When I read that WvW is a cornerstone of the game...

Ronin.4501

When I read that WvW is a cornerstone of the game I...  

125 members have voted

1. 1. When I read that WvW is a cornerstone of the game I...

• Laughed so hard I almost wet myself
    • Didn't believe it for a second
    • I'll believe it when I see it
    • I fully believe it, but I also believe in Unicorns and Pixies
    • It seems plausible
    • I'm new here and have no opinion

1 hour ago, Ronin.4501 said:

Just curious to see what others thought of this statement, especially the vet players of WvW.

I literally, was excited... then I remembered I posted about alliances for years before they actually did anything even to the point where the meme was ded, my hopes are low.

I am more worried they will half way release alliances and say it's the best they ever done like red BL on HoT launch and will finally be the nail in the coffin for wvw for me.

Because ANET never does what they said in their post. iteration. Even with them saying it, it's Collin, and we all know he is all hype, no follow through in a timely manner.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Josh Davis is back and EOTM arena was reworked this year.

Alliances are slated to be tested this year.

Why the negativity?

Examples of things that would have been okay if ironed out before dropping it on WVW:
* lagfest desert BL laser event which was removed
* warclaw that originally came without dismount options and 3 dodges

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 5

On 7/21/2021 at 7:25 PM, Infusion.7149 said:

Josh Davis is back and EOTM arena was reworked this year.

Alliances are slated to be tested this year.

Why the negativity?

Examples of things that would have been okay if ironed out before dropping it on WVW:
* lagfest desert BL laser event which was removed
* warclaw that originally came without dismount options and 3 dodges

This thread is not so much based on what may or may not become of WvW, but rather the notion that "WvW is a cornerstone of the game", which is laughable.  Almost everything that is done in PvE affects play in WvW, and 90% of the time changes that are made to "improve" game-play in PvE negatively impact game-play in WvW, which to me clearly indicates that when the devs are thinking up changes to PvE, there is no consideration being made with how it will affect WvW.  So when they come out now stating otherwise, it feels like a bunch of BS.

Furthermore, I made this post because I want the devs to know what they're up against.  They've lost the faith of a large percentage of the veteran players who've managed to stick around all these years, and if they really want to bring us back in, then they need to make a real effort, and not just offer more lip service followed up by...well what we've seen them follow up with year after year in the past.

Edited by Ronin.4501
simple edit to calm Sobx.1758's hissy-fit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Still find it kinda funny that Colin comes back from Amazon and suddenly they want to make wvw important again... right as when New World is ready to come out.

Hmmmmmmmmmm......

Here's hopium/copium bois, please don't goooo!

I've had access to new world beta for like the last 6 months. I played it for ~5 hours in the last 6 months.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Justine.6351 said:

I've had access to new world beta for like the last 6 months. I played it for ~5 hours in the last 6 months.

I played the beta last summer and felt it wasn't for me either. Watching streams now still doesn't spark much, I love wvw, despite how little I play it these days. But that doesn't mean there isn't any wvw players that wouldn't jump ship. Especially since the expansion has been delayed.

I hope Anet is serious about wvw "this time". On the other hand there's so much wrong right now for me with wvw and it's metas, and some of it isn't even going to be resolved until the expansion, if at all. How many others feel the same as me? /shrug

20 hours ago, frickenreesh.7068 said:

I literally, was excited... then I remembered I posted about alliances for years before they actually did anything even to the point where the meme was ded, my hopes are low.

I am more worried they will half way release alliances and say it's the best they ever done like red BL on HoT launch and will finally be the nail in the coffin for wvw for me.

Because ANET never does what they said in their post. iteration. Even with them saying it, it's Collin, and we all know he is all hype, no follow through in a timely manner.

I am a bit on defensive as well, i kinda liked Red Map(expected an evolution of the WvW rules over time) but hated the central weapon, issue with red map is that invites for players to play a game that does not fit wich is controling map zones, it conflicts with the ktrain or bail out to closest caped struture wich is what WvW is from the start.

If  desert map  and WvW were improved over time  it could have worked arround the defensive/offensive  control objectives.

Maybe with alliances with red map at least can receive some treatment towards that, being the game more towards take objectives and defend objectives as events, rather ktrains tryign to rush empty structures, if those are the changes imo its a great improvement as a start .

But if its just a way to end servers and stack players diferently will be for sure a half done job...wich i fear can be abandoned.

The problem on WvW was the lack of in depth rules/mechanics. To much open gate kill lord move to next that is not being defended, plus population timezone diference, even with link feels like we are figthing only servers that dont play at out timezone mostly, it ends a ktrain and be ktrainted timezone swap.

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

To much open gate kill lord move to next that is not being defended, plus population timezone diference, even with link feels like we are figthing only servers that dont play at out timezone mostly, it ends a ktrain and be ktrainted timezone swap.

Most suggestions here are scoffed at in this forum because a lot of people want exactly that. WvW isn't an open world pvp mode but then it's not an ongoing overlapping front of battles and siege either. Anytime there's a suggestion touching on either of those directions it gets shot down but then people still complain and spam about Alliances When even though that's going to be the same WvW they know and complain about but with easier transfers. 

Edited by kash.9213
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Did they honestly say that though?

23 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

This thread is not so much based on what may or may not become of WvW, but rather the notion that "WvW has always been a cornerstone of the game", which is laughable.

I take you/everyone here is referring to this post: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-july-2021/ 

In the "Alliance's When?" section, last paragraph, the "Guild Wars 2 Team" writes:

- "Our communication regarding this feature over the last few years missed the mark. In the past, development priorities shifted away from WvW, and unfortunately both World Restructuring and our players suffered as a result. Our new leadership team views WvW as a cornerstone mode of Guild Wars 2, and it will be a focus of ours going forward."

There is no mention of WvW "always" or "is" a cornerstone of the game here that suggests that WvW has been. They sound to me like they are admitting that WvW has not been a "cornerstone" concerning the "old" leadership and how the "new" leadership "will" view WvW that way.

Whether or not "new" leadership "will" live up to their "new" standards is going to be for another story further down the road.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Whiteout.1975 said:

Did they honestly say that though?

I take you/everyone here is referring to this post: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-july-2021/ 

In the "Alliance's When?" section, last paragraph, the "Guild Wars 2 Team" writes:

- "Our communication regarding this feature over the last few years missed the mark. In the past, development priorities shifted away from WvW, and unfortunately both World Restructuring and our players suffered as a result. Our new leadership team views WvW as a cornerstone mode of Guild Wars 2, and it will be a focus of ours going forward."

There is no mention of WvW "always" or "is" a cornerstone of the game here that suggests that WvW has been. They sound to me like they are admitting that WvW has not been a "cornerstone" concerning the "old" leadership and how the "new" leadership "will" view WvW that way.

Whether or not "new" leadership "will" live up to their "new" standards is going to be for another story further down the road.

You can take the text of what they say and break it down however you like.  You're also welcome to believe that they're being genuine, which is another reason I made the poll; As I stated above, I wanted to hear what others thought in regards to the statement they made.  Personally, I've been around in this game long enough that I don't really believe what they're saying anymore, and until they follow up their words with actual actions that seem to benefit the community-at-large (there will always be some who are unhappy no matter what direction you go in), I'll keep on believing that.  Trust me, I'd LOVE for them to prove me wrong.  But it hasn't happened yet.