Does "Legendary armory" imply that having three sets of legendary armor (heavy, medium, light) would cover all possible professions on one's account?

I am not sure but is it mentioned somewhere if the Legendary armory will add up to the functionality of the gear templates? If I have legendary items in the armory, can I still use these items with the templates, without removing them from the armory?

Edited by Evil.1580

9 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

It's just free, no scare quotes needed. 😄 

Seriously, we will talk more about how the Legendary Armory works closer to release, but there is no gem or gold cost to access or use the Legendary Armory. 

Thanks for the precision !

Well, if it was me, I would have put an (ingame) fee of some sort (*). But I respect this decision and I guess it will make many people happy.

(*) either "transmute" legendary rank onto ascended items, or either pay 1 ball of dark Energy to create the legendary copy (so that you retain some kind of value for ascended) or 10 globs of dark matter (so that they finally get some use and slow the value drop of exotics)

The only downside will be: People that might have crafted more than 1 fo the same legendary ... would get annoyed. But I guess those will be a super small minority. (If even some of them exist.)

Because: Same weapon type with different skin: Then you have spend the money to craft it for the skin. (You still have the unique other skin. The ones that only crafted one greatsword will only have one of the legendary skins.)

And I doubt - with that many legendaries available and the high cost - that there are a lot of people that have more than 1 of the exact same legendary. (Maybe temporarily for the one achievement and to get that other greatsword that is crafted by - if i remember correctly - combining 2 other greatsword legendaries.)

So I guess this choice is nice. And I would never have expected a gem cost. Though I had expected it to cost some gold to unlock it (or the individual legendaries) on other characters. Makes it more interesting to get legendaries. And I guess we'll see a rise in prices of resources on the TP then.

12 hours ago, zealex.9410 said:

Theres no gem or gold cost to access or use the loadouts either, the problem ppl have with loadouts is that if you want to expand your pool of loadouts then they are heavily monetised (well that and bugs). This isnt answered by the tweet and its what most ppl would like to see clarified.

Because what will probably be the case is you can store 2 legendary items for free and to get the rest done you will need gems

This thread is unfortunately the result of what build templates, alliances and other empty or poorly communicated promises have done to the trust by players , rewind to LS1/2 era and most people wouldn't even have thought these features might be gem/gold sinks.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Seriously, we will talk more about how the Legendary Armory works closer to release, but there is no gem or gold cost to access or use the Legendary Armory. 

You'll surely understand why the op posted this kind of thread with quotes: we have examples in the past, and our prejudice it's obviously based on those.

Looking forward to see if everything related to this new feature will be completely free 🙂

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

You might want to explicitly say that there won't be ANY gemstore add ons/upgrades like how build templates have with equip slots.. All these things are free to use after all  as said here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7nEC7vgY2g&t=3928s

If there is something like: "Pay to use more legendaries across your characters with 2 being free to begin with, etc" then it is just "free" with a quote after all.

Seriously, after you having said that, you best prepare for the shitstorm that will come otherwise lol

• Like 4

I agree that it would be helpful to clarify whether it's genuinely 100% free to use in full or if it's free to use but there will be gem store upgrades/additions/whatever.

It wouldn't surprise me if after the reaction to build templates Anet felt like they couldn't monetise the armoury as well so they decided to make it free (or maybe one or more of the people in charge of building this system were annoyed at the templates and determined to do it differently).

But for the sake reason I can understand why a lot of players are expecting free to mean free to start with paid upgrades you'll probably want or need to use it properly so I think it's important to explain which it is.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WindBlade.8749 said:

i still have pstd and even today it's a nightmare for raids builds only.... can't tell how players that play multiple gamemode (wvw and pve at the same time) do.

I found that what made more sense, on several levels, was to have 2 active revenants, one for fractals and another for WvW. The cost disadvantage of buying more template slots didn't even weigh as heavily as those crazy bugs - I've even gotten one where one of the elites completely vanishes giving room to another, duplicate one. So why pay for bugs when you can instead have one more character to replay story with, more storage space, etc.

• Sad 1

I still am on the fence that it is totally free.

Of course it will be 'free' to use it or 'free' to access it. Crikey, I would hope i wouldn't need gold to change my axe to a sword.

However with the wording, I can see it being, like build templates, something we will get 'for free' but you will need gems to expand it. Maybe we will get one class of armour and two weapon slots. I hope it doesn't go down the route of 'armour pieces' and 'per trinket'

I can't see the time and effort ( and cost) of this being developed not being done in leu of some kind of money maker - unless it's a once in a 'log in' thing which it's free for a month say and then you would need to pay for it. 

There is a reason this isn't in the expansion, i feel.   

I think you guys are lacking in imagination a bit. Anet doesn't need to monetize the legendary armory itself in any way. I will take their word on it being universally free for every character, even if you have 70 characters and maxed out 6 equipment templates on each.

They can, however, monetize fashion. If people put the same weapons and armor on every character, many might wish to diversify and make sure said legendaries have unique looks from character to character. And to do that, they will need transmutation charges.

But now now, you can't use the regular pleb transmutation charges to give a single legendary piece 10+ different looks across 10+ different characters, can you? Say hello to Legendary Transmutation Charges.

Edited by Adamixos.6785
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Kronos.3695 said:

You'll surely understand why the op posted this kind of thread with quotes: we have examples in the past, and our prejudice it's obviously based on those.

Looking forward to see if everything related to this new feature will be completely free 🙂

I posted it with quotes because we don't know what "free" means. Someone is paying for it whether indirectly (requiring equipment templates , bag space,or bank space) or directly (appearance charges?). 

i.e. is it able to put in 21 legendary weapons (all gen 1 including underwater and 3 different greatswords), 6 legendary trinkets, 3 different legendary backpieces, and 3 weights of legendary armor in there without a micro-transaction 

• Why Bother wasting Dev Time Levels of Monetization: only two weapons allowed at beginning with a charge per slot for everything from trinkets / armor --- "free to access" 
  • Ludicrous Monetization: Allow only zero or one weapon , one set of trinkets/backpiece, and only one armor stored at a given time because it's the "armory"  , monetization per slot similar to shared inventory (2800 gems = 5 slots ) , build storage (500 gems = 3 slots) --- "Free to access"
  • Ridiculous Monetization: Allow only two weapons, 1 set of legendary trinkets + backpiece, and one armor at a given time , monetization per weight of armor/added weapon per type similar to additional craft license (800 gems) , bank tab (600 gems = 30 slots), or the storage expander (800 gems  = added weapon per type) --- rationale of "we want people to get legendary armor , backpiece, and trinkets so it's free for those" while weapons can be bought off the TP so we want to charge for it
  • Low Monetization : all armor tiers but only one set per weight, all trinkets + backpiece, all weapons but only one weapon per type --- monetization of appearance  that hurts players of classes that use two of a weapon (Sword+sword mesmers, axe+axe warriors and rangers, dagger+dagger eles, etc.)
  • Actual Zero Monetization: any number of armors (> 3x if someone has mistforged triumphant , triumphant hero, mistforged glorious , ardent glorious, and perfected envoy  plus slumbering mistforged chestpiece per weight), slumbering conflux, conflux , Coalescence, Aurora, Vision, 3x amulets (the unnamed PVE amulet, Slumbering Transcendence, Transcendence) ,  Warbringer, Ascension, Ad Infinitum, all legendary weapons in the game

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.legendaryItems
There is someone with 259 legendary items after all and one percenters of the 4K+ hour variety are supposedly possessing 49 legendary items.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.legendaryItemsWeapon
https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.legendaryItemsArmor
https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.legendaryItemsTrinket 
https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.legendaryItemsBack
Monetizing armor slots would be an extremely unfruitful endeavor , so I could only see monetizing weapons if it is monetized.

I can understand the monetization of equipment templates because they compete with bag space and bank space.

Build templates and build storage were free in theory, but if you want to actually utilize the system fully you need to pay for it. If they were fairly priced you would be able to get > 30 templates for the price of a bank tab (600 gems).

The only rationale I could see to having it completely free is the full set of legendary weapons cost too much for super casual people and they will do the gems to gold. That would be very indirect monetization.

It used to be I had trust in the monetization system (because I don't really do outfits, mount skins aren't all that relevant if most of your time is in WVW and fractals , weapon skins are optional , convenience items such as copperfed / gathering tools / shared inventory / bank space are one-off purchases) but that was lost when build templates were so grossly monetized (GW1 had no such issue).

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

If it's utilizing the already existing gear loadout system (and, if it still follows the original plans for it, it probably is), then, at best, it does not add any additional cost to a system that is already massively overmonetized. That won't make it "free" though. It will still be monetized through the basic underlying system, that is extremely costly to use.

Not changing a triple monetization system into a quadruple monetized one is as free as "buy 6 beers, get one free" marketing. It's not free - you will still end up paying for it in the end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If it's utilizing the already existing gear loadout system (and, if it still follows the original plans for it, it probably is), then, at best, it does not add any additional cost to a system that is already massively overmonetized. That won't make it "free" though. It will still be monetized through the basic underlying system, that is extremely costly to use.

Not changing a triple monetization system into a quadruple monetized one is as free as "buy 6 beers, get one free" marketing. It's not free - you will still end up paying for it in the end.

You're giving them too much credit.

With "templates", they directly spat on their community for the first time by murdering Arc - for naught but money, because a grand total of ONE portion of the thing is a novelty when compared to ArcTemplates, the Gear Storage, and even that's more expensive than buying a Bag Slot plus a 20-slot bag.
They directly spat on their community for the second time by ignoring every single breath of feedback given - for exactly the same reason.
And then this dismal feature - which is in virtually every way inferior to a fan-made creation - has been spitting on the community for the third time ever since. With thrice as much saliva, and, thanks to all the plot holes in it, with a beautiful all-reaching spread.

Then there's the absolutely non-existent QA nowadays, even for the throwaway content they've been putting out.
And the fact that they've been actively misleading people (with making the BL Keys during the March sale appear discounted by more than they really are, for example) for a long time.
And who knows what else that happened before.

And there's no (relevant) monetary backlash, the only language they would (be forced to) listen to.
They don't need or care to play the clever or technically correct card, because the hardcore payers will eat everything up anyway.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Masculus.4817 said:

I've been wondering, will the legendary armory apply to tools as well? It's been a long time QoL demand for infinite tools to be useable on any character and it would be a shame if this opportunity is wasted.

3 account wide slots and anything bettwen copper-mithril tools on all characters, place the endless tools in slots and all you got to do is dubble click pick, axe and sickle when you login and log out.

• Thanks 1

I interpreted Anet's response that the legendary armory is not monetized, but I must admit, that Anet has yet to come back and confirm that the legendary armory is not monetized is a bit concerning.

Imagine if each character can only download 2 legendaries from the armory by default... and must pay gems to download 14 additional legendaries (not counting underwater gear slots)... per character... 😬

That would cost an Arm and a Leg. 🥴

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

If the LegArm works well with the equipment/build templates, they'll probably see a financial return from it indirectly, through people buying more slots for those. Fully free sounds good to me. I wouldn't be paying an arm and a leg for the LegArm anyway.

This is exactly what I'm expecting. I totally expect to be able to store and access any and every legendary item I have for zero cost. I then expect to be able to slot any of those items from the Armory into any gear template on any/every toon and reskin/re-colour for zero cost.

The financial return for Anet is clear and its already built into the Template system, to my mind adding the Legendary Armory is much more likely to make people want more gear templates (since you now have a full set of gear and you can change the stats on it per gear template slot at will, unlike with ascended, which requires a stat change via the forge). If you can change the skin/look per gear template, then people will want more outfits, etc.

With Legendary Armory, you can now instant full gear (once you have the Legendary items) any new toon when it hits lvl 80, that's got to encourage people to buy more character slots. And the list goes on. Anet don't need to 'charge' anything for the Legendary Armory, the indirect financial return has the potential to be massive.

15 hours ago, Dami.5046 said:

I still am on the fence that it is totally free.

Of course it will be 'free' to use it or 'free' to access it. Crikey, I would hope i wouldn't need gold to change my axe to a sword.

However with the wording, I can see it being, like build templates, something we will get 'for free' but you will need gems to expand it. Maybe we will get one class of armour and two weapon slots. I hope it doesn't go down the route of 'armour pieces' and 'per trinket'

I can't see the time and effort ( and cost) of this being developed not being done in leu of some kind of money maker - unless it's a once in a 'log in' thing which it's free for a month say and then you would need to pay for it. 

There is a reason this isn't in the expansion, i feel.   

First of all, if they go on the build templates path, there will be a massive outrage on the forums considering that:

1. legendaries still have their cost, and probably many casual players use gem conversion to gold to obtain some of them
  2. build templates by default are limited, and something like the legendary armory is useful to people who multiclass and play multiple game modes, not to everyone

Both of the two, like many people already pointed out, are already generating money and they'll generate even more with the new system in place, if implemented right.

The reason this is not in the expansion, is probably because they actually have other main features to sell with it.