We NEED race change! [Merged]

1 minute ago, Gibson.4036 said:

The mods are very responsive to reports that request new threads be merged into a previous thread on the topic.

True, but again, if people used the search feature then others wouldn't have to report duplicate threads and mods wouldn't have to then merge them.  /shrug

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

True, but again, if people used the search feature then others wouldn't have to report duplicate threads and mods wouldn't have to then merge them.  /shrug

That's true, and there's no gurantee that people will go back and read the thread they've been merged into.

Whataya do?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

Put the lores and living stories aside, if a player can already turn into another game model by using item such the tonic, technically speaking, we should be able to change from say race A to B permanently? To fix the living stories 'issue', just add a line into our personal diary, "the character drank a potion by accident one night, and he/she turned into an asura permanently..." done.

People been requesting for this for 10 years, I don't believe it's 101% 'impossible', have Anet even tried? At all?

Edited by Dakaa.7018
  • Like 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

• Dakaa.7018 changed the title to Exactly why is race change not possible? Why let the lore stop you from selling this feature?
7 minutes ago, Dakaa.7018 said:

Put the lores and living stories aside, if a player can already turn into another game model by using item such the tonic, technically speaking, we should be able to change from say race A to B permanently? To fix the living stories 'issue', just add a line into our personal diary, "the character drank a potion by accident one night, and he/she turned into an asura permanently..." done.

People been requesting for this for 10 years, I don't believe it's 101% 'impossible', have Anet even tried? At all?

I believe it's actually technically not possible since Anet hard-coded the race (and profession?) into the character's data so that quite possibly data structures in the data are different for different races and such. I seem to recall Anet saying that changing this would almost guaranteed lead to corrupted character data, and chaos would emerge from there.

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dakaa.7018 said:

Yeah, but the character's appreance does not have be tied to the character's actual race, do you see what I mean?

true, but there is also racial armor and models for race. In the datafile is a single cell for race. This detemines both the story and racial skills as well as the armor models to be used of each version of the armors and which sets are available.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think we've ever been given any details (and it wouldn't mean much to me if we were) but from what I've seen in previous discussions it seems to be a limitation in the way the game is coded rather than worrying about details like the story journal looking strange. (Since that only affects the player and they're the one who would choose to make the change I suspect Anet would say it's just something you need to live with.)

I seem to remember hearing that they tested it once and it made the character literally unplayable, as in you couldn't log into them at all because the game would crash, and they couldn't find any way to prevent that happening.

They have occasionally found ways to do things which used to be impossible, like changing your account name, so it might be something they're able to get working eventually, but I certainly wouldn't want them to offer it if there's any risk of breaking the character in the process.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's really not that hard to level to 80 - a few days' work at most. Since mount and gear are account rather than character-bound, it's not that much effort to get a new toon "on its feet," so to speak. Yes, obviously there is more to it than that - having to run around and grab hero points again, and potentially even play some of the story. But this isn't an EVE Online-like investment where rerolling is literally throwing away years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm curious the reasons people want this vs. making a new character, if that could provide any kind of insight into a possible alternative solution. For example, the main reason I'd want this is so I don't lose character age for birthday gifts. I doubt I will ever buy bag or template slots, but if I had any, I also wouldn't want to lose that investment. OTOH, I don't think I'd care much if I lost story completion (in other words, that aspect doesn't hold me back from deleting and making a new character, but the other things would).

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

And people yell at me for suggesting the posters use the forums search function.

It doesn't really matter if people want to discuss topics that have already been discussed. Peoples minds change and new players come onto the forums. Also they may have missed the discussion and don't want to comment on a dead thread that no one will respond too. Just don't respond or read another thread if you've seen it before it's not like there's a huge amount of activity in the guild wars 2 discussion thread anywayyyyyyyy. More the merrier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

>make new character

>use lvl 80 boost

>ignore personal story

>do what you do already

>profit

Or rather:

Store gear/inventory in bank->delete your character->create a new character of a different race with same name and class->instalevel to 80 and instaunlock all elites->grab your gear/inventory from the bank.

Bonus points for repurchasing all character gempurchases (bagslots, templates).

Even more bonus points for redoing all stories exactly to the point your previous character was.

Congratulations, you've race changed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Zohane.7208 said:

I believe it's actually technically not possible [...]

It's a piece of software and therefore never really a question of possible or not possible. It's all about return of investment. Devs have repeatedly explained race change would be difficult, meaning: Anet would have to put a lot of effort into it, and most probably the demand for a feature like this isn't big enough to justify the development ressources. Business 101.

Personally I don't get it why anybody would ask for that at all. But I'm probably to much into the R of RPG. My Norn characters have distinct Norn (or nordic) names, my Charr names follow Charr naming conventions. I don't play toons named "xxXSuperMariosCousinXxx" or something like that, it would break my immersion. If I want to play some new character, different race, different gender, different profession I simply create one and level them up. Even without boosters it's insanely fast pace levelling now with the new achievements and their xp gain. So I can't really imagine the demand for a race change option in gem store would be big enough. But that's a completely uneducated guess.

Another point to consider: How many people buying a race change voucher in gem store would later demand a refund for gear they can't use any longer because it's culture locked? That's even more an issue with profession change - people whining afterwards they can't use their expensive legandary heavy armour any longer after switching to a class wearing medium? It would happen for sure, if something is really unavoidable in this world it's people being stupid. And support would have to deal with them in some way, wouldn't they?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Shrike Arghast.3856 said:

. Since mount and gear are account rather than character-bound

Ascended and legendary gear are account bound but exotics and lower are generally soulbound to one character.

OP, it isnt necessarily a matter of truly impossible but rather how much would it cost to do (in terms of time, energy, payroll, opportunity cost, etc) relative to what they might expect to see as a return.

• Confused 1

yawn. yadayada search function, yadayada many such threads, all answers are there. inb4 they did mounts, yada yada got to weigh costs against ioncome and anet probably did that and then decided to pay that money to someone to make a few fishing rod skins yada same old same old...

Also they can sell you character slots which is probably easier and cheaper than making race change possible.

Also, also race doesn't matter outside of the looks.

Also, also, also just think about what characters you want to create and you will create less but higher quality toons which will make you more unique and hopefully happier.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1