This has got to be the most underrated MMO ever...why?

I played this this briefly when it launched and decided to try it again a couple weeks ago.

I can't believe how good this game really is now that I have given it an honest try and it's left me really surprised.

I heard on a video I was watching that it's number 8 of most played MMOs right now.  That seems crazy to me.

So what is it that keeps this game so low on the list?  That is if it really is #8....

Also is there confirmation on a guild wars 3 in development?

Edited by CokerOne.6179
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

List of reasons I can come up with:

- People interested in vertical progression may not find what they need in GW2, probably a big reason. Some folks reach level 80, get exotics, and have no idea what to do next so they just quit after a few days.

- People who prefer tab targeting combat to action combat stick to WoW. This can be a pretty big reason, because the way your character plays and feels is probably the #1 thing that will make you stick to any video game.

- Lack of support and love given to PvP. Limited game modes, and some game modes such as 2v2/3v3 arena aren't even a permanent feature, but rather a limited time thing for special seasons. Lack of proper battlegrounds too, like 10v10 or 15v15. Probably other issues as well but I'm not experience enough to give an enlightened opinion.

- Confusing PvE. Dungeons, fractals, strike missions - sometimes the content is dead or irrelevant, you have to know what is what and it's not really explained well. Lots of having to do your own research here. And since you can't join a dungeon by pressing 1 button, you may be discouraged and not bother.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Too casual for many, not as flashy advertising, and for some mmos are considered an aging game mode.  Game is often perceived as simply a watered down version of WoW.  

No confirmation of GW3, there is an expansion to GW2 coming...soon.

Welcome though and have a fantastic experience!  It's a wonderful game, great fun, hope you discover and explore and have a good time.  Nice community overall as well.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CokerOne.6179 said:

I heard on a video I was watching that it's number 8 of most played MMOs right now.  That seems crazy to me.

I'd be very sceptical about any lists people mention on videos.

ArenaNet do not share player numbers, very few MMO companies do. These lists are all based on guesswork. 

• Like 7

This surprises me too, but I suppose it shouldn’t. Guild Wars 2 is my longest-played MMO to date, yet for many years I didn’t play the game either and returned only months ago. If I had to guess? The lack of expansions and Living World is to blame. Miss any of the Living World Season 1 content, and you’re SOL.

And it’s still true.

Pure speculation but if I hadn’t experienced Season 1 and came here as a new player, I’d have zero idea who these people were when I finished the first story and Season 2 began.

To say it’s jarring is an understatement.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

older ppl like me dont like or dont hurry for new things, GW2 is the most friedly to casuals atm.

the only real competition to gw2 is bigger offline games like dragon age inquisition, anyway most of them dont have good combat system.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 3

GW2 was on display shelves in stores for about 1 year before it totally disappeared. But I can't tell you how many times I've seen ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) advertised on store shelves and having re-release after re-release. Just from the top of my head.. Imperial Edition, Gold Edition, Unlimited Edition. Then there's all the collectors editions, and then several editions for every expansion that got released.

Not to say ESO has more players than GW2, I don't know the statistics. I certainly don't think it's a better game. In my opinion GW2 stands head and shoulder above that boring, drab game. Yet that game got so much crazy marketing, you just couldn't avoid it even if you tried..

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Game is often perceived as simply a watered down version of WoW.  

I really don't think anyone thinks that. I've played WoW for 12 years, the games have nothing in common aside from being MMOs.

Different combat, different progression, different priorities and focus (GW2 is mostly about open world content, WoW is all about instanced content), etc.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I really don't think anyone thinks that. I've played WoW for 12 years, the games have nothing in common aside from being MMOs.

Different combat, different progression, different priorities and focus (GW2 is mostly about open world content, WoW is all about instanced content), etc.

I agree that it's quite different. However overall the games have a lot of crossover points, and I have had acquaintances when discussing the game scoff at it saying it sounds like a poor man's WoW.  Harsh perhaps.  Having played WoW for over a decade as well, quitting after Pandaria, I also thought this until doing more research into a casual MMO that wouldn't suck up so much time.  GW2 doesn't always promote their strengths, aka weak advertising.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

GW2 doesn't always promote their strengths, aka weak advertising.

I'm actually mad because I enjoy really few video games, and they're ALL guilty of this sin: GW2, StarCraft II, Mordhau. Amazing games, great gameplay, huge replay potential - 0 marketing. 😥

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Aodlop.1907 said:

I'm actually mad because I enjoy really few video games, and they're ALL guilty of this sin: GW2, StarCraft II, Mordhau. Amazing games, great gameplay, huge replay potential - 0 marketing. 😥

Absolutely agree, think it's the biggest issue for them and GW2.

40 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I have to agree with advertising fail: I have never even heard of "Mordhau." Maybe I heard of StarCraft 2, but I wasn't impressed enough with StarCraft to care.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I have never even heard of "Mordhau."

You know what's the saddest part? It's not even some random game in sea of other games from the same genre. It's not yet another MMO, or yet another Battle Royale. It's the only modern game of its genre, with a unique combat system. It's only buy to play with 0 microtransaction, high customization, and it's just fun to play all around. But you've never heard of it. Most people have never heard of it. I only discovered it because I follow TheLazyPeon, an MMO-focused channel, who happened to cover this game and got me interested.

What a shame!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CokerOne.6179 said:

I played this this briefly when it launched and decided to try it again a couple weeks ago.

I can't believe how good this game really is now that I have given it an honest try and it's left me really surprised.

So what is it that keeps this game so low on the list?  That is if it really is #8....

The reason for that is that the content over the last years really sucks.

Also people didn't like half of the crew  being layed off, which most likely contributes to the suckage.

In general people don't feel that A-Net is going or even have a certain direction anymore.

The game is slowly strangled to death.

I believe there are lot of different reasons combining together, but to my eyes, there are 3 mains points:

- There is a new generation of players: they play many games at same time and want to go fast to end game and get best stuff  immediately. If it doesn't go fast enough, it's "grinding" and they don't like it. The existing "old" MMOs have contents that match more or less well with this new approach/demand and unfortunately, GW2 isn't supposed to go fast, so causing lot of "grinding".

- The last LW episodes were no real contents. They were more like big events, and since there was no exp pack... 

- WvW and PvP have been completely ignored causing a big amount of players to stop GW2 until something is done. And unfortunately, still yet, nothing has been done. 

Edited by Dreamy Lu.3865
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, CokerOne.6179 said:

This should make you feel better, listed first of Best MMOs and MMORPGs of 2021

https://www.pcgamesn.com/10-best-pc-mmos

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

- Lack of support and love given to PvP.

Unless anet paid some popular streamers with lots of mindless followers to make videos overrating GW2 to high heavens, which would be easier with the PvP shenanigans, it would be a total waste to focus on it. "Support and love" won't make a PvP playerbase any less of a bunch of chucklemongers.

• Haha 1

I’ve played ESO and FF14. GW2 isn’t that great compared to them. There are many elements about them which has helped those games flourish which GW2 lacks. 

I honestly don’t believe that there would be a GW3. I feel that this next expansion will determine the fate of the game/series. If they were to do a GW3, they’re better off doing something like GW1. They can’t handle doing something on the scale of an MMO. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

"Support and love" won't make a PvP playerbase any less of a bunch of chucklemongers.

The PvP community doesn't need to be nice or smart, it just needs to exist because it means more people playing (and paying) the game. It's also more people who are likely to recommend the game to their friends (because who likes to play MMOs alone?), which results in even more players, who may in turn be interested in more than PvP.

Caring for all game modes means you attract a larger pool of players, and that's a good thing.

• Like 2