PSA No Down State Week Starting This Friday Reset June 18th

XenesisII.1540

3 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

That already happens.

But honestly, I never saw that much of a difference. Why are people so afraid of dying that they'll skip it lol? You don't even have to repair anymore

And it saves a lot of time. The most annoying thing in WvW is losing to 10 bunkers that then need 10 seconds to eventually kill you. You are often faster at the spawn by logging out and re-entering the map, than waiting to get killed (while being the siege-dumpster).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, KrHome.1920 said:

And it saves a lot of time. The most annoying thing in WvW is losing to 10 bunkers that then need 10 seconds to eventually kill you. You are often faster at the spawn by logging out and re-entering the map, than waiting to get killed (while being the siege-dumpster).

Yea that too.

I would totally take a /gg option that only applied when down.

Though sometimes it's probably not bunkers but people that just aren't that good at killing things in general.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

1 hour ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

So people wait all year to play thief/ranger for a whole week..they will spend whole week whining on how broken stealth and sic'em are...the following week they go back to their minstrel/trailblazer tanks facetanking for the remaining of the year....sad

Because one shot builds are lower effort than most Condi builds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

No more downstate makes it funny when you see people duo'ing, usually kill one then they spam their aoe protections and rez.. can't do that no more! Muahaha! 

Squishy builds are bad this weak 😄

And yet I'm ganking on my glass Soulbeast and having a blast 😆 

I love no downstate weeks.

• Like 1

Simple logic for this weeks event, some people like it some people don't.

Thieves are only OP in two instances, 1) in the hands of an experienced player and 2) when the target doesn't know how to counter. 99% of the time I roam on a mesmer and I love playing against good thieves. 

Last I checked the point of games are to have fun. If you don't like the no downstate, skip it. Do you. Some of us (or a lot of us) actually enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

Because one shot builds are lower effort than most Condi builds. 

Nah, they're both equally low effort builds, but they're extremes of opposite spectrum.
Yesterday I've literally deleted 3 players within seconds on "hybrid" build, which most damage comes from condies.
I'm pretty sure I could switch to other aids builds and do the same with ease.

3 hours ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Nah, they're both equally low effort builds, but they're extremes of opposite spectrum.
Yesterday I've literally deleted 3 players within seconds on "hybrid" build, which most damage comes from condies.
I'm pretty sure I could switch to other aids builds and do the same with ease.

The difference in power vs condi damage "within seconds" is probably a factor of 10:1 due to ramp up. So pics or it didnt happen, most of your damage came from power. Unless your "within seconds" refer to 30+ seconds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

The difference in power vs condi damage "within seconds" is probably a factor of 10:1 due to ramp up. So pics or it didnt happen, most of your damage came from power. Unless your "within seconds" refer to 30+ seconds.

To be fair, a lot of hybrid and pure condi builds can reach 5-10k dps within 3-4 skills of applied conditions. If you meet enemies without any cleanse or condition awareness, that's no more then a couple of seconds no matter the ramp up.

Ramp up is pretty much a thing of the past at this point in regards to damage versus player health (which has remained near the same since launch unlike damage which has trippled by now). Sure, you won't have max damage, but without cleanse even 1/2 the damage of a condi build, which just ignores toughness, is more than sufficient to delete players within seconds.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

To be fair, a lot of hybrid and pure condi builds can reach 5-10k dps within 3-4 skills of applied conditions. If you meet enemies without any cleanse or condition awareness, that's no more then a couple of seconds no matter the ramp up.

Ramp up is pretty much a thing of the past at this point in regards to damage versus player health (which has remained near the same since launch unlike damage which has trippled by now). Sure, you won't have max damage, but without cleanse even 1/2 the damage of a condi build, which just ignores toughness, is more than sufficient to delete players within seconds.

Thank you! Many refuse to admit this simple truth and main reason why they all play condi tanks...the same dmg of power builds..minus the risk

• Like 1

People over exaggerate no down state. In small scale getting downed 90% of the time already means you're going to way point. People write hear like getting downed by a glass thief or ranger was still a 50/50 fight.

In large scale the group that is getting downed first usually loses. It might have a bit more impact there. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

People over exaggerate no down state. In small scale getting downed 90% of the time already means you're going to way point. People write hear like getting downed by a glass thief or ranger was still a 50/50 fight.

In large scale the group that is getting downed first usually loses. It might have a bit more impact there. 

Most seem not to notice (or consider), the biggest change downstate wise or in this case no downstate wise is the lack of downstate players soaking damage, not the missing rallies (in large scale fights).

Sure, the rallies are most noticeable, but the fact that your damage immediately increases in efficiency (aka versus more dangerous targets, players who are not downed) in a blob scenario is far more impactful. In BvB or larger scale fights, having a few players in downstate leads to automatically those players soaking damage (be it target cap or just getting focused) which will reduce damage thrown at your blob. Not as beneficial as having those players up and alive, but far more beneficial than them being immediately gone.

In small scale the lack of downstate skills in 1vX scenarios (or outnumbered scenarios) is the biggest factor given target caps of damage skills will likely not apply. Which again means it is not the actual rallying mechanic but the lack of skills used while downed which is most impactful (very noticeable if you try to use an EWP currently which is getting bombed) .

This leads to some interesting ideas for potential other week events:

- have a downstate week but disable all downstate skills, simply allowing rallying

- remove downed players from counting towards the target cap of skills (or go all out and do a now target cap week, just to see what happens)

- change downstate so that players are immune while downed, have no skills, can only revive via rallies but will fully die after a set period of time

- etc.

To expand about the point about conditions. Eventually the developers need to address the damage creep the game has experienced (power and condition). Likely with the next expansion if we see another 5-10k dps power creep as with the last 2. The total hitpoints possible have remained unchanged for the most part (any one remember Sentinel gear during vanilla?) while the damage possible has continually increased.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

This leads to some interesting ideas for potential other week events:

- have a downstate week but disable all downstate skills, simply allowing rallying

- remove downed players from counting towards the target cap of skills (or go all out and do a now target cap week, just to see what happens)

- change downstate so that players are immune while downed, have no skills, can only revive via rallies but will fully die after a set period of time

- etc.

Or you know, just remove rally instead because it maintains the core gameplay aspect of downstate that defines GW2 while solving one of the main gripes of zerging.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

No downstate week. The week of endless squirreling and endless pirate shipping.

I'll pass. Players keeping a permanent 3000 yard distance between every enemy in sight is not exactly quality gameplay.

I don't think perma everything dancing in a circle is anything better, it'd be nice to have something in between but..oh well

Edited by Arheundel.6451
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

I don't think perma everything dancing in a circle is anything better, it'd be nice to have something in between but..oh well

Cheers to that.

The only thing i enjoy are GvG level of fights, where the fights last for minutes at least rather then seconds and are high octane. The zerging around PPT ships are a snore and make me fall asleep just like some of the PVE metas trains lol

There was one 3 way perpetual GvG battle that lasted 3 hours straight a very long time ago now. Won't ever forget those fights.

• Like 1

As the previous two times,it shows who's getting carried and who knows how to play,they should do this event monthly. Most of these "Pro" groups i usually see are getting instantly destroyed now .Downed state removal is a good thing. It mostly gives smaller groups a much better chance against bigger groups that could other wise keep rezzing forever thinking they're good,kitten.

Edited by Caedmon.6798
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

As the previous two times,it shows who's getting carried and who knows how to play,they should do this event monthly. Most of these "Pro" groups i usually see are getting instantly destroyed now .Downed state removal is a good thing. It mostly gives smaller groups a much better chance against bigger groups that could other wise keep rezzing forever thinking they're good,kitten.

I've noticed this as well. 

With downstate, you can encounter a group with a ton of support, and if one of the supports somehow goes down they just all rush to it and rez--this type of group is pretty much unbeatable without greater numbers.  

With no downstate you can target the supports and slowly whittle the group down, making them beatable.  

It's pretty easy to notice too as any group you encounter that immediately runs most likely relies heavily on downstate and rallying.  You won't see this very often during normal weeks, but during weeks like this it is actually hard to get a group fight that isn't near a WP or a structure.  

Essentially, Rezzing/Rallying is a crutch that most people just don't want to give up.  

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I've noticed this as well. 

With downstate, you can encounter a group with a ton of support, and if one of the supports somehow goes down they just all rush to it and rez--this type of group is pretty much unbeatable without greater numbers.  

With no downstate you can target the supports and slowly whittle the group down, making them beatable.  

It's pretty easy to notice too as any group you encounter that immediately runs most likely relies heavily on downstate and rallying.  You won't see this very often during normal weeks, but during weeks like this it is actually hard to get a group fight that isn't near a WP or a structure.  

Essentially, Rezzing/Rallying is a crutch that most people just don't want to give up.  

So to sum up what you two are saying... All guild groups in the game are actually crap and carried by support because otherwise they wouldnt need them to begin with and no downstate prove it. Hahaha, I approve of your message. 

Anyway, for me no downstate still only does this:

- It emphasize optimized meta builds everywhere, reducing diversity and build options.
- It makes combat way too fast and victories unsatisfying.
- It remove any sense of teamwork and being able to assist other players when they fall.

- It remove any excitement trying to turn combat situations with multiple downs.

= it makes GW2 a duller, lesser game and for what? Some instant gratification for people proclaiming "sKiLl!". 

Downstate compared to no downstate is like passionate loving compared to a one night stand.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

So to sum up what you two are saying... All guild groups in the game are actually crap and carried by support because otherwise they wouldnt need them to begin with and no downstate prove it. Hahaha, I approve of your message. 

Anyway, for me no downstate still only does this:

- It emphasize optimized meta builds everywhere, reducing diversity and build options.
- It makes combat way too fast and victories unsatisfying.
- It remove any sense of teamwork and being able to assist other players when they fall.

- It remove any excitement trying to turn combat situations with multiple downs.

= it makes GW2 a duller, lesser game and for what? Some instant gratification for people proclaiming "sKiLl!". 

Downstate compared to no downstate is like passionate loving compared to a one night stand.

I mean yes, I'd wager at least 75% of guild groups are carried by support. 

The point is, with downstate you can't ever take that support out because rez speed is too fast.  So you have support AND extra support via downstate and rezzing.  

Without downstate you have to actually play your class.  If you don't you get punished for it--for instance you'll still have super high ranks trying to meme on the warclaw (seen a lot of golds and mithrils do this) and get insta spiked.  If there was downstate their group would run over and rez them out of it, but without downstate they become useless, as they should for taunting.

Yes, you may get bursted and or ganked--but certain classes are literally built for this.  If you stay near your group anyway and have any idea how to play your class that chance goes down even against glass 'one shot' builds.

I dunno how else to put this---but no downstate may make people QQ but it is the purest way to tell skill from no skill.  I believe this is important for a mode that is all to reliant on claim buffs and way too many safety nets (downstate, supports, warclaws, superspeed, etc.).  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1