Reason to quit this game - griefing [MERGED]

In WvW and sPvP, you cannot use those mechanics if the enemy-teams place them. They could easily copy/paste this mechanic for squads & parties. If you are in a party or squad, you can only interact with objects (food, banners, gizmos, portals) which were dropped by members of that squad/party. In addition, there should be a checkbox in the options, to enable/disable this feature. 

The hard part for the squad-commanders would only be to go through the squad and kick trolls. That would require lists of those accounts. Still annoying, but manageable.

Another idea could be to utilize and modify the block-system. So you cannot interact with objects, placed by players on your block-list. Then every player has to block to trolls manually. Just need to identify them.

• Like 4

On 5/19/2021 at 3:13 AM, Kilroy was Here.9418 said:

Maybe it's me, but i'm starting to not have any fun playing this game with the griefing that has picked up in the last year.  Consistent day in and day out portal griefing at Drakkar (portals killing ppl all the time) made me quit the drakkar meta for several months.  Then, it's creeped into portal bombing meta chests/loot (TD, skritt queen, etc.).  some of the griefing is not new, just more variety now. Not to mention the personal merchant griefing on chests/loot.  Anet should have made the personal stuff no else can use in such a way that no one else can even interact with it. It's gotten to the point you wait 10-15 sec by default for the portal stuff to stop even if they isn\t any cause you don't know in the meta crowd.

I see portal bombing almost on a daily basis, and i don't want to have to start changing times to do events to satisfy someone else's troll fun.  I know the devs lock/remove posts about griefing/trolling, but to some point i'm not caring anymore, that's how much it's getting to me and my thought of quitting.    

Portals (imo) should be removed from the game or limited to people in squad/party to use (preserves use in wvw/pvp and help at jps, where they have some use).  (If limited to squad/party, just don't join them in open world pve to avoid trolling.)

Update:  Yes, i could have added more to post about trying to click on chest/node/whatever, and yes i can 'sometimes' hear the portal sound, other times its mixed in with other sounds of the game too, and that leads to the waiting until the portal sound/interact going away, or trying to find the chest among the crowd of people there or just again wait until everyone is gone.  So, i have to wait to not get griefed is the best solution overall, ugh.

It's obvious that the "Haha" smiley reaction your post received was from a portal troll. :classic_rolleyes:

Yes, those are annoying, but 99% of the time they fail to affect me, because I am that careful.

I have not witnessed portal trolling during the Drakkar meta, though, because usually this kind of behavior can hinder a successful outcome. Or perhaps I have been just lucky.

I don't get the troll mentality, either, to be honest. I have my own theory about what kind of person would do such a thing, but it would definitely get censored, so I'm better keeping it to myself. :classic_wink:

Edit: Suggestion: Add name tags to portals so that people will know who placed them and can report the jokester for griefing.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

personally I dislike aviator boxes far more than I dislike mesmer portals.  At least the portals are limited to how far the mesmer can travel during the duration. I can't really do anything about the T pose inflicted by an aviator box.

If you interact with it a second time, it removes the effect. Much better than black lion merchants being placed on top. I go away from the chests and come back after a min or so when they despawn.

• Like 2

Everyone about summed it up, make portals only usable in groups/squads. Same with black lion vendors. Or prioritize chests/loot over other interactions. Not really something worth quitting over, but I get the frustration. 

Kind of doubt its its going to stop until some changes are made... and that’s if Anet ever sees it as a priority.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Yellow Rainbow.6142 said:

some1 complain: Oh look pothole on road.

Obtena : Just drive around it, Its not problem.

Strange analogy. A pothole is literally a defect in the road, that needs fixing.  Putting down a portal or an aviator box is something working as intended. The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it broken.

Yeah, griefing is annoying. Do you know what posts like the OP here does? It encourages griefers. The way to beat griefing is to not react to it, because if no one did, no one would do it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Strange analogy. A pothole is literally a defect in the road, that needs fixing.  Putting down a portal or an aviator box is something working as intended. The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it broken.

Yeah, griefing is annoying. Do you know what posts like the OP here does? It encourages griefers. The way to beat griefing is to not react to it, because if no one did, no one would do it.

No response is also a response.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

13 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

No response is also a response.

You're right of course. No response is a response. In the case of griefers it's the right response. These are attention seekers looking to annoy people. And as long as people act annoyed they've been fed. It's like the old don't feed the trolls meme. If you feed them, they continue to flourish. Starve them out and they stop.

• Like 2

I have never encountered this. I didnt know it was a thing. Maybe they can add a toggle in options that , ignore portals, or not. That way the individual can choose without nerfing the profession portals. Its never fair or good to nerf spells because a few misuse them. The best option is to allow people to turn them off and on so they dont get griefed, that way the profession keeps its ports intact, and players wont have to play portal roulette  

On 5/22/2021 at 3:06 AM, Clex Mix.7624 said:

Everyone about summed it up, make portals only usable in groups/squads. Same with black lion vendors. Or prioritize chests/loot over other interactions. Not really something worth quitting over, but I get the frustration. 

Kind of doubt its its going to stop until some changes are made... and that’s if Anet ever sees it as a priority.

Absolutely not, that is a straight up nerf to gameplay and social interaction between players. I posted above what would be a good solution without hurting the profession or the players that benefit from portals. The portals are far more help than hindrance losing the ability to help people out when you are traversing the world is a bad idea. I have had players port me out of some situations where I was stuck. And I have stopped to help others on my mesmer in random situations. 

• Like 3

On 5/22/2021 at 5:10 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

You're right of course. No response is a response. In the case of griefers it's the right response. These are attention seekers looking to annoy people. And as long as people act annoyed they've been fed. It's like the old don't feed the trolls meme. If you feed them, they continue to flourish. Starve them out and they stop.

These aren't 5 year olds or people spamming a forum

These are grown adults who fully realize that even forcing you to wait for their troll portal to run out is already irritating you and will always get some measure of satisfaction from doing it just by watching people fall for the troll portals

Inconveniencing you at all is already pleasing them

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Substance E.4852 said:

These aren't 5 year olds or people spamming a forum

These are grown adults who fully realize that even forcing you to wait for their troll portal to run out is already irritating you and will always get some measure of satisfaction from doing it just by watching people fall for the troll portals

Inconveniencing you at all is already pleasing them

I'm not convinced that's the case for most of them. You speak as if you know them personally. My guess is a negative complaint in map chat is what they're really looking for. I could be wrong..but I suspect I'm not.

• Like 2

I'm seeing a good few posts here talking about or even requesting nerfs or changes be made to portals because of this issue which sorry I can't get on board with at all.

The problem isn't the portal mechanics, we've had them for years and many many people use them and have used them since this game's launch as useful and fun tools to help people.

The problem is exclusively the griefers not the portals.
The only change I want to see happen here and will accept is that players who repeatedly use portals to be an annoying 3 letter word for a donkey, get banned from this game as they rightly deserve to be.

Don't punish the majority of players for the actions of a nefarious minority of bad players.. punish the bad players and remove them from the game.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Why who are those people?

A bunch of 300+ mastery people who get their jollies trolling metas with portals, training mobs into the zerg to kill everyone, putting aviator boxes on the loot, etc.. It's an entire guild dedicated to literally just that.

If this game had open world pvp they would not exist.

Edited by slave to the grind.5028
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dominic.6780 said:

We're complaining about hitting F on an object that you can hit again to be returned to where you are? I swear, what is wrong with MMO players being the most helpless people...

True. Can also left click on a chest before pressing F and you'll loot it. Overally to me it seems like there's more tears around than it's worth it, probably just encouraging trolls to keep doing it.

That said, I don't even regularly see a single portal, so not sure if I'm that "lucky", OP is "so unlucky" or maybe people just want to complain about something and this is as good as anything else. One way or another, they can prevent it and if they choose not to, then maybe they don't exactly care as much as they say they do.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greets everyone, 

there is a persitent problem with trolls in big events like Tarir Meta. 

People are placing Aviators, Trading post Merchants and Mesmer portals over chests. The game does priorize those for some reason and you are stuck in a loop of not being able to loot it properly and trying to click the chest with 50 people standing on it. This is very annoying and there is a way to fix it. (yes, i know there is an option to target the next best thing but thats no solution). 

The game needs an option to prio the chests over portals and merchants (and aviators) or the client needs to prio it by itself. There is no Tarir meta i am not seeing people trolling with this and i never see a map chat without flame because of it. This behaviour makes the game annoying and toxic. Sometimes you even miss events because you are stuck for minutes at chests just to get your loot. Many of us travel around from event to event and sometimes you cant get into maps because they are full. Every minute counts here. The longer you take to loot the lower the chance to get on a map with the meta event active (yes i am looking at you death branded shatterer).

Also i do not think the problem are people getting angry, the people trolling are the problem here. It needs to be fixed and it can be fixed. we all enjoy the environment in guildwars. most people are friendly and helpful. This is the extreme opposite. 

kind regards

Neratius

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Shouldn't take 'minutes' to press the 'Next Ally' key (which brings up every interactable object in view). 

Also great for those times someone accidentally (or purposefully) stacks Guild Banners. 

That does not always work. Next ally only toggles between a select few objects with the highest priorities. If there are dozens of interact-able objects with higher priority than chests, it just cycles between those and never targets the chest. Also, some objects get interaction priority even if you have a chest targeted and selected.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1