Why is this even possible?

Thief "bountiful theft" keeps cheese like this in check. This is an l2p issue, you should have used steal as soon as you were dismounted to rip the boon stacks. If you aren't using bountiful theft then you aren't playing thief correctly.

In short..... BUFF THIEF

Edited by Bear.9568
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Why would you not assign that to a macro again?

Also, from my roaming experience, power soulbeast is one of the only ways to deal with trailblazer minonmancer scourges and gets absolutely hardcountered by a good spellbreaker due to the blocks and boon rip.  

This 'one shot' stuff is just meme though and I rarely ever see it myself; probably because as we all learned in the topic dismounting before it is over or stunbreaking out right after will end their burst potential and they'll go back in their structure of choice.  

You could assign it to macro but if you’re using the build to actually fight people then you don’t wanna blow the entire combo instantly. Sometimes you wanna wait a second or so before you engage, or use smokeassault at a later time. Unless ofc you are afk like OP is in the clip then go ahead. 

Minion mancer heavily counters this type of soulbeast. They can do practically nothing unless they run heavy on condi cleanse, but that build doesn’t have as much damage. All you can really do is run away. 

24 minutes ago, Bear.9568 said:

Thief "bountiful theft" keeps cheese like this in check. This is an l2p issue, you should have used steal as soon as you were dismounted to rip the boon stacks. If you aren't using bountiful theft then you aren't playing thief correctly.

In short..... BUFF THIEF

Uh.. yes and no? Lol. 

yes the boonrip on steal is what dismantles a rapidfire burst especially if they’re stupid enough to use stab before attacking. 

idk if I would buff thief tho 🙂

1 hour ago, bigo.9037 said:

You could assign it to macro but if you’re using the build to actually fight people then you don’t wanna blow the entire combo instantly. Sometimes you wanna wait a second or so before you engage, or use smokeassault at a later time. Unless ofc you are afk like OP is in the clip then go ahead. 

Minion mancer heavily counters this type of soulbeast. They can do practically nothing unless they run heavy on condi cleanse, but that build doesn’t have as much damage. All you can really do is run away. 

My main point on the macro is I don't think it can be done with a normal rotation like it was shown in the OP's video.  If someone wants to disprove that and show their skillbar / activations then go ahead.  

Also minonmancer maybe counters 1-shot builds like this but definitely not power soulbeast in general.  But minionmancer is also a meme, running MH axe they are trivial if you don't literally stand in the condis.  I mean sure they have a lot of HP / toughness but that goes away pretty quick with 3K axe autos lol.  

Anyway, I guess the whole point is no one should ever be losing to this type of gank build unless they were caught off guard like OP was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Inflexibility.

^

Its 3 buttons and gw2 allows keybind customization.

With the right equipment and a bit of thought, the combo is essentially effortless.

Or at least I find it effortless.. But I grew up playing street fighter 2 for a third of my lunch money a down.

<,<

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HARDOFREADING.7298 said:

We've all been saying how unfair Ranger is right now for a long time.   Do this.....go back 18 months and count the exact number of nerfs Rangers have received in WvW and then compare that to the number of thief or mesmer nerfs for the past 18 months.

The difference is staggering.....Now I know the exact answer to my request but I think it's long overdue someone else looks at this.

What was done to wvw is disgusting. We're all made to suffer because of the class biases that have no business being in a game of GW2's caliber.

LoL The easymode burst...the  range advantage....the comical spammability with regards to skill strings.   Comically unfair.

We need people to post more examples of this kind of exploitation.

Such a pile of crap.  I can play almost any class, including my ranger and deal with rangers just fine.  l2p… period.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

This 'one shot' stuff is just meme though and I rarely ever see it myself; probably because as we all learned in the topic dismounting before it is over or stunbreaking out right after will end their burst potential and they'll go back in their structure of choice.  

^This.  And lol at "go back in their structure of choice."

3 hours ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Inflexibility.

You can have a macro set up, but you don't have to use it.  You can still do everything manually as you see fit, but when that "reck noob who thinks they're safe on Warclaw" scenario comes up, you can delete them with one button lol.  Heck, the ranger in the vid might as well set up a corpse jump + siege toss macro.  They probably do it enough, it would make sense.  :classic_laugh:

3 hours ago, Bear.9568 said:

In short..... BUFF THIEF

(1) Wasn't in Swipe range, (2) even if I was, I would have had to know I could break out of the dismount animation and do so before I was vaporized in the air.  In case you missed it, I was downed before my character landed on the ground.

But yes, BUFF TEEF! 😛

2 hours ago, bigo.9037 said:

Why must people (usually Ranger players) exaggerate my part in this?  It's pretty amazing how so many act like this never happened to them, ever.  Until experienced at least once, how is anyone supposed to know that base character stats are applied during the dismount animation and stun breaks can be used while ragdolling in the air, even before you land?

Judging by the fact that only one person in this discussion finally answered my question at the top of page 4 by confirming that we can indeed use stun breaks during the airborne dismount animation, I doubt many people actually knew this.  Or they would have said it much earlier to hit me with "l2p."

Again, this isn't a ranger hate topic.  Memebeast is far from the only degenerate build.  This is about the bizarre behavior of the forced Warclaw dismount that is pretty much certain to catch everyone off guard the first time they're affected by it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

Why must people (usually Ranger players) exaggerate my part in this?  It's pretty amazing how so many act like this never happened to them, ever.  Until experienced at least once, how is anyone supposed to know that base character stats are applied during the dismount animation and stun breaks can be used while ragdolling in the air, even before you land?

As a ranger player, I get 1 shot all the time, usually by like 5+ other players ganking me. But I’ve never gone from warclaw to instant downed like what’s in your video, that to me is a bit suss, but as a ranger, I can do the combo as well, but the speed at which it was done is well beyond what I can do at 300ping, which sucks lol

15 hours ago, Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

^This.  And lol at "go back in their structure of choice."

You can have a macro set up, but you don't have to use it.  You can still do everything manually as you see fit, but when that "reck noob who thinks they're safe on Warclaw" scenario comes up, you can delete them with one button lol.  Heck, the ranger in the vid might as well set up a corpse jump + siege toss macro.  They probably do it enough, it would make sense.  :classic_laugh:

(1) Wasn't in Swipe range, (2) even if I was, I would have had to know I could break out of the dismount animation and do so before I was vaporized in the air.  In case you missed it, I was downed before my character landed on the ground.

But yes, BUFF TEEF! 😛

Judging by the fact that only one person in this discussion finally answered my question at the top of page 4 by confirming that we can indeed use stun breaks during the airborne dismount animation, I doubt many people actually knew this.  Or they would have said it much earlier to hit me with "l2p."

Again, this isn't a ranger hate topic.  Memebeast is far from the only degenerate build.  This is about the bizarre behavior of the forced Warclaw dismount that is pretty much certain to catch everyone off guard the first time they're affected by it.

Idk man in game lots of people stunbreak the moment they get dismounted so I didn’t think this was some kinda unknown thing. Sorry you didn’t know about it I guess. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

My main point on the macro is I don't think it can be done with a normal rotation like it was shown in the OP's video.  If someone wants to disprove that and show their skillbar / activations then go ahead.  

Also minonmancer maybe counters 1-shot builds like this but definitely not power soulbeast in general.  But minionmancer is also a meme, running MH axe they are trivial if you don't literally stand in the condis.  I mean sure they have a lot of HP / toughness but that goes away pretty quick with 3K axe autos lol.  

Anyway, I guess the whole point is no one should ever be losing to this type of gank build unless they were caught off guard like OP was.

Look… after you pop all the buffs.. you only have to press 2 buttons to apply the damage. Rapidfire and smokeassault. 

i find it more sus OP doesn’t show his skillbar in the clip than what the soulbeast is pulling off.

warclaw absolutely melts to a properly built yolo 1shot soulbeast especially if you don’t run durability runes which proc protection on the Mount. With 0 stunbreaks, 0 protection, only base medium armor it’s easily doable to take out 15-18k hp from a medium armor target in .5s. 

1 rapidfire hit with these buffs can hit 2.5k depending on which static buffs they have, sigil of bloodlust + ferocity signet + guild aura , with might stacks it’s easily possible to hit 3k per hit. 
so in .5s You should hit at least 4 of those with quickness, thats 8-10k. Then there’s OWP which hits about 50% more, that can proc twice as well, let’s simplify this and say 3.5k X 2 = 7k Now you’re already at 15-17k dmg… then you pop smokeassault to close the gap between the rapidfire hits cus it’s instant cast, hits about 2.5-3k per hit as well to get up to about 19-20~k and there’s your hp bar gone in 0.5 seconds. Again, OP doesn’t show what buffs the ranger has and doesn’t show his own skill bar which is very misleading.

if you add in the mount of 12k hp, You just let rapidfire run its course for another 4-5 hits.

Edited by bigo.9037
Owp is stronger than I first assumed

This bug has been there since mounts were added, what was said about armor stats is likely most of the problem, but since I always ran glass I'm used to having the base 11k hp, the mount has 2k-3k, when your first dismounted, mine typically changes to 5k then 11k in a very short window, as the entire UI disappears sometimes you'll see it, getting dismounted cc's you, all they need to do is a short sustained burst, rapid fire is 99% the culprit because it can't be a single hard hit, and the few skills capable are all melee range.

6 hours ago, bigo.9037 said:

Look… after you pop all the buffs.. you only have to press 2 buttons to apply the damage. Rapidfire and smokeassault. 

i find it more sus OP doesn’t show his skillbar in the clip than what the soulbeast is pulling off.

warclaw absolutely melts to a properly built yolo 1shot soulbeast especially if you don’t run durability runes which proc protection on the Mount. With 0 stunbreaks, 0 protection, only base medium armor it’s easily doable to take out 15-18k hp from a medium armor target in .5s. 

1 rapidfire hit with these buffs can hit 2.5k depending on which static buffs they have, sigil of bloodlust + ferocity signet + guild aura , with might stacks it’s easily possible to hit 3k per hit. 
so in .5s You should hit at least 4 of those with quickness, thats 8-10k. Then there’s OWP which hits about 50% more, that can proc twice as well, let’s simplify this and say 3.5k X 2 = 7k Now you’re already at 15-17k dmg… then you pop smokeassault to close the gap between the rapidfire hits cus it’s instant cast, hits about 2.5-3k per hit as well to get up to about 19-20~k and there’s your hp bar gone in 0.5 seconds. Again, OP doesn’t show what buffs the ranger has and doesn’t show his own skill bar which is very misleading.

if you add in the mount of 12k hp, You just let rapidfire run its course for another 4-5 hits.

One wolf pack will only deal damage once in .5 seconds. It should be proccing every 1/4sec, then dealing damage another 1/4sec later, but because it cannot proc again till after the damage has been delivered, it procs damage every .5 seconds.

7 hours ago, bigo.9037 said:

Idk man in game lots of people stunbreak the moment they get dismounted so I didn’t think this was some kinda unknown thing. Sorry you didn’t know about it I guess. 

I'm going to assume you haven't read the edits to the OP or replies to others in here.  I was downed before my character even hit the ground.  I'm used to stun breaking once I'm on the ground following a forced-dismount, and was planning to do that here.  I did not know you can stunbreak during the dismount animation while your character is still flying through the air.  I'm willing to bet most people didn't/don't know that either, which would explain why no one answered this question I asked repeatedly--can you use stunbreak during the dismount animation--until UmbraNoctis did at the bottom of page 3.

Again, OP doesn’t show what buffs the ranger has and doesn’t show his own skill bar which is very misleading.

Here we go again... 😑  Going to copy a previous reply to people making similar comments:

On 8/3/2021 at 3:58 AM, Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

I'll copy what I said to UmbraNoctis some posts up:

The clip is cropped to leave out the UI elements, which weren't particularly relevant.  I'm not so hardcore that I leave the combat log up, so that's not even available.  The only other thing would be the skillbar, which wouldn't be all that useful considering there was no actual "fight" in this clip.  People have already asked about my HP and I answered them.  I guess I need to put it in the OP at this point because people don't read my replies.

The only info I think might be relevant, which I gladly provided to anyone who asked, is what my HP, stats, and armor were.  I also included that I was on a pretty vanilla meta build.  Nothing remarkable about my character such as being full glass or running a janky build that would explain being vaporized that fast.

EDIT: That said, I have nothing to hide.  If you think seeing the skill bar, which is basically the Warclaw skill bar and health pool and then a fleeting view of my character's skill bar with skills disabled by the CC, and the total HP not even visible because the numbers flash so fast as it's zeroed out, [would be helpful,] I can make a new version.  I really don't see how it would help though.

Also, I did add a shot of the Soulbeast's buffs in response to someone on page 2 (within 24 hours of the OP), which is also visible from the link to the screenshot in the OP:

https://imgur.com/a/anUCLSR

Still sus?  As concluded above, the reason this whole incident "doesn't feel right" to both me and the Ranger Police might be the base armor bug in forced dismounts.  The real question is: Is this something we want in this game?

So now it's everyone's responsibility to wear durability runes? 😆

By the way, I'm pretty sure I was wiped by the RF burst alone (combat log wasn't up unfortunately).  I don't think SA was even necessary and probably just force of habit or part of the macro rotation. 🤣

Anyway, what you just laid out there basically proves Ranger damage was not hit nearly as hard as other classes since the February 2020 update.  I'm still not saying Rangers need changes.  But let's at least agree Ranger is unique in having a build capable of such ridiculousness.  At least, I'm not aware of any other build capable of doing what's in the clip.

7 hours ago, avey.4201 said:

This bug has been there since mounts were added, what was said about armor stats is likely most of the problem, but since I always ran glass I'm used to having the base 11k hp, the mount has 2k-3k, when your first dismounted, mine typically changes to 5k then 11k in a very short window, as the entire UI disappears sometimes you'll see it, getting dismounted cc's you, all they need to do is a short sustained burst, rapid fire is 99% the culprit because it can't be a single hard hit, and the few skills capable are all melee range.

Exactly.  I think this is bordering on being an exploit.  The base armor bug during forced dismount creates a situation where something like Ranger's RF burst is uniquely situated to exploit the bug by dealing huge damage at millisecond intervals, over the course of the RF channel.  That is, it's pretty much guaranteed to hit during the small window when your character is naked stat-wise.  It's patently unhealthy, even if it isn't common.  I don't think anyone who plays the game seriously thinks this should be a thing.

Punishing us with a CC for allowing our Warclaw to die under us is one thing.  But briefly removing our armor as well is another thing.  The solution is to fix the armor bug if possible.  No changes to Ranger.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 6:47 PM, Abyssisis.3971 said:

The guy is using WS, BM and soulbeast, he would possibly had 4 multipliers working for him and had sup runes of the firework and used sic em, qz, rapid fire, smoke assault, wi and owp to down player, after which he would have nothing left but to hope the target was dead. Ahha

Having been hit by an 7-8k arc dividers yesterday by a warrior, I’m pretty sure melee classes can output enough damage to down a player if slotting glass and using 6 skills to do so lol

So it's a ranged version of the signet thief build from years ago which had less damage, which was melee and they gutted by the aforementioned damage modifier removal.  Same number of utilities burned, and the thief has less HP and could get blinded, dodged, or hit Aegis and have the whole thing negated. 

I understand how modifiers work.  No other build today gets them like this is my point, especially from so much safety in range. 

Also, talking about a 9k arc divider/warrior in general as having competitive damage?... 

• Like 1

@Aeolus.3615 @Woop S.7851 @Gotejjeken.1267 @Abyssisis.3971 @ArchonWing.9480

Tagged you guys because you all questioned how fast the Soulbeast's skills executed.  Hope you don't mind.

So I ran into him again today and he was up to the same shenanigans.  Trying to burst me then bail into his keep when pressured.  But that's not the interesting part.

Later, apparently he was trying to ambush some of us taking the SEC.  Check out this screen.  We found him completely frozen in place.  Notice he was taking no damage and the "Out of range!" indicator for my shortbow autos.  I know this can happen due to lag, server desyncs, or D/Cs.  But could this also suggest something about his net or latency did come into play the other day, or that he's up to something fishy? 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

Tagged you guys because you all questioned how fast the Soulbeast's skills executed.  Hope you don't mind.

So I ran into him again today and he was up to the same shenanigans.  Trying to burst me then bail into his keep when pressured.  But that's not the interesting part.

Later, apparently he was trying to ambush some of us taking the SEC.  Check out this screen.  We found him completely frozen in place.  Notice he was taking no damage and the "Out of range!" indicator for my shortbow autos.  I know this can happen due to lag, server desyncs, or D/Cs.  But could this also suggest something about his net or latency did come into play the other day, or that he's up to something fishy? 🤔

I mean it wouldn't surprise me; I'm still convinced there was something weird going on with the rapid fire into smoke assault--that is, from the video, the distance you had covered on the warclaw should have gotten you out of range of smoke assault.  

I've ran into plenty of scourges teleport hacking (not trying to single out a spec but it was literally always scourges lol) so it wouldn't surprise me if someone was 'lag switching'.  

Especially someone from Mag (sorry not sorry 🤣)

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

He is on his mount. Mount desyncs are very common. Nothing suspicious about that.

Neither is there anything wrong about what's shown in the video. RF takes about 1,7s with quickness. That lines up with the time in the vid - slightly less than 2 seconds - from the first bow hit to downstate (count poison ticks if you don't believe me). Most (if not all) of smoke assault dmg happens afterwards and gets absorbed by the down invuln. The dmg numbers themself are also nothing impossible. ~1,5k*10 from RF +~2k*5 from OWP, that's easy 25k dmg with some crit luck (~23k were needed in the vid, since mount already had lost hp).

Is that a lot of dmg? Absolutely. Can it get countered. Yes. Which is why i don't have any problems with that build (and it is also the main difference to other common "oneshot" builds, that might deal less dmg with their initial burst, but the dmg happens pretty much instantly and from stealth, so there is less counterplay). OP had several seconds to prepare for what was coming and still took the entire burst to the face. I think death is a reasonable outcome in that case.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Is that a lot of dmg? Absolutely. Can it get countered. Yes. Which is why i don't have any problems with that build ... OP had several seconds to prepare for what was coming and still took the entire burst to the face. I think death is a reasonable outcome in that case.

Forced dismount weirdness... first time... didn't know... lesson learned.

I don't think I have problems with that build either as long as I'm not CC'd and temporarily naked from forced dismount.  I mean between today and that other day, this guy probably tried to burst me at least half a dozen times, but he never succeeded when I was on foot (even today when he thought he snuck up on me while I was capping the SE Sentry) and he had to run into his Keep every time.  The one time he got me was in the OP clip while I was on Warclaw trying not to waste time with him. 😕

Edited by Twilight Tempest.7584
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

I get the odd player that’s desynced frozen in a single spot and reading “out of range” as well. I don’t assume it’s a hack or something as the servers are kinda crappy, unless there are other things that are bot like.

Personally, I reckon the guy is somewhat  experienced and decent internet to pull of sic me, qz, owp, rapidfire, smoke assault and WI as quickly and smoothly as he did. But honestly, being mag, wouldn’t surprise me 1 bit if he was using a macro to do the combo. Lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I've ran into plenty of scourges teleport hacking (not trying to single out a spec but it was literally always scourges lol) so it wouldn't surprise me if someone was 'lag switching'.  

Especially someone from Mag (sorry not sorry 🤣)

So...

You're saying this was your first experience with a mount ghost?

Three years after warclaw release, must be teleport hacking?

2 hours ago, Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

Forced dismount weirdness... first time... didn't know... lesson learned.

I don't think I have problems with that build either as long as I'm not CC'd and temporarily naked from forced dismount.  I mean between today and that other day, this guy probably tried to burst me at least half a dozen times, but he never succeeded when I was on foot (even today when he thought he snuck up on me while I was capping the SE Sentry) and he had to run into his Keep every time.  The one time he got me was in the OP clip while I was on Warclaw trying not to waste time with him. 😕

So and correct me if I am wrong with what I'm taking away from all of this.

You dont have a problem that he was able to take you off your mount, his build or his damage output.

You now realise that this is a mount/player dismounting issue, which theoretically could be carried out by any class if it had sufficent damage/burst.

You've also from your encounters with him learned and adapted your play?

Edited by Andy.5981

1 hour ago, LetoII.3782 said:

So...

You're saying this was your first experience with a mount ghost?

Three years after warclaw release, must be teleport hacking?

Nah, the teleport hacking is in downstate.  A few players would teleport around like thieves while on their scourges clipping into the ground and walls and such.  

I guess if giving the benefit of the doubt what we've seen here in the topic could be lag like what happens with dolyaks sometimes-- that is, you hit them but shows out of range as they are not where they appear on screen.  

Not sure though.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I guess if giving the benefit of the doubt what we've seen here in the topic could be lag like what happens with dolyaks sometimes-- that is, you hit them but shows out of range as they are not where they appear on screen.  

Not sure though.  

For the warclaw, yep thats common desync. I see it several times a day sometimes. The glider also still have the same thing. Downed that cant be hit, same thing. With a ranged weapon you can track down their real location. As long as they just run they'll stay desynced, when they do something (dismount, use a skill, catch on fire etc) the game updates.