Remember when no one wanted mounts?

Incidentally I was one of the people who said GW2 doesn't need mounts (which was rapidly reinterpreted as I'm vehemently against mounts in any game, ever) and I still don't think the game needs them, except PoF of course but that's a chicken and egg situation - they made the maps require mounts because they were adding mounts and didn't want them to be pointless.

Anet did a better job than I expected when they added mounts, they're not just a complicated way of applying a speed boost like in most games and actually have a bit more versatility, not to mention interesting models and animations.

But they're still not needed in base game or HoT maps and I don't like using them too much because I don't want to get out of the habit of figuring out how to reach areas without them or end up being one of those people who rushes past most content without even knowing it's there.

I remember a topic on the old forum where someone was totally stuck on how to get to a POI in a fort because mounts were disabled so they couldn't jump over the wall on their springer. The solution was to walk around the wall and go through the open gate, but that hadn't occurred to them as an option. They were so used to relying on mounts for absolutely everything that as soon as they weren't available they had no idea what to do.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 6:38 PM, Razor.6392 said:

ANet laughed at you lot.

When did that happen?

then introduced mounts anyway.

Best decision ever

Now all of you are buying the newest mount skins on release.

And that's a problem because...?

So hopefully for the newest expansion, dueling will make an appearance. If it did, people would just accept it over time anyway and the loudest voices would eventually start enjoying it too 🙂

BRING DUELING AND GUILD WARS ALREADY ANET, IT'S BEEN TOO kitten LONG

Please explain dueling?

What's this all about?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Razor.6392 said:

No... but having the option for some casual fun would be nice.

Then advocate for casual dueling in the modes where it already exists rather than modes where it doesn't.

To me, this is more of a community problem.  Anet provides modes for dueling which many believe have been neglected.  I don't PvP or WvW, so I can't say; however, if that is the case then the players in those communities should be rallying to get more attention to those modes.  If dueling were such a thing with a lot of popularity, then Anet might throw more resources at it.  As things stand now, it would seem that Anet would prefer to spend their resources where such would generate the most return (read: profit).  It's a business decision, pure and simple.  So, if you want dueling, then make a solid business reason for it that doesn't negatively impact the current iteration of the game modes.

One might just have to consider that dueling is not all that popular in GW2 and maybe find other games where it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I can't think of a single practical use for PvE dueling that isn't currently provided by costume brawls and existing PvP systems. People who want to duel can already do so; perhaps it's just that you don't want to accept how few of those people there are.

You won't change someone's dislike of salsa by force-feeding them salsa.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

None that don't suck as already detailed above.

OK ... and just because you think those places suck isn't a reason to enable it in PVE.

Low impact development for an insignificant luxury. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 7:38 PM, Razor.6392 said:

ANet laughed at you lot, then introduced mounts anyway. Now all of you are buying the newest mount skins on release.

So hopefully for the newest expansion, dueling will make an appearance. If it did, people would just accept it over time anyway and the loudest voices would eventually start enjoying it too 🙂

BRING DUELING AND GUILD WARS ALREADY ANET, IT'S BEEN TOO kitten LONG

This logic doesnt hold up at all. I really hope people won't start using the succes of mounts as an excuse for any wild idea.

Also the reason that mounts are so wildly accepted is that they are NOT standard mounts from other mmos.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Then advocate for casual dueling in the modes where it already exists rather than modes where it doesn't.

To me, this is more of a community problem.  Anet provides modes for dueling which many believe have been neglected.  I don't PvP or WvW, so I can't say; however, if that is the case then the players in those communities should be rallying to get more attention to those modes.  If dueling were such a thing with a lot of popularity, then Anet might throw more resources at it.  As things stand now, it would seem that Anet would prefer to spend their resources where such would generate the most return (read: profit).  It's a business decision, pure and simple.  So, if you want dueling, then make a solid business reason for it that doesn't negatively impact the current iteration of the game modes.

One might just have to consider that dueling is not all that popular in GW2 and maybe find other games where it is.

I think the problem here is that you need to go down through so many loopholes just to get to the 'dueling' part in a random arena. Ain't nobody got the time for that. It's certainly not quicker than rightclick duel for sure.

It's convenient for anti-duel people to be  like JuSt gO tO aReNaS when that's not the point at all. It's just to have an option for casual fun with friends 🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Razor.6392 said:

I think the problem here is that you need to go down through so many loopholes just to get to the 'dueling' part in a random arena. Ain't nobody got the time for that. It's certainly not quicker than rightclick duel for sure.

It's convenient for anti-duel people to be  like JuSt gO tO aReNaS when that's not the point at all. It's just to have an option for casual fun with friends 🙂

Again, then advocate for changes in the existing format rather than changes in other formats.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Why does it have to use PvE gear?

Because it would have the same problem as the guild arena, it's on a PvE-map. According to a dev commend from some time ago about the guild arena problem, they can't change the balance and the rules of a part of the PvE-worldmap to PvP or WvW separately.

I don't know, if  a 1vs1-duel is even possible, because of the way how players and NPCs are assigned to a limited number of teams, it most likely would just end as some all vs all arenas like in HotM or Sun's Refuge.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Again, then advocate for changes in the existing format rather than changes in other formats.

Especially when one of the problems raised is that the arenas in guild halls use PvE skills instead of PvP. I would assume open world duelling would be the same, since it's in PvE maps, so it sounds like it would be similarly unsuitable for those who want it.

1 hour ago, Razor.6392 said:

I don't understand this one at all. All parts of the game happen in specific places and you have to go there to play it.

If I want to play WvW I have to queue up for a WvW map, join a squad and run out to where they're currently fighting (or check the map for suitable objectives and head there if I want solo roaming). If I want to do Fractals I have to go to LA, find a group and enter the Fractal Map, potentially via going to the lobby and choosing a Fractal to start. Even open world content works like that, if I want to do the Dragon's Stand meta I have to go to Dragons Stand (and at the right time too). If I want to do map completion I have to go to a map I haven't already completed. It's the same for everything.

I don't see why duelling should be any different. At the moment it just sounds like enthusiasm for it is so low, even among those requesting it, that if it takes more than a second to start a duel you've lost interest because duelling itself is not actually interesting enough to be worth the hassle of a few clicks to start it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

None that don't suck as already detailed above.

OK ... that's not a reason to make OW PVE your Dueling playground, especially since there are lots of reasons to NOT do it there to begin with. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

ANet has commented on dueling at least once and said that while it’s not impossible it would take a lot of work to insert competition into cooperative areas. It would probably be impossible to add a competitive features without separating it from the cooperative mode PvE maps, which would mean the duelers would need to leave PvE in some way. Since they already have ways to duel by leaving PvE and since this doesn’t seem to be overwhelming popular, it not a feature that is wanted enough for ANet to prioritize. 

Link

Ben Phongluangtham.1065

I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc. 

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

• Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

ANet has commented on dueling at least once and said that while it’s not impossible it would take a lot of work to insert competition into cooperative areas. It would probably be impossible to add a competitive features without separating it from the cooperative mode PvE maps, which would mean the duelers would need to leave PvE in some way. Since they already have ways to duel by leaving PvE and since this doesn’t seem to be overwhelming popular, it not a feature that is wanted enough for ANet to prioritize. 

Hey.

I haven't seen you around in a while... or I've been missing your posts.

I still don't know what this duel thing is all about.

What is it?

3 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Hey.

I haven't seen you around in a while... or I've been missing your posts.

I still don't know what this duel thing is all about.

What is it?

I haven’t been posting as much

”I still don't know what this duel thing is all about.“

I don’t understand what exactly you’re asking. 

It's not as simple:

People were against the idea of mounts they had in their own head. They didn't were against mounts as they are now. They just lacked the imagination to think they could be anything than what they assumed they would be. 

This happens very often when people are against cool things. They are just not cool in their head because they can't imagine any way to make them cool. 

And the same people aggressively against them are not the same people all over them.  Only a fraction on players visit the forums, and mostly when they have something they want fixed changed or added. 
There's no "Everything's OK alarm". 

But that doesn't apply to dueling. It isn't that there is no way to add dueling to the game. It would be fairly easy since it'd be just a team switch like the flags in guild halls and the edge.  

The problem isn't how it could be done, or that there isn't a way to add it in a cool way. 

It's that open world PvE is no place for dueling.  It's a place to work together, not fight each other, not for bullies to go around requesting duels from newbies to ruin their day.  

Dueling is a kind of thing that makes happy the kind of person that should not be made happy. 
That's why it should be kept away from where people are meant to work together. 

You can't argue with design solutions against a philosophical problem. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

It isn't that there is no way to add dueling to the game. It would be fairly easy since it'd be just a team switch like the flags in guild halls and the edge.  

The problem isn't how it could be done, or that there isn't a way to add it in a cool way. 

There's a post several above yours with a dev quote that completely refutes your point about it being easy to add to the game.  Having it added in a cool way has nothing to do with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Razor.6392 said:

Just ignore those posts. It's nothing but speculation and what ifs built entirely inside of their minds. 

Yes guys, dueling will cause the following:

1. Disrupt meta events.
  2. Give """trolls""" a fancy new tool.
  3. Provoke harassment.
  4. Bring all the guys from wvw / pvp solely to whisper or duel bomb innocent pveers.
  5. Ruin immersion because everyone in tyria is supposed to be allies. The pact, dragons watch, yadda yadda.
  6. Make every role player quit.
  7. Make random people suddenly stalk you and follow you for hours on end.
  8. Get you griefed because you refused to duel out of nowhere.
  9. No events will ever get completed anymore because everyone's too busy dueling.
  10. Key balance and black lion goods will be at an all time low because dueling also disrupts story instances.
  11. Gem price will go up
  12. Zhaitan comes back from the dead because of the bloodshed between fellow tyrians somehow revived him.
  13. Heart of the mists and eternal battlegrounds are now completely empty. Everyone is in Drizzle trolling each other.
  14. A dueling open world meta will develop. You got to hop on a dueling ready class or get ready to be embarrassed.
  15. This meta isn't world event friendly, now bosses just won't die because everyone's on sustain builds.
  16. People can't finish dailies, events or any type of open world content, there's no other option but quitting.

See? I can play too. The funniest part is that most of these can already be prevented by blocking people. Just disable duel requests, ANet could make it so that dueling is impossible while metas or nearby events are happening, and that's it.

So glad you fianlly see it from the other side.

Can you now change your Op and ask the mods to lock it?

18 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

When did that happen?

Best decision ever

And that's a problem because...?

Please explain dueling?

What's this all about?

Dueling is being able to challenge another player to a fight with only those two people participating in it. It's a form of player vs. player.

This game does a pretty good job compared to most MMOs I've played, of seperating PVP from PVE.  You want to duel some people do it in WvW or in PvP rooms dedicated to that or in guild arenas. Some people, including the OP, want it to be included in the open world.

Having been in games with dueling I've found that it hasn't been fun for me and while it often hasn't affected me, occasionally it becomes annoying. Since I don't want to be annoyed I don't favor dueling in the game, Particularly as there are places people can duel if they really want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Dueling is being able to challenge another player to a fight with only those two people participating in it. It's a form of player vs. player.

This game does a pretty good job compared to most MMOs I've played, of seperating PVP from PVE.  You want to duel some people do it in WvW or in PvP rooms dedicated to that or in guild arenas. Some people, including the OP, want it to be included in the open world.

Having been in games with dueling I've found that it hasn't been fun for me and while it often hasn't affected me, occasionally it becomes annoying. Since I don't want to be annoyed I don't favor dueling in the game, Particularly as there are places people can duel if they really want.

Got it.

Thank you very much for taking time to explain it.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I remember playing Runescape for a few months before GW, and it had a quick mode for dueling in open world.

You'd bing a key for on or off, and you could quickly switch if you wanted to challenge other players or be challenged... a lot of times by surprise. 

Not sure if it would work in GW.

Maybe just in specific places, such as designated areas?

I mean if bettle racing don't have its own arenas/racing tracks and are in open world, maybe dueling wouldn't be so bad?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Got it.

Thank you very much for taking time to explain it.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I remember playing Runescape for a few months before GW, and it had a quick mode for dueling in open world.

You'd bing a key for on or off, and you could quickly switch if you wanted to challenge other players or be challenged... a lot of times by surprise. 

Not sure if it would work in GW.

Maybe just in specific places, such as designated areas?

I mean if bettle racing don't have its own arenas/racing tracks and are in open world, maybe dueling wouldn't be so bad?

Designated areas for dueling already exist.  That's what many of us have been saying.  It doesn't need to be put into OWPvE.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1