I say that because Jormag was pent up on nothing but rage and was sick and tired of being in the shadow of Primordus for so long. So what did Jormag do? Took the kill shot the moment it got one. I completely understood that approach, and it eliminated 2 very big threats that would've needed a much longer storyline to properly outline both dragons had they not chosen to take both out together.

I applaud Anet for getting us the content during one of the hardest years in history. They deserve more credit than people want to ever give them. I love Guild Wars 2, it's my go-to game/thing to do when I need to get my mind off things bothering me in my life. I'm grateful for this game and I'll support it until the day it closes its doors - which I hope isn't for a very long time.

All those threatening Anet and being "entitled" because the story didn't go the way they wanted need to check themselves, or do what they say and find something else to do. I'm sure Anet is under a LOT of pressure to get this new expansion completed for those who are constantly whining at them for new stuff to do, and people still have the guts to call them out for being "incompetent".

Thank you Anet. ❤️

Edit: I knew I'd get laughed at or ridiculed, but I don't care. Just shows who the better person is.

If other companies can do better during the pandemic, then so can ArenaNet. And trust me, I understand what you're saying. Before this release, I was like you, when someone bashed ArenaNet, I used to defend them, even with the Icebrood Saga, saying that they're doing their best etc etc. But this release was just THAT bad. That's why this time they have no excuse.

I understand their situation, really, but if I knew the game story would become this bad, I would have never played Guild Wars 2. I am very very disappointed by this trash end that doesn't do the franchise justice and many other people are as well. It just shows that ArenaNet doesn't care about the story anymore (probably all the people that know the game's lore were fired?) and that they don't care about us people that have been following all the game's story development from 2005 until now. This was literally 90% of what I cared about in this game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1